PDA

View Full Version : Which Cities Are Most Humane?

Sevaede
04-29-2007, 08:15 PM
I'm typing this, word for word, out of this Parade deal that came out of the paper today. :)

"A city that's humane to animals is one with few fur shops, creatures kept captive for entertainment purposes, or pet stores that sell dogs raised in 'puppy mills'. The humane Society of the U.S. ranked 25 larges cities using those criteria and others. The Top 5:

1. San Francisco
2. Seattle
3. Portland, Oregon
4. Washington, D.C.
5. San Diego

For the full list or for more information, visit www.humaneindex.org "

So I went to the web site and got the rest. :D

" 6. Los Angeles
7. Boston
8. Tampa
9. Baltimore
10. Riverside
11. Atlanta
12. New York
13. Minneapolis
14. Philadelphia
15. Phoenix
16. Pittsburgh
17. Denver
18. Detroit
19. Cleveland
20. Miami
21. St. Louis
22. Houston
23. Dallas
24. Cincinnati
25. Chicago "

wow! :D

Alysser
04-29-2007, 08:19 PM
I'm typing this, word for word, out of this Parade deal that came out of the paper today. :)

"A city that's humane to animals is one with few fur shops, creatures kept captive for entertainment purposes, or pet stores that sell dogs raised in 'puppy mills'. The humane Society of the U.S. ranked 25 larges cities using those criteria and others. The Top 5:

1. San Francisco
2. Seattle
3. Portland, Oregon
4. Washington, D.C.
5. San Diego

For the full list or for more information, visit www.humaneindex.org "

So I went to the web site and got the rest. :D

" 6. Los Angeles
7. Boston
8. Tampa
9. Baltimore
10. Riverside
11. Atlanta
12. New York
13. Minneapolis
14. Philadelphia
15. Phoenix
16. Pittsburgh
17. Denver
18. Detroit
19. Cleveland
20. Miami
21. St. Louis
22. Houston
23. Dallas
24. Cincinnati
25. Chicago "

wow! :D

Wow, that is cool. It's great to see NYC on there! That's my birthpace and I just LOVE it so much, they do have a great animal control/police force at the ASPCA.

Freedom
04-29-2007, 08:42 PM
I saw that in Parade today, also.

I didn't understand why having a zoo would make Providence lose out. That zoo has won numerous awards for natural habitats. I guess maybe the folks putting out the rating are aginst a zoo of any type?

I hated going to the zoo as a kid, back then the animals were in concrete cages, ugh.

Glad to see the rest of the list, thanks!

Prairie Purrs
04-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Denver deserves to be much lower on the list because the city's ordinances make it impossible for anyone to legally be a caretaker of a feral cat colony. If you feed and/or shelter more than five cats, regardless of whether any of the cats are ferals, you're committing a crime!

Also, if you feed feral cats and those cats happen to poop on anyone else's property--bingo, you've committed another crime!

Denver's approach to dealing with ferals is to loan out traps to people--Animal Control won't do the trapping themselves. Once the cats are trapped, Animal Control puts them to death. Real humane, eh?

mugsy
04-29-2007, 09:25 PM
I was thinking Denver should be lower because of their horrific pit bull ban...

I'm not surprised, however, that 4 of the top 5 were on the west coast and that San Francisco was #1. I wasn't surprised to see Boston either. I was surprised to see D.C. though.

Prairie Purrs
04-29-2007, 09:36 PM
I was thinking Denver should be lower because of their horrific pit bull ban...

That certainly should have been factored in as well. City government here is downright hostile to animals!

RedHedd
04-30-2007, 09:14 AM
:) So proud to be living in City #1 - and so are my kitties!