PDA

View Full Version : Toronto

slleipnir
04-27-2007, 09:57 AM
I'm going to Toronto in may for an anime convention with a group of friends...I want to go to Niagra Falls while there...I'm not even sure exactly where. The website says "Doubletree International Plaza Hotel, the Toronto Congress Center, and the nearby Renaissance Toronto Airport Hotel"

I'm curious if anyone who lives there knows if buses go from this area to Niagra Falls and how much it is.

Blue_Frog
04-27-2007, 10:20 AM
Toronto to Niagara Falls isn't super far - about an hour to an hour and a half drive depending on how fast you drive.

Since it looks like you're going to be right downtown, there should be several options for taking a bus or tourline down to Niagara -- i'll see if i can find you some links :)

Edit #1 --

Greyhound Bus Lines from the Bay Street Terminal (a bit of a walk, or a short subway trip) - about $46 CAD roundtrip
http://themegacity.com/transportation/via_greyhound.htm

An Actual tour of Niagara on a bus - Niagara Falls Bus Tours - $88 CAD and up roundtrip depending on the tour type
http://www.torontotours.net/tours/tourType.cfm?ttid2=1006

You could also take the VIA train right from downtown TO to Niagara - about $44 CAD roundtrip (heres the rates and schedule for that)
http://www.infoniagara.com/transportation/tips/train.html

I'd recommend bypassing the tour thing, and doing your own trip. If you wanted a good trip package, the Great Gorge Tours is a good package -
http://www.niagaraparks.com/nfgg/discountpass.php
since you get the Journey Behind the Falls, Maid of the Mist boat ride, White Water Walk and the Butterfly Conservatory -- and since you're taking a bus, this pass includes the 'Ride all day' pass for the People Mover buses and Falls Incline Railway. That tour is about $40, but it saves you good money on doing all the tourist like things while you're there.

Edit #2 --
Also, If you're into shopping, check out the stretch of shops along Queen Street west of Younge Street, Younge street has some good shops around the Eaton Center. Theres also the general touristy things to do in Toronto, like the CN Tower (and there a brewery tour very cheap right beside it for SteamWhistle if you want to learn how beer is brewed, 19+).

Don't know how long you're up here for, but if you want more links or ideas for things to do outside of the Anime Convention (haven't been to one of those in a while *lol*), just let me know and i'll dig up some more stuffs :)

slleipnir
04-27-2007, 10:44 AM
Is that the cheapest way to travel? Hmm, dont think my friends will go for that. I may end up going alone lol. I REALLY want to see it, but we're on sorta a budget haha. We're planning on going to the CN Tower, shopping, and a few other things. We;re only going a week, 3 days of which are the convention. However, if I only get to do one thing there, it's gotta be Niagara Falls.

Thanks for all the info!

Catty1
04-27-2007, 10:51 AM
I'm sure a FEW people there will want to see the Falls. (the tourist area is tacky, but the falls themselves are amazing!)

Maybe several of you could split gas costs and Rent-A Wreck! :)

slleipnir
04-27-2007, 12:41 PM
I honestly don't know that anyone else in my group cares if we go there...I mean I'm sure they'd like to see it but they don't have a ton of money. Also, I dont think any of us are over 25 to rent a car :(

RedHedd
04-27-2007, 12:44 PM
DO go on the Niagara Falls tour package thingie and go on the Maiden of the Mist boat tour - it's SO much fun and worth however much it is. I went a couple of years ago and will never forget it as I slipped and fell and broke my foot just as we were getting on the Maiden of the Mist boats. I was more upset at breaking my camera than my foot and continued with the tour while my foot swelled! :D I ended up taking pics with my cell phone and now have one as my cell phone's "wallpaper." :D

slleipnir
04-27-2007, 12:50 PM
How much does it cost to do the boat thing? that takes you right up to the falls or something?? is there a park or something you go into to look at the falls or whatever? how much is that?

Blue_Frog
04-27-2007, 12:58 PM
How much does it cost to do the boat thing? that takes you right up to the falls or something?? is there a park or something you go into to look at the falls or whatever? how much is that?

http://www.niagaraparks.com/nfgg/discountpass.php
Adults 13+ years $39.95
covers

Journey Behind the Falls
Maid of the Mist *the boat that RedHedd is talking about*
White Water Walk
Butterfly Conservatory
Ride all day on People Mover buses and Falls Incline Railway
The reason that it's a good deal is that the Maid of the Mist is $14 by itself
http://www.niagaraparks.com/nfgg/maidmist.php

cassiesmom
04-27-2007, 01:33 PM
Go see a Blue Jays game (or, if they aren't in town, take the stadium tour)! Go to Eaton Centre ... see what you can of the Art Gallery of Ontario while it is being renovated ... I love Toronto because my sister's former next-door neighbor grew up there and gave an "insider" list of things to see and do the first time we visited.

slleipnir
05-14-2007, 09:44 PM
Do I need to preorder my bus tickets? Also, are there different bus stations that go different places? How far away is the bus station that goes to Niagra Falls from the Double Tree hotel? I'm going next week...getting nervous!

buttercup132
05-14-2007, 10:37 PM
I don't think you have to pre order unless it's a coach bus. But we don't have buses around here so I'm not positive. Have fun though the falls is fun and it should be really nice around here when you come.

Argranade
05-15-2007, 10:11 AM
You should realy check out the bird santuary in Niagra falls,

It's like only $12.00 to get it, you can view SO many beautiful parrots flying free.

Toronto is awsome ... you'll love it!

king2005
05-15-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm going to Toronto in may for an anime convention with a group of friends...I want to go to Niagra Falls while there...I'm not even sure exactly where. The website says "Doubletree International Plaza Hotel, the Toronto Congress Center, and the nearby Renaissance Toronto Airport Hotel"

I'm curious if anyone who lives there knows if buses go from this area to Niagra Falls and how much it is.

OMG I'm going to that too!!!!!!

I must kidnap you, so you can meet my gang :D

slleipnir
05-15-2007, 08:09 PM
Jess: definetly!

king2005
05-16-2007, 12:43 AM
I'll give you my cell # incase you run into any problems out here.. If you get lost, just call my cell & I can google map things for you from work.. or if your stranded, or NEED an out... call me. I can easly get away from work (I just leave & no one will care hehe). I'll also give you my work # when I get to work tomorrow, just incase I do not hear my cell, as its only on vibrate.

dukedogsmom
05-16-2007, 01:12 AM
That is so cool! I'm sure you'll have fun. Will they let you take pics there?

king2005
05-16-2007, 07:27 AM
That is so cool! I'm sure you'll have fun. Will they let you take pics there?

thats a very good question... I think you can, as I haven't heard my friends complain that they cannot & they a camera freaks :D

slleipnir
05-16-2007, 08:18 AM
thats a very good question... I think you can, as I haven't heard my friends complain that they cannot & they a camera freaks :D

At the con? Of course! Everyone takes photos of all the other cosplayers. I hate getting my pic taken

elizabethann
05-16-2007, 08:28 AM
DO go on the Niagara Falls tour package thingie and go on the Maiden of the Mist boat tour - it's SO much fun and worth however much it is. I went a couple of years ago and will never forget it as I slipped and fell and broke my foot just as we were getting on the Maiden of the Mist boats. I was more upset at breaking my camera than my foot and continued with the tour while my foot swelled! :D I ended up taking pics with my cell phone and now have one as my cell phone's "wallpaper." :D

OMG! That's awful!

I loved the Maiden of the Mist. We went during a hot & humid period and that water felt soooooooooooooo good. I also enjoyed the tour Journey Behind the Falls. That was awesome. The Butterfly Conservatory was awesome too.

I LOVED Niagra Falls. One of my best vacations.

Can't wait to see pictures!!

king2005
05-16-2007, 09:28 AM

OUCH!

When I went for the first & only time (last fall), they were doing a body parts rescue from a jumpper 3 days earlier.. ewwww As morbid as it is, we all took photos of the rescue (no gross pics)