PDA

View Full Version : Resisting temptation

Pawsitive Thinking
04-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Your teenage daughter pays you a visit at work and leaves her mobile phone behind. What would you do?

lvpets2002
04-30-2007, 12:57 PM
:p Well of course call her from her cell phone & say guess what!! I think you could sneak into the address book first & message board too.. :D

Miss Z
04-30-2007, 01:14 PM
Eek! I'd never want my mum to look at my messages! :eek: ;)

buttercup132
04-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Leave it. I would be SO mad if my mom went through my messages.

Freedom
04-30-2007, 02:30 PM
You forgot one option on the poll: hold onto it and post the question to all your buddies from an on line pet forum. :D

Pawsitive Thinking
05-01-2007, 03:34 AM
You forgot one option on the poll: hold onto it and post the question to all your buddies from an on line pet forum. :D

Lol!!! I did go for option 3 but couldn't help wondering what you would all do :D

Chilli
05-01-2007, 07:21 AM
I would leave it. I never leave my cell around mum, as I've seen her go through my sister's messages all the time.
Its a tad frustrating, though I'm not sure why I'm so protective of my messages, as I have nothing to hide.
Either way, i wouldn't mess with it.

cloverfdx
05-01-2007, 11:28 AM
Nothing... i would return it as soon as possble.

Pawsitive Thinking
05-01-2007, 03:48 PM
The phone stayed in my bag all afternoon and I only answered one call from home to find out where it was. The minute I got home it was put in Katie's room. Do I get "Mum of the Year"?

Seriously, I have a great bond with my daughter and there is no way I would betray that

Sophist
05-01-2007, 05:19 PM
I dunno... if it is something you pay for, then I think you have some right to snoop. However, unless she's given you an excellent reason to do so (doesn't sound like she is out of control or hiding anything dangerous from you), you don't want to violate the trust and open-ness you already have.

For my parents, as long as you were underage and in their home, 'privacy' was not something in their vocabulary, lol. :rolleyes:

carole
05-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Well as a mother of a teenage daughter , i have to say if i knew how to get into it, i probably would.,and that is being totally honest.

Roxyluvsme13
05-01-2007, 06:30 PM
I wouldn't have snooped. I have nothing to hide, but it's just an invasion of privacy.

Twisterdog
05-01-2007, 11:51 PM
I think it would be interesting if everyone had put their ages on their responses to this as well. I'm guessing we would see a clear split down age lines! ;)

When I was a teenager (moot point, really, since we rode dinasaurs to school and did not have cell phones) I would have said "NO! Don't look! It's an invasion of privacy!"

However, now that I have teenagers ... you bet I would snoop! Well, let me add a caveat to that - I would snoop if I felt there was a problem. If I thought (and I have) that my teenagers were doing things that could harm them or others, then oh YES, I will snoop. I have gone through their rooms, their phones, their notes, etc.

For one reason, if something IS going on, and I can find out about it and intervene sooner rather than later, I might be saving my child from a lot of pain and suffering. I also might be saving my child's life, or the life of another. For example, if I thought my child was drinking, doing drugs, having unprotected sex, etc. I would most definately snoop for a hint one way or another. I'd MUCH rather have them mad at me for a few weeks than in jail or in a coffin.

I always think about the Columbine shooting when I hear debates like this. I remember reading that the boy who shot and killed his classmates had glaring hints and clues all over his room as to what he was planning on doing specifically, and just that he was a very disturbed boy in need of serious help. His parents, however, said they had no idea, since they never "snooped" in his room, for fear of violating his privacy. Maybe it they would have, he could have gotten help, and many lives would have been spared.

My kids are very familar with statements like, "It may be 'your' room, but it's MY house." or "It may be 'your' phone, but it's MY money that pays the bill." etc. And that is indeed how I feel. As the parent of a minor, I am legally and financially responsible for them until they are eighteen. If I have to shoulder that immense responsibility, I have some rights to information.

lute
05-02-2007, 12:35 AM
I would look at it. A parent has the right to check up on their children. Kids don't always tell the truth and they could be in some real danger if not researched into what they are doing. Sometimes it's not always best to tell them you are snooping. Only if you catch them at something bad.