PDA

View Full Version : Chihuahua baby-post 37

WELOVESPUPPIES
05-03-2007, 07:05 AM
I need to let off a little steam so please bear with me...I have been wanting to get a third dog for what seems like forever but my husband says two dogs are enough(big dogs). That's fine, he is intitled to his opinion, but what makes him think that he gets the final say. I mean we are a partnership and should make decisions together but the moment it is brought up he is shaking his head no which means he is not changing his mind, there is no discussion just reasons why we ARE NOT GETTING ANOTHER DOG. The part that frustrates me the most are the excuses that I get:
1. We already have two dogs--sorry but I do not see his point.
2. That is more dog food that we have to buy-okay I pay for this.
3. He will need to go to the vet-okay, I am the one who takes off work and
takes the babies to the vet and I also pay for it myself.
4. He will need a dog bed-okay yet I again I supply those things.
5. He will need toys-me again.
He makes it sound like these are all things he is responsible for but he is not. We have seperate accounts by the way for those who are thinking that funds are shared, I mean they are but we have our own monies for stuff we want, anyway off topic. I love animals and at one point in my life I would probably have owned Noah's Ark but I have come to the realization as I have gotten older that you have to have time and monies to care for "Noah's Ark". I am just asking for a third dog. He keeps saying when one of the others goes(which I dread to think of and hope is many years from now) then we can get another dog but my heart tells me that the excuse then will be that the kids are almost completely grown and we will strap ourselves to staying home and caring for another dog when we could just come and go as we please. This is who I am, an animal lover and sometimes I guess I feel he is trying to change that in me, which of course causes me to get my panties in a wad and get defensive. I do not want to change his mind because I do not want to possilbly hear later....see I told two was enough(for whatever reason). I work out of the house so I am home all day long, it is not like I do not have time and will be bringing a new puppy home to spend hours a day by itself. I guess I will just have to wait and see...I needed to vent and sorry for making a seperate thread for this but somehow I had to get this off my chest...

Seravieve
05-03-2007, 07:12 AM
Lol.. I bet my partner said all those things too when I said no to the 3rd dog idea.. It only took about 7 months of nagging and then just happening to find a bindled boxer (my fav!) and well lookie there.. we have a 3rd dog. LOL.

Moral of my story? Find a dog he likes.. see how it does with your other two.. and before you know it.. You'll have 3! =)

coco-bean
05-03-2007, 08:20 AM
my boyfriend asked me those same exact things and my reply was...
"nothing is going to change for me, im still going to...
*get up and let them out to potty EVERY MORNING
*feed the at the same time
*take them to the park TOGETHER as usual
*go to the vet practically the same amount as we do now(since someone is always getting hurt)
*I have enough love to give each and every one of them:D
*they each need food so it's no different feeding 3 verses 4(in my case)
bottom line...it's just another day for me...NOTHING NEW!!!
finally he told me i could...after i told him either way, im getting this puppy!
lol, i know in a marriage it's not quite like that, but dating..i think i can slip by doing this a time and again ;)
i am totally with you on this one!
Best of luck, i hope you get another one to love!

Freedom
05-03-2007, 08:25 AM
Big dogs mean big poops. :D I've heard that one.

Maybe he wants a small dog?? :rolleyes:

WELOVESPUPPIES
05-03-2007, 08:38 AM
Big dogs mean big poops. :D I've heard that one.

Maybe he wants a small dog?? :rolleyes:

LOL....yep that is true BIG POOPS. But I am the one who wants a small dog, I would like a Chihuahua but prior to deciding on that breed I was pretty much open to any dog as I love them all and that did not fly either. I tried joking and telling him I would name it Hardley, hardley a dog :D But he just laughed and shook his head. I told him I would even by it a Harley Dog Jacket(as we own a Harley), still just the head shake. I get the excuse that what happens when someone comes to the door and the big dogs go charging, I said I guess the little booger will just have to learn to move or get run over :D Not that I would allow that but it is just one excuse after another:o I even told him I had a dream the other night that I was getting a chihuahua and ended up putting it back. He told me Oh...I don't mind if you buy one in your dreams :mad:

WELOVESPUPPIES
05-03-2007, 08:42 AM
i am totally with you on this one!
Best of luck, i hope you get another one to love!

me too...I have plenty of LOVE, maybe that is what he is afraid of...I hear Chihuahuas are like potato chips, you can't have just one :D ;)

Taz_Zoee
05-03-2007, 09:03 AM
I feel your pain and frustration. I'd love to get another dog. But since he works from home and would have to deal with them, I really need his support. So that's why Zoee is an only dog. :(
Good Luck! I hope you can "talk" him into it. :D

Vela
05-03-2007, 09:07 AM
You sound just like me 3 years ago, when I wanted to get another puppy for my now 4 year old Boxer, Cracker. I dealt with it all, but he still said no. He gave me all the same reasons you gave as well. Persistence pays off, and letting him know how truly important it was to me in a serious conversation helped too. If you notice in my signature, we recently got our third Boxer, Soda. She is 13 weeks this upcoming Suday. He truly loves her too, which I wasn't sure he would. Don't despair and have a sit down serious talk with him about why it's something you need in your life. Maybe he will listen?

BTW we don't have lots of big poops, I feed raw so they are pretty small and turn to dust by themselves LOL (solved one of the problems!)

WELOVESPUPPIES
05-03-2007, 09:35 AM
I feel your pain and frustration. I'd love to get another dog. But since he works from home and would have to deal with them, I really need his support. So that's why Zoee is an only dog. :(
Good Luck! I hope you can "talk" him into it. :D

Poor Zoee....see I am the one that works from home--shouldn't I be the main decision maker :D Yeah yeah I known 50/50 :p

WELOVESPUPPIES
05-03-2007, 09:39 AM
You sound just like me 3 years ago, when I wanted to get another puppy for my now 4 year old Boxer, Cracker. I dealt with it all, but he still said no. He gave me all the same reasons you gave as well. Persistence pays off, and letting him know how truly important it was to me in a serious conversation helped too. If you notice in my signature, we recently got our third Boxer, Soda. She is 13 weeks this upcoming Suday. He truly loves her too, which I wasn't sure he would. Don't despair and have a sit down serious talk with him about why it's something you need in your life. Maybe he will listen?

BTW we don't have lots of big poops, I feed raw so they are pretty small and turn to dust by themselves LOL (solved one of the problems!)

That's what we have now two boxers...I think they would love a little brother :) See these are my babies below...gotta love'em

Sevaede
05-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Indeed, persistence does pay off. :D

Beautiful pooches! :D

My Chi is a mischievous little girl but she is so full of love and spunk. I can't imagine my life without her!

Vela
05-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Wow they are gorgeous! I don't usually meet anyone who has a white boxer as well, once in a while. Don't give up though. I work from home as well and do all of the dog care, vet visits, etc., just the same as you, and my husband was brought up to be a dog hater by his mother...so if I can get one I'm sure you can too! Don't give up hope, it can happen. I would love to see another baby around here!

Sophist
05-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Beautiful dogs!

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. By all means, keep the discussion going. Let him know why you want one and the reasons you think it is right for your family.

Just make very, very, VERY sure that you have actually won him over and not just worn him down before you bring another dog home. Bringing home a dog that even one person in the house resents or doesn't want isn't fair to the dog, or good for the family as a whole.

Again, your dogs look beautiful, and I am sure you would only act with the best interest of all the furkids in mind. Just be careful not to bulldoze hubby without really considering his feelings, but also ask him to level with you some more. Talk to him about his financial concerns, but also make sure he knows thta you feel like he is not really being sensible about it, and it upsets you that his reaction is to just put his foot down and forbid you to do it before it has really been talked about.

And lastly, I agree that his reasons for not getting one don't sound great, but at the same time, make sure you are thinking carefully and giving him better reasons than "I want one!" Maybe make a list of the reasons you think another dog would be right for your family, and he needs to at least hear you out on the issue.

Good luck!

WELOVESPUPPIES
05-03-2007, 02:16 PM
Thanks for all the compliments on my babies Duke and Champ. I appreciate all the encouragement and advice. Trust me I don't back down easy but I do not want to be a nag either.

Sophist...I definately agree with everything you are saying. I do not want my hubby to feel plowed over and just give me my way. There are five of us in the household, we have three children, and he is the only one not on board. I understand his side too it just aggravates me that he put his foot down and made me feel like that was that end of discussion. I am an adult too and I guess that kind of made me feel like he was being a father rather than a husband. I will take things slow because I do not want grief of I told you so every day for the rest of my life. So I will just take it one day at a time. I would never just go out and get a puppy and hope that the pup wins him over...I could not and would not do that to the puppy who had no choice in the matter. I love animals whole heartedly and will always put them first.

Again, thanks to everyone...and when the day comes you will all be the first to know!!(outside of family of course) :D

Daisy and Delilah
05-03-2007, 02:16 PM
me too...I have plenty of LOVE, maybe that is what he is afraid of...I hear Chihuahuas are like potato chips, you can't have just one :D ;)

I agree!!!! :D :D :D As I always say, to know a Chihuahua is to love a Chihuahua!! Two or more are even better :) Good luck! I hope you win-I love the name Hardley :D I always laugh at Daisy when she tries to act like a "real" dog. :D

critter crazy
05-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Well since I am home all day, and I take care of all my animals, as well as pay for them, Hubby gets no say! He he he he! He might think he does, but he has come to realize no matter what he says, I am my own person, and do what I wish. Animals are my life. If I want another dog, I just go get one. once in a great while I might ask him what he thinks, but usually I dont listen to his answer. the way we look at it, he collects cars, I collect animals. works out well for us!:D

WELOVESPUPPIES
05-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Well I thought I had him. There was an advertizement on PETFINDER for chihuahua puppies. He actually told me that I could call, I thought I was going to faint. I called the lady got the information and called him back. He was fine until he heard the adoption fee was $400 and that included nothing, no shots, no spay and neuter, nothing. Well that idea just went right out the window. I said why did you let me call then...he said well I thought they would be a lot cheaper since they were from a rescue. I said how much cheaper :confused: Free :eek: Oh well. At least now I must have him thinking or he would not have given the okay :D

buttercup132
05-04-2007, 01:43 PM
Well at least he's going for the idea. Maybe look in classifieds for free dogs needing homes that are already fixed and up to date on shots. So many stupid people give their dog away so it shouldn't be that hard to find one.

WELOVESPUPPIES
05-04-2007, 01:59 PM
Well at least he's going for the idea. Maybe look in classifieds for free dogs needing homes that are already fixed and up to date on shots. So many stupid people give their dog away so it shouldn't be that hard to find one.

Believe me I am always looking in the paper :D Problem being I live in Florida and with a lot of elderly here the small dogs go really really fast. It is not easy to find a mixed breed for free here either, every one is out to make a buck on the heinz 57. Don't get me wrong mutts make wonderful pets...just sickens me that these are people out there just creatining "designer dogs". And being that I am breed specific it limits me even more but I will continued to look, I would love to find what I was looking for in a pet that someone was just getting rid of, that would be a bonus for us finanacially and for the dog to get a wonderful loving home instead of being dumped somewhere or at a pound. :)

Daisy and Delilah
05-04-2007, 04:57 PM
One good thing about living in Florida is that we have alot of elderly people that can't care for their dogs anymore. That's how I got Delilah(she was only $200 and all set). If you find the right person to talk to, you should be able to tap into the mother lode of rescues. Good luck. Chis are out there, you just have to know where to look. :)

WELOVESPUPPIES
05-22-2007, 11:59 AM
OMGosh is pretty much all I can say. I am getting a puppy for my Bday!!! :D My husband really had already gotten him on hold a couple of weeks ago, of course I thought the puppy I wanted was already sold but kept my hubby up to date on all the new pics of him. :D Little did I know I was the one getting him. The breeder and my husband were going to suprise me on my Bday this Thursday but because he only weighs 1 pound the vet wants to wait another week before giving him his shots so he can gain a little more. He is a tri colored chocolate blue chihuahua!!! He is just so darn cute. If I get pics sent to me then I will post them of course, especially for all you chihuahua lovers out there. I was so happy when he told me I literally cried!! I just wanted to share my joy!! :D :D :D :D

Ginger's Mom
05-22-2007, 12:12 PM
Congrats, can't wait for pictures. :) Have you thought about a name yet?

WELOVESPUPPIES
05-22-2007, 12:29 PM
Well his mom's name is Mini, dad is Mickey and the funny thing is that he has the shape of mickeys head on his side/back so I was thinking something to do with Disney...not quite sure yet. I do not know if I need to carry the parents kennel name or not. I actually thought of something a long the lines of Waltt Diznee's Lil' Miracle(Miracle is what they call him now) or some other play on the spelling, I don't know. Maybe call him Waltt? I actually joked before about naming him Hardley, hardley a dog :D I just think it is cute. :p I guess I will actually have to observe him and see what he looks like to me personality wise and then something will just stick. I am open to any suggestions though!

critter crazy
05-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Congrats!!! I am so excited for you!!!

WELOVESPUPPIES
05-23-2007, 08:20 AM
I have emailed the lady that my baby is coming from. I have asked her to email me a couple of pictures so that I can show all of you. I hope to have them this evening, latest tomorrow morning, she works so she is not on until late in the evening but I will do my best to get them on there today :D I am so excited

WELOVESPUPPIES
05-23-2007, 08:26 AM
Never mind....here they are!!!! Tell me what you think, is he a cutie or what!!! Any name suggestions are appreciated. My hubby and I are Harley riders so he wants something cool, I still like the name Hardley, but ??

Pawsitive Thinking
05-23-2007, 08:32 AM
What a cutie pie!!!!

I had the opposite problem with my hubby and daughter - they wanted the dog and I was against it. Was persuaded that it would make very little difference to me as they would be looking after it and guess what.............................................. ..................within 1 day of little Tobey's arrival I was the one coming home for work to walk him :D

Guess who funds their toys, treats, vet treatments etc, etc and who bought Archie ;)

Taz_Zoee
05-23-2007, 09:29 AM
OMG!! How adorable!!!
What kind of Harley('s) do you guys have? We have a Road King Classic. Some ideas of names: King, Fat Boy (:p), Heri (pronounced Harry, for Heritage Softail), Sport (for Sportster). I can't seem to think of any more Harleys, if I was home I could look at my calendar. Or you could just do Harley, or HD. I don't know. I love names, but am very indecisive. :cool:

WELOVESPUPPIES
05-23-2007, 09:47 AM
We have a 06 Street Glide. I would name him Harley but we have friends that had a puppy by that name who was killed by some dogs down the street, don't want to bring up bad memories for them. :( We also have a friend with a dog named Cruiser. I will do some Harley searching myself and see if I can come up with something. I usually like the off the wall names but you would never know that because our other dogs are Duke and Champ, how much more common can you get :D Thanks for the suggestions and if you think of anymore let me know.

Husky_mom
05-23-2007, 11:16 AM
were you trying to produce a massive heart meltdown with those cutie pics??!!....... you have surely accomplished it!! :D

what adorable baby!!...... I want him!! he´s super cute to the square.....

Ginger's Mom
05-23-2007, 12:41 PM
Oh he is adorable. :) I am sure this will make Terry feel better when she gets home. :)

Twisterdog
05-23-2007, 06:52 PM
OMG, that puppy does not even look real! How cute!!!

I'm lucky, I suppose, my husband loves dogs. We went to a garage sale this weekend and they had JRT puppies. Adorable puppies ... but sleazy BYBs. But that's another story. :mad: Anyway, my husband is saying, "Let's get one. Let's take two if you can't decide. Take the mom, too, poor thing." And I'm saying, "Are you nuts? We have seven dogs already!" LOL

chocolatepuppy
05-23-2007, 10:22 PM
Oh my goodness what a cutie! :D

Taz_Zoee
05-24-2007, 12:21 AM
I thought of another name!!! It's not "Harley" related...but it is motorcycle related.
Chopper
:D
Have you decided on a name yet? I was trying to think of a name for the Street Glide in my other post, but couldn't think of anything. Glider sounds kinda silly.

WELOVESPUPPIES
05-24-2007, 05:46 AM
I like Chopper...that's different too. ;) I have not really given it to much thought. I am trying to stay focused on other things because I will drive myself nuts and drag this next week out forever if I keep thinking about him :D But he is just so darn cute I am having a hard time staying focused!! Thanks for the suggestion, I will definately consider Chopper--I like it. :)

WELOVESPUPPIES
05-27-2007, 05:06 PM
I got to go see my little boy today. This was my first time seeing him in person. He will be 9 weeks old on Tuesday and weighs just over 1 pound. Here is a new picture attached of me holding him. He literally fits in one hand!! I just love him to death. I hope that he comes home next weekend, all depends on if vet feels safe giving him his shots on Tuesday. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Okay right now it will not let me put the photo on....I will try again later-Sorry :D

WELOVESPUPPIES
05-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Okay, finally I had another opportunity to try again. I hope that everyone enjoys his pics and had a wonderful Memorial Day. The other puppy is his sister. That is me in the pictures with him.

Freedom
05-28-2007, 07:01 PM
Oh my, what a cutie pie!!! How adorable!

If he is just over one pound at 9 weeks, what in heavens name did those two weigh at birth? I know chi's are small but geesh!!!!

You won't need much of a side car for him! :D

WELOVESPUPPIES
05-29-2007, 05:56 AM
He was only 1.5 ounces at birth. His sister I think was 2 or 2.5 ounces, not sure. They were born a few days premature so they were exceptionally tiny. He is full of spunk though and you would think he was a "BIG" dog :) I won't need a side car just a pocket :D

Daisy and Delilah
05-29-2007, 07:22 AM
OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!! Somebody help me!!!!! I'm in love!! Congratulations!! If you need any babysitting help, I'll PM my address and phone number :) :) :) :)

p.s. Joyce, you know me well. I am ectstatic this morning after seeing these pics. :D

Taz_Zoee
05-29-2007, 09:45 AM
OH my goodness!! He is so friggin' adorable!!! Have you decided on a name yet? I think he looks like a Chopper. :D :D

Pawsitive Thinking
05-29-2007, 09:50 AM
OMG, that puppy does not even look real! How cute!!!

I'm lucky, I suppose, my husband loves dogs. We went to a garage sale this weekend and they had JRT puppies. Adorable puppies ... but sleazy BYBs. But that's another story. :mad: Anyway, my husband is saying, "Let's get one. Let's take two if you can't decide. Take the mom, too, poor thing." And I'm saying, "Are you nuts? We have seven dogs already!" LOL

Your husband sounds pretty fab to me!

critter crazy
05-29-2007, 09:56 AM
Awwww....what a cutie patootie!!!:eek:

I'm lucky, I suppose, my husband loves dogs. We went to a garage sale this weekend and they had JRT puppies. Adorable puppies ... but sleazy BYBs. But that's another story. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/mad.gif Anyway, my husband is saying, "Let's get one. Let's take two if you can't decide. Take the mom, too, poor thing." And I'm saying, "Are you nuts? We have seven dogs already!" LOL
Can I have your Husband??? :D

WELOVESPUPPIES
05-29-2007, 10:07 AM
OH my goodness!! He is so friggin' adorable!!! Have you decided on a name yet? I think he looks like a Chopper. :D :D

Actually Chopper is at the top of the list. My husband really liked it when I told him. I will definately let you know what the final decision is...you guys will probably be tired of seeing and hearing about him but expect lots of pics for the first few weeks when he comes home---it will be like a new baby coming home, I will need pics of all his firsts :D I promise I will not send a pic of his first poop :D :D

Vela
05-29-2007, 10:14 AM
LOL ! Yes I don't want to see his first poop, but he's ADORABLE. I'm glad you finally get your "baby". Can't wait to watch him grow up!