PDA

View Full Version : California questions

freckledimple
05-05-2007, 09:49 PM
Hello. I'm contemplating a move to the California bay area and need info. What should I know about pet laws in California? What should I know about the bay area in general? Thanks for any help.

Chilli
05-05-2007, 09:59 PM
All I know is that Quakers are illegal there.. and last time I heard, Ferrets were still illegal there, also. Two reasons why I'll never move to CA! =D

Maybe some fellow PTers from CA can be of more help than I am. =]

CathyBogart
05-05-2007, 10:05 PM
A one bedroom apartment will cost you $900 a month or more.

Ferrets, Gerbils, marsupials, Quakers, a lot of pets are illegal here. What pets do you own?

It would be lovely to have another PTer nearby!

Giselle
05-05-2007, 10:32 PM
The bay is a fabulous place to live, but it costs lots of $$$. Like Cathy mentioned, renting a simple one-bedroom apartment over here can empty your wallet in no time. That said, it's incredibly diverse and I love it. Simply said, if you're looking for something, chances are we'll have it. What's great about the bay is that it's centered heavily around the major cities; yet, in places like Martinez and parts of Livermore, you can buy a large house with acreage or even a farm (although it'll cost you).

But yes, many pets are illegal over here. The only one that I know of for *certain* is the Quaker. If you're a dog/cat type of person, though, you'd be hard pressed to find a better place to live than the bay. Of course, I'm not biased ;)

CathyBogart
05-06-2007, 12:36 AM
Giselle - Whereish are you located? Want to meet up at a dog park or something sometime? :)

xVelvet_FuzzButtx
05-06-2007, 05:02 PM
here are the pets I can think of, and find that are illegal to own in California.

Gars
African clawed frog
Alligators
Caimans
Snapping turtles
White-eyes (Zosterops)
Monk (Quaker) parakeet
Short-tailed opossum
Sugar glider
Hedgehogs
Degu
All gerbils and jirds (like the Duprasi)
Dormouse (any)
Cacomistle
Coatimundi
Skunks
Arctic fox (blue fox)
Fennec fox
Wolf-dog hybrids*
Ferret
African lion
Serval
Flying squirrels
All chipmunks and squirrels
Prairie dogs
Gambian giant pouched rat
African striped grass mouse (zebra mouse)
African pygmy mouse
Egyptian spiny mouse
Raccoon
Ringtail
Monkeys, includes chimpanzees

Giselle
05-06-2007, 10:30 PM
I dunno about the wolf/dog hybrids. My friend's cousin has a GSD/wolf and she's licensed and everything. It could very well be illegal, but there's no definitive way to pin you down so I guess you could slide on that. I'm not endorsing anything though!

Cathy, I'll PM you. As a matter of fact, Cindy (Taz_Zoee) and I just met yesterday. I'm on my way to make a thread in the Meetings section, too :)

xVelvet_FuzzButtx
05-07-2007, 04:51 AM
is she positive its actually part wolf(ie seen the parents)?
I know quite a few that are passed off as wolves or wolf hybrids.

they are illegal accourding to the fish and game site and California code of regulations, title 14, Section 671. ofcourse I don't live in CA so i'm just going by that. :)

Freedom
05-07-2007, 07:12 AM
You should also check the local ordinances for the city you move to.

As an example: my city has a 3 dog limit, per house. No limit on cats. BUT the city next door to me limits cats to 3 per house, and dogs to 2 per house.

Just an FYI.

IRescue452
05-07-2007, 09:56 AM
I don't understand the gerbils, a lot are born in captivity and they've been kept as pets for a long time. I understand the wild animal bans and bans on threatened or dangerous species. I wonder if they have any regulations on aquarium fish. Just about anybody can go out and buy an endangered species of aquarium fish. Some species are almost completely wiped out in the wild. Anyway, my point, who's going to find out if you have a gerbil? Unless you have a friend you get in a fight with and they tell on you.

Hellow
05-07-2007, 09:09 PM
The reason why they banned gerbiles and all desert animals is because, as they are herbivores, if they got loose they could breed and damage crops.

IRescue452
05-07-2007, 09:53 PM
ò¿ò

A domestic female gerbil gets out in one part of the expansive CA, a domestic male in another. They somehow manage to escape predators, poison, disease, and numerous other hazards. (All of this within their short lifespans and also they find each other to mate, since different species of rodents cannot produce live offspring) The babies all survive and find prospective mates through some odd scenario. Eventually they take over the whole state of California. Kinda like how every mouse from every litter survives and we have hundreds of millions ruining our crops, but only this time its pet rodents that manage to escape the house and survive to tell about it.

How likely is that scenario? And with the pesticides already used for mice and rats? Who honestly thought up that one? Gerbils eat seeds and dry vegetation anyway, a domestic gerbil wouldn't live long pilching crops.

Giselle
05-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Yes, she's definitely half wolf half GSD. They got her from a breeder, albeit not one in California.

Laws are laws and most are implemented for good reasons. I can understand why the quaker is banned here, and I'm fine with it. Now that I realize the destruction that invasive and foreign flora/fauna have concocted on native California soil, these bans make fair sense to me. To each their own :)

CathyBogart
05-08-2007, 10:55 AM
Wolf hybrids are advertised for sale in the newspaper every day. I had no idea they were illegal here. Obviously, it's not enforced much.

There are some restrictions on aquarium fish, though the only one I know for sure is that you can't have freshwater stingrays.

How about this scenario: Someone has been breeding gerbils for awhile, but is having trouble finding homes for the offspring. They're not very smart, so they dump, say, 20 gerbils in a field somewhere. Even if less than half survive, they could sure start breeding.

xVelvet_FuzzButtx
05-09-2007, 05:56 AM
whats worse are ferrets being illegal. ofcourse i'm biased ;) , but nearly all domestic ferrets are neutered(at est. 4weeks old!), and don't survive very long when they escape. I know CA is one of the most populated with ferrets- people find strays all the time. I just do not understand why Arnold won't let them free! :p
OT: I totally need to buy this cat toy.
http://www.arcatapet.com/fullsize/10702.jpg