PDA

View Full Version : Puppy making decisions, someone help?

coco-bean
04-28-2007, 08:44 AM
As most of you know im getting a little bundle of chocolate love in about a month. Im just kinda curious as to what everyone thinks!
Normally i crate train since it worked so well with my other three. Especially helped out when corona was first getting sick and having diahrea in the middle of the night,having the kennel kinda contained it for easy clean up!
But i really dont want to buy another kennel, i was either thinking...
Cainan could be outa his kennel during the day and night since he breaks out of it sometimes anyway and never disturbs anything in the house, or i could just start right from the get go with the new puppy being outa the kennel!
I also want to switch corona into cainans kennel because his is bigger and before long she is going to be too tall for the one she's in!
I am just curious on opinions, any kind of opinions would be helpful!
thoughts on not crate training, since i've never done it? ect.!
Thanks in advance, Tonya

Kfamr
04-28-2007, 09:02 AM
As my dogs aged, their time out of the kennel at night increased. If Cainan is okay out of his crate at night, let him have free roam of whatever room and have the puppy take his place.

I personally haven't had a puppy without crate training and prefer to have them used to a crate just incase it's needed somewhere down the line.

Freedom
04-28-2007, 11:04 AM
I've have only ever used a crate for puppies. It seems as much for their safety as anything. Having a puppy roaming around the house, or even jsut a room, unsupervised at night while you sleep just doesn't seem like "good parenting" to me. And as you mentioned it makes it easier for clean ups when there are those inevitable accidents.

Once they learn to tell me they have to go out, I remove the crate. So since you have one who does that, I would save your money and use that crate for the puppy.

If you decide on this route, you may want to start keeping that dog out of the crate NOW, so he doesn't sassociate losing his crate with the newbie and become jealous. :rolleyes: You know, "mom MADE me give up my home for YOU!" kind of thinking.

coco-bean
04-28-2007, 11:29 AM
good idea, thanks guys!
any other tips on anything at all is more the welcome here! I know im not super new to this being a mommy again, but becoming a mommy with an additional 3, is there anything i may need to know that i may not have been aware of before?

dab_20
04-28-2007, 05:47 PM
Crate training, in my opinion, is probably the easiest way to get your puppy potty trained and out of trouble. I have not crate trained only once, and the dog was never fully potty trained and when she was a pup got into everything. I would recommend crate training this pup, too, since you've done it before it should be pretty simple.

Your chocolate girl is a sweetie, BTW!

applesmom
04-28-2007, 11:28 PM
You might as well bite the bullet and buy another crate. Crate training has worked well with your other 3. Why mess with success?

In a household with 4 active dogs, all dogs should have their own place for quiet time when they want it.

Giselle
04-29-2007, 02:51 PM
Just wanted to add that some dogs get easily agitated when they're in the crate and another dog isn't. Therefore, I have to agree with getting another crate. For the average Lab, you'll probably pay about $80-90 for a wire crate. It's pretty inexpensive considering you practically have all your supplies already :)

coco-bean
04-29-2007, 07:26 PM
well i prolly wouldnt ever crate them together just because of size wise and they get easily aggitated by each other in the same room, let alone the same crate lol!
I get the plastic crates...which i prefer, since cainan is a little escape artist anyway lol!

Giselle
04-29-2007, 08:08 PM
No, no, I meant some dogs get agitated when they themselves are in a crate and the other dog is allowed to roam free. I forget which crates are more expensive, but plastic Vari-Kennels shouldn't be more than $80 or so dollars. It's an invaluable tool =)

coco-bean
04-29-2007, 08:25 PM
i think i to am thinking so!
they are just so big and tacky that it'd be nice to not have 4 of them you know lol!
what age do you think it'd be okay for cainan or maybe even coco to be able to not have one?
Coco gets into stuff ALL the time, we use to let her out while we were gone but even with toys left out for her, she was going for the other stuff...such as cabinets...my comforter on my bed ect.
Cainan doesnt touch anything and doesnt even get on the furniture which is amazing!
coco is about 13 months old now and cainan will be a year at the end of May

theterrierman
04-30-2007, 03:08 PM
A crate costs $80, a one time purchase for your dogs life.

Compare that to new baseboards, carpets, furniture, or the vet bills for an electrocuted puppy from chewing wires.

I'd rather spend $80