PDA

View Full Version : Are sonograms "illegal" or "outlawed" in Europe and Australia?

Cataholic
05-07-2007, 12:40 PM
Yeah, I know, VERY odd question. I am on this other site frequently, and someone had posted about declawing their cat. I weighed in on how it is illegal/outlawed in alot of Europe, and there must be a reason for that, blah, blah, blah, and the US is sorely behind the time with our laws.

Well, someone's comeback to my post was that it is also illegal or outlawed to do a sonogram on a pregnant person in Europe and Australia. The intent of this person was to draw the comparison between what Americans do, and what other countries do, and therefore, one can't 'assume' there is a good reason to not do something in the US based on what some other country does.

So, since I wasn't aware of the thing with sonograms, and not really believing it, I need to know what goes on in other countries. I don't want to post a snappy comeback, and find out <gasp> that I am wrong.

Does anyone know firsthand about this? Second, anyone know anyone that positively had a sonogram in Europe or Australia, and can tell me about it?

Cataholic
05-07-2007, 12:42 PM
This is exactly what was said:

Originally posted by GatesMommy
[br]
Originally posted by Jonahsmom
[br] It isn't outlawed in most of Europe without reason.

Not that I agree with declawing since what my cat went through. I wanted to mention that alot of European Countries and Australia have outlawed Ultrasounds on pregnant women. My friend lives in Australia, and was telling me about it when I told her I was going for mine.

JenBKR
05-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Wow that sounds fishy to me. I honestly have no idea, but I am interested to hear others' responses. I can't imagine why they would be outlawed.....

K9soul
05-07-2007, 12:51 PM
From what I could find in some googling (I was curious), I think it's a load of hogwash. I could find nothing to support that. I could only find some articles that India banned the use of prenatal ultrasounds to determine the sex of the child. I'd be shocked if someone confirms that lady's story is true. Perhaps the friend was advised against it (there are some studies that question the safety of them). Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will shed more light on it.

Glacier
05-07-2007, 12:52 PM
I can't find anything official, but here are a couple links for you:
http://www.englishforum.ch/family-matters/4357-pregnancy-19-week-foetal-ultrasound.html
First one is a BB thread about an Aussie woman who will be in Europe at the time she's due for an ultrasound and how easy it is to get one arranged there.
http://www.acegraphics.com.au/articles/wagner02.html
Second one is some guy from the WHO about safety concerns and policy in Europe(Some countries seem to only do scans on high risk women, others routinely).

I have a cousin who married and Australian man and lives just outside of Melbourne now. They have two sets of twins and I'll guarentee they had sonograms/ultrasounds. I've seen the pictures!

Cataholic
05-07-2007, 01:00 PM
I love that I can count on you guys. I will wait for more info before I post anything else. <sigh>, this other site is so off-putting at times.

Edwina's Secretary
05-07-2007, 01:03 PM
Are you sure that a sonogram and an ultrasound are the same thing? I don't know but would check before I zinged!

Cataholic
05-07-2007, 01:07 PM
A sonogram uses ultrasound waves..the terms are often used interchangably.

Sirrahsim
05-07-2007, 01:42 PM
I have friends in both Europe and Australia on my parenting/pregnancy forum and they have all had sonograms!! What a bunch of phooey!!
I know that when I was in Japan I was told that they would not allow sonograms before a certain number of weeks to prevent people from aborting a baby of the "wrong" gender. Perhaps this person is just confused and needs to be enlightened :)

Sirrahsim
05-07-2007, 01:47 PM
I'd be delighted to ask them directly and have them write something up for you if you'd like me to :)

Cataholic
05-07-2007, 02:25 PM
M- I cut and pasted your response, removing your name, and posted. I wasn't sure why someone propurtedly(sic) against declawing would attempt to weaken another's argument against it as well. But, as I said, it is somewhat of a mystifying site at times, but, I am strangely drawn to it. Eeek.

Killearn Kitties
05-07-2007, 02:35 PM
Ultrasound examinations are certainly not illegal in the UK. They are considered a routine examination. I have never heard of anyone outlawing them.

jackie
05-07-2007, 03:32 PM
100% legal here in Spain and in Cyprus.

jackie
05-07-2007, 03:34 PM
P.S. Seen it with my own eyes! :p

kittycats_delight
05-07-2007, 04:35 PM
well...I live in Italy and I can tell you it is legal here as well.

carole
05-07-2007, 06:43 PM
I cannot speak for my ozzie mates, but here in NZ it is NOT illegal to have ultrasounds on pregnant women, that is simply crazy, i imagine the same in OZ.

cloverfdx
05-07-2007, 10:24 PM
Definitely legal here ;). My SIL has had a few so far, with more to go.

Sonia59
05-08-2007, 10:51 AM
100% legal in France and Netherlands too!

Cataholic
05-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Strange gal that she is, she changed her story, and said she meant to say vaginal ultrasounds, as they aren't considered safe. She then went on to say she 'saved' her IM from MSN concerning the discussion, as she has found that she needs to do that. Kind of odd.

I didn't respond any more, as it is strange, off topic, and frankly, I don't want to get into it with some person over it.

Thank you for the international comments!!

prechrswife
05-08-2007, 12:40 PM
I know you have your answer, but that is just an odd response. I do know in China it is illegal to use an ultrasound to determine gender for the same reasons mentioned in a couple of other countries. (Of course, since you have a niece who was born in China, you probably knew that already. ;) )

jackie
05-08-2007, 01:22 PM
Strange gal that she is, she changed her story, and said she meant to say vaginal ultrasounds, as they aren't considered safe.

Is vaginal ultrasound where the stick the wand up your "hoo haa" to have a look?

If so, I have seen that too. Not in a big rush to see it again though!