PDA

View Full Version : Owwie :( story and pics

AdoreMyDogs
05-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Today I discovered tough love. I had to take my little giggly angel to the doctor and she had to get 3 shots. I knew it would be bad when I put my giggly little Quinn in her carseat and she was just the picture of happiness and my tears already started to flow. I knew I was in trouble when I started to cry before we even left the house for the doctors office.

In the waiting room, I held her and she was in a great mood. I felt so guilty. After the weighing and measuring (which we'll tell you about in a bit!), the dredded time came to turn my happy girl into a very sad baby. I heard a cry from Quinn that I've not yet heard. It was different then any cry she's ever made and I was a mess. I tried to be strong and not let it effect me, but I broke down. I had to compose myself before I left the exam room because I didn't want to walk out of a room with a crying baby, crying myself. I thought it would look bad to the kids in the waiting room and I didn't want to scare anyone, so I just sat in the room holding my sweet little baby close and crying with her until I was ready to compose myself. I don't like getting shots myself, but my goodness I had no idea how much it would hurt ME to see my little baby getting stuck with needles. Seeing Quinn going threw this hurt worse then any shot I've ever recieved. I learn new things all the time as a new mom.

So after all the shot business, Quinn did pretty good. She got cranky and a little feverish a few hours after coming home, but after a dose of Tylenol she did pretty good. She was a bit sore, but she was happy and smiling and laughing before I put her down for the night. Hopefully she will sleep good...I'll find out shortly :)

So on to the measurements! My little girl went from a birth weight of 6 pounds 4 ounces and a lenghth of 19 1/4 inches long, to a whopping 12 pounds 11 ounces and 22 1/2 inches long in almost 11 weeks! She's in the 90th percentile for weight and 50th percentile for length. We must be doing something right because she's one healthy, growing girl :)

And on to the pictures! Quinn's modeling her new retro, spotty outfit from Gramma but she's still too small for the new outfit, as it's a 3-6 month and she's not quite ready for it yet. The pants were too long, even when pulled up to nearly her armpits, and the onesie is quite loose. So she's still in her 0-3 month outfits for now.

taken a few days ago
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j163/AdoreMyDogs/Baby%20stuff/bumbochaircutie.jpg?t=1178595153

Retro baby
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j163/AdoreMyDogs/Baby%20stuff/retro1.jpg?t=1178594707

sleepy retro baby
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j163/AdoreMyDogs/Baby%20stuff/retro4.jpg?t=1178594779

my poor baby with her owwies
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j163/AdoreMyDogs/Baby%20stuff/owwie2.jpg?t=1178594819

Lilith Cherry
05-08-2007, 12:24 AM
Lots of kisses better for Quinn and hugs for mummy too! Better prevention than having to watch our precious children sick with the diseases themselves! Well done for being a great mother :D

Reachoutrescue
05-08-2007, 01:23 AM
Your baby is so pretty. Sorry she had to get some owwies. She will be okay though. She is getting so big!!

sirrahbed
05-08-2007, 08:28 AM
oh Leslie, I can surely relate to what you went through....especially hearing that "new cry" that just has an unusual and unfamiliar sound and pitch. ((((HUGS))))

Hopefully Quinn is back to her happy self today, and that those sore legs are feeling better.

The pictures are just beautiful - Quinn is adorable. Aren't those Bumbo chairs the best? Our Tyler loved being able to sit in his :) That reminds me that I need to get it mailed off to Missy for our newest grandson....

It is just amazing to read that Quinn has nearly doubled her birth weight!! It seems like you should be able to sit and watch her grow at that rate :D Love the outfits, too.

sandragonfly
05-08-2007, 08:33 AM
aw. all mothers feel bad. one good thing too, quinn won't remember this!

sweet pictures, retro outfit is too cute. :)

Pawsitive Thinking
05-08-2007, 10:23 AM
She is simply adorable.....

AdoreMyDogs
05-08-2007, 10:26 AM
oh Leslie, I can surely relate to what you went through....especially hearing that "new cry" that just has an unusual and unfamiliar sound and pitch. ((((HUGS))))

Hopefully Quinn is back to her happy self today, and that those sore legs are feeling better.

The pictures are just beautiful - Quinn is adorable. Aren't those Bumbo chairs the best? Our Tyler loved being able to sit in his :) That reminds me that I need to get it mailed off to Missy for our newest grandson....

It is just amazing to read that Quinn has nearly doubled her birth weight!! It seems like you should be able to sit and watch her grow at that rate :D Love the outfits, too.

Thanks, we think she's adorable too :)

Yes those Bumbo chairs are wonderful, but goodness I can't get over how expensive that little thing was! Even here in TX, where everything is cheaper, it was $40 for that little thing. I don't know, maybe I am just cheap, but $40 seems pretty high for a little foam chair hehe. I looked on Ebay and could only find used ones in good shape for $35, and I figured if I'm going to be spending money on one, might as well buy it new at full price since the used price left much to be desired. I'm glad I got a gender neutral one, because if our next baby is a boy, I sure don't want to have to buy another one in a gender neutral color!

Cataholic
05-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Shots are the worst! I always gave Jonah the medication BEFORE the office visit, that way I knew it was working immediately. I dread shots now, as he will 'know' what is coming down the pike.

Quinn is adorable, and getting so big!

Pembroke_Corgi
05-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Quinn is such a cute baby, I really like the retro outfit. :D

Sorry to hear about her shots, though, poor thing. It's too bad there's not an easier way to give immunizations.

Logan
05-08-2007, 01:36 PM
That was a hard day for Mom and for Quinn. I'm sorry, Leslie. :( Been there and done that, and it hurt me worse than it ever hurt Helen, for sure. I'm sure you are in the same spot.

I hope that today has been a better day!

Logan

luckies4me
05-08-2007, 02:49 PM
My son is now 5 and it still bothers me to watch him get shots. I still cry. Last time was especially hard as he had to get his booster vaccines and then go upstairs for an anemia test...he knew they were going to poke his little finger and he was crying so bad. I felt awful. :(

It does seem to effect us more. She has probably since forgotten about the whole thing, while we hang on to the memory for quite sometime after lol. :p But we're mothers, and that's what we do.

I must say she is quite adorable in that little outfit.

*LabLoverKEB*
05-08-2007, 08:07 PM
Awwwww! Leslie, she is just as precious as can be! Quinn is just a beautiful baby girl! Kisses to little Quinn! :) ;)

Toby's my baby
05-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Aww, that is a really cute story. :) Sorry you both had to go through that!

Quinn is adorable, and I LOVE her name :D