PDA

View Full Version : Hmm how to transport Ice Cream Cake??

Sirrahsim
05-09-2007, 07:32 AM
My husband is SO easy going and rarely asks for anything. His one request for his birthday next week is that I try to get him a real Dairy Queen ice cream cake! I live in the land of DQ but since we are so close to Oklahoma all we have is Braums :( The nearest DQ is around 30 minutes away.... Is there any way to get the cake and bring it home without it melting?? Would a cooler full of ice work?

catnapper
05-09-2007, 07:42 AM
Those things are rock solid when you buy them. In fact the directions say to leave it out at room temp for half an hour or so. I think you'll be fine to just leave it sitting on the front seat of the car (provided the air conditioning is runinng)

PS: my youngest daughter had an MRI done on her knee yesterday and we stopped at DQ on our way home. It was a half hour ride too. I bought a Blizzard for all of us. The youngest was the only one to eat hers in the car while I transported two Blizzards home for me and Ashley. Noooo problems getting home to nice creamy icecream. They weren't milkshakes ;)

Sirrahsim
05-09-2007, 07:59 AM
yay :) That's great news! Thanks :)

Daisy and Delilah
05-09-2007, 08:31 AM
No problemo, Missy. Kim is right. They are frozen beyond hard as a rock. Should be perfect by the time you get it home. :) :D :)

smokey the elder
05-09-2007, 08:45 AM
Yeah, I think their storage conditions are CF (cryogenically frozen), at less than -60 deg C! That's COLD! :p

Karen
05-09-2007, 09:00 AM
Hee hee - that's Paul's favorite birthday cake, too! And everyone's right - 30 minuites won't even BEGIN to melt it!

Sirrahsim
05-09-2007, 09:12 AM
I haven't had DQ since I was little so I had no idea how well frozen they were :) Thanks everybody!

moosmom
05-09-2007, 09:40 AM
Like Kim said, they are rock solid. When you are DYING for an ice cream cake, there is nothing worse than having to WAIT *foot tapping, sweating profusely, looking at watch, salivating* until a very sharp knife can cut into that sucker. :p :p

Cheesecake Blizzard with caramel, chocolate chips and whipped cream!!! YUM!

Believe me, it won't even BEGIN to melt.

Kfamr
05-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Please bring some of that cake down here to me in Brookeland, TX! :p

Taz_Zoee
05-09-2007, 09:42 AM
Oh my goodness!! Now I want ice cream, and it's only 7:40 in the morning!! :D

Chica
05-09-2007, 11:11 AM
The cake should be really hard from the freezer. So take it to the party right away and put it in the refrig. Let it get a little thawed before serving.I am getting a Carvel Icecream cake for my mom for Mother's Day.
Good Luck!!! :)

Lori Jordan
05-09-2007, 11:28 AM
My SIL is a manager at Dq so all our birthdays we get the icecream cake,and there is no way you could eat them right out of there freezer they are too hard and for the older ones in our family it hurts there teeth!

As said above,You will have lots of time and the cake will be perfect by the time you get home!

ramanth
05-09-2007, 11:40 AM
I am now craving an ice cream cake. ;) :D

Argranade
05-09-2007, 11:54 AM
Haha!

I hate cake so I always get Ice - cream cake every year.

It's just ice cream in the shape of a square. lol.

I geuss just keep the cool fan on in the car, they don't melt fast.

cassiesmom
05-09-2007, 04:15 PM
I don't know how they do it but DQ manages to freeze their ice cream cakes really, really solidly. They need time to warm up a bit before you can cut pieces. When I was going to college in Northwest Indiana, there was a DQ across the street from campus that closed after football season and re-opened in the spring. They've since built a bigger store and now open year round but one of my most precious college / student nurse memories is going to the DQ for the first time in the spring. Now I'm having a serious Blizzard craving. :D

moosmom
05-09-2007, 07:59 PM
*BURP* I just got back from DQ with a caramel chocolate crunch cheesecake blizzard. I'm happy!! :p :cool:

RICHARD
05-09-2007, 08:06 PM
Make him go with you and let him ride back with the cake in his lap..
Otherwise you'll be driving with one eye on the cake and the other on the road! :eek: ;)

Sirrahsim
05-09-2007, 09:24 PM
Make him go with you and let him ride back with the cake in his lap..
Otherwise you'll be driving with one eye on the cake and the other on the road! :eek: ;)
If I did that I would arrive at home with a husband with LOTS of broken teeth and ice cream all over!! The man LOVES ice cream cake :eek: :D

AdoreMyDogs
05-09-2007, 10:03 PM
sorry I don't have advice, but ...............................mmmmmmm DQ Ice Cream cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll take a piece :D

I had Braums hot fudge brownie sundae tonight.................mmmmmm Braums Hot Fudge Brownie Sundae..................mmmmmmmmmm now my belly hurts a bit from too much sugar, but MMMMMMMM it was GOOOOD!

Oh, and a happy B-day to your hubby :D

smokey the elder
05-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Now I'm jonesing for ice cream! :p

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Oh gosh, just be careful Missy, this situation is not what little "Alexander" likes...