PDA

View Full Version : Snakes and Substrates

Sevaede
04-28-2007, 08:45 PM
I was just curious what the other snake folks use as substrate in their tanks. :D

We've been using aspen for Fluffy. However, we were thinking that maybe there's something that might be a little bit more comfortable? Has anyone had experience with the dirt stuffs (Bed a beast, etc)? Paper towels wouldn't really be economical unless I shredded them(so I don't have to take out a whole piece of paper towel when I go to remove waste), right?

Thanks! :D

buttercup132
04-28-2007, 09:25 PM
I used the dirt and wood shaving things (not aspen or anything like that it was dark wood) I would put a layer of dirt first then the chips. They loved to burrow in it.

Sophist
04-28-2007, 11:12 PM
Butcher paper or paper towels are both pretty cheap and allow quick, easy clean-up... I personally like being able to clean the whole bottom of my snakes' cages with a quick change-out of the paper towel, which I can bunch up and use the clean parts to swab them out with a cleaning solution. Especially with just one corn snake (right?) it would actually be pretty economical. I tend to use it right after feeding or for some of my really messy snakes.

Reptile bark is also a great choice, and I have had a lot of luck using it, too. I would reccomend it for a natural look, and if Fluffy likes to burrow at all (some of my corns have, some haven't).