PDA

View Full Version : Vacuums

slleipnir
05-02-2007, 10:07 PM
What kind of vacuum do you use? Do you like it?

I recently bought a cheap ($90) vacuum. I think it's a Eureka bagless. It's garbage. The place where the dirt goes into the container always clogs up so I'm constantly taking it out and pushing the dirt down into the container. It's SO annoying. Also, whenever I take the container out to dump the dust in it goes *poof* it's pretty messy. I'm not happy with it at all. And I haven't had it long at all.

Any suggestions? I don't think I can afford a new one right now but I'm considering saving for a real nice one.

I have 4 pets so there is always lots of fur, so I need a heavy duty one I guess. I would prefer bagless unless they're all crappy like mine and just make more mess dumping it then it does any good....

PS: Vacuuming is my LEAST fav chore....!

dukedogsmom
05-02-2007, 10:19 PM
This is a good topic! I was going to make one myself. All we have is the Rainbow right now. It's a great one but very complicated to use all the time. I want the Dyson Pet one and my mom wants an Orek. So, I'll be interested to see what everyone says, too.

Marigold2
05-02-2007, 10:35 PM
I bought one a couple of months ago. I like it because the canister part detaches and it becomes a canister when before it was an upright. It has a long hose, powerful motor and fits well under furniture. It is a Bissell Lift-Off the color is red. They make a green and a blue one, each is a little bit different. I think the blue one comes with a special attachement for pet hair. I got it at Home Depot it was $169.00 but I had a 20% off coupon to Linens and Things and Home Depot honored that coupon. So I paid less. It also has a Turbo Brush which attaches to the hose and is wonderful for steps, cars, curtains, furniture. Because the canister part is removeable it is super easy to carry around and clean the car. I love it. :p :D

Taz_Zoee
05-02-2007, 10:46 PM
I have a Hoover and I like it. I had a crappy Eureka and had the same problem, with it clogging. I've never had that problem with a Hoover. (unless the bad doesn't get emptied:p)
My ex-neighbor has a Dyson and she loves it. The only thing I heard about those is that if it breaks - any old vacuum repair shop can't fix it. And I think it's pretty expensive to fix.

slleipnir
05-02-2007, 10:52 PM
I'm trying to get my dad to buy 1/2 and I buy the other half. He won't. He says the one we have is fine (which I bought btw) he says it's my pets fur so it's my problem...which I don't think is right as even if there were no pets we'd still need to vacuum it and I promise it wouldn't be him! I told him to just TRY vacuuming where I do then he'd understand. He won't of course. I just don't have money for a good one right now. It's SO annoying using a crappy one. I don't see why he won't. I could see if I said I want a TV. Buy half for me. But I mean i'm using it for his benefit as well.

cassiesmom
05-02-2007, 11:19 PM
I've got a Eureka vacuum cleaner that I am not very fond of. It's been temperamental since the day I got it. Plus, it's extremely noisy. My sister had a canister vacuum that she ran down into the ground. When it finally stopped working, she replaced it with a Kenmore canister vacuum from Sears. I used it on Easter - I was impressed! It's cumbersome, yes, but not too noisy; and it really snarfs up the crumbs and grit. (Or, as my teenage niece says: It sucks, in a good way.) I actually like vacuuming because it's immediate gratification - the carpet looks better right away! Cassie hates it, though.

K9karen
05-03-2007, 12:09 AM
When I got Cody, I bought an Oreck..you can pay on time, like a car payment. It was an upright, not a cannister so getting under stuff and in corners was difficult, though it did an awesome cleaning job. It also came with a small lightweight cannister, but it was extra work, using 2 different vacuums.

When I got Logan I splurged on an Electrolux cannister. It was worth every penny. It cleans so well, my rugs look like new each time I use it. If I recall correctly, lots of people on PT swear by Dyson too.

krazyaboutkatz
05-03-2007, 12:11 AM
I have a Dyson DC15 Animal "The Ball" and I love it.:) It's fairly quiet and never gets clogged. It's also the most powereful vacuum cleaner that I've ever owned. I know that they're expensive but I think that they're well it.:)

pitc9
05-03-2007, 08:22 AM
I have the Dyson Animal and I'll never own another type of Vacuum.

With the fur in my house... ugh... it keeps up GREAT!!!
Expensive yes... but 100% worth every penny!!
(psst... you can buy refurbished ones on Ebay that are quite a bit cheaper)

Pam
05-03-2007, 08:25 AM
[/SIZE]

Me too! I thought long and hard about buying it because it was so expensive. I can tell you now that I am not sorry. It is just awesome.

anna_66
05-03-2007, 08:54 AM

With the fur in my house... ugh... it keeps up GREAT!!
Same here! I LOVE my Dyson!!!

Argranade
05-03-2007, 09:01 AM
I don't know our brands, the first was a dirt devel but I destroyed it. :o

My mom got a new vacum it's realy small and easy to move around.

I use it ever day or second day .. won't be long before it goes *BOOM* Reason for that: I clean up my bird cages and vacum up everything in my sight, I try to avoid the hay peices or spilt water areas but of course I usualy end up clogging the vacum ... LOL. The things I have vacumed up are .... bird feathers, hair, socks, shirts, undies LOL, toys, seeds, money ect .....

Yes I LOVE to use the vacum but I think I need a licence!

caseysmom
05-03-2007, 09:06 AM
I have a kirby and I do love it and the shampooing attachment.

Vela
05-03-2007, 09:30 AM
I have a Dyson myself and wouldn't want any other vacuum, have tried many.

Randi
05-03-2007, 09:35 AM
I really liked my Electrolux, but they don't make the narrow ones I had anymore. I have an old Miele now, but need a new one, and I will definately go for a Miele again. My sister got one last year, I tried it and it's great!

Check out their site! miele.com

slleipnir
05-03-2007, 10:22 AM
I want a dyson too. They're like $500 though. I'm planning a trip so I can't really afford one...which is why I was hoping my dad would go halfs :rolleyes: $250 is much better than $500 lol. Is the Dyson animal any different from the regular Dyson? I saw one in the store but I don' know if it was "animal" or not.It looks really spiffy though...

Rachel
05-03-2007, 11:47 AM
I really liked my Electrolux, but they don't make the narrow ones I had anymore.

Yes they do, Randi. Only it is now just called the LUX. I'm on my second one. Such a dumb move to sell the Electrolux name to another manufacturer. People think they are getting the original Electrolux and they are not. Check out the Lux http://www.aerusonline.com/products/vacuumcleaners/canisters.cfm

Be forwarned, the price is not for the faint of heart.

Logan
05-03-2007, 11:55 AM
After burning up several of the $200 uprights, every one to two years, that I purchased from Kmart or Sears, I went to vacuum store, explained my situation and ended purchasing a Riccar upright. I have had it for over six years now, have replaced a couple of bearings and even the motor, recently, but it is the best vacuum I have ever owned. When I bought it, it came with a small canister vacuum, too.

I hate bagless now that I have had a couple. We do have a Eureka ( I think) that is our backup vacuum, but the dust and mess from it makes me sick. I buy the more expensive filter bags for my Riccar and they do help.

I think I paid $400 +, over six years ago, but it was well worth the money. The tune ups and replacement parts have been very reasonable.

Logan

*LabLoverKEB*
05-03-2007, 05:57 PM
DYSON! Only the very best vacuum out there! They are a little pricty but SO worth it!

AbbyMom
05-03-2007, 06:31 PM
I love my Sears Kenmore, which we just bought last month on sale. It was the number one best buy rated by Consumer Reports, which I read about right here on Pet Talk.

I was STUNNED at what came up out of my carpeting that was left by my Eureka.

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-04-2007, 09:34 AM
W have a central vacuumer. Meaning we have only a long hose, and connection openings in every room. Just attach the hose, and you can start vacuuming!

Randi
05-04-2007, 10:08 AM
Thanks Rachel, I didn't know Electrolux had been sold. The classic looks rather like the one I mean, except for the clumsy looking thing (what do you call it?) on the end. ;)

I will get a Miele S5280 or S4210 as soon as I can afford it. They are both amazingly silent and really good!

Pawsitive Thinking
05-04-2007, 10:16 AM
What's a vacuum??? :D

I had a Dyson and it was dreadful! I now own a cheap Swan something or other and it does a much better job on the rare occasions it ventures out the cupboard

Mandy49202
05-04-2007, 10:22 AM
I have a Dyson and I have had to put it in the shop 3 times because it would not pick up the pet hair on my floors (and yes I have the animal) but when it works it is great just make sure to get the extended warrantee that way they fix it for free I am so glad that I did

We got ours for $180.00 we got the floor model so you should ask around now that thy have so many new ones out.

angelbow20
05-04-2007, 10:25 AM
My parents got this one that has a shampoo thing attached also. I dont know the brand because im to lazy to go look right now but I know it cost like 3000 dollars!!! I about passed out when I heard she spent that much on one!!!