PDA

View Full Version : What products don't you go cheap on?

sparks19
05-05-2007, 10:10 AM
OK I'm sure we all have those products that we use that we never go cheap on. Like for me its toilet paper. LOL I can't stand the "cheap" brands of toilet paper haha it's like using sandpaper to me. I also don't go with the cheaper brands for feminine products.

But I will go with the cheaper paper towel. Or the cheaper dish soap.

LOL what products do you need to be "top of the line" lol

JenBKR
05-05-2007, 10:16 AM
I'm pretty much the same way, I don't like cheap TP or feminine products. I also have to have Heinz ketchup, no other brand will do (probably because I am from Pittsburgh, you're not allowed to like another brand here :D ). But I do buy a lot of generic items, such as paper towels, and lots of food products.

Kalei
05-05-2007, 10:18 AM
I don't go cheap on rabbit food. I always have to buy the Martins rabbit pellets.

And Oreos, I can't get the no name oreos,I must have the real oreos lol, the no name just don't taste like oreos to me:p

I can't think of anymore right now lol.

kittycats_delight
05-05-2007, 11:07 AM
I have a few things that have to be 'the good stuff' LOL

pet food is at the very top of the list

cat litter

feminine products

Nutella (Guido will not have any knock off of Nutella it has to be the real deal)

computer components

perfume and skin creams ( I don't buy it often but I do not and cannot buy the cheap knock offs. My skin is too sensitive and there are only certain types I can use)

over the counter meds

There are probably others I will have to think on it though.

angelbow20
05-05-2007, 12:46 PM
I def. need top of the line perfume and headache meds... hmm clothes and shoes, pet products, certain foods and I cant think of anything else right now... Im not too picky on alot of things though, cleaning and certain foods I will get if its not some special brand.

Glacier
05-05-2007, 12:51 PM
Besides the critter food....

Cheese...I will pay extra for good cheese. Cheap cheese is icky and life's too short to eat bad cheese!

My allergy meds...I know the box says the no-name stuff is identical, but I swear brand name Reactine works better! I do buy other OTC meds that aren't brand names and can't tell the difference.

CouturePup
05-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Nilla waffers! Oh, and Blue Bell ice cream.

:p

cali
05-05-2007, 02:52 PM
grabage bags. garbage bags in this house HAVE to be Glad, we sent my brother shopping one day and he brought home generic garbage bags, they sucked, they are awful, kept falling apart, could hold anything heavier then a paper towel etc.. you dont realize how much you love strong garbage bags until you dont have them lol

Femcare products have to be either Always or Kotex, preferably Always.

Tylenol and Advil have to be brand name for the sole reason of shape, I simply cannot swallow the generics due to shape and coating.

most things though I actually PREFERE generaic to brand name. like Ketchup(sorry folks but I HATE heinz ketchup, it has to be no name) and mac n cheese has to be generic, I cant stand kraft dinner, its the most discusting mac n cheese I have ever had lol.

Kfamr
05-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Dog Food/Treats

That's about it. Everything else doesn't matter too much.

Lady's Human
05-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Coffee!

Animal treats/food.

Cars/parts. Not too many gearheads on here, so I won't go into details.

Husky_mom
05-05-2007, 04:25 PM
well other than the previously listed.......

I guess hair conditioner!!....... I can go with any shampoo but I HAVE to HAVE a pretty good conditioner........ with long blonde thin hair there´s no other thing to keep it silky.......;)

oh Glacier you sure hit my soft spot there...........cheeeeese........*drools*......(ju st picture Homer Simpson saying "donuts" and that´s me with cheese.......LOL

once I heard a very true statement.....: the thing you can NEVER go cheap: FOOD and EDUCATION.......... oh so true

caseysmom
05-05-2007, 04:32 PM
I second the cheese...good cheese is definetely worth it.

I also have to buy good shampoo/conditioner.

I usually like good cuts of meat too, at least I can't stand any other brand of chicken other than foster farms.

krazyaboutkatz
05-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Cat food & Litter

I have to have Jif peanutbutter, Heinz ketchup, and Diet Coke.

Feminine products and makeup have to also be name brands.

I'm sure there are many others too but I can't think of them right now.:)

Edit:
I forgot to add jeans. Gloria Vanderbilt jeans fit me the best so this is what I buy. Toilet paper must be two ply and soft and so must any kind of kleenex.

catnapper
05-05-2007, 06:09 PM
I'm answering before I look at other replies, then I'm sure I'll come back and edit ;)

I don't go cheap on eyeglasses and shoes. Vision is important without me having to explain why. And unhappy feet make for an unhappy catnapper :p

I also don't go cheap on cat food. Pouner has prooven time and time again that I can not buy even the "premium" food from the pet store. Prescription food is more expensive to feed everyone, less expensive in vet care overall.

I also don't skimp on bed linens. There's something about GOOD sheets. God, I don't think I'd survive a night on cheap scratchy Walmart sheets.

And lastly, tweezers. I am unfortunately a rather hairy female and I have to pluck pluck pluck. I want to get the hair first time because its hard enough to FIND the hair the first time with my I-might-as-well-be-blind eyes. I don't want to keep trying to yank out the same hair 10 times with a dull tweezer.

Daisy and Delilah
05-05-2007, 06:24 PM
Products I don't go cheap on:

Dog Food and Treats

Perfume

Toilet Paper/Tissues

Hair products

Peanut butter

Soda

Bread

Chocolate

Coffee/Coffee creamer

Cheese-everyone is right. Cheap cheese is terrible :p

Sewing thread

Plant fertilizer

Dishwashing liquid

Detergent for clothes

Electronics

Deodorant

Popcorn

Gosh! Am I picky? I'm sure there are more but they escape me right now. :)

I_luv_rusty
05-05-2007, 06:37 PM
List of my family and I: (Probably missing things)

-Toliet paper & paper towels
-Tissues (I hate the tissues they have at school they make a nose hurt 5x more :o )
-Hair products
-Popcorn & Peanut Butter (skippy)
-Probably dog food
-Clothing/some shoes (not riding boots or dress shoes or flip flops)

Sevaede
05-05-2007, 06:40 PM
Pet food is something that I just won't skimp on (unless it comes down to poor food or no food). I think I will be trying to switch everyone over to Felidae and Canidae.

Fem care products.

Cokes.

car parts.

my husband prefers to wear *only* levi 501s (black).

t.p.

incense. the cheap stuff is diluted with alcohol and is not very awesome. :p

Taz_Zoee
05-05-2007, 08:30 PM
I'm sure I have more than this, but this is all that came to mind right away.
Salad Dressing. I like 1000 island, fat free. But it has to be Kraft. Bruce picked some up for me the other day and first of all, it wasn't fat free and it was the store brand. Bleh!!! :p
Also, I have to use Salon Shampoo & Conditioner. Like I said, there are probably a million other things, but I can't think of them at the moment.
(oh, yeah, chocolate!!! Cheap chocolate is nasty!! LOL)

critter crazy
05-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Things that must be Brand names

Pet food
A.1 Sauce
Chips(must be Lays)
Coke
Fem Products
Shampoo
Soap
T.P
Toothpaste
Popcorn
Candy!
Electronics(prefer GE)

I am sure there is more, but that is all I can think of.

cyber-sibes
05-05-2007, 09:48 PM
Coffee
pb
cereal
Pepsi (Pepsi is not "just like Coke", or generic colas... I don't care what you say! :rolleyes: )
chocolate & ice-cream (if I'm going to splurge on the calories & fat, it better be good!)
pet foods
and shoes (my mom would be so proud!)

Chilli
05-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Pet food(includes Dogs, Cats, Ferrets, Birds, etc.) & Peanut Butter(must be Jif). =D

Suki Wingy
05-05-2007, 11:16 PM
Rabbit food (Oslo only seems to do well on Heinold 15-20 Show Formula Rabbit Feed)
Dog Food. (Niño's on TWO right now)
Hair dye, only Manic Panic works the way I want on my hair, plus it doesn't make it feel worse and it's all natural so I can leave it in to set for hours. I's motto is "tested on celebrities, not animals!"
tampons
Riding gear. I've found out the hard way with at least 5 different major purchases. Most cheap stuff just falls apart, is horribly made, and needs to be replaced soon after buying it.
Other than those, that is about it.

RedHedd
05-06-2007, 12:04 AM
Cat food/treats
Perfume
Makeup-base, blush, eyeliner. All other makeup stuff is drugstore.
Cheese
Coffee
Bread
Shampoo/Conditioner
Bar soaps - I'm addicted to LUSH handmade soaps
Printer ink
Bras and undies must be Victoria's Secret
Comet cleanser
Purses - only Coach; I have two and alternate
Mayonnaise must be Best Foods
Ketchup must be Heinz
Tea

Most everything else I will shop price, sales, use coupons, discounts, buy online

Suki Wingy
05-06-2007, 01:33 AM
Bras and undies must be Victoria's Secret

Oh yeah, me too. The only bra that stays comfortable all day is the VS full coverage with strechy material in stead of foam cups. I have about 4 of those.

wombat2u2004
05-06-2007, 03:17 AM
OK I'm sure we all have those products that we use that we never go cheap on. Like for me its toilet paper. LOL I can't stand the "cheap" brands of toilet paper haha it's like using sandpaper to me. I also don't go with the cheaper brands for feminine products.

But I will go with the cheaper paper towel. Or the cheaper dish soap.

LOL what products do you need to be "top of the line" lol

Beads !!! I hate cheap beads.....lol :p
Wombat

Crazy-Cat-Lover
05-06-2007, 05:14 AM
These are a "must" be brand name!

Baby Food
Diapers
Baby Formula
Cat Food
Feminine Products and Makeup
Cat Litter
Pepsi
Teabags
Perfume
Deoderant
Shampoo/Conditioner & Soap
Lotion
Advil and Tylenol - generic won't cut it for me!

There is probably more, but those are the most important. :)

Argranade
05-06-2007, 08:41 AM
Well I ALWAYS get brand name bird food, I'm always scared no name bird food will not give enough nutrience to my Fids, to me the more money I spend on my fids the happier they'll be ... altho I could be wrong lol.

I don't mind no name food ... but I rather have it branded.

As for toilet papper I honestly could never care about it LOL.

Alysser
05-06-2007, 08:42 AM
Shampoo/Conditioner-I have very bad dandruff(not trying to gross anyone out but it's very true) and I can't use normal shampoo or else the dandruff will show very painfully, so I must use expensive and specialty dandruff shampoos such as, pert and head & shoulders... :p

Purses-I can't buy cheap purses or I will NEVER use it. I'd say it would have to be at least $15 and up... :p :rolleyes: :D

Popcorn-I can only buy certain popcorn because if I buy the pathmark brand or cheap brands I can tell the difference..and I absolutely despise it. I need ACT II popcorn or nothing will work.

Chips-I will eat the lays chips, but I much prefer the more expensive brand called "Cape cod". They are so good and crunchy, and I don't really like eating the lay's brand cause they break so easily and stuff. It's quite annoying.

Ketchup-Now that is a big one in my book! :eek: I cannot eat any other brand of ketchup. You can taste the difference, and the other ketchup brands to me at too watery and sugary....ick. :o Heinz is the best brand out there and it is even healthier too, I just can't stand other ketchups and you can just forget me using it if is not Heinz.

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-06-2007, 10:03 AM
I usually don't go cheap on EVERYTHING ! But if I have to pick out something: all kinds of food (yes, catfood too ;) )

Marigold2
05-06-2007, 10:13 AM
I never go cheap on furniture, after a long day of working hard I need comfortable furniture. Same thing with appliances or tools.

Some other things.
Can veggies, I never buy cheap
Toliet Paper
Fresh Fruit or Veggie
Pet Food
Cat Litter
baking supplies

Ginger's Mom
05-06-2007, 10:36 AM
Dog Food
Peanut Butter (skippy)
Soda (Coke or Mug)
Shampoo/conditioner
Ice Cream
Ketchup (Heinz)

Zippy
05-06-2007, 10:44 AM
Pet food(cat,bird,guinea pig and fish food)including treats
Cat litter
water cleaner for fish
soda pop must be name brand

cassiesmom
05-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Well, Cassie Cat eats Friskies canned and dry and 9-Lives canned - some of you will say I go cheap on that :) but I'm very hesitant to buy the store brands after the whole Menu Foods fiasco.

I'm partial to diet Coke, but if I check both of the major supermarket chains, one or the other has it on sale.

Most days I eat breakfast food for lunch - either dry cereal or oatmeal - and I go cheap on those. But with my lunch I only like Lipton or Tetley tea!

I won't go cheap on toilet tissue. I'll buy house brand acetaminophen or ibuprofen and shampoo. But I have a family member with chronic colitis, so it's the soft tissue all the way. facial tissue - I can't stand the stuff with the lotion already in it - too greasy for me - just give me basic Kleenex or Puffs.

Twisterdog
05-06-2007, 10:34 PM
When I smoked, I only bought one particular expensive brand of cigarettes. Thank goodness that nastiness is done!

I will only drink Diet Mountain Dew.

And I buy expensive underwear.

Other than that, I'm a big fan of generics!

pitc9
05-07-2007, 09:28 AM
Wow, this thread made me realize that I don't buy off brand things at all! :eek:

The only time I'll buy off is when I'm having a big party.
burger & hotdog buns, chips, paper plates... etc.

But everything else is name brand... soaps, TP, Paper towles, cleaners, food.
Peanut butter HAS to be JIF! :D

smokey the elder
05-07-2007, 10:10 AM
Let's see...

Cereal! Much as it galls me how much cereal costs, the generic just doesn't taste the same.

It has to be Hellmann's mayonnaise. No other will do. I'm irked that you cannot get it in glass containers anymore; don't they realize how much can leach from plastic into an oil based product? :confused:

Glad or Hefty garbage bags; they have a higher thickness (mils) than the generic stuff, so the failure rate is less. (Kitty litter, anyone?)

I prefer brand name ice cream; life's too short to eat cheap ice cream! :p

For a lot of products, private label (store) brands are very good. BJ's
scoopable kitty litter is first rate.

Logan
05-07-2007, 11:55 AM
This has been an interesting discussion!

I am "choosy" on:

Paper towels (prefer the "name" brands), Dog and Cat food (especially now), Ketchup (yes, I prefer Heinz), Mayonaise (Kraft, Dukes or Hellmans), and probably other things that I am not thinking of, right now.

And I should have answered, also, that I will only drink the real "Diet Coke", no knock offs and none of the different varieties that Coca Cola Company has offered! :p

sparks19
05-07-2007, 11:56 AM
LOL Ok I have to add a few things.

shampoo and Conditioner.

Toothpaste

deodorant

Basically any hygeine product.

Peanut butter.... I eat so much of it.... it just has to be good lol. (Reese's Peanut Butter)

Kleenex

Running shoes.

Bras

of course pet food.

And Ketchup just HAS to be Heinz lol.

Pembroke_Corgi
05-07-2007, 02:14 PM
I usually buy generic for basic items like flour, sugar, salt, etc. I can't tell the difference. I usually buy more expensive specialty food items though. Like chocolate, baked goods, and produce. I hate old produce, my favorite is organic and stuff from farmer's market. :)

I generally prefer more expensive name brand clothes but I hate paying full price. :D I usually buy consignment- that way I can get clothes I normally couldn't afford for a reasonable price. I find that higher end stuff lasts longer- I bought a used black Three Dots shirt about 8 years ago, that is still in good shape and is the same shade of black as when I bought it, despite countless washings. :eek: I think in that case, the higher price was definitely more cost-effective!

Another is coffee- not necessarily the brand, but the fact that I don't like making coffee, and I rarely ever make it for myself. Instead, I go to Starbucks a few times a week. :o (But in my defense I only buy the brewed kind!)

And of course pet food! We've been lucky with the Canidae and Felidae not being subject to recall...plus the pets all do well on it.

KitCat
05-07-2007, 03:29 PM
Pet food!

I buy all my grooming products at the health food store because there are enough chemicals in life!

carole
05-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Bread is the main one i will not go cheap on, along with milk,margerine,shampoo and conditioners.

Foundation,now i am older need a reasonable one, and will pay more for it.

Cheese and fruit.

Bacon, only buy the one that is chemical and perservative free these days.

Cat food, i will never buy the cheap stuff, i get one that is healthy and usually the most expensive in the supermarket, apart from Lexie's which is special and has to be from the vet.

RICHARD
05-07-2007, 09:29 PM
Motor oil, Bullets, chewing tobacco, smoking tobacco, rolling papers, fireworks and pork rinds.

Marigold2
05-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Motor oil, Bullets, chewing tobacco, smoking tobacco, rolling papers, fireworks and pork rinds.
Sounds like you live in Alabama not California. Ha ha ha ha ha ha

cyber-sibes
05-07-2007, 10:27 PM
Motor oil, Bullets, chewing tobacco, smoking tobacco, rolling papers, fireworks and pork rinds.Yee-haw!

slick
05-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Cream of Mushroom soup. It absolutely has to be Campbells and not the generic stuff. Same with boxed Mac and Cheeze. It has to be Kraft.

For years now I've always bought the 24-roll 2-ply generic TP but now that I'm "mature" and my butt is a tad sensitive, I'm paying more for the fluffy kind.

Other than that, I always buy generic for everything else.

Twisterdog
05-07-2007, 11:29 PM

LMAO ... that is SUCH a "guy" list. My husband would probably agree completely. He would also add Diet Pepsi and Jack Daniels. :rolleyes:

Sevaede
05-08-2007, 02:20 AM
LMAO ... that is SUCH a "guy" list. My husband would probably agree completely. He would also add Diet Pepsi and Jack Daniels. :rolleyes:

Indeed! My husband would add JD or Evan Williams to that list as well. He, also, detests cheap beer and the cheapest he will go is Steel Reserve.

Neither of us like the off-brand sodas. I swear that the cheap orange sodas taste like black pepper! :p :D :o

pitc9
05-08-2007, 09:49 AM
I went to the grocery store last night and realized that I buy off brand plastic baggies but not plastic wrap or aluminum foil. (tried it... not worth saving a buck or 2.)

mruffruff
05-08-2007, 12:39 PM
I find that I actually prefer some generic or store brands better. I won't buy generic pet kibble or paper towels. Also I must have name brand make-up (I need all the help I can get!).

I LIKE to get name brand clothes, but only if I can get them at my local thrift stores. I bought a Sag Harbor sweater set yesterday for $1.00. That made me happy :D

lvpets2002
05-08-2007, 12:49 PM
:) Well Michele you pretty much summed it up for me too..
I have a few things that have to be 'the good stuff' LOL

pet food is at the very top of the list

cat litter

feminine products

Nutella (Guido will not have any knock off of Nutella it has to be the real deal)

computer components

perfume and skin creams ( I don't buy it often but I do not and cannot buy the cheap knock offs. My skin is too sensitive and there are only certain types I can use)

over the counter meds

There are probably others I will have to think on it though.

Babyboonie
05-08-2007, 01:19 PM
This thread is hilarious!! I didn't realise how "picky" I was until I was reading the responses and going.."oh yeah, I wouldn't scrimp on that either!". But, here's my definate list of "it has to be brand names" items:

Chocolate - cheap stuff just doesn't taste as good...and doesn't satisfy the cravings!
Shampoo & Conditioner - has to be Herbal Essences for me! Well, you've seen the advert haven't you???????!!! LOL!!
Femine Products (enough said!)
Tea - has to be PG Tips...what a good brew!
Perfume - it maybe expensive sometimes...but doesn't tend to go off as quick!
Toilet Paper - I like having a soft bum!
Wrinkle Cream - well, at 26 I have to start with a good one now or they'll be nope hope for me in a few years!!!!
Pet Food - i wouldn't eat the rubbish, so why should they? Although sometimes I think they would probably prefer it!!

:D :D

IRescue452
05-08-2007, 01:32 PM
Everybody got it right with cheese! I'm from WI (Little Chute- home of the Great Wisconsin Cheese Festival) We buy cheese from specialty stores. Kraft is horrible. Real CA cheese my rear end! It says "artificial coloring red and yellow and artificial flavoring" right on each package of kraft cheese product.

Most dry or canned goods (cereal, boxed pastas, ect.) I'll buy from walmart or sav-a-lot. However, I always buy baked goods, produce, and meats from more reputable grocery stores. I won't skimp on those things.

I don't skimp on auto parts either ;) but my stepdad would

Uabassoon
05-08-2007, 02:06 PM
I generally go cheap on most products but there are a few that I won't skimp out on.

Toilet paper, I hate cheap 1 ply toilet paper
deoderant, if I go cheap then I get sweaty and smelly!
hair product, I buy the kind from the salon because I have short hair and if I buy cheap stuff my hair looks horrible by the end of the day from taking my apron on and off at work
soda, I will only by generic if pepsi or coke is not on sale and the generic is on super sale
lotion, I have dry skin so having a good body mosturizer is important
Like Sparks I can't have cheap bras! I'm well endowed so I need something with support!

lbaker
05-08-2007, 02:18 PM
Must have - brand name good mayo, peanut butter (PeterPan, Skippy or Jif), Ketchup (Heinz), crab meat (only from the Chesapeake :rolleyes: ). A few others but those few for double sure :cool:

Randi
05-08-2007, 02:51 PM
I won't buy cheap catfood and catlitter - in the long run, it actually is cheaper to get the good stuff, since Fister won't get sick from it. :)

Then, there's ryebread and french bread, that has to be the best - I buy that all the time! Also toiletpaper! Why buy the cheap crap and use 6-8 pieces while you can get the soft thick ones using 2-3 pieces. just think about it... it's cheaper to get the good one. ;)

I normally get eco milk, and I would also like to get brown sugar, instead of the white stuff, but it's a little expensive here. I do buy Maldon salt though.

Oh, and chocolade has to be top class too. ;)

I can't think of more things right now, but when I travel to cheaper countries, I always get a good Shampoo, like Redken or John Frieda, and also a certain body lotion/cream I like when I go to England (E45).

carole
05-08-2007, 08:21 PM
I must add lettuce to my list, i used to buy the cheapest lettuce around, and now i buy the best,i eat a lot of it and so i feel it should be only the best.

Funny how some of you don't like kraft, we think Kraft peanut butter is the only one to buy in my household. :)

Babyboonie, just had to comment, you mentioned wrinkle cream, just saw an item on tv last night that all the expensive brands are a big have, they donot do what they claim and you are just as well off with the cheaper brands, i think they are talking about products that are like 80 dollars and more, i buy Loreal at 36 dollars and i like it, sure it don't make those wrinkles disappear but it moisturisers well and as i am nearly 50 i need that little extra, you are young yet, but good on you for taking care of your skin now before its too late. :)

Daisy and Delilah
05-08-2007, 10:11 PM
I didn't know Kraft makes peanut butter. I don't think it's available here :confused:

carole
05-08-2007, 10:30 PM
yep they sure do, we only buy that brand in New Zealand, it is yummy. :)

RedHedd
05-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Everybody got it right with cheese! I'm from WI (Little Chute- home of the Great Wisconsin Cheese Festival) We buy cheese from specialty stores. Kraft is horrible. Real CA cheese my rear end! It says "artificial coloring red and yellow and artificial flavoring" right on each package of kraft cheese product. Kraft masquerading as California Cheese! Well, I NEVER! :eek: No way! That orange Kraft stuff isn't cheese at all is it? I thought it was plastic - isn't it related to Velveeta? :D

I'm a California native and can certainly taste the difference in MY cheese!

IRescue452
05-09-2007, 12:04 PM
I think Kraft is plastic: melted nasty orange plastic

I can only eat Jif peanut butter. I hate hate hate the taste of skippy and peter pan.

Miss Z
05-09-2007, 04:56 PM
I never buy cheap and cheerful mascara. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's watery, lumpy, useless mascara! :p

Of course anything for the animals I'll always make sure is of the highest quality.

caseysmom
05-09-2007, 05:02 PM
I like the tillamook cheese...not sure if its from WI or not.....my daughter loves the kraft swiss individual wrapped slices but she is 14 what kind of taste can she have :D

Randi
06-18-2011, 11:56 AM
LOL! I was searching to see if anyone use "Best Friends" cat-litter and came across this thread. It's funny to see how nearly all of of you have peanut butter and ketchup in your kitchens. It's probably 20 years ago I last had peanut butter and I can't remember ever buying ketchup. Do you use it for hamburgers or what?

Btw, I got a bag of "Best Friends" cat-litter from a friend who moved, and I don't like it, but I mix it with the one I have. :)

Scooter's Mom
06-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Thanks for bumping this thread. I really enjoyed reading through it!

Some things I do *not* skimp on...
Toilet Paper - must be Quilted Northern - the purple package, 3 ply kind.

Sugar Free pudding cups - Jello brand is the only I buy. I love the dulce le leche flavor!

Soda - Hubby has to have Dr. Pepper & I either drink Diet Coke or Sprite Zero. (Sprite Zero is my favorite but not as available as the Diet Coke)

Pet food - dogs eat Wellness and the cats eat Taste of the Wild. It's not as good as some folks feed, but my crew is really happy with it.

chocolatepuppy
06-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Coke, Log Cabin syrup, and of course dog food, cat food, and kitty litter.;)

pomtzu
06-18-2011, 02:46 PM
LOL! It's probably 20 years ago I last had peanut butter and I can't remember ever buying ketchup. Do you use it for hamburgers or what?

Yikes - no peanut butter or ketchup in your pantry?? That's pretty much unheard of in the U.S. And yes - ketchup on hamburgers, hot dogs, french fries, and a whole lot more. :)

With the economy the way it is and since I retired, I'm not as strict on my brands as I used to be, but here are some items on my "must be good stuff list" with no generic or less expensive brands:

Soft drinks - Pepsi or 7Up
Mayo - I don't do mayo so it's Miracle Whip
"Butter" spread - Shed's Spread or I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
Baked beans - B&M or Bush's
Fresh chicken - Perdue or Tyson's
Cranberry sauce - Ocean Spray
Maple (flavor) syrup - Mrs Butterworth's
Dog food - Myndi has to have K/D prescription only. Sparky - all he will eat is Pedigree or Cesar's, or fresh cooked chicken. Not the best, but I have NEVER fed cheap store brands.
Bras - Barely Breezies
Sandals - Birkenstock
Toilet paper - Angel Soft or Quilted Northern
Toothpaste - Crest or Colgate
Shampoo, conditioner & gel - Pantene
Hair spray - L'Oreal Elnett
Other makeup - A good brand - no super cheap junk

Karen
06-18-2011, 02:49 PM
It's probably 20 years ago I last had peanut butter and I can't remember ever buying ketchup. Do you use it for hamburgers or what?

Yup - ketchup goes on hamburgers, hotdogs and most especially on french fries. My brother-in-law puts it on scrambled eggs, which I can't even look at!

Now, though I cannot have ketchup, as it all has corn syrup in it, and I am allergic to that.

We don't go cheap on paper towels, you need so many more of the "cheap" kind that it makes buying the good stuff worth it. And I only buy Scotties' brand tissues, as Kleenex and especially the generic kinds are far dustier.

Edwina's Secretary
06-18-2011, 02:53 PM
Yikes - no peanut butter or ketchup in your pantry?? That's pretty much unheard of in the U.S. And yes - ketchup on hamburgers, hot dogs, french fries, and a whole lot more. :)

I have never eaten peanut butter (or jelly!) and I do not use ketchup. Before I was married I had a jar of peanut butter someone had given me as a joke. I used it to bait mouse traps... my mother always kept a jar for feeding the birds in winter. No one in my family ate peanut butter.

As for ketchup - I would have those little packets from the fast food places in case a guest wanted it.

My husband likes both (and does the grocery shopping!) so they are in the pantry now. But I can't even bear the thought of eating peanut butter, jelly or ketchup!

Catty1
06-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Peanut butter and honey or raspberry jam sandwiches - loved those as a kid. I couldn't understand friends who had peanut butter and BANANA. ;)

If you mix ketchup with horseradish, you get a quick shrimp or seafood dip.

Pop/soda - diet or otherwise - I had my first serving yesterday in about 3 months. No biggie. Most fast food places have orange juice or iced tea. Yes, iced tea has lots of sugar in it, but won't hurt my bones like the fizzy stuff will.

Karen - there are quite a few recipes for home-made ketchup online. This one looks pretty good. :)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/ketchup/detail.aspx

I don't skimp on cat food - which kinda gets tough with 3 kitties now. (I know, I know...but there was no sending Zoe back! :( ) I use the Loblaws/President's Choice natural clumping litter - made entirely out of ground corn husks. It's a bit expensive, but lasts a surprisingly long time.

I try and buy beef etc on sale - but today was happy to pay $15 for a frozen chicken sold at the local Farmer's Market by the Mountainview Hutterite colony. They are officially inspected (tagged) huge and delicious and one chicken goes a long way.

Nor do I skimp on Internet. :)

pomtzu
06-18-2011, 03:58 PM
Peanut butter and honey or raspberry jam sandwiches - loved those as a kid. I couldn't understand friends who had peanut butter and BANANA. ;)

I try and buy beef etc on sale - but today was happy to pay $15 for a frozen chicken sold at the local Farmer's Market by the Mountainview Hutterite colony. They are officially inspected (tagged) huge and delicious and one chicken goes a long way.

$15 for a chicken??? You're kidding - right? :eek: I could buy a decent sized turkey for that. I pay 78 Cents per pound for fresh huge Purdue roasting chickens at Sams. They come packaged in 2's, and average about 6 or 7 lbs each. Too bad I can't send you some packed in dry ice. :D One chicken feeds us (3 adults and one teen), with some left over for the pups. I guess I would starve if I lived in Canada. :eek::p

And peanut butter and banana is delicious, tho I prefer it with strawberry or peach preserves. I use it more in other recipes for baking, than I do just eating on a sandwich tho.

Catty1
06-18-2011, 07:05 PM
pom - it's a fresh farm chicken, free range. The flavour is amazing - and I have to use turkey roasting directions for the size of the thing. :)

K9karen
06-18-2011, 10:32 PM
The peanut butter posts made me laugh. My 98 y.o. uncle puts peanut butter on bread, waffles, pancakes (PLUS the syrup!) Maybe that's his secret to longevity! I buy him the biggest jar of Skippy or Jif that I can find and it's gone in no time! I rarely ate pbj as a kid. My mom thought it was more of a "treat" not a lunch meal. For some reason same with pizza. It was a late snack on weekends. (not now, though-pbj on raisen bread!! yum!)

I love ketchup! I don't put it on everything, but my brother does..scrambled eggs, baked beans, sloppy joes.

For me, certain foods have GOT to be real: butter, mayo, ice cream, cheese (not those prepackaged slices), bacon. All the high cholestrol, fattening stuff. That's OK though, I use a sugar substitute!! :D:D:D:p

Alysser
06-18-2011, 10:36 PM
I'm also gonna add laptops to my list. Never again will I settle for a $600 Dell since they never work right, at least for me. I'll always be a Mac person.

I'll also add workout clothes to the list. Many people just wear any old tee and shorts to the gym, but I'm always in Under Armour or Nike. I also ALWAYS wear basketball shorts. I don't like being sweaty so under armour is fantastic and it also just feels so much easier to move around in. I also use it for work. I do, however, usually buy it at discount shops or outlet factories. Even then UA is still quite expensive.

Last year, I purchased an Olympus Stylus Tough 6000. It was $275. For a point and shoot camera, people found that pretty ridiculous. You can buy decent point and shoots for $120-140. I've had many cameras, some of which broke for no reason, some I broke, some that were just way too outdated. Because I broke my camera before my Olympus I was looking for something way more suited for my lifestyle. I got out alot, I'm always outside, I go swimming/beach alot. I needed something that could survive all that. This camera is waterproof, shockproof so it can be dropped, and freezeproof. It may have cost me a bundle but it was well worth it. I never worry about dropping it, I'm always swimming with it. I take it everywhere with no problems, even in the snow! It's a little out there though. It's pretty beat up but it works great still. I'm looking into buying the new updated one for $250 with much better features, but of course I'll always love my first one!

Karen
06-18-2011, 11:35 PM
Maple syrup - Mrs Butterworth's

Just a point of correction, Pomtzu! There is no actual maple syrup in Mrs. Butterworth's! It is primarily corn syrup, with molasses and other stuff, but no maple!

Thankfully, I am not allergic to maple syrup, so I can still have the real stuff. (I'm allergic to corn/corn syrup so now have to be picker than ever.)

krazyaboutkatz
06-19-2011, 12:47 AM
Regarding peanut butter. I still eat PB&J sandwiches almost every day. The peanut butter has to be Jif extra crunchy and I prefer the jelly to be red raspberry. I've been bringing my lunch to work for quite a while now to help save money instead of eating out all of the time. PB&J on wheat bread, a protein bar, and an apple help to get me through the day at work.:) I grew up eating Jif extra crunchy with only grape jelly. Now I can't stand grape jelly. I also ate some Fluffernutter sandwiches(Fluff (marshmallow cream) with peanutbutter). They were pretty good too.

Randi
06-19-2011, 04:37 AM
Well, I had my last hamburger in CA at Christmas, on that I had ketchup and it was good. Don made it for me. :D However, I also had a yummy hamburger in Spain many years ago, with only a slice of raw onion, green salad and a slice of tomato.

French fries I don't eat, but it seems that most people love them. I prefer normal boiled potatoes, oven baked or mash. I also noticed that Americans use syrup a lot, while over here, we use honey. When you refer to jelly, is that what we call marmelade/jam?

One thing I miss here, is a good cereal - like Jordan's Country Crisp with 4 nuts. Also Shreddies (little square ones).

moosmom
06-19-2011, 06:19 AM
I buy a lot of my stuff at the "Dollar Stores". Paper goods, canned cat food, staples like cleaning products.

I do not go cheap on dry cat food. I give my cats Blue Buffalo and Wilderness foods. I use Tidy Cat litter which my cats love, as they like to dig.

finn's mom
06-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Dog food is definitely on the top of the list (any pet food, I only have dogs right now). No way will I go cheap on that.

Hair stuff. If I buy a good organic shampoo, I can (not that I do) go up to four days without washing my hair. I have oily skin and hair, and if I use cheap or even most name brands (Pantene springs to mind), and wash my hair in the morning, it's oily by the time I go to bed.

Cheese. I have purchased generic, when I haven't had a choice, but it is pretty disgusting.

Marigold2
06-19-2011, 09:43 AM
Fruits and veggies.

Karen
06-19-2011, 02:05 PM
When you refer to jelly, is that what we call marmelade/jam?

Jelly is usually clear - it gets strained (through cheesecloth when we made it at home) so there is no pulp or seeds, whereas jam or marmalade has pieces of the actual fruit in them, and rinds for the marmalade.

krazyaboutkatz
06-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Jelly is usually clear - it gets strained (through cheesecloth when we made it at home) so there is no pulp or seeds, whereas jam or marmalade has pieces of the actual fruit in them, and rinds for the marmalade.

The jelly that I currently use and love is called Red Raspberry Preserves and it still has the seeds in it which I don't mind at all. I buy it at Smart & Final and the brand is First Street. I bought 2 more jars today and it just happened to be on sale.:)

K9karen
06-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Randi, I LOVE honey! I buy the expensive all natural. I love it on plain yogurt with fresh fruit (and a few walnuts). I use it in tea and even cooking. Thanks for the reminder...

lbaker
06-21-2011, 08:44 AM
Hi friends, long time no visit (but I do lurk now and again ;))

Must have good quality P-nut butter.. Hellmans mayonaise.. Heinz ketchup BUT PLEEEASE.... NO KETCHUP EVER ON A HOTDOG.. that's as bad as ketchup on a bologna sandwich YUK!!! :eek: on french fries OK but I actually prefer vinegar like you get on the boardwalk. I do understand that some places in Europe use mayonaise on fries.. Randi? Can that be true? I never actually witnessed it when I was "on the other side of the pond" :rolleyes: I do prefer real maple syrup but it can be rather expensive... Log Cabin is the norm for my pantry, unless I splurge.

I once sampled the free cheese they offer at the Food Bank (I was in dire straits at the time) and even my dogs wouldn't touch it :rolleyes:

Laurie

Randi
06-21-2011, 09:26 AM
I do understand that some places in Europe use mayonaise on fries.. Randi? Can that be true?
Since I never eat fries, I'm not sure, but some people put the weirdest things on, also something called Remolade, which I would use on a plaice fillet or on "Fiske frikadeller". Se link: http://www.google.com/search?q=fiskefrikadeller&hl=en&prmd=ivnse&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=ZqoATt7QG8uk-gbg4JzADQ&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CA8Q_AUoAQ&biw=866&bih=725

There are quite a few different recipes for it, here is one:
Ingredients for Remolade Recipe

2 hard boiled egg yolks
1 raw egg yolk
1 teaspoon mustard
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon chopped parsley
3 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
1 cup oil

Instructions

Rub together the cooked egg yolks, the raw egg yolk, seasonings and parsley; add two tablespoons of vinegar, combine the oil slowly, adding more vinegar until all has been used.
Beat with Dover beater until very light and thick.

Sauce rémoulade

According to Larousse Gastronomique (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larousse_Gastronomique), rémoulade is 250 ml of mayonnaise with 2 tablespoons mixed herbs (parsley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsley), chives (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chives), chervil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chervil) and tarragon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarragon)), 1 tablespoon drained capers, 2 finely diced cornichons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornichons) and a few drops of anchovy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchovy) essence (optional). Some recipes use chopped anchovy fillets. The rémoulade used in céleri rémoulade is a simple mustard-flavoured mayonnaise spiced with garlic and pepper. Rémoulade is classified in French cooking as a derivative of the mayonnaise (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayonnaise) sauce.
Danish remoulade

Danish remoulade has a mild, sweet-sour taste and a medium yellow color. The typical industrially-made variety does not contain capers, but finely-chopped cabbage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabbage) and pickled cucumber (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cucumber), fair amounts of sugar and hints of mustard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustard_seed), cayenne (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cayenne), coriander (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriander) and onion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onion), and turmeric (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turmeric) for color. The herbs are replaced by herbal essences, e.g. tarragon vinegar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinegar). Starch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starch), gelatin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelatin) or milk protein (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_protein) may be added as thickeners (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thickener).
Homemade or gourmet varieties may use olive oil (especially good with fish), capers, pickles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickles), carrots, cucumber, lemon juice, dill (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dill), chervil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chervil), parsley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsley) or other fresh herbs, and possibly curry.

mrspunkysmom
06-21-2011, 09:33 AM
Butter. I use real butter. The ingredient list is far shorter and I believe that it is healthier. Real Butter also tastes a lot better.

finn's mom
06-21-2011, 09:50 AM
NO KETCHUP EVER ON A HOTDOG. . . that's as bad as ketchup on a bologna sandwich YUK!!! :eek: on french fries OK . . . I do understand that some places in Europe use mayonaise on fries.. Randi? Can that be true?

I've never eaten a bologna sandwich, but I LOVE ketchup on a hotdog (when I eat them, which is usually only at the ballpark!)

And, I know when I visited Amsterdam, I always saw the Europeans put mayonnaise on french fries. Doesn't gross me out, but I don't personally eat it that way. I can't remember if I ever saw them eat mayo on fries in Germany when I lived there.

I will say this, too . . . when I spent a week in Logan, Utah (not far from Salt Lake City), the couple burger joints I went to had what the locals referred to as "pink sauce" in condiment bottles on the tables, and it was a mixture of mayo and ketchup. They used it on everything! It wasn't bad, but I still prefer ketchup. ;)

MoonandBean
06-21-2011, 09:59 AM
The best ice cream...I love the whole "philadelphia style turkey hill line"...they have 6 premium flavors. I basically can't eat any other ice cream now :(

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.turkeyhill.com/images/frozen-desserts/all-natural-ice-cream/1-5-qts/mint-chocolate-chip.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.turkeyhill.com/products/all-natural-recipe-flavors.aspx%3FpID%3D102&usg=__eNsHEgMgNEk0fVCZaJl33lMnL_Y=&h=402&w=390&sz=46&hl=en&start=6&zoom=1&tbnid=-3Vz_Rt-kBIC5M:&tbnh=124&tbnw=120&ei=1rAATuSEHqnw0gGxjsGxDg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dturkey%2Bhill%2Bphiladelphia%2Bstyle% 2Bice%2Bcream%2Bmint%2Bchip%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26s afe%3Dactive%26sa%3DN%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1

pomtzu
06-21-2011, 10:00 AM
I never heard of mayo on fries either, till I saw my niece in FL eating them that way just a few years ago. YUK!! However, now my son eats them with mayo too. :eek: I don't like mayo anyway, so you'll never see me eating fries with mayo - only ketchup or vinegar. Of course, being from New England, vinegar was the only way I ever ate them until I ventured out into the world, and saw everyone else eating them with ketchup. I thought that was gross too, until I tried it. :p

finn's mom
06-21-2011, 10:07 AM
Red licorice! I will only eat the Australian red, Kookaburra brand. I use to eat Twizzlers and Red Vines, but after I tried the Kookaburra, forget it. I'll never eat that cheap stuff again. ;)

wolf_Q
06-21-2011, 10:59 AM
I will say this, too . . . when I spent a week in Logan, Utah (not far from Salt Lake City), the couple burger joints I went to had what the locals referred to as "pink sauce" in condiment bottles on the tables, and it was a mixture of mayo and ketchup. They used it on everything! It wasn't bad, but I still prefer ketchup. ;)

Yeah, we love our pink sauce ha ha. Corby likes to mix extra ketchup in it. Some local joints have pickle juice and other things mixed in their pink sauce, it sounds weird but its good. Our Carl's Jr and Sonic have pink sauce too here not sure if they have it in other states?

We buy a lot of store brand stuff, but there's definitely a few things I like name brand. Dog food (I'd never buy any kind you can get at a grocery store), shampoo, pickles (no name brand pickles always seem soft not crispy), cereal - Corby always gets just the big bags of cereal, there's a few kinds of cereal I love so I buy the name brands every now and then. I love real maple syrup, Corby doesn't care, so we have both sometimes when I splurge and buy it. Only kraft macaroni and cheese the rest are gross. I don't know, a lot of it depends on if things are on sale and how bad I want it ha ha.

pomtzu
06-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Red licorice! I will only eat the Australian red, Kookaburra brand. I use to eat Twizzlers and Red Vines, but after I tried the Kookaburra, forget it. I'll never eat that cheap stuff again. ;)

I'm sitting here with a bag of strawberry Twizzlers on my desk. I'm addicted to them. They make some other different flavors now too, but I'm not crazy about them. Where do you find the Kookaburra brand? - I never heard of it.

krazyaboutkatz
06-22-2011, 12:55 AM
I've never heard of using "pink sauce" on fries or anything else. A lot of people in CA like to use Ranch dressing on fries. I use it if I eat fried zucchini but I still love ketchup on fries and hamburgers. I haven't eaten hotdogs in years but if I did now I'd use mustard on them.