PDA

View Full Version : Menu Foods expands recall 5/2!

Prairie Purrs
05-02-2007, 10:41 PM
Yes, folks, its another pet food recall expansion. This time the addition to the recall list is due to "cross-contamination" at Menu Foods' facilities.

It's a long list. :mad: Please check out Itchmo. (http://www.itchmo.com/)

kt_luvs_kitties
05-02-2007, 11:27 PM
Thank you for the newest update. Thank God I use none of the foods listed.

smokey the elder
05-03-2007, 09:06 AM
I notice that Friskies and Fancy Feast aren't on there so far (phew!) Who knew it was the "quality" (read: high priced) products that are most prominent in the recall. So much for you get what you pay for. :(

Craftlady
05-03-2007, 09:24 AM
Ok one thing that is NOT mentioned when these new itmes supposedly hit the shelves. That list is HUGH and needs to be way more specific than "take the stuff off the shelf".

This is starting to sound like INDUCING PANIC from that particular website Itchom), In my opinion. Wonder if they have stock in pet food???????

Menu Foods Statement on their website
Menu estimates that this additional recall represents less than 5% of the products that have already been recalled or withdrawn.

Reachoutrescue
05-03-2007, 09:29 AM
This is just insane. When will it end?

catmandu
05-03-2007, 09:40 AM
PETSMART IN CATADA HAS A PROMOTION ON THE SCIENCE DIET SAVOURY CUTS , 16 CANS FOR THE PRICE OF 12.
NOW THATS DOWN THE DRAIN!
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Prairie Purrs
05-03-2007, 11:08 AM
Ok one thing that is NOT mentioned when these new itmes supposedly hit the shelves. That list is HUGH and needs to be way more specific than "take the stuff off the shelf".

This is starting to sound like INDUCING PANIC from that particular website Itchom), In my opinion. Wonder if they have stock in pet food???????

Menu Foods Statement on their website
Menu estimates that this additional recall represents less than 5% of the products that have already been recalled or withdrawn.

Nobody can say when the recalled items "hit the shelves," because that will vary from store to store, depending on what each store has in its inventory. Itchmo links to the Menu Foods press release, which includes the range of "sell by" dates that are affected.

Craftlady
05-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Nobody can say when the recalled items "hit the shelves," because that will vary from store to store, depending on what each store has in its inventory. Itchmo links to the Menu Foods press release, which includes the range of "sell by" dates that are affected.

Itchmo links to press releases, that doesnt take allot of knowledge or effort.
I'm not paying attention to Itchmo, I have the FDA site booked marked to get my information.

Prairie Purrs
05-03-2007, 11:24 AM
Private bloggers have actually been quicker to post current information than the FDA has been. The current recall expansion was listed on Itchmo and a couple of other sites last night and didn't appear on the FDA site until this morning. But if people object to my efforts to keep people updated on this serious and ongoing situation, I'll stop posting here about it.

fragrancehound
05-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Private bloggers have actually been quicker to post current information than the FDA has been. The current recall expansion was listed on Itchmo and a couple of other sites last night and didn't appear on the FDA site until this morning. But if people object to my efforts to keep people updated on this serious and ongoing situation, I'll stop posting here about it.

I think it is important that people continue to post about these recalls since the FDA is not on top of things as quickly as other sources of information. Quite frankly web sites like Itchmo and other pet related blogs are much quicker to post about food recalls and the latest info regarding our pet's safety.

Prairie Purrs
05-03-2007, 01:30 PM
I think it is important that people continue to post about these recalls since the FDA is not on top of things as quickly as other sources of information. Quite frankly web sites like Itchmo and other pet related blogs are much quicker to post about food recalls and the latest info regarding our pet's safety.

I agree--but with a sick cat (who ate recalled food) and other turmoil going on in my life, I'm not going to keep posting updates if I'm going to catch grief over it.

Craftlady
05-03-2007, 01:59 PM
I agree--but with a sick cat (who ate recalled food) and other turmoil going on in my life, I'm not going to keep posting updates if I'm going to catch grief over it.

Sorry if you feel I'm catching you grief for posting updates. It's not my main intention to cause "grief" You can keep people updated as you see fit.
I'm sorry your animal(s) have been effected by the tanted food.

I'm just expressing my thoughts about Itchmo and how they think they are putting themselves out there as the authority when it comes to keeping track of things in the pet food world.

I just dont happen to agree on how they (Itchmo) reports things on their site.

Logan
05-03-2007, 02:06 PM
It seems to me that Itchmo is like so many others, getting the most recent information out in a timely manner, without passing judgement on anyone or anything. Have you noticed something different from them, Craftlady? I am not in panic mode because none of my pets have eaten anything that has been listed, so far, but I would prefer to at least have the information available to me quickly so I could make a necessary change if it came to that. I subscribed to Itchmo because they seemed to be the most attentive to updating as soon as new news breaks. The FDA website does NOT send notifications that I know of (I would have subscribed if they did).

Craftlady
05-03-2007, 02:21 PM
It seems to me that Itchmo is like so many others, getting the most recent information out in a timely manner, without passing judgement on anyone or anything. Have you noticed something different from them, Craftlady?

Nothing different. I dont care for their site, plan and simple :)
I'll get my information from other sources.
I'm done commenting :)

Randi
05-03-2007, 03:28 PM
Thanks for posting about this important subject, Cats in Denver. There really seem to be a lot of pet food recalled. :eek: I do find the site a little confusing though. From what I can read, 6 different dry cat foods has been recalled, it that correct?

I used to feed Fister Hills S/D with half Hills W/D, but he was fed up with it, so last month, I changed to Royal Canin Vetenary Diet S/O. My vet said that was OK. I'm planning to go back to S/D and W/D because he's slimming down.

However, I see that it contains corn gluten and corn wheat, but it doesn't say where it comes from. So I'm a bit confused. :confused:

Logan
05-03-2007, 03:29 PM
There is no reason to quit commenting. I have been checking the FDA website daily, too. I just like it that Itchmo is sending me updated emails. I look to the additions to the recall list and that is it.

If there is another agenda with Itchmo, I am too naive to even know about it. I have also signed up with several other sites, but they don't seem to update as often.

Best intentions. I am only concerned about the welfare of my pets and of course, all of yours, too.

Logan

Prairie Purrs
05-03-2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks for posting about this important subject, Cats in Denver. There really seem to be a lot of pet food recalled. :eek: I do find the site a little confusing though. From what I can read, 6 different dry cat foods has been recalled, it that correct?

I used to feed Fister Hills S/D with half Hills W/D, but he was fed up with it, so last month, I changed to Royal Canin Vetenary Diet S/O. My vet said that was OK. I'm planning to go back to S/D and W/D because he's slimming down.

However, I see that it contains corn gluten and corn wheat, but it doesn't say where it comes from. So I'm a bit confused. :confused:

We're all more than a bit confused, mainly because the recall list keeps expanding and the relevant information comes out only a little bit at a time. It's up to the companies to decide what to recall. And some of them have said one day that they aren't affected, only to recall products the next day.

Here's a site that lists a huge number of pet food companies along with information provided by the companies about their foods. For companies that have had foods recalled, there's a link to the company website so you can determine exactly which foods are affected: The Pet Food List. (http://www.thepetfoodlist.com/index.htm)

catmandu
05-03-2007, 04:11 PM
I am just hoping that the President Choice Turkey and Giblets doesnt show up as thats about the Found Cats favorire food, next to Sheba which is thier favorite, no doubt about it.
But its just too pricey, darned it.

Pawla
05-09-2007, 11:24 AM
My cat died because of this carelessness! :mad: Anyone with updates on recentley recalled items keep them coming. Better to be safe than sorry!!!

Prairie Purrs
05-09-2007, 11:49 AM
My cat died because of this carelessness! :mad: Anyone with updates on recentley recalled items keep them coming. Better to be safe than sorry!!!

I am so sorry for your loss.