PDA

View Full Version : Chipper and his CGC test

ramanth
05-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Yesterday was Chipper's last day of Level Two Obedience and his day to shine while taking his Canine Good Citizen test.

Amazingly he passed!! (Two dogs in the class didn't)

Then of course, today, all that went out the window as he pulled to greet every human and canine we came across during our walk and jumped on a woman who came up to pet him. :rolleyes: :p :o

We've got a few bugs to work out. ;)

Kia had her annual visit this morning and both were heartworm tested. Came back negative. Yay! Kia has lost weight but it doesn't appear to be anything to be concerned about. It's unusual as she usually gains during the winter months.

Chipper gained 2.5 lbs.! He's up to 42.5 now. He had an icky bout of diarreha this past week (something he snuck from outside or cat food...we're not sure), but his appetite, water intake, and activity levels never diminished, so despite some accidents in the house, he's doing well. :)

luvofallhorses
05-07-2007, 08:36 PM
that's great news! :D what exactly is a canine good citizen test? :o nevermind I looked it up. :)

elizabethann
05-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Congratulations on the CGC! How long did the actual test take? Were you nervous?

Fenway goes for his CGC this Saturday. I'm so nervous I could puke. I hope he passes. He took 2 extra classes, so he should be ready. But he has issues of people & dogs being in "his space". I'm just afraid he's not going to like being patted or having his feet checked out.

Again, congratulations. Do you think you'll go for his therapy dog certificate?

captain
05-07-2007, 09:50 PM
Wahooooooooooo - well done Chipper!!!!!

k9krazee
05-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Yay!! Congrats Chipper, that's fantastic!!

Cinder & Smoke
05-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Today, all that went out the window as he pulled ... and jumped ... :rolleyes: :p :o

We've got a few bugs to work out. ;)

Oh, well ... :rolleyes:

He must have noticed no one was standing nearby with a clipboard in hand. :p

Anyway, he's just being "Friendly".

:D

Tollers-n-Dobes
05-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Congratulations! That's fantastic.

ramanth
05-07-2007, 10:45 PM
Thanks!! :D

Congratulations on the CGC! How long did the actual test take? Were you nervous?

Again, congratulations. Do you think you'll go for his therapy dog certificate?
Good luck!! There were 4 dogs in the class and it took about an hour for the entire class to complete the exam.

I was really nervous because some days he'd do really well in class and at home, but other days, he'd be downright naughty. :o ;) :D He was a bit aloof in the checking of the ears and feet for my tastes, but of course passed anyway because he didn't show aggression. All the dogs were more interested in the smells and scraps of treats on the floor. *laughs*

I'd like to eventually go for a therapy certificate. And I've always wanted to get Kia CGC & therapy tested...so now that we've done the test, I know what to work with Kia on. :)

Oh, well ...

He must have noticed no one was standing nearby with a clipboard in hand.
LOL! Exactly. Plus Kia would be pulling and he just figured if she could do it, he could too. :rolleyes:

Fett
05-07-2007, 11:12 PM
All he cares about is who has the treats he can eat. LOL! He's very treat driven. That's why he's pretty good in class. Just keep giving him treats and he'll learn his skills. Too bad he can only stomach certain healthy treats or he'd eat anything he can get (he still wants to) and then get deathly ill again. :(

Sevaede
05-08-2007, 01:31 AM
Hehe! Way to go Chipper! :D

Reachoutrescue
05-08-2007, 01:37 AM
Congrats Chipper! We are so proud of you. You are such a good doggie!! Keep up the good work and stay out of that kittie food so you stop leaving messes for mom to clean up!! Job well done on that test, to the both of you!

crow_noir
05-08-2007, 01:57 AM
Yay! :D Way to go Chipper!

Ginger's Mom
05-08-2007, 05:52 AM
Yay, congratulations Chipper! Now, just make sure you down laud the CGC over your sister's head, remember how nice she was to you when you were the new guy. You can help her study for her CGC test.

elizabethann
05-08-2007, 07:23 AM
Thanks!! :D

Good luck!! There were 4 dogs in the class and it took about an hour for the entire class to complete the exam.

I was really nervous because some days he'd do really well in class and at home, but other days, he'd be downright naughty. :o ;) :D He was a bit aloof in the checking of the ears and feet for my tastes, but of course passed anyway because he didn't show aggression. All the dogs were more interested in the smells and scraps of treats on the floor. *laughs*

I'd like to eventually go for a therapy certificate. And I've always wanted to get Kia CGC & therapy tested...so now that we've done the test, I know what to work with Kia on. :)

LOL! Exactly. Plus Kia would be pulling and he just figured if she could do it, he could too. :rolleyes:

So you have to stay and wait till everybody takes the test? You can't just leave afterwards?

Also, you didn't bring food into the testing area, did you? Were they smelling for treats outside the testing area?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I really want Fenway to pass. He's not the brightest lightbulb in the bunch. I love him to death but he'd rather hunt for critters than stay for 3 mintues.

pitc9
05-08-2007, 07:50 AM
Yippee! Congrats!!

Fett
05-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Also, you didn't bring food into the testing area, did you? Were they smelling for treats outside the testing area?

They allowed us to keep treats off to the side where our chairs were, but couldn't have any treats on the person while doing the actual testing. Up until the test everything was based of giving them treats, so it was a bit different once the treats were taken away. Chipper sometimes kept pulling back towards the chairs where I was sitting because he knew I was the one holding the treat bag, not Kim who was leading him away from the treats. LOL

So, once he did his skill, they allowed him to go back to the side and get his treat rewards.

Logan
05-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Congratulations, Chipper! :) You guys have worked wonders with this boy, Kimmy and Andy. I'm so glad that he is thriving and such a good boy!

I miss my therapy girl, Lilly, so much. I need another Golden like her, one day. She would have passed that test with flying colors, for sure.

Logan

ramanth
05-08-2007, 05:43 PM
So you have to stay and wait till everybody takes the test? You can't just leave afterwards?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I really want Fenway to pass. He's not the brightest lightbulb in the bunch. I love him to death but he'd rather hunt for critters than stay for 3 mintues.
Well, we were offered two options for taking the test. Either we could complete all the lessons one at a time and then leave when we were done.

Or, what we did, was say... Beth gets up and completes lesson 1 with her dog, then the other woman, then me, and so on...then the second lesson, she'd start at Beth, and so on. :) So we weren't completing the lessons all at once. It was actually nice since we weren't put on the spot to do all the lessons. :)

Like Andy said, we couldn't have treats on our person out in the center of the room, but we could give them treats after each lesson.

Chipper's obedience class was held at a doggy day care and the previous puppy class didn't take a CGC test and so there were crumbs of treats on the floor.

Cincy'sMom
05-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Congratulations Chipper!! I think you and yous sister could both be wonderful therapy dogs. I know my three sure enjoy doing it!!

K9soul
05-08-2007, 09:40 PM
That's awesome! Congratulations Chipper boy! :D I really think Raven would be capable of passing it at some point. She's very focused in training classes, but she still has a lot of puppy wildness to her too, when it comes to wanting to meet new people :o. Also if she gets bored, she starts getting distracted more. But she did really well in her puppy and basic classes. I'm enrolling her in intermediate soon. :)

cloverfdx
05-09-2007, 01:08 AM
Yay congratulations Kimmy and Chipper :D.

sabies
05-09-2007, 04:38 AM
Congratulations!

anna_66
05-09-2007, 07:01 AM
Wonderful to hear! Congrats Chipper!!