PDA

View Full Version : Hamster Tubes

Mycavyangels
04-29-2007, 01:51 PM
Has anyone ever bought a normal cage and then cut out a section to add in tubes?

Do you think it would be a good/bad idea to cut out a section to add some tubes to come out of the cage and link to another one? Has anyone ever done this before?
and wot do u use??

heres my cage
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q80/Mycavyangels/Picture119-2.jpg

Miss Z
04-29-2007, 02:55 PM
You have the same cage I used to have for my past hammy, Foxy. Good memories. :)

Personally, I've never been a fan of those interconnecting tubes. They're absolute hell to clean and get stinky really quickly, expecially in summer when in gets hot and humid in those things. Plus they break pretty easily. Another thing is when you have a nervous or new hamster in a cage with tubes, they can easily evade you catching them!

If you think your hammy needs more space or more exercise, with summer coming up, maybe get him/her another cage which you can take outdoors with you for a bit each day. I do that with Tia with weather permitting and she loves it. I know that cage you have is fairly large anyway, as far as hamster cages go, so I'm sure your hammy still has plenty of space to have fun!

Whisk_Luva
04-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Well if you mean the tubes are going on the outside... NO! My friends hamsters tube broke and they spent over 4 hours looking for the hamster only to find he had chewed his way through the computer wires!

By the way what a cute Hammy you have! Name? Gender?

Sooo Cute lol!

Whisk_Luva
04-29-2007, 03:00 PM
I have that bed (well... uh not me... but my hamster does lol!) ! But in red :D

Whisk has a three story cage... It is very roomy! He is spoilt rotten :rolleyes:

I just cant give in to those hamster eyes! :rolleyes:

Right now I am ordering him a hamster car! :D

Mycavyangels
04-29-2007, 03:02 PM
oh right! thanks for advice guys!!
my hamster i called Buffy and she is a Syrian :)

Whisk_Luva
04-29-2007, 03:11 PM
Gender?

Heres a pic of my Whisk's Cage...

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s215/whisk-luva/Picture1628.jpg

Minus a few toys because I forgot to put them back in when I cleaned him out

Mycavyangels
04-29-2007, 03:16 PM
i would like to do our cage like this

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q80/Mycavyangels/chips_cage.jpg

wot do u think?

Mycavyangels
04-29-2007, 03:17 PM
Buffy is female :)

Whisk_Luva
04-29-2007, 03:26 PM
Cute! My Whisk is getting Married :D

IRescue452
04-29-2007, 04:51 PM
There are square plastic pieces connected to those tubes right where they are sitting on top of the cages. The pieces allow tubes to be connected on both sides and then set onto a square opening so that the rodent in question cannot fit out the opening where the tube is sticking out. I'm not sure how else to describe those pieces but I'm sure they still sell them in stores.

I place zip cords around the middle of some tubes so they don't fall apart, and some of my newer tubes don't come in halves, its all one piece of plastic. Cleaning is not that hard with one of those bendy, bristle bottle-cleaner brushes.

Babyboonie
05-01-2007, 06:42 AM
Cute! My Whisk is getting Married :D

Harriet is glad you added that bit Ellie....she was starting to think that Whisk was looking for another Wife!!!!

Whisk_Luva
05-05-2007, 08:36 AM
Nope just thinking of bridesmaids but we have 1 now :)