PDA

View Full Version : Wild Rabbit Nest?

BCollie_Kelly
05-07-2007, 02:39 PM
While cleaning up the yard today I came across a big pile of fur, which I thought was Riley's from when I brushed her out the other day.

Well, I was wrong. Once I grabbed the clump, I caught a glimpse of a baby bunny... and possibly more then one.

As soon as I realized what they were I quickly put the fur back into place...

Now my question is this;

Are rabbits/bunnies like birds, and once you touch the nest they won't come back? The nest is in out front yard, and until the babies are gone the dogs will be banished to the back and not allowed in the front. I'm not so worried about Rebel, as he could care less... but Riley has some serious drive and I'm not sure what she would do.

Any info would be great, I just want to make sure they'll be ok. :)

3muttsandaboston
05-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Are rabbits/bunnies like birds, and once you touch the nest they won't come back? The nest is in out front yard, and until the babies are gone the dogs will be banished to the back and not allowed in the front. I'm not so worried about Rebel, as he could care less... but Riley has some serious drive and I'm not sure what she would do.

Actually neither rabbits or birds will abandon babies if they are touched. They should be fine. Just leave them alone and let the momma do all the work. And don't worry if you don't see her. They spend only 5 minutes a day once a day feeding them and only in the middle of the night.

Reachoutrescue
05-07-2007, 02:52 PM
I have heard that if you touch a rabbit nest or the babies, the mother will pick up the scent and not come back. I don't know how true it is though. Last summer we found a nest of bunnies, our landscaper almost mowed over them, but he saw them just in time. Well, one baby seemed hurt or just in shock and my son picked it up. I told him to put him down cause the mom won't come back otherwise. Well, she came back and did take care of them. I don't know how manythere were, but a few weeks later there was at least five running around our yard and back to the whole over and over again. Keep us posted.

Karen
05-07-2007, 03:00 PM
It's completely untrue. It's one of those "old wive's tales" with no basis in fact. The baby bunnies will be fine, and momma will assuredly return!

BCollie_Kelly
05-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Glad to hear! Thanks! :D

KittyGurl
05-07-2007, 03:36 PM
I have heard that the mother's won't come back if you touch the babies, but it isn't true.
Can you take pictures of the babies?

IRescue452
05-07-2007, 04:23 PM
They'll be fine. Just try to keep the dogs away. The old wives' tale is untrue, but good though, it keeps people from bothering animals' nests.

Kalei
05-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Aw baby bunnies! That would be so cute! I'm glad you seen them in time though, most dogs would love to have little bunnies for supper, I'm happy you spotted them and can keep the dogs away:)

Good luck little bunnies with growing up big and strong:D

Genny
05-07-2007, 10:54 PM
I bet they're adorable ;) but like others said it's not true. The mom will come back if you've touched them. I'm glad you can keep the dogs away until they get big enough to take care of them selves :)