PDA

View Full Version : Aces is Negative!!! He is at home with me!

kt_luvs_kitties
05-09-2007, 07:42 PM
Aces now has tested negative for all disease TWICE! She did not snap the test, so it did not read right! I was so upset. When I thought he had it, I immediately freaked out and was thinking of just boarding him until something popped up! WHEW! Glad I checked and made them retest. I just hope I did not get the tech in trouble :o
He does have a old spinal cord injury that makes his hind legs wobbly and makes his walk funny(he even falls over sometimes). It is mainly in his left hind leg. Doc said that he might need xrays in the future, but that he is in no pain as of now. He should lead a normal (but wobbly) life.
He got his exam, combo test, and rabies shot. I put revolution on him already. He is getting a bath and ear cleaning tonight.. He STINKS! But he is now in my bathroom, comfy, dry and fed. I stopped by the family dollar and bought him a disposable potty pan (roasting dish) and a few toys.
He is also about 3- 4 years old. I will post the pictures in a bit.
* as the tech drew blood, he purred and made happy feet all over her ;) *

Scooter's Mom
05-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Awww, Aces is such a good boy!
Give him lots of hugs from me, please.

AbbyMom
05-09-2007, 09:49 PM
What a relief! What a sweetheart!

Catlady711
05-10-2007, 12:26 AM
I'm glad to hear Aces tested ok the second time!

Those snap tests have to be 'snapped' as soon as a color indicator shows in a little window. If it isn't done then it does mess up the test. I'm only a vet assistant and I know that, the directions specify that, and it's so easy anyone could do it after one demonstration, I can find very little excuse for a vet tech to not do that. If they were busy someone would just have to wait a few seconds until after she 'snapped' the test and she could help them then because the test runs for 10 minutes by itself after the 'snap' part.

Don't worry about getting the tech into trouble, it's her job to know how to run those tests and to make SURE they are run correctly just for reasons like you ran into today.

Assuming they used the same one we do, this is what they look like.

Idexx snap FELV/FIV combo tests (http://www.idexx.com.au/animalhealth/testkits/fivfelv/)

You add two drops of blood with the pipette thing into the vial, then add two drops of the solution, turn invert the vial 3 times gently to mix it up, pour it into a little 'well' in the test, wait less than a minute for the color change window to turn, snap the kit down to release a chemical inside the test, wait 10 minutes, read the results against the chart that came with the kit. It's not difficult.

Lizzie
05-10-2007, 12:39 AM
Katie - I am so glad that Aces has tested negative and is now in a safe and comfortable place. He must feel so good, out of the dangers of being a wobbly cat in the wild. He's now taken a major step towards a much brighter future. I'm sure he will make someone a very wonderful companion. I can imagine how you felt when the test came back positive the first time. That happened to me with my second set of fosters, although in my case they truly were FeLV+. There is a sense of horrified disbelief, a scrambling in your mind on how you can save those cats and protect you own, it's an awful thing to go through. Did you get a nice donation to help with all those costs or did you somehow come up with the funds? You are going through all this for, what, 8 fosters now?

smokey the elder
05-10-2007, 09:52 AM
Aces, what a good boy you were at the vet!

Reachoutrescue
05-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Katie, I am very happy that Aces is negative. I hope his injury heals nicely. Good job with this guy....and all the others as well.

orangemm
05-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Can't wait to see pictures of Aces! So glad the news is good!!

catmandu
05-10-2007, 04:26 PM
With All The Pet Talkers And The Pet Angels And Pet Companions Praying For Him
Aces Has Passed His Tests!!
Thats Wonderful News And We Cant Wait To See Aces, And If You Pm Us We Will Send An Animal Welfare Mousie Out To A Very Lucky Cat.
Hes Aces With Us!!