PDA

View Full Version : Fairy tales that scared you?

RICHARD
05-08-2007, 01:00 AM
A dicussion in the Dog House turned to fairy tales how they came about.

Growing up we had in the house a large volume of Grimms's Fairy Tales-some of the stories were really scary....

Do you remember any fairy tales that scared you, or still scare you to this day?

--------

My horror story was the Dancing Shoes.... :eek:

Reachoutrescue
05-08-2007, 01:19 AM
I have to agree with you Richard. Grimm Fairy Tales where pretty scarey for me too as a kid. Other then that no others come to mind.

Pam
05-08-2007, 05:28 AM
Oh boy do I remember one. It was the tale of the Three Billy Goats Gruff. They each had to travel over a bridge but there was an ugly old troll who lived underneath. When the first billy goat went across the bridge the troll came up and threatened to eat him. He told the troll that his brother, who was bigger, was coming along and so it went until the largest of the billy goats came and butted the troll into the water. For some reason this story really scared me but I kept asking my mom to read it to me anyway. :rolleyes: We had a wooden bridge a few houses down which went over a small creek and my friend lived on the other side of the creek so I had to cross that bridge often. I used to worry that a troll lived under there. :rolleyes: :p

Logan
05-08-2007, 07:48 AM
Hansel and Gretel! That witch was scary!!!! :eek:

kuhio98
05-08-2007, 09:24 AM
Hansel and Gretel! That witch was scary!!!! :eek:Agreed! And she cooked children !?! Talk about sick and twisted!

Muddy4paws
05-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Hansel and gretel always gave me nightmares. I also still cant watch Snow White, I watched a bit when I was little and it scared me so much! lol :o

Karen
05-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Fairy tales never scared me, guess I have no sense of danger! I knew they were made-up stories. In fact, no story really scared me until I was an adult and borrowed a Clive Barker book of short stories from the library (The Books of Blood).

lvpets2002
05-08-2007, 10:54 AM
:p What about Cinderella's mean sisters.. Red Ridding Hood & the Big Bad Wolf.. The Three Little Pigs & the Big Bad Wolf.. Those are Fairy Tales right.. :D

CathyBogart
05-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Donkey Skin was one that....not scared me so much as gave me the willies. The father raping his daughter and trying to force her to marry him....ugh

sparks19
05-08-2007, 11:11 AM
CathyBogart.... what kind of fairy tale is that :eek:

I can't remember any fairy tales that scared me... but then I didn't hear a lot of fairy tails before bedtime. My favourite books were "No Elephants" and "morris has a cold" and the Dr Zuess books lol.

But the song "rock a bye baby" made me cry.

lizbud
05-08-2007, 11:37 AM
Oh boy do I remember one. It was the tale of the Three Billy Goats Gruff. They each had to travel over a bridge but there was an ugly old troll who lived underneath. When the first billy goat went across the bridge the troll came up and threatened to eat him. He told the troll that his brother, who was bigger, was coming along and so it went until the largest of the billy goats came and butted the troll into the water. For some reason this story really scared me but I kept asking my mom to read it to me anyway. :rolleyes: We had a wooden bridge a few houses down which went over a small creek and my friend lived on the other side of the creek so I had to cross that bridge often. I used to worry that a troll lived under there. :rolleyes: :p

Me too Pam. :D Did your book have a picture of the ugly troll? Ours did.
I never said anything to anybody, but I always checked out the underpasses
very carefully. :D

Barbara
05-08-2007, 11:45 AM
The wolf in Little Red Ridinghood and in some other fairy tales scared me to death. I have been dreaming of wolves.
Now of course I think they are great animals and do not eat grandmothers as standard dinner ;)

JenBKR
05-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Donkey Skin was one that....not scared me so much as gave me the willies. The father raping his daughter and trying to force her to marry him....ugh

:eek: That's a fairy tale? Never heard of that one - yikes.

I don't remember being scared of any fairy tales, but I was terrified of Pee Wee Herman ;) Especially Pee Wee's Big Adventure, that movie creeped me out terribly!

Dorothy39
05-08-2007, 12:47 PM
As a child, I loved reading all the classic Fairytales, but, when Shirley Temple Black hosted a Television Show during the early sixties, many of the characters were brought to life right in the living room.

One program (story) in particular, Beauty and the Beast, scared the living day lights out of me!!!! :eek:

sparks19
05-08-2007, 12:50 PM
:eek: That's a fairy tale? Never heard of that one - yikes.

I don't remember being scared of any fairy tales, but I was terrified of Pee Wee Herman ;) Especially Pee Wee's Big Adventure, that movie creeped me out terribly!
\
LOL so funny you mention that. I felt the same way about that movie. But then again.... I don't think we just perceived it as creepy.... I think it is just CREEPY period lol

Pembroke_Corgi
05-08-2007, 01:19 PM
This is an interesting thread. Last fall I took a children's literature class and one thing we studied were fairy tales. Most of them are actually really violent and scary, but they have been toned down a lot because they have turned into children's stories (they were actually originally intended for adults).

The story that still creeps me out is Jack and the Bean Stalk.

Cincy'sMom
05-08-2007, 07:38 PM
I don't remember Fairy Tales scaring me, but I do remember being scared of the Wizard of Oz...not of the wicked witch , or the wizard, or even the flying monkeys...but of the tornado!!! Actaully, I guess I still am!

Karen- Not much scares me in books or "horror movies", But I do love Clive Barker. I don't think I have read the books of Blood...I'll have to check it out!

popcornbird
05-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Fairytales never really scared me as a child, but the one thing I remember scaring me to death was 'Lady Elaine', in Mister Roger's Neighborhood (on TV). I used to see nightmares with her in them, and sometimes, as I tried to go to sleep in the dark, I would close my eyes and see her 'creepy' face. :eek: :o I found her to be one of the most scary creatures on the planet. :p Of course, I was only 4 or 5 at the time, but the fear was so intense, I still remember the horror I felt till today. :o

BC_MoM
05-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Alice in Wonderland. That freaked me out - still does! lol

sirrahbed
05-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Fairy tales never did scare me - they were exciting but I knew they were pretend. Thinking back - they sure are violent though aren't they? :eek:

The childhood story that made a big impact on me was Pinocchio - not that it scared me so much as it made me VERY afraid to tell a lie. I can remember my mom asking "is your nose growing???" and I would worry that it really was. I still can't lie :o

Blue_Frog
05-08-2007, 09:30 PM
I remember browsing through the Project Gutenberg free book listings, and came across a Brothers Grim compilation (http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/2591), and there was a story that i remember finding rather creepy growing up.

It was called 'Under the Juniper Tree'
Some exerpts from the beginning of the story, sound similar to the 'Sleeping Beauty' story (Similar to the start of Sleeping Beauty... but)

One winter's day the wife stood uner the tree to peel some apples, and as she was peeling them, she cut her finger, and the blood fell on the snow. 'Ah' signed the woman heavily, 'if i had but a child, as red as blood and as white as snow'.
Then she felt comforted and happy again, and before another month had passed she had a little child, and when she saw that it was a white as snow and as red as blood, her joy was so great that she died.

** Anyway, the husband gets over it and gets remarried to the Evil Stepmother (in the good old Fairy Tale Tradition), and soon enough... **

'Come with me' she said, and she lifted up the lid of the chest; 'take one out for yourself.' [shes indicating he should take an apple from the chest, since I didn't explain that part]. And as he bent over to do so, the evil spirit urged her, and crash! down went the lid, and off went the little boy's head.

Anyway, the story is pages and see pages 187-195 of the PDF file linked above from the Brothers Grimm stories :)

RICHARD
05-08-2007, 09:31 PM
Oh, oh , oh...
The little match girl.

Freezing to death gives me the willies.

And there was another story that had "dogs with eyes as big as saucers"...
The freaking dogs in the drawings were some ugly monster looking dog with HUGE eyes....Took a while to get over that one! :eek:

sandragonfly
05-08-2007, 10:27 PM
scared? nah .. but I thought little mermaid was real! :D I've always wanted that fins and swiiiim underwater but my father told I need to behave better first. :rolleyes: lol, it's funny to remember what I thought was real.

and still do wish! :D

luckies4me
05-08-2007, 10:30 PM
I cannot believe I haven't read almost any of these. I've never even read Little Red Riding Hood, but I've heard the story many times. I don't know if I'd ever read these to my child. I'm looking at the site posted, and just read the first story and if I were a child I know they would probably freak me out! :p

Pam
05-09-2007, 04:54 AM
Me too Pam. :D Did your book have a picture of the ugly troll? Ours did.
I never said anything to anybody, but I always checked out the underpasses
very carefully. :D

Yes there was a picture Liz and he was horrid looking!!!! :eek: :)