PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Mika!

Lou
04-28-2007, 06:16 PM
Hello everyone, my name is Becky and I'm a mother to a wonderful Siberian Husky puppy named Mika.
Our old dog Bingo had to be put down last November so we started our hunt for a new dog (we found we couldn't be without a dog for long).
On December 14th we randomly decided to go to our local SPCA and see what dogs they had and an hour and a half before we got there, a woman dropped Mika off (previously named Angel) and once we saw her we fell in love!

She's about 8 months old now, very frisky and hyper, she's also very caring and maternal, she loves to clean people's ears and give us kisses.

Here's a few pictures:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b167/Jorkie/Aminals/miik.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b167/Jorkie/Aminals/weirdoo.jpg
She sleeps in strange positions.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b167/Jorkie/Aminals/pathetic.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b167/Jorkie/Aminals/snoot.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b167/Jorkie/Aminals/sleeping.jpg

Toby's my baby
04-28-2007, 06:23 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk! Mika is beautiful!! Great photos, I hope we get to see more of her soon! :D

Lou
04-28-2007, 06:27 PM
Wolf_Q, now that I have my own thread I will answer your questions!

I have a problem with bathing Mika, she gets scared and shakes when we try to bathe her, and she moves around a lot making it difficult to bathe her.
What shampoo do you recommend? I also have a difficult time trying to rinse all of the shampoo out of her fur, but I guess that might be easier now that it's warmer out and I can wash her outside (I had to do it in the tub in the winter).
I don't have a high velocity dryer, I have a regular hair dryer, which I guess won't really do the job. Where could you get a high velocity dryer, and how much would that be?

Mika is inside a bit, but she really loves being outside, she likes to dig and chew on plants (I think I might have to dig up our rose bush if she doesn't stop chewing on it, she got a piece stuck in the roof of her mouth two weeks ago and we had to get to the vet to take it out, it stayed in because of the thorns on it), I have a hard time keeping her inside, she just really loves to be outside. I don't know what to do with her when I am inside.

My neighbor has a german shepherd lab mix, and they play together daily, we took them to a dog park and Mika really seemed to like the creek and all of the other dogs, so maybe a kiddie pool would be a good idea.

Do you have any other advice for me? I could use all the tips I can get.

*LabLoverKEB*
04-28-2007, 06:42 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk! Your Sibe Mika is beautiful!

luvofallhorses
04-28-2007, 07:09 PM
Welcome to pet talk!! Mika is gorgeous!! :D more pics please!!

Ginger's Mom
04-28-2007, 08:06 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk. Mika is adorable, and I see she has the Husky silly sleeping positions down pat. :) The nose shot is adorable.

Freedom
04-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Hello, and Welcome to PetTalk! Another husky on here, oh boy. By the way we LOVE photos!

Sevaede
04-28-2007, 08:13 PM
Welcome to PT! We look forward to your stay and lots more pics! :D

Tollers-n-Dobes
04-28-2007, 08:46 PM
Welcome to PT! Mika is absolutely gorgeous. I love Sibes. :)

Lou
04-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk. Mika is adorable, and I see she has the Husky silly sleeping positions down pat. :) The nose shot is adorable.

Do huskies always sleep in strange positions?

Also, thank you all for your warm welcome! I'll look for more good pictures of Mika to post!

Kalei
04-28-2007, 09:53 PM
Awww Mika is adorable! I just love Siberians they are such beautiful dogs. Welcome to Pet Talk Lou and Mika! You will love it hear. And we will be looking forward to seeing more of Mika for sure:D

wolf_Q
04-29-2007, 12:00 AM
Mika is GORGEOUS!! Thanks for the photos! :D

You may have a hard time washing her outside unless you can use warm water...at least I've tried to wash Nebo in cold water and it didn't work very well. I use Tomlyn brand Milk Shampoo (sold at Petco, maybe Petsmart too, also through Pet Edge) on my dogs. I can use it for free which is nice, it makes their coats very soft. There are lots of good dog shampoos on the market. You can buy a dryer through Pet Edge, they are pretty pricey though...$100+. It works really well to dry them fast and it blows out lots of the undercoat, it is loud though and some dogs get scared by the noise...my dogs are fine with it but huskies in general don't really like bathing and blow-drying. Do you have a self-service dog wash near you?

My dogs love being outside too, and Keva really loves to chew up plants and dig. I think letting them be outside is fine as long as the yard is secure, they just need to be able to go inside and spend time with their family as well. It sounds like Mika has lots of fun playing with your neighbors dog. :) If you have any husky questions feel free to ask me or others on this board, there's lots of "husky" people on here. Oh, and yes all huskies sleep in weird positions lol.

Wolf_Q, now that I have my own thread I will answer your questions!

I have a problem with bathing Mika, she gets scared and shakes when we try to bathe her, and she moves around a lot making it difficult to bathe her.
What shampoo do you recommend? I also have a difficult time trying to rinse all of the shampoo out of her fur, but I guess that might be easier now that it's warmer out and I can wash her outside (I had to do it in the tub in the winter).
I don't have a high velocity dryer, I have a regular hair dryer, which I guess won't really do the job. Where could you get a high velocity dryer, and how much would that be?

Mika is inside a bit, but she really loves being outside, she likes to dig and chew on plants (I think I might have to dig up our rose bush if she doesn't stop chewing on it, she got a piece stuck in the roof of her mouth two weeks ago and we had to get to the vet to take it out, it stayed in because of the thorns on it), I have a hard time keeping her inside, she just really loves to be outside. I don't know what to do with her when I am inside.

My neighbor has a german shepherd lab mix, and they play together daily, we took them to a dog park and Mika really seemed to like the creek and all of the other dogs, so maybe a kiddie pool would be a good idea.

Do you have any other advice for me? I could use all the tips I can get.

p.s. Here's a pic of my two :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/U2Q/Nebo%20and%20Keva%20April%202007/easter07.jpg

Lou
04-29-2007, 12:32 AM
I *might* be able to get warm water. What I think I really need to know, is all of the proper procedures for bathing a dog. I don't know if there's a specific way to do it, generally I just catch her and hold her there with one hand and try and wash her with the other, while in the tub (I don't even have a showerhead with a hose on it, haha), so maybe there's a more proper way for me to go about doing this?
Also, I'll have to check about the self-service dog wash, there might be some around that I never knew existed.

Our fence has holes in it (it's mostly rusted, it's a 3ft chain-link fence), so we keep Mika attached to a rope which is attached to a fence post. I'm slightly worried about it because yesterday she somehow managed to get off her line, thankfully she didn't run away, but she has gotten away from us 2-3 times in the past.

I have to say, your huskies are adorable!

+ Here's a few photo's of Mika and Zeek:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b167/Jorkie/Aminals/kisses-1.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b167/Jorkie/Aminals/runningg.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b167/Jorkie/Aminals/mikazeek2.jpg
For some reason she likes to keep her front paws on him.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b167/Jorkie/Aminals/mikazeeky.jpg

Mika is GORGEOUS!! Thanks for the photos! :D

You may have a hard time washing her outside unless you can use warm water...at least I've tried to wash Nebo in cold water and it didn't work very well. I use Tomlyn brand Milk Shampoo (sold at Petco, maybe Petsmart too, also through Pet Edge) on my dogs. I can use it for free which is nice, it makes their coats very soft. There are lots of good dog shampoos on the market. You can buy a dryer through Pet Edge, they are pretty pricey though...$100+. It works really well to dry them fast and it blows out lots of the undercoat, it is loud though and some dogs get scared by the noise...my dogs are fine with it but huskies in general don't really like bathing and blow-drying. Do you have a self-service dog wash near you?

My dogs love being outside too, and Keva really loves to chew up plants and dig. I think letting them be outside is fine as long as the yard is secure, they just need to be able to go inside and spend time with their family as well. It sounds like Mika has lots of fun playing with your neighbors dog. :) If you have any husky questions feel free to ask me or others on this board, there's lots of "husky" people on here. Oh, and yes all huskies sleep in weird positions lol.

p.s. Here's a pic of my two :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/U2Q/Nebo%20and%20Keva%20April%202007/easter07.jpg

Kfamr
04-29-2007, 12:55 AM
Welcom to Pet Talk Becky and Mika! Can't wait to learn more about you two. :)

Mika is beautiful.

I'm Kay and I am owned by four rescued mutts. :)

RobiLee
04-29-2007, 01:14 AM
Welcome! Mika is a beauty. I'm so happy to see her. There are quite a few husky folks here to help you out with any questions you might have and they always have excellent advice. I'm not good with advice so I'll leave that to the others. I have a husky girl myself (you can see her in my signature pic) and she is quite a handful but also the sweetest thing ever. I think she is strange for a husky though because she doesn't really seem to sleep in weird positions like all the other huskies here ;).

Looking forward to seeing lots more of Mika!

pessimisaurus
04-29-2007, 12:10 PM
wowza another *gorgeous* sibe on our board! haha! how many do we have now?? lets see theres:

Nebo, Keva, Tikeya, Tori, Roxey, Royal, Dakota, Mishka, Kavik, Suka, Star, Sherman, Gracie, sled_dog & glacier's teams... did I miss anyone??

welcome! she is gorgeous!

oh and yes Ive learned that sibes all sleep in weird positions haha

BCollie_Kelly
04-29-2007, 02:03 PM
What a cutie! I love those eyes!

I noticed your from PA, where abouts are you? :) Welcome to another Pennsylvanian! :D

crow_noir
04-30-2007, 12:05 AM
I HIGHLY suggest getting a hose attachment for indoors! Either a shower head one, or you can also get them for regular tub faucets. (Or getting a hot water line to the outdoor faucet... and a spigot that combines the hot and cold. I haven't seen this since my parents' house, but i know it exists out there. ...but that is a LOT more expensive of a project than the $5 - $20 bath tub faucet attachment.)

I found that Koli prefers a LOT cooler water than other dogs i have bathed, but she still REALLY appreciates that it is not the freezing cold of the hose water. I'd never want to bath in that; I'd never make an animal do the same. (Unless it was a polar bear... but that's a different story.)

Husky_mom
04-30-2007, 10:53 AM
wowza another *gorgeous* sibe on our board! haha! how many do we have now?? lets see theres:

Nebo, Keva, Tikeya, Tori, Roxey, Royal, Dakota, Mishka, Kavik, Suka, Star, Sherman, Gracie, sled_dog & glacier's teams... did I miss anyone??

*raises hand* my two girls...... which I NEED to post more often...... :rolleyes: Ninja and China.......

that is a proof you have a true husky : weird sleeping positions.....LOL

what an adorable face! may I ask what breed is Zeek? looks like GSD but unsure..... he´s very cute too! ...... welcome!!

finn's mom
04-30-2007, 10:56 AM
She's gorgeous!

pitc9
04-30-2007, 11:47 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk!

I had a good laugh when I saw the funny sleeping position!
Yep! That's a husky for you!
My sister has a Husky named Yukon.
I'm owned by 2 rescued German Shepherds, Sierra and Buddy.

Oh Mika's so blasted Cute!!!!

As far as having holes in your fence. I think it would be VERY wise of you to have your fence fixed. Huskies are excape artists and will always look for a way out!! If you don't have the money to have your fence replaced, then a cheap fix would be to buy some pig wire, or chicken wire and attach it over the holes in your fence.

Kiddie pools are great for dogs that love the water, and they don't cost a lot of money either!

cyber-sibes
05-01-2007, 10:40 AM
Welcome! Mika's a very pretty girl! It's wonderful that you adopted her from the shelter, too.

As you can see, I have a blue-eyed dilute black & white female sibe too - Star. My handsome Sherman is a lt. red & white sibe. Sherman sleeps in funny positions, Star used to like to sleep with her head hanging down lower than her body, silly pup. As Amy suggested, do check to see if there is a self-service wash, it really helps to have the right equipment. Actually, I only bathe mine a couple times a year because huskies do a lot of self-cleaning anyway, and their fur has an oil on it that helps shed dirt. Mine aren't too fond of baths either. Mika looks like she's having a ball with her buddy! Star also likes to grab other dogs with her front paws. Huskies love physical play! Be sure to go to some obedience classes with her, too, it will be fun for both of you.

Huskies are notorious for escaping - you probably need to improve your fence. Huskies will climb over, dig under, untwine, chew through, & leap over most any kind of fencing. Make sure you microchip her & keep an id on her so hopefully she can be returned. (Star has been returned to us twice) We invested in 6' high kennel fencing - pricey, but we felt necessary.

Sibes...ya gotta love them! :rolleyes:
Looking forward to more pictures of your lovely Mika.

Nebo, Keva, Tikeya, Tori, Roxey, Royal, Dakota, Mishka, Kavik, Suka, Star, Sherman, Gracie, sled_dog & glacier's teams... Ninja and China......don't forget Anna!
(We also have about 20 sibe-mixes on the board.)

Suki Wingy
05-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Welcome to PT! As has been pointed out, gorgeous Mika is among friends here, we have quite a few Sibes. :) My dog is Named Niņo and he's in my sig nect to my bunny.

Denyce
05-01-2007, 02:52 PM
*clearing my throat*

Ok I know I am not around as much as I used to be but you seemed to have forgotten Sequoia. ;)

Your Mika is just beautiful. If you haven't figured it out I am owned by an aboslutely beautiful red/white with blue eyes husky by the name of Sequoia.

You wouldn't happen to be anywhere near State College would you? If so I have a wonderful groomer to recommend. :D

She won't let us bathe Sequoia ourselves because it is just too difficult to get the soap out. We only have to take her in a couple of times a year and she stays wonderfully soft and clean and gorgeous.

Our girl doesn't like any other breed of dog but huskies and other malamutes. One of these days REAL soon I am going to post some pictures of her playing with her husky BFF Maya.

Welcome to the wonderful world of huskies!! :cool:

Denyce

cyber-sibes
05-01-2007, 06:11 PM
*clearing my throat* Ok I know I am not around as much as I used to be but you seemed to have forgotten Sequoia. I knew there was someone else, but my old brain ain't what it used to be! Well, Denyce, you have GOT to post more pics of your beautiful girl! Can you think of any more sibes we may have forgotten?

Sevaede
05-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Aww! What a gorgeous girl! :) Welcome! :D

Denyce
05-01-2007, 09:30 PM
I knew there was someone else, but my old brain ain't what it used to be! Well, Denyce, you have GOT to post more pics of your beautiful girl! Can you think of any more sibes we may have forgotten?

I know I know! Life has been just too busy. But Sequoia has had a couple of play dates now with Maya so hopefully I can post some pics from that soon.

I can't think of any others but it seems like everytime I log on there are more huskies! YEA! You can't ever get enough huskies!

Denyce