PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts for Keegan please.... updated post #53 5-7-07

shais_mom
05-03-2007, 11:23 AM
She has several lumps on her back etc - The vet told me they were fatty tumors not to worry about. There was on on her hip area that came to a head last week and she allowed me to get some bloody infection out of it. My sweetie let me poke and prod on that sore spot. I dropped her off Saturday nite @ my parents - when I picked her up Sunday it was the size of a tennis ball. :( I was able to get some more bloody pus out of it and its stayed that size - I called the Vet Tuesday and took her over today. The vet's first words were "oh my goodness". :( She is spending the nite to have it opened and drained.
She also had a small round dime sized area on the inside of her cheek that after Jess and Raven's scare I kept a close eye on for about a week. The vet looked at it and said it was just a normal variation in the mouth tissue.
She hasn't let the sore spot on her back effect her mood or activity level any. She was very active and bouncy and happy today - and was so excited to go with the vet I don't think she even realized that I wasn't going with her! :eek:
On a positive note - the last time I had her @ the vet in March - she had gained a lot of weight. She was @ 116 lbs! :( I started documenting her food and acitivity level - and she was down to 109 today!!

Thanks everyone!

Rachel
05-03-2007, 11:37 AM
Sometimes these things do get infected and I'm thinking that the vet might prescribe antibiotics. Hannah had one on the hip that we we had *watched* for years and it started to get *bigger* quite rapidly. About 5 months ago, the vet finally agreed that it should be removed. She did real well through the surgery and recovery and now I can't even see a scar, although it looked horrible at first. It was NOT cancerous. So these things can sort out well even though things look ominous.

Cinder & Smoke
05-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Hi God ~

We need Ya for a Konsult Trip down here onna ole Durt Ball ...
Fur da BRD, aka Keegan, Miz Staci's ball fetcher.

Please hop onna Silver Klowd an meet da White Coat -
we need ta get ridda dat lumpie thing on her back.

We'll all be krossin Pawz & Klawz fur a quick fix ... she needs ta be in
shape fur da Findlay Bash this month.

An a {{{God'sHug}}} fur Mom would be nice, too.

THANKS, God!

/s/ the Prayer Pups

Logan
05-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Staci, I"m right here, praying hard that everything will be fine for Keegan. Congratulations on her tremendous weight loss!

Logan

shais_mom
05-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Sometimes these things do get infected and I'm thinking that the vet might prescribe antibiotics. Hannah had one on the hip that we we had *watched* for years and it started to get *bigger* quite rapidly. About 5 months ago, the vet finally agreed that it should be removed. She did real well through the surgery and recovery and now I can't even see a scar, although it looked horrible at first. It was NOT cancerous. So these things can sort out well even though things look ominous.
yup they said that she'll have to go home on antibiotics...

Daisy and Delilah
05-03-2007, 12:15 PM
I'll be keeping Keegan and you in my thoughts and prayers, Staci. Kisses to her from me when she comes home, please. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Great news on the weight loss!! Congrats. I'm working on Delilah myself. :)

Ginger's Mom
05-03-2007, 12:44 PM
Prayers and good thoughts going out for Keegan.
And I too must say congrats Keegan on the weight loss. When you get home and are recovering maybe you can share some of your secrets with Ginger, she could use some. ;)

shais_mom
05-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Just called the vet - they said it was a pretty good sized abscess - (I knew that it was about the size of a tennis ball!) she had to have sutures put in and will come home tomorrow with a drainage tube.
Thanks for the continued thoughts - I bet the cats will be bored tonite while I'm at work without her!

Daisy and Delilah
05-03-2007, 02:18 PM
Sending more prayers out Staci!! GET WELL KEEGAN!!

ramanth
05-03-2007, 03:18 PM
Awwww poor Keegan! I hope she feels better soon. *HUGS*

pitc9
05-03-2007, 03:49 PM
{{hugs}} to you both!
I know you can't wait to have her back home with you!!

jesse_3
05-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Poor baby! Keegan get better!! This is terrible, and I will be praying for the both of you. (((((HUGS)))))

lizbud
05-03-2007, 04:28 PM
Sorry to hear Keegan had this ouchie. Prayers for a quick recovery from
the procedure.Congrats on the weight loss for Keegan. I'll be sure to tell
my Maggie all about it. :)

Vela
05-03-2007, 04:34 PM
Awww poor Keegan. I hope it heals up quickly and she is back to her normal self soon.

Freedom
05-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Keegan, you try and get some rest at the vet's tonight lady. The cats will be SO bored at home without you, and you need to heal up so you cn get them back into shape!

Best wishes for swift healing!

joycenalex
05-03-2007, 04:59 PM
oh staci, i'm so sorry to read this. i know how awful i've felt every time i've had to leave the wonder dog at the vets overnight. i'll be keeping both keegan and you in my prayers.

Cincy'sMom
05-03-2007, 05:03 PM
Lots of thoughts and prayers coming your way!

It is scary as our babies start to get a tad older, the bumps and lumps that are appearing. Cincy has one now on her stomach we are watching, and Sadie had 2 removed last summer. Can't they stay puppies forever??

Roxyluvsme13
05-03-2007, 05:05 PM
(((HUGS))) I hope she feels better!

Giselle
05-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Aww, Keegan. I hope you feel better once you've got all the nasty pus out of that abcess. We'll be thinking about you!

anna_66
05-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Oh Keegan, I'm really sorry you had such a big owie. And it really stinks that you have to spend the night without your kitty girls:( I just hope your home and feeling better soon. (((HUGS))) to you big girl! Oh and congrats on the weight loss!!

Staci you must have been worried sick when you seen it got so big, I know I would have been.

I'll be keeping her in my thoughts and prayers.

Alysser
05-03-2007, 08:22 PM
I'm sorry about your scare with Keegan. I hope she feels better. {{hugs}} to both of you.

cyber-sibes
05-03-2007, 08:54 PM
Poor Keegan, that's gotta hurt. She will probably feel much better now that it's drained. Don't worry about the cats being bored, Keegan will probably make up for lost kitty time when she gets back home! Heal up nice & quick, sweetie!

cmayer31
05-03-2007, 08:55 PM
Poor Keegan :( I'll keep her in my thoughts for sure!

Cinder & Smoke
05-03-2007, 09:45 PM
They said it was a pretty good sized abscess.

She had to have sutures put in and
will come home tomorrow with a drainage tube.

:)
Glad it was a pretty *quick fix*!

Here's hoping the sutures and drain tube will be "out of reach" and not need "protection".

Hey Keegan ~

Leave that Zippur an Drain *ALONE*
No *lickin* - *scratchin* -or- *pawin*!

Hope yo're Feelin Better and ready for Ball Fetchin real soon!!

;)

gini
05-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Aw, poor Keegan - that must hurt! But you have the bestest Mom ever and she won't let anything happen to you.

Just think of the stories that you can tell your kitty sisters when you get home, Keegan. It's o.k. if you exagerate a little - make your stories really good.

Now - Staci - I think I should get on the next plane and have you put me
on Keegan's diet. I could stand to lose a bit myself!

Big hugs to you - I know you miss your girl - but she will be home soon.

K9karen
05-03-2007, 11:47 PM
Get Well Soon Keegan! I hope you can get back to ball fetchin' soon! You're such a sweetie pie. Hugs to you and your beautiful mom.

Sara luvs her Tinky
05-04-2007, 05:56 AM
Hope you are feeling better soon Keegan !!!

Thankfully you will be home soon to play with your mommy and the kitties!

cloverfdx
05-04-2007, 06:46 AM
Ouch feel better soon Keegan :(. Sending lots of healing vibes your way.

Kfamr
05-04-2007, 08:17 AM
The Utah & Florida gang are thinking of you Keegan!

4 Dog Mother
05-04-2007, 08:34 AM
Staci, I am so sorry to hear about Keegan. That would have been so scary to see something so big and sore looking. I am glad she will be all right and soon back to her old self.

Cinder & Smoke
05-04-2007, 12:05 PM
"BRD" is almost home!

Feelin kinda "perky".

Look OUT, Kats!
:D

Cataholic
05-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Positive thoughts coming up the interstate, Keegan and Staci!

shais_mom
05-04-2007, 12:42 PM
yupper the Big Red Tennis Ball retriever is home!
She keep trying to get to the tube but its just far enough away that she can't get to it hopefully she'll figger it out and leave it alone.
The shaved area is rather large 10 inches by 6 inches or so, with 2 incisions. It was simply a large abcess a result of a fatty tumor that had walled itself off and came to a head and caused a large pocket of infection. There was no need to send it to biopsy to see if it was malignant or anything.
She is too be restricted for 7 days - (acck) and is to go back to the vet on Monday to have the tube removed (hopefully) There was some drainage when we got home on her skin.
Thanks everyone for the continued well wishes! :)
I'll get some pics of her when I get home from work or tomorrow -

Cinder & Smoke
05-04-2007, 01:18 PM
The Big Red Tennis Ball retriever is home! :)

She keeps trying to get to the tube but its just far enough away that
she can't get to it; hopefully she'll figger it out and leave it alone.

She is to be restricted for 7 days - (acck) ...

Welcome Home, BRD!
Sounds like your TB Retrieving will put on hold for a few days. :(

Let's hope the BRD doesn't recruit one of the KatSis to try to pull the drain tube! :eek:

Hope The Neighbor can drop in tonight to check on her.
Prayers Continue for a Speedie Recovery.
;)

shais_mom
05-04-2007, 01:20 PM
here are some pics of her incision.
It isn't too gory there isn't blood or anything. :)
message has been sent with the following link to access your shared pictures:

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=9Qas2bFs1UZUA

Randi
05-04-2007, 01:30 PM
I'm glad to hear Keagan is back home, I suppose the worst is over now, right? :) You've been a brave girl and I think a few treats are in order.

Keep getting better, Keagan - and leave that tube alone! ;)

Cinder & Smoke
05-04-2007, 01:37 PM
Here are some pics of her incision.

CORRECTED picture *link* =

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=9Qas2bFs1UZUA (http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=9Qas2bFs1UZUA)

<gasp>
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif

Feel Better Soon, Miz Keegan!!
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/wink.gif

anna_66
05-04-2007, 02:33 PM
UGH :eek: That's a BIG place there girlie girl! I hope it feels better than it looks.
I just know this next week is gonna fly by and you'll be playing with your tennis balls in no time:D
(((HUGS)))

Daisy and Delilah
05-04-2007, 04:53 PM
WOW!!! That is a huge spot there Keegan!! It looks really good though. Staci, you must have about lost it when you saw that. I know I would :(

Take it easy sweetheart and get all better.

lizbud
05-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Poor baby. :( She has to be careful how she sits. :( I'm glad she got
to come home & hope time passes quickly for her. Hope you better soon
Keegan.

cyber-sibes
05-04-2007, 07:48 PM
:eek:
Yeowzers, that a big spot! Keegan, you're still one big beautiful girl! And your fur will start growing back in no time. Might be a bit "breezy" back there for a while, though ;) Heal up quickly, sweetie!

4 Dog Mother
05-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Oh, Keegan, you poor baby! Hope you are feeling better soon!

joycenalex
05-04-2007, 08:36 PM
wowsa!!!!that's pretty big. will your parents (and how is the dad?) keep an eye on her while you're at work?

Cincy'sMom
05-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Aww...poor Keegan! That looks owie!! Hope you are feeling better soon!

shais_mom
05-04-2007, 10:53 PM
wowsa!!!!that's pretty big. will your parents (and how is the dad?) keep an eye on her while you're at work?
they live about a half hour away so its a bit far - I came home from work and she was doing fine :)
Dad's doing fine thanks - he went back to his seasonal job a few weeks ago. :)
part of me wonders if she only messes with it when I'm around - ya know for sympathy ;)

K9karen
05-04-2007, 11:28 PM
Ok..this is a weird thing to say but...all that gorgeous red hair gone... :(

Please smother K's beautiful face with oodles of kisses from me and Mz Klo. Yikes! No fetching and boredom for a whole week!!! Be a good girl Keegan..paws off the tubey!

Cinder & Smoke
05-05-2007, 12:52 AM
Part of me wonders if she only messes with it when I'm around -
ya know, for sympathy ;)

Wouldn't s'prise me ...

Kuz it WORKS, doesn't it?
:p

shais_mom
05-05-2007, 01:36 AM
Wouldn't s'prise me ...

Kuz it WORKS, doesn't it?
:p

like a charm! ;) :D

chocolatepuppy
05-05-2007, 05:26 AM
I hope Keegan heals up quickly. Her pretty hair will grow back in no time. :)

Freedom
05-05-2007, 07:36 AM
Okay, Keegan, time to focus all your attention on healing up and getting rest; don't worry, your attention can go back to cats and tennis balls very soon.

And summer is on its way - what better time to have a little cooling area? You'll have that fur growing back by the Autumn when you need it again.

Cinder & Smoke
05-06-2007, 12:11 AM
:confused:

Where's our daily BRD Report?

HEY Keegan ~

How's ya Feelin?
Is that drain tube gonna make it all the way to Monday?

Feel Better, Kiddo!!
;)

shais_mom
05-06-2007, 12:34 AM
well Mom's been busy all day and just had time to plop in front of the box!
There is a bit of infection seeping from the incisions but not a lot.
She's eating, peeing, pooping, attempting to run and visit the neighbors but has been leashed.
She really can't get to it no matter how hard she tries - I haven't let her roll (when I am around anyway) so the tube is still in good place.
:)

shais_mom
05-07-2007, 10:58 AM
We went to the vet today to have the drain taken out. The vet is pleased with the way it looks and is healing. So she doesn't need to go back until she gets the stitches out next Friday. :)

cyber-sibes
05-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Good girl, Keegan! You're doing a good job leaving things alone, keep it up. Great news, Staci!

Cinder & Smoke
05-07-2007, 11:33 AM
The vet is pleased with the way it looks and is healing. :)

Bet it feels a LOT better without the "extra part" attached!

Has the BRD received proper "rewards" for not tearing up the repair site?

Keep being a GOOD Girl, Keegan!
;)

Daisy and Delilah
05-07-2007, 11:33 AM
That's a good girl!! Get better sweetie!! :D

Rachel
05-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Wow :eek: Were those two drains for the same nodule? That thing must have been big! Did you take a *before* picture? Good to hear that all is proceeding as it should. And K, don't worry, that beautiful red fur will grow back in now time.

shais_mom
05-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Wow :eek: Were those two drains for the same nodule? That thing must have been big! Did you take a *before* picture? Good to hear that all is proceeding as it should. And K, don't worry, that beautiful red fur will grow back in now time.
no it was just one long drain... :)
well I didn't take any pics BEFORE the original procedure.
but here are a couple after the tube was removed, I just took them....

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=9Qas2bFs1UZcg

Ginger's Mom
05-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Glad to hear that she got such a good report from the doctor, and that she is being such a good girl about not bothering the spot. Good girl Keegan, lots of scritches for you.

K9soul
05-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Aww poor Keegan! Bless her heart. I hope she's feeling better soon. Has she had her thyroid checked lately? It's possible she could need an increase in her meds. Give her lots of hugs and kisses for me. Tommy sends golden kisses to his fellow redhead :D

lizbud
05-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Great news. :) It looks like the site is drying up just fine. much better.
Hey pretty girl Keegan. :)

Freedom
05-07-2007, 04:39 PM
What a wonderful report! Hooray, Keegan!

Cincy'sMom
05-07-2007, 06:11 PM
Aww Keegan!!! That still looks owie!! You're gonna be all better for the big Memorial Day Bash though, right?

cassiesmom
05-07-2007, 07:14 PM
Keegan, I hope you feel MUCH better with the infection all out of that spot. I think it looks better already from the photos with the drains to the one without. I still think you are a beautiful redhead girl.

Reachoutrescue
05-07-2007, 07:54 PM
Keegan, I hope you are feeling better now. I am sorry I missed this post, but I am glad you are healing nicely. Good luck and feel better soon.

ramanth
05-07-2007, 08:16 PM
Great news! :D

petslover
05-07-2007, 09:12 PM
Hey sorry I haven't seen this thread yet. I really hope Keegan gets to feeling better.

Roxyluvsme13
05-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Way to go, Keegan! :D

anna_66
05-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Hey Red! Good to see that your tubes are out now, hope your feeling better!

Belly rubs to you big girl :D

Logan
05-09-2007, 08:22 AM
I'm so glad you are doing better, Keegan!!!!! :) We have been praying for you (and your mom). :) I hope you will soon be chasing tennis balls again!

cloverfdx
05-09-2007, 08:52 AM
Continued good thoughts for Miss Keegan on the way :).

pitc9
05-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Glad to hear the tube is out and things are looking great!!