PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on my puppy's breed?

ktc1981
05-09-2007, 08:42 AM
Hello, I haven't been on here in a while. My husband and I just adopted a new puppy over Easter weekend. We got her from a shelter in Illinois. She was one of a litter of eight. The issue we're having on figuring out her breed is that her littermates all look different. Sam, our little girl, is white with a black spot over her left eye and a black right ear. She's 11 weeks old and 12 lbs. She was 6 lbs when we got her at 6 weeks. She's been growing faster than we orginally thought.
During her first vet visit, they estimated her to be a smaller-medium dog. Perhaps around 35-40 lbs (like her mother). Of her other litter mates there were two all-black ones, two that looked like rotts, one that was light brown like the mom, and one black with white markings.
I'm going to attempt to attach images of Sam and her mom and if you guys can help me figure out what's in her, my husband and I would be grateful.
I know she may be too little at this point to figure it out - but her markings, her white, fluffy coat, and her growing rate leads us to believe that there is no terrier in her.
THANK YOU!!

Karen
05-09-2007, 09:03 AM
Sam's mom looks like a true Heinz 57 - many breeds in one dog. Sam herself has Jack Russellish markings right now, but it'll be easier to tell when she grows up a bit more, as many breeds look similar as pups. Those markings could also be Border Collie (which would account for fluffier fur), Boxer
(which might account for the wider-than-terrier face), it could be that daddy was a well-mixed mix as well!

My guarantee - she's 100% canine cuteness!

flipgirl
05-09-2007, 09:12 PM
I'd agree with a border collie but maybe some American Bulldog or American Staffordshire terrier? But I would also agree that she is 100% canine cuteness!!!

Flatcoatluver
05-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Sam has a patch on his face just like my boy T.j! She is so cute! The mom looked like a terrier mix, but since this puppy looks so much different from the mother, I have no idea. But she does look like she has border collie. :)

pitc9
05-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Are you sure that pup came from that mom?? :p
Just kidding!

I can see a little husky in mom but like Karen said, she's got a few other breeds in her too!

Sam is TOO CUTE!! OMG!
It looks like part of a Rottie mask was put on his face.
(the tan eyebrows that Rotties have) How Neat!!

The more Sam grows you'll see different breeds in him.
Congrats on your new pup and THANKS FOR ADOPTING!!!

buttercup132
05-10-2007, 05:33 PM
It looks like part of a Rottie mask was put on his face.
(the tan eyebrows that Rotties have) How Neat!!
That's what I thought and the fact that she said the other puppies looked like Rots makes me think she has Rottie in her and Jack Russle. And a whole bunch of other breeds along with those two.

She is really really cute! I hope you post more pictures as she grows.

tikeyas_mom
05-10-2007, 08:39 PM
Whatever your puppy is, its sure a cutie pie!!! Love those markings!!!

Genny
05-10-2007, 10:40 PM
The mom looked like maybe she had some lab in her? but I don't know! The puppy is so adorable! I love her--how cute! Please send more pictures I would love to see what she turns out to look like when she's fulll grown!!!