PDA

View Full Version : fenced yard?

lute
04-27-2007, 01:26 PM
Do you have a fenced in yard for your dogs to run in?

Unfortinatly I don't. when we lived in our last house we had a large yard and three blocks away we had 3 acres for the dogs to run on. now I don't have a decent yard for them to run in and sometimes I don't have time to take them all the way to the other side of town to run at the park. It sucks! I get so frustrated sometimes.

JuniorxMyxLove
04-27-2007, 01:30 PM
hmm... I've got an electric fence...where would that one go? lol.

critter crazy
04-27-2007, 01:36 PM
We did have a great fenced in yard, till the last Snow storm KNocked it down! Now we are contemplating an Invisible fence system, or just putting up a new fence.

Suki Wingy
04-27-2007, 02:14 PM
yes, it holds Niņo but Layla would climb over it.

Flatcoatluver
04-27-2007, 02:20 PM
Nope not compltly fenced, because are dogs stay home, they have never wandered off. But we only let them outside supervized. But half of our yard is fenced for the ducks, they like to go bug finding in places they shouldn't go.

cali
04-27-2007, 02:22 PM
I have a big fully fenced yard. if my dogs want to, they can all get out if my fence no problem, they simply choose not to bother lol

Tollers-n-Dobes
04-27-2007, 03:24 PM
My yard is fully fenced and secure. I couldn't imagine not having a fenced area for the dogs.

Glacier
04-27-2007, 04:19 PM
We have a better fence than the local jail! Four fenced acres, at least six feet high with a buried section and a layer of wire on the ground for 12 inches, to prevent digging out. Most of the fencing is game fencing, the stuff that elk ranchers use. It's very heavy and strong. Some of the older sections are concrete underlay wire. All of the joining fences have a second layer of fence that is usually chain link. This prevents fence fighting.

The yard is split into six pens. The dogs all have their prefered pens with their buddies, except Kayleigh who lives alone and likes it that way! All of the pens have at least two gates with a small pen in between the gates. Prevents the dogs from pushing their way past me out a gate and into a pen they aren't supposed to be in. 24 dogs requires constant personality balancing!

The driveway is double gated as well so we can drive in without escapes.

Mac can jump the fence, especially in the winter when the snowpack makes the height decrease. He escapes much less often now than when he first arrived. Most often he lets himself into his brother's pen. He just likes to visit Ozzy. He only lets himself out now when I leave him at home in the winter--he's coming with his team wether he's supposed to or not! Fortunately, he has great recall and is well mannered off leash!

Tehya can't go in one of the front pens. She's so much smaller than the other dogs that she can squeeze right out of the fencing in that one pen. It's a different gauge of wire!

chocolatepuppy
04-27-2007, 04:45 PM
We have a 6 ft wood fence along the back of our property. (which badly needs replaced this summer) The rest is 4 ft chain link. We used to worry Lacey would jump the fence but she never did. Now with knee surgeries on her back knees I seriously doubt she could jump it. Now we worry about Layla.This morning there was a dog from a few streets over that breaks loose running up and down our fence. I was waiting, holding my breath, to see if Layla jumped over the end when he kept going. No worries, she crashed into the fence. :rolleyes:

Alysser
04-27-2007, 04:46 PM
I have a fully fenced in yard, and Sassy loves running around in it. It's totally secure, but what do you expect a 10 pound munchkin to do lol?

Ginger's Mom
04-27-2007, 04:51 PM
No, I really wish I did though. There is so much more I could do with Ginger if I did. And I would seriously consider either fostering again or adopting an older dog. Ooooh, I would love to have one to play fetch in, or just enjoy lying outside and reading a book while she chases squirrels. Or putting up some agility equipment, or...so much. It would never replace our walks together (okay maybe some of the snowy/icy ones) and would definitely not cut down on our trips to the dog park, but it sure would offer us a lot of opportunities we don't have now.

Danegirl2208
04-27-2007, 05:15 PM
Yes..i have a 6ft block fence...it works just fine with my pups.

cmayer31
04-27-2007, 07:43 PM
Our back yard is fully fenced, but I don't trust leaving Frankie out there. Frankie well try to escape any way possible if left unsupervised. She's an excellent digger and has a great vertical, so she's only outback if someone else is. Riley can be left outside with no issues and the fence works perfectly fine for her.

Kfamr
04-27-2007, 07:58 PM
Our backyard is fully fence (we put it up ourselves) and it keeps our dogs in completely fine. :)

luvofallhorses
04-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Our fence is secure but we have to tie up the gate or Jenny will bust out it. :rolleyes: we have a huge front yard and a small back yard and we used to never have a fenced yard with Rocky and Jenny when we lived in our old house but everything was fine but Jenny would get loose once in awhile. :rolleyes:

ProudKittieMom
04-28-2007, 12:31 AM
I picked other and here is why...

Ok so we had a fence put in the yard for the dogs its secure and everything there is just one problem...

THEY WONT GO IN IT :rolleyes: they rather go on the deck where they did as puppies (before we were able to get the fence) And so we just have a section of our yard on one side of our house fenced in with no one to go in it :rolleyes: lol!

cloverfdx
04-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Our yard is fully fenced and escape proof, i would not have it any other way.

Chilli
04-28-2007, 09:44 PM
I voted Yes, though we technically don't have ours up yet. We will within the next month! Around here it takes forever to get a bussiness to do it for you.
But I already know that a chainlink fence holds all three of our dogs well, as we have taken them to our neighbor's fence to play.
I can't wait until we have a fence of our own^^.

IRescue452
04-28-2007, 10:06 PM
The neighbors to one side and the back have wooden privacy fences. Our yard is therefore partially fenced. Autumn stays in the yard for the most part, unless visiting Murphy next door or her brother two houses down. The new pup will need a tie out and we may set up some temporary fencing to cover the part that isn't covered by the neighbors fences.

Sophist
04-28-2007, 11:19 PM
My back yard is fenced in. The dogs are never allowed in the front yard off-leash (people drive like maniacs down our street). However, especially with a pair of determined little beagles, I would never consider any fence escape-proof!

Roxyluvsme13
04-29-2007, 12:00 AM
I only wish I had a fenced yard :(.

wolf_Q
04-29-2007, 12:04 AM
Yes, with huskies its a must. I wouldn't live in a house unless the yard was fully fenced.

k9krazee
05-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Yes, and I voted other, because even though our yard is COMPLETELY fenced in (we even put a gate across the driveway) it holds 4 of the 5 dogs. Mr. Jack the Houdini can jump the fence, climb the fence or squeeze himself under the fence. :rolleyes:

Freedom
05-01-2007, 04:44 PM
We fenced in the back yard for Sugar. She loves and lately doesn't like leaving to walk around the house with me!

We had to fence as we have coyotes and a 12 pound dog is dinner (or breakfast). :eek:

We really are glad to have it for the 6:30 AM squirrel patrol trips. One of us can let her out and not have to worry about getting dressed, putting on shoes, and such. Sometimes, she even has to do business on those early trips. :rolleyes:

mruffruff
05-02-2007, 02:43 PM
I have a six foot high wooden fence all around my back yard and a chain link divider. The dogs have their side and I have mine. Unfortunately, they both look awful :rolleyes:

Samson used to be able to jump the fence, but he's gotten too old and comfortable to bother. And Bella tries to dig under, but I've buried fencing underneath so she gets nowhere.

I like knowing that they are safe from intruders as well as from escapes.