PDA

View Full Version : Embarassing, but true, re: cell phones

Logan
05-01-2007, 10:00 AM
Yesterday, I was stopped at a major intersection at rush hour. There were three lanes going forward and I was in the far left lane. I decided that it would be a good time to check my voice mail at the office. I started dialing the office and the light turned green, so I moved forward, but I got distracted, and ended up bearing too far to the left and was in the oncoming lane!!!!!!! I was lucky that there was no oncoming traffic and I was able to ease right back over, but I was shaken to the core. I HATE using my cell phone when driving (especially dialing) and I should have immediately hung it up when the light turned green instead of continuing to put my passcode in.

I learned a valuable lesson. Between my poor eyesight (reading glasses are a necessity) and the heavy traffic, I should have NEVER even have attempted to check those messages when I did. :o I didn't cause an accident, but I could have.

Please be careful, everyone.

Logan

lvpets2002
05-01-2007, 10:05 AM
:) Well we all thankyou for your honesty.. I am so glad your not hurt & no-one else is hurt.. I am very glad you learned a lesson from this matter.. :cool: I wish everyone else could too.. Its like everyone you pass is on a cell phone.. What gets me is you see your City Police & State Troupers on them all the time too.. :rolleyes:

slick
05-01-2007, 10:34 AM
Cell phones and cars don't mix as far as I'm concerned. Glad you are safe Logan and yes, there are some things in life that can just wait. What harm is it to wait until you are parked at your destination before dialing???? :confused:

Pawsitive Thinking
05-01-2007, 10:38 AM
So easily done but I am glad you are okay. We are banned from using mobiles while at the wheel of the car but it still happens. If I see anyone talking on their phones while driving I give them a loud blast of my horn ;)

king2005
05-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Thats why I never use my cell in my car unless I really have to... I'll answer it, casue I have no issues driving with 1 had (it normal driving for me)... But I wont talk long, only a few seconds, to see what the person wants... if its gonna be a long convo, I tell them I'm driving & cannot drive & talk on the cell.. & hang up

Logan
05-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Cell phones and cars don't mix as far as I'm concerned. Glad you are safe Logan and yes, there are some things in life that can just wait. What harm is it to wait until you are parked at your destination before dialing???? :confused:

I knew that and did it anyway. Shame on me! :o It really was stupidity at its best. I'm lucky I didn't crash my car and hurt others in the process. Darned lucky.

lizbud
05-01-2007, 06:44 PM
I knew that and did it anyway. Shame on me! :o It really was stupidity at its best. I'm lucky I didn't crash my car and hurt others in the process. Darned lucky.

Logan, does this confession mean we all have to now confess our "stupid"
stunts? ;) I sure hope not. I know what you mean by realizing after the fact
but those kind of things really tend to stick in ones mind a long time. Lesson
learned, right. :D

sparks19
05-01-2007, 06:52 PM
WOW.... so glad you are ok. It's funny how life sometimes gives you a little push to remind you of something you have overlooked.

My personal favourite is when you drive past someone on their phone and both their hands are flailing wildly throughout the conversation.... I would like to know exactly how they have control of their vehicle lol and how can you be concentrating on the road during a conversation that intense. :eek:

slick
05-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Stupid stunts???? I'm one to talk. I almost crashed my car while changing CDs........ :o :o :o I only did that once and now I put in the CD I want to hear before putting the car into gear.....

jackmilliesmom
05-02-2007, 09:17 AM
We are not allowed to drive with a mobile phone unless we ahve it as a handsfree kit meaning that we cannot drive dial and talk at the same time.

We are issued with penalty points on our licence for any infringement of traffic laws if we are caught and if we reach 12 we are really scr*wed because we lose our licence.

Really crappy but the rules are there for a reason and there are 35 driving laws which can cause us to get penalty points and the points for each infringement differ the lowest amount of points issued is 2 the highest being 12 depending on the severity of the crime.......

I think its good but people are still losing their lives on our roads on a daily basis and sometimes in multiple numbers which is very unnerving.

I think that people should think before they get behind a wheel of a car because the most dangerous weapon on the road is the human being and not the car, as the car is just a mode of transport the person behind the wheel is the controller and therefore the weapon.....

Just a little something to think about. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_11.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxdm119YYIE)

Logan
05-02-2007, 09:42 AM
Logan, does this confession mean we all have to now confess our "stupid"
stunts? ;) I sure hope not. I know what you mean by realizing after the fact
but those kind of things really tend to stick in ones mind a long time. Lesson
learned, right. :D

Nope! We all do stupid things, Liz, and I don't expect this to turn into "true confessions", I promise! :) But this scared me, shook me to my core. As I have gotten older, my eyesight has failed me (you know, the "old lady" syndrome, having to push books and letters and magazines further away). I can't see the screen on my cell phone easily anymore, but there is no way to wear my "granny" glasses and drive at the same time. I have to focus so hard!

Not only could I have caused a major accident at a very, very busy time of day, but I was driving my company car! :eek: It was just stupid and I wanted to make sure I shared my experience with you guys. If it keeps one person form doing what I did, it will be worth it.

Logan

Logan
05-02-2007, 09:45 AM
Stupid stunts???? I'm one to talk. I almost crashed my car while changing CDs........ :o :o :o I only did that once and now I put in the CD I want to hear before putting the car into gear.....

One of our cars has that seperate CD player that holds six CDs. I think it is far more dangerous than the single slot that is in my company and personal vehicle! No way can you change six CDs and drive at the same time!

There are so many distractions, aren't there? I love our Jeep Grand Cherokee because the radio and CD controls are on the back of the steering wheel. That's the car that Helen drives most of the time, thank goodness!

lizbud
05-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Nope! We all do stupid things, Liz, and I don't expect this to turn into "true confessions", I promise! :) But this scared me, shook me to my core. As I have gotten older, my eyesight has failed me (you know, the "old lady" syndrome, having to push books and letters and magazines further away). I can't see the screen on my cell phone easily anymore, but there is no way to wear my "granny" glasses and drive at the same time. I have to focus so hard!

Not only could I have caused a major accident at a very, very busy time of day, but I was driving my company car! :eek: It was just stupid and I wanted to make sure I shared my experience with you guys. If it keeps one person form doing what I did, it will be worth it.

Logan

Logan I was kidding of course, but we all do dumb things every once in
awhile. If we are left unhurt, but scared silly, we usually remember our
lesson all too well. Safe driving everyone. :)

Babyboonie
05-04-2007, 04:16 PM
So easily done but I am glad you are okay. We are banned from using mobiles while at the wheel of the car but it still happens. If I see anyone talking on their phones while driving I give them a loud blast of my horn ;)

:D :D :D I think i'm going to adopt that!! Although knowing my luck, i'll probably get pulled by the police for constant tooting with the amount of people on their mobiles whilst driving down this end of the country!

Babyboonie
05-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Sorry Logan - meant to say that i'm glad your alright. I've done silly things like that at times too...but learnt my lesson. I found myself texting whilst driving...which in some ways is worse than talking....and after nearly running into the back of another car, my mobile stays away from my hands whilst i'm driving.

At the end of the day, we all make mistakes as we are only human....learning from them is the important part.