PDA

View Full Version : Pet's name and why...

lovemymaltese
07-11-2002, 03:02 PM
A dog named Tango, he was named Tango because he dances on his hind legs.
-And a fish named Roy, he is named Roy because he is evry color of the rainbow. Roy is short for ROYGBIV (ROYGBIV: the way to remember the colors in order).

Logan
07-11-2002, 03:48 PM
Honey is "Honey" because her mother was "Johnston's Brown Sugar".....and I thought "Honey" was unique and was in keeping with that name. Little did I know that there are many Golden Retrievers named Honey.......and now a precious Chow baby named "Huney" too!! Honey's registered name is "Helen's Sweet Honey". And she really is!!

Lilly is "Lilly" because we wanted to name her after a flower....and Helen also loved a book called "Lilly and the Purple Plastic Purse". So we combined "Lilly" with "Tiger Lily" and got our Lilly. Lilly's registered name is "Givens Tiger Lilly".

We love them both so much we are sappy about it. :o

Aspen and Misty
07-11-2002, 04:45 PM
Teddy Bear got his name cause he is juts one big fluffy Teddy bear.
Chewy got his name well cause one his full name if Chewy don't chew on that and two becasue he chews on EVERYTHING.
Misty got her name cause she has a hint of gray in her and we were only little
Hoss got his name cause my littel brothers name is Little Hoss my Older brothers nick name is Mediom Hoss and my oldest brothers name is Big hoss, so Hoss was named Mr. Hoss, (my little borthers cat.)
Buddy got his name cause on x-mas when my oldest brotehr say him he said hey little buddy and it stuck
Smokey got her name casue she is a grey color
Tundra got her name cause she is white like the tundra
Melony and Hope got there names cause i promised my friend I would name one after her bunny and the other hope in hope her other bunny didn't catch what her cage mate died from
Guy got his name cause we always called him little guy
Kitty got her name cause she is a cat fish

Kfamr
07-11-2002, 04:47 PM
I named Simba because The Lion King is my favorite movie.... and Simba is my favorite charactor! I named my one gold fish Nelly because he's a black moor goldfish and well Nelly is my favorite rapper and he's black! The others just needed names and i gave them to them lol... I even forget them sometimes lol :o

Sam's My Baby
07-11-2002, 05:48 PM
I named my cat Muffin cuz he is as sweet as a muffin!:D :)
I named my gerbil Sam becuase I liked the name Samantha but I call her Sam for short! Her original name was Salem but we changed it.:)
I got my duck when I was 9, so I dont remember about his name, I just remembered that my brother gave him that name. lol.:D
My birds names are Mr. & Mrs. Tweety cuz it seems as though ALWAYS chirping!:D :)

dukedogsmom
07-11-2002, 08:04 PM
At the time I got Duke, my boyfriend had a female shepherd named Duchess so I thought it would be cute to have a Duke in the family as well.

Gepansy
07-11-2002, 08:37 PM
Oreo got her name because she is black and white.
I named Sara...just something told me she looked like a Sara!
My dad named my cat, Clairice, whom was a stray that we found and kept. He named her after that lion Clairence(spelling)that was on tv or something.;)

DoggiesAreTheBest
07-12-2002, 06:43 AM
Drake is named after Sir Francis Drake, an explorer who is famous for his circumnavigation of the world in the sixteenth century.

Andrew and I love traveling and exploring new places and we thought Drake was a good name for the furkid. Little did we know that he would live up to his name and is quite the explorer/adventure junkie!

jackiesdaisy1935
07-12-2002, 09:14 AM
Miss Daisy was named after the charactor in the movie which we loved "Driving Miss Daisy"
Perry was already named by his breeder, his actual name is
"Dom Perignon" after that great champagne. What do they say' fine as wine'
Jackie

lovemymaltese
07-12-2002, 09:24 AM
Logan, I like the names Honey and Lily. I have never heard of a golden retriever that was named Honey, the most popular names that I have heard are Shadow and Duke.

lovemymaltese
07-12-2002, 09:25 AM
That is so hilarious how Chewy got his name, I laughed so hard when I read that. Ha!

lovemymaltese
07-12-2002, 09:27 AM
I think that is the first dog that I have heard that was named after a wine, I think it's cute though.

Crikit
07-12-2002, 11:29 AM
I'm actually not to sure how my dogs got their names they both had them when I got them and I thought they were cute names so I didn't bother changing them.

I think Smudge got his name though because he has some Smudges of white on his chest, and paws...either that or because he's a smudge of this and a smudge of that.

While Winter got her name because she was born in the winter but she was actually born in the fall but oh well, the name seem to fits her because at times she can be a little cold and distant but like the Alberta weather she has major chinooks that kind of melts her heart.

man that last line was corny.

lovemymaltese
07-12-2002, 11:36 AM
I dont think that it was corny. I also think that Smudge is a cute name, very unique.

Albea
07-13-2002, 12:09 PM
"Carina" means "little darling" in Italian. That was the first thought that came to my mind when I saw her coming down from the car when my brother brought her from New Jersey. Although not little any longer, she has lived up to her name.;)

lovemymaltese
07-13-2002, 12:57 PM
Carina is beautiful and the Italian meaning makes it so special.

Rottieluver45
07-13-2002, 03:48 PM
We chose the name P.J. Cause it stands for Pride and Joy.

Pam
07-13-2002, 04:38 PM
Albea I didn't know Carina was a Jersey doggie!! :cool: Our Bella was named by my hubby. I am not sure to this day where he came up with the name, although there was an old thread on Pet Talk about a Bella but I never told him the name although I did relate the story. He just liked the name and since I had named all of our other dogs I thought I'd give him a chance this time. LOL! I came to find out later that Bella means beautiful in Italian, and she certainly is! ;)

Cincy'sMom
07-14-2002, 07:21 AM
Before we went to get Sadie I knew she was black with some white. I was sorta thinkin Panda. Once we saw her it didn't seem to fit. Ralph suggested Sadie, as it was the name of a neighbor dog growing up. It was only later I found it Sadie means Princess, and boy does that fit!

Cincy is a shorten form of Cincinnati, where Ralph and I both went to college and met.

Albea
07-14-2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Pam
Albea I didn't know Carina was a Jersey doggie!!
Pam:
The reason why Carina is a Jersey doggie is because when my second Golden, Irina, died I was so depressed I didn't sleep or function,for three weeks. At the time, Yankee Golden Retriever Rescue was in its infancy, not as well organized as they are today and I could not get another soon enough. Then I remembered that the parents of one of my students were breeders. I talked to his mother, she said they only had a six months old pup and they intended to keep her because she was so good. Well, my powers of persuasion must have been very good because I talked her into selling me the puppy.;) My brother, who lives in Virginia, drove to NJ to get her and bring her to me. That was the first time I saw her. As they say: the rest is history:D She has been with me for nine years this week.

ParNone
07-14-2002, 07:50 PM
McMurphy, after the lead character in the TV show, China Beach.
The character was somewhat fiesty, so I thought that was
appropriate for a terrier.

Madison, after the mermaid from the movie, Splash. The name of
a character that was curious about everything, seemed
appropriate for a terrier too.

Par...

Pam
07-14-2002, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Albea
My brother, who lives in Virginia, drove to NJ to get her and bring her to me. That was the first time I saw her. As they say: the rest is history:D She has been with me for nine years this week.

That's one terrific brother! I guess he has earned the name "Uncle" where Carina is concerned. ;) What a sweet beginning!

wolf_Q
07-15-2002, 04:51 PM
Reggie and Smokey were both named by my brother so I'd have to ask him lol. I think with Reggie he just suggested it and we all liked it.

Nebo is named after a beautiful mountain here in Utah. It's one of my favorites. My fave is Timpanogos, but I'm not naming a dog that!

yorkster
07-15-2002, 07:04 PM
I have a Border Collie/Lab mix named Scout. I chose that name because of the book & movie "To Kill a Mockingbird" , one of my all-time favorites. :) I also just like the name!

LoudLou
07-15-2002, 08:43 PM
Louie's full name is Louis Qwilleran Winthorpe. My husband named him after Dan Akroyd's character in Trading Places, Louie Winthorpe. Qwilleran is from The Cat Who... books.

yorkster
07-16-2002, 12:18 AM
You mean like "The Cat Who Could Read Backwards" or "The Cat Who Liked Danish Modern" ???
I love those books- Lillian Jackson-Braun (I think)?

LoudLou
07-16-2002, 02:11 AM
Yes! I was going to name our first "skin"kid Qwilleran but we decided to have only furkids so Louie got the middle name.:)

lovemymaltese
07-16-2002, 12:58 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk Parnone

Stenograsaurus
07-17-2002, 09:00 AM
Well, Dakota's original name was Voyager because when we were driving down to get him, we were following a Voyager van. Well, after a few weeks, we decided Voyager would be hard for the baby to pronounce, so we changed it to Dakota after the Dodge Dakota (I always liked that truck.).

Patience got her name because she was a stray that came with a lot of "baggage" and required a lot of work and patience in the beginning. It has definitely been worth it though. I was actually thinking of changing her name to Treasure because of the saying "one man's trash is another man's treasure". She was an idiot's throw away but she's definitely a treasure to me. :D

Kilo, our RB dog, was named when we got him. When we got him, I asked them if they would accept a check and who to make the check out to. When she said her last name was Rickabaugh, I about died. Rickabaugh is well known for their drug use and here is their dog named Kilo. I asked my husband when we got into the car if we should run right to the Vet's office to have him x-rayed to see if he had any baggies in him. :rolleyes: Since we had Kilo to work with when thinking of a papered name, we named him Kilometer of Playfulness.

anna_66
07-18-2002, 08:43 AM
Well, I'll start with our little Huney girl first,
I named her this because when we were trying to get her (she was dumped) we kept saying "Come here honey". And everytime I would say "honey" she would look at me like "That's my name!"

Roxey got her name from the Police song *Roxanne*, it came on the radio when we were bringing her home, and it just sounded right!

Angus, well, Mark said whenever we get a Rottweiler, his name is going to be *Angus*, ya know, Angus Young from the group AC/DC!

CountryWolf07
07-18-2002, 08:43 PM
Anna was already named when we got her..
Rosie, my brother named her "Rose" but my dad wanted to add the "ie" on the end, so it's Rosie.. Don't know how that happened really. It just stuck. - Rach

Dixie Belle
07-19-2002, 02:14 AM
Let's see.....

Jewel --When I got her, I also got another cat that I named Jake. I wanted their names to start with the same letter, and there was a lady I went to church will named Juelle. So I decided on Jewel. And it has worked out well, because she is the "Jewel" of the family!

Blue --My husband's granddaddy named him. He said that Blue's spots were blue, even though everyone tried to tell him they were black!

Mama --Her name was really Brown Bay to start with. Brown for the color of her eyes, and Bay for the way that she barked. But then one day, my neice, a year old at the time, decided that she wanted to run out to the road, with a car coming. Mama tore out of nowhere and bit her shirt, pulled her all the way down to the ground and stood over her until I got there. The name just seemed to fit after that, and she anwsered to it.

Dixie Belle--My husband wanted to call her Dixie. I liked the name Belle, which is French for beautiful. So we combined them.

Beautiful--The lady I got her from had named her that, and as she was already six months old, I didn't want to change it.

Otto--Honestly, I don't know. I really wanted to name him George W. Bush (I got him right after 9-11) but somehow we started to call him Otto. I am clueless on where the name came from.

Prince-- He was three weeks old when we brought him home. I remember sitting on the couch, hold him in one hand, he was so tiny. The name Prince just came to me. And the way he bosses Belle around, I really believe he grew into it.

Missie Rose--The people we got her from had named her Missy. We liked that, but I wanted to spell it differently, so I did. And I like my AKC dogs to have middle names, so I had to come up with one. Since the first thing she tore up was my rosebush, I picked Rose.

I think that is everyone.

ChrisAK
07-19-2002, 01:13 PM
Male shepherd Registered: Rio Oso Vom Waldenhaus
Rio (River in spanish) Oso (Bear in spanish) last name is the kennels name. We were in Alaska when we purchased Rio. The river is notorious for the bears to hang around at. So we figured since it was fitting, it stuck. He's also know by many other names:

Rio
Stinkaloopagus
B*tthead
Mammas baby

Female shepherd is a purebred rescue: Jazz. She also goes by:

Jazzmina Willamina
Counter Cruizer
Daddy's girl.

mugsy
07-19-2002, 01:51 PM
Geez, I've lost my mind...I thought I had posted to this thread....ok....everybody ready??? lol:eek: :D :p

Sox: named after my beloved White Sox

Tigger: named after my favorite Pooh character and I didn't want a dog named Charlie after Charles Manson (the moron who had him for a week named him Charlie because he had a black cross on his forehead like Manson does...Stupid people)

Jasmine: named by Mike because the name came to him while he was washing his car

Shawna: named after my school which is Shawnee and Mike didn't want a dog named Shawnee so we settled on Shawna

George: the first words out of Mike's mouth when I brought the little guy in the house was, " Hey George, how ya doin'?"

Serenity: came named, but they chose it because she had found her serenity at the SPCA rather than being shot by the idiot that brought her in. Btw...Serene is NOT the word to describe this dog! lol

Billy: renamed from Debo (I didn't want a dog named after a demon) and again, Mike just started calling him Billy

DeeDee: came named

Vonney: came named

Dudley: came named

Sophie: came named

Daisy Mae: Guess who started calling her that when the guy brought her over.

Jessie: named by default because when we got Dudley, we were supposed to get a dog from this shelter whose name was Jessie, so I went out and got a tag made and when it didn't work out, we had the tag, so decided that the next dog we got, it's name (whether it was male or female) would be Jessie

Max: came named

Sammy: came named

ZZZZZZ....Ok everyone...WAKE UP!!! I'm finally done.

Lauri4
07-23-2002, 09:30 AM
Loki
Very cheeky dog named after the scandinavian god of mischief.

Django
After the western because he roamed around a lot

Saytan
After the sami name for the brave

Redd
07-23-2002, 10:51 AM
I chose Jack's name because I wanted a one or two syllable name because I would be giving him a lot of commands (we're going to start him in agility) and it would make it easier for him to respond (atleast that's what all the books say). I know a lot of cattledogs with good names like Buck, Gus, Jaybo, Fly, Zyp, and Chase. I didn't want to use those names so a friend suggested Jack. I added the -son and Redd because I thought it would sound more formal, a name he could be proud of when people asked his name!

I had my rat, Master Splinter, for a month before I came up with a name for him. When my brothers were younger they used to watch Ninja Turtles all the time, and Master Splinter was the old wise rat in the show/movie. My brothers just kept calling him that so it stuck and it fits him very well because he acts so wise and sophisticated when he rides on my shoulder like all other animals are below him!