PDA

View Full Version : Deadliest Catch

sparks19
05-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Anyone watch this show? I love it.... can't get enough. I have no idea why I like it so much. But it's amazing what these people are willing to risk for their jobs...... I'm not sure I would ever risk my life for a job lol.

but EWWWWWW crabs are creepy looking. lol

RICHARD
05-02-2007, 06:27 PM
LOL,

Secret pleasure for me.

If you watch Driving Force, the reality show about John Force and his daughters who drag race, you'll see the resemblence to one of the ship captains.

When I first saw the show I said, "what is JF doing on that boat?" :confused: :D

-----------

Here's a question that has bugged me for the longest time.

In front of the captain's seat, on one of the windows, is a circular thing..
In the middle of the circle is a peg like thing at the center....What is it?

I think it may be some kind of range finding tool but I don't know if it even has a name! :confused:

Vela
05-02-2007, 06:51 PM
LOL I love that show. My husband and I were just talking last night, we have several episodes saved on DVR. We were like, oh wow that pot is really empty, oh but i guess for such a short soak it's not too bad. Then we started laughing our butts off because we actually have LEARNED some about crab fishing. Watched it for a couple of years now. That Sig Hansen, he knows how to catch em but damn he's a hard taskmaster! Did you see the Time Bandit save that guy the other night??? Holy crap that would have been so scary. He is SOOOO lucky they were watching him and noticed him go off, he would have died before his own boat could get him.

Those crabs remind me of Alien facehuggers.

sparks19
05-02-2007, 07:36 PM
LOL richard I couldn't tell ya what that thing is...... Call up the show and demand some answers :D

Vela.... I did see that episode.... WOW!!! That is impressive since they only have a minute or so to live once they hit that water and once they are out they are still not out of the woods. that guy was REALLY lucky.

I am glad I am not the only one that has a secret hopeless addiction to that show. LOL we record them all on our DVR too haha.

Husky15
05-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Love the show. Although, I haven't been watching it much lately. Usually I'll watch it if my mother is. That show reminds me why I would never have that job.

Catty1
05-02-2007, 07:39 PM
Richard - I believe that is called a sextant.

Now, DON'T START!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

sparks19
05-02-2007, 09:22 PM
I looked "Sextant" up-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sextant

now we know :D thanks Catty1

Lady's Human
05-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Richard, I'm assuming that the object you're referring to is a microphone set up on the boat by the production crew, and has nothing to do with the operation of the vessel. I've been out on a bunch of fishing boats, and the show is the only place I've ever seen it. It looks suspiciously like a high efficiency mike.

Almost NO one navigates by sextant anymore, everyone uses LORAN and GPS.

Catty1
05-02-2007, 10:53 PM
A high-efficiency mic that looks like a sextant?

Or just a decoration of same, maybe.

Interesting.

Sirrahsim
05-03-2007, 08:10 AM
My husband and I love that show! I must say... The new captain Blake may be a little bit of an arrogant little son of a gun.... but he is certainly nice on the eyes :o :o :D

Vela
05-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Hahaha, yes he is rather easy on the eyes isn't he? They made a pretty nice haul on his last pot drop too, once he tried dropping them on his own without asking advice. Was glad to see it for them. After looking at the hauls I was surprised the Wizard was so far ahead of the Northwestern, but will see what happens by the end.

RICHARD
05-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Almost NO one navigates by sextant anymore, everyone uses LORAN and GPS.

"turn left at the buoy and proceed to the sandbar"? :D

http://home.earthlink.net/~michael.woodard/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/26.jpg

This is what I am talking about! The circle on the wiindow! I have seen it on all kinds of ships..
LOL, the more I look at it the more I suspect it's probably a vent!

-----

I do own a "tent"...It's a Sears/Hillary model.

Since this isn't the Dog House, you will have to guess at the rest of the joke!

*LabLoverKEB*
05-03-2007, 05:56 PM
My dad LOVES deadliest catch! He loves to go deep sea fishing... or any kind of fishing, really. He does go crabbing a few times a year, though, but nothing like you see on the deadlikest catch! Very cool show, I must say! :)

sparks19
05-03-2007, 06:11 PM
My dad LOVES deadliest catch! He loves to go deep sea fishing... or any kind of fishing, really. He does go crabbing a few times a year, though, but nothing like you see on the deadlikest catch! Very cool show, I must say! :)

LOL I caught a crab once..... of course it wasn't a king crab

I was 8 and we were in B.C. and I wanted to fish so my brother tied a string to a stick and stuck something to the end and said I was fishing. I felt something tug on my line and said "I got something I got something" my mom thought I was full of it since there wasn't any REAL bait on my line. I pulled up my string.... and sure enough a crab dropped onto the dock. LOL I was freaked out.

but I would like to go deep sea fishing sometime

Lady's Human
05-03-2007, 06:26 PM
http://www.fvnorthwestern.com/

Homepage of the NorthWestern!

Vela
05-03-2007, 07:16 PM
Yeah I saw that! If you go to the website for the show there are home pages to some of the other boats too. I always root for the Nothwestern to pull the most crab but I also really like the Cornelia Marie and Time Bandit. Sig makes me laugh with his remarks about the crew.

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/deadliestcatch/bios/bios.html

Lady's Human
05-03-2007, 08:14 PM
And for those who happen to live in the northeast:

http://www.clipperfleet.com/

My summer (when I get a chance) mental floss.

Twisterdog
05-03-2007, 11:34 PM
My husband likes that show, too.

I, personally, don't see the attraction. I'm not much of a TV person anyway, so maybe that's part of it.

The first time I watched the show, I thought it was mildly interesting. But, then again, I thought that was it ... it was just an hour-long program. I had no idea it was a series that went on, and on, and on ...

To me, it's the same thing over and over and over again ... bad weather, grumpy tired men, crab pots, bad weather, grumpy tired men, crab pots, etc. etc.

Guess I'd just better stick to books ....

:)

RICHARD
05-07-2007, 12:14 AM
LH, thanks for the link.

-------------

A climber at the base of Everest once said something like, "If you get in trouble at the top, you may as well be on the moon."

Having a ship sink from underneath you must feel the same way.

I cannot imagine what cold seawater, down the back of the shirt feels like, let alone having my arse dunked for a minute. :eek:

-------------------

The other documentary that was simply amazing and I watch it everytime it's on is the "tuna cowboys"

http://www.wildfilm.tv/history.php

Freckles
06-27-2007, 11:29 AM
New show last night was behind the cameras with the trials of the cameramen. They have it as hard as the fishing crews. :)

Catlady711
06-27-2007, 11:58 AM
For those that want to try the Discovery Channel "Deadliest Catch" game....

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/deadliestcatch/game/game.html

So far I haven't filled my crab hold, nor have I broke $400,000 in profits yet either, guess I won't be on the top 10 list anytime soon. lol

Donnaj4962
06-27-2007, 01:38 PM
I love this show, and always try to catch the newest episodes. I was amazed at the show last night, watching what all the camer crew goes through!

I have decided that if I were to spend just one trip on the boat, I would be attached to something that I know would not be blown (or washed) away, and I would spend the entire time praying for my life and wondering why in the **** I decided to "try" something like this! :eek: :rolleyes:

But that's just me!