PDA

View Full Version : I accidentally drank water from cat's cup, worried

kittybella
05-09-2007, 07:37 AM
Hello,

I know this sounds bizarre, but here is what happened. Like 5 days ago, I got a cup of water to help cool off one of my cats by pouring a little on her fur and then brushing her. Well, I left the cup on the floor, and my other cat (who has cat herpes, starting drinking from it. It was left there for days, and when he drinks water he can sometimes sneeze, and I know, it's so gross. By the way, my other cats have their own water bowls and tend not to go near his! lol Well, I had finally picked up the cup of water but left it on my breakfast bar, and a few more days after that, I got myself a cup of water early in the morning, and then put the cup down, and a bit later went to finish it, and this is when I accidentally picked up the wrong cup! Today I have a swollen sore throat which started late last night. I have read we can't get herpes from our cats, but I still feel a bit uneasy. Do you think my throat is this way just because it is responding to foreign germs, or whatever?? I know this is a bizarre post, but I am just concerned, and have learned my lesson when it comes to leaving cups around on the breakfast bar!

momcat
05-09-2007, 07:43 AM
Sounds like you need to see your doctor immediately if not sooner. Your sore throat could be due to just about anything; do you have allergies? Feel like you might be getting a cold? Explain what happened to your doctor and see what he has to say. Please let us know how you're doing?

catmandu
05-09-2007, 09:55 AM
I will call my Vet and ask but I dont think that Cats are able to pass things on to people.
We pray that your sore throats better soon.

Catlady711
05-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Info on zoonotic diseases (things you can catch from your pets)

CDC (Centers for Disease Control for the U.S.) (http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/browse_by_diseases.htm)

Cornell Feline Health Center (http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/ZoonoticDisease.html)

Either way a sore throat would be cause enough to visit the dr. it may totally be unrelated to your cat and simply a coincidence.