PDA

View Full Version : Dog starved to death in cage

crow_noir
05-08-2007, 11:42 PM
:mad:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070508/METRO/705080368

Man jailed in dog's starving death

Two-year-old German shepherd died in a cage, 5 feet from food; owner gets 90 days.

Edward L. Cardenas / The Detroit News

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

MOUNT CLEMENS -- A 22-year-old man was sentenced Monday to spend the next 90 days in jail for starving his German shepherd to death in a cage in his Sterling Heights apartment while dog food sat nearby.

Jason Kraft pleaded guilty March 26 to charges of killing an animal and improper burial for not giving food, water or medicine to his 2-year-old dog, "Fonzi," as it slowly died in its cage in the Kingsley Apartments.

Macomb Assistant Prosecutor Steven Kaplan said Kraft apologized prior to sentencing, and noted Kraft was suffering from depression. But Kaplan said he felt that the apology was "insincere."

"It was not an isolated incident. This was chronic neglect," Kaplan said.

"The remorse is for himself, not for the dog."

Sterling Heights Police Capt. Frank Mowinski, who oversees animal control, hoped the sentence sends a message to the public about how serious the city and the courts take animal abuse.

"That is the worst I have ever seen," Mowinski said, referring to the abuse of the dog.

When Kraft completes his 90-day jail term, he will then be placed on probation until May 2010. He also was sentenced by Macomb County Circuit Judge Matthew Switalski to serve 500 hours of community service and pay $500 restitution to the city of Sterling Heights; $1,435 restitution to the apartment complex owners; and $3,000 in fines.

Kraft also will not be allowed to care for, own, or live in a home with a pet during his probation.

Attempts to reach defense attorney Darin Kanfer were unsuccessful.

Residents in the same two-story section of Kraft's apartment complex did not answer repeated rings of their doorbells.

One resident, who declined to identify himself, said Kraft's apartment, after standing vacant for several months, has now been rented out again.

Sterling Heights Animal Control workers were alerted in January by Kraft's neighbors that the whimpers from the dog had stopped. When officers arrived, they found the dog dead in his cage in a spare bedroom, just 5 feet away from dog food.

"The dog could see and smell the food and water, but could not reach either," Kaplan said.

Investigators believed the dog had been dead for nearly a week, and its bones were showing. It had injuries to its paws from trying to escape the cage and maggots in its skin showing that it had died from a lack of nutrients.

Kaplan added that Kraft took Fonzi to the veterinarian in November and he was healthy. Kraft received a prescription for worms, but is believed to have never given the dog any of the medicine.

He added that Switalski's sentence was stiff.

© Copyright 2007 The Detroit News. All rights reserved.

elizabethann
05-09-2007, 07:57 AM
90 days? That's it? Why don't they stop giving him food & water for 90 days & see how he likes it.

pitc9
05-09-2007, 12:50 PM
I lost it when I first saw this story.

How... how can a person sit there and watch a dog painfully starve to death infront of their eyes? :(

RIP Fonzi, you are free of pain now.

honeybeezercattalina
05-09-2007, 12:52 PM
RIP Fonzi. You are free from pain and suffering now. :(

When Im 19 im training to become an RSPCA inspector, so I can help stop all this cruelty.

90 days isnt enough. :mad:

Babyboonie
05-09-2007, 02:46 PM
Words can't express how I feel about this........:mad:

RIP poor Fonzi...you are undoubtably in a better place than you were. Play hard at rainbow bridge.

Argranade
05-09-2007, 03:45 PM
That's the heart-less side of the world for ya.

Ginger's Mom
05-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Does that article say that animal control was contacted when the neighbors stopped hearing the dog crying? Can I ask why no one contacted animal control when the dog was whimpering? How long does it take to starve a dog to death? :mad: Ninety days, and they are patting themselves on the back for handing out such a stiff sentence? :mad:
:( I wish I hadn't opened this thread. :( :(

Catlady711
05-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Does that article say that animal control was contacted when the neighbors stopped hearing the dog crying? Can I ask why no one contacted animal control when the dog was whimpering?

That's exactly what I was thinking. Whether the dog's whimpering sounded like in pain or whether just plain annoying why wait to contact animal control? I think sometimes people's thoughts of "don't interfere in other people's business" causes more pain and heartache than it helps. IMHO

Hellow
05-09-2007, 07:15 PM
RIP Fonzi. I cant believe this. I believe that man should be de-headed. :mad: I mean, that is plain out brutial torture. Who would starve a dog five feet away from food and water. That is just mean.

IrishSetterGurl
05-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Im going to kill that man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let strave that evil man! :mad:
I cant belive him i want to kill him myself!!! :mad:
That poor dog, he did nothing to that man!!!!!!! :( :mad:

IRescue452
05-09-2007, 11:07 PM
Another proud moment to be human.

SemaviLady
05-12-2007, 02:24 AM
While the story and events are inexcusable, NO dog can go without WATER for that long. There's something a little too simplistic about this story.