PDA

View Full Version : U.K. earthquake!

RICHARD
04-29-2007, 01:08 AM
Homes damaged in quake

Several families remain in emergency accommodation after an earthquake struck a corner of Britain, causing power cuts and damaging dozens of home.

The moderate shock, centred near Folkestone in Kent and registering 4.3 on the Richter scale, left emergency services trying to cope with hundreds of calls.

A 30-year-old woman suffering from a minor head injury and neck pain was the only person who needed hospital treatment after the 8.18am tremor, the ambulance service said.

Shepway District Council said two large families and several other families were being accommodated last night at the authority's emergency centre.

Council spokesman Jeff Stack estimated it would take days just for the initial analysis of homes to be carried out.

Almost 100 sought refuge at the Salvation Army centre in Canterbury Road, Folkestone, after the tremor, and more than a dozen spent last night there.

The centre was one of the places affected by power cuts but Salvation Army minister Captain Peter West came to the rescue with an emergency vehicle equipped with its own gas and electric generator, to provide food and drinks.

He said: "A lot of people were upset and confused, but there was no serious trauma."

Anne Gould, 36, sought shelter at the Salvation Army building after a chimney collapsed at her home.

She said: "You've got to be thankful that we're all still alive I suppose. I was just getting dressed when the whole house swayed. Then I heard the chimney coming off and sliding down the front of the house."

Miss Z
04-29-2007, 03:20 AM
It really is unusual to have such an occurance over here!

I watched a news report last night in which a fireman and his family told how they had been sitting after breakfast, and then the quake struck and smoky dust billiowed into the room. He had to get both his kids out of the house, guided only by their screams in the thick smoke. It sounds so scary, the type of horror story we aren't really used to happening in the UK.

Thank goodness, though, that there were no deaths and only one casualty. I hope her recovery is swift.

Babyboonie
04-29-2007, 04:46 AM
Folkestone's not too far from me - bout 30 miles. Miss Z's right, we are just not used to that sort of disaster over here so was pleased to hear that no-one was serioulsy injured.

Killearn Kitties
04-29-2007, 06:14 AM
I was wondering if it was anywere near you Babyboonie. Glad to hear you were not affected. :)

RICHARD
04-29-2007, 07:50 AM
I watched a news report last night in which a fireman and his family told how they had been sitting after breakfast, and then the quake struck and smoky dust billiowed into the room..

If anything, it's an indicator that you have to clean more thoroughly... :eek:
I hate when that happens. Thank goodness everyone is safe!

Kirsten
04-29-2007, 12:40 PM
Wow, that's pretty unsually, I guess no one expects such a thing to happen.

Same here, we were all very surprised when the west of Germany was hit by an earthquake in the early 90s...

Glad that no one got seriously injured!

Kirsten

Killearn Kitties
04-29-2007, 01:02 PM
It did say on the news last night that this particular area experiences an earthquake every two weeks. It is just that they are normally tiny little things, so they go unnoticed. An earthquake of the magnitude experienced yesterday has only happened three times before in that area.

Karen
04-29-2007, 01:04 PM
I am glad everyone is okay. Isn't it funny what a small world it is - we always know someone near where an event happens, it seems, and are always glad when they check in.

Babyboonie
04-29-2007, 01:58 PM
Killearn Kitties - I was wondering if it was anywere near you Babyboonie. Glad to hear you were not affected.

I am glad everyone is okay. Isn't it funny what a small world it is - we always know someone near where an event happens, it seems, and are always glad when they check in.

aahhhhh.....i'm fine thanks!!! We didn't feel a thing here, which I was surprised about as a few places further away did?? Well according to the newspapers anyway!!