PDA

View Full Version : Recall list expands again! More added Fri. 4/27

Prairie Purrs
04-26-2007, 10:35 PM
More foods just added to the endless recall list, via Itchmo (http://www.itchmo.com/):

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Kitten Formula cans
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Puppy Formula cans
Diamond Lamb & Rice Formula cans
Natural Balance Chicken Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
Natural Balance Lamb Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
Natural Balance Beef Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
Natural Balance Ocean Fish Formula Canned Cat Food 3 oz & 6 oz

See posts #7 and #19 below for more additions to the list.

fragrancehound
04-26-2007, 10:40 PM
I was about to post this too!

Natural Balance
Chicken Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
Lamb Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
Beef Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
Ocean Fish Formula Canned Cat Food 3 oz & 6 oz

Diamond Brand Manufacturer/Foods
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Kitten Formula cans
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Puppy Formula cans
Diamond Lamb & Rice Formula cans

Costco's brand
Kirkland Signature Super Premium Chicken and Rice Canned food for Dogs
Kirkland Signature Super Premium Lamb and Rice Canned food for Dogs

Chenango Valley
Lick Your Chops Lamb Meal, Rice & Egg Cat Food in packages with a net weight of 4 lbs. and a code date best used by April 29, 2008.

krazyaboutkatz
04-26-2007, 10:41 PM
I don't use any of these foods but this is horrible. When will it end?:(

I'm very worried that Starr's Hills Prescription food will end up being next because the first ingredient is rice protein. He's on the feline dry Z/D diet and he's been doing very well on it. If this happens I don't know what I'll do.:(

Prairie Purrs
04-26-2007, 10:48 PM
I'd like to see it end with some people in prison. I'd also like to see a regulatory agency with some teeth put in place to oversee the food supply.

Sevaede
04-27-2007, 01:32 AM
Are there any safe foods? :(

Right now, I am not sure what to feeds my furbabies anymore. :(

DrKym
04-27-2007, 02:04 AM
Aren't you glad I feed raw Penny? This is horrific, I feel so badly for so many owners and their pets. Such devastion brought by the almighty dollar :(

Prairie Purrs
04-27-2007, 02:39 AM
Now Blue Buffalo has recalled all their canned food and treats:

All Blue brand can dog foods
All Spa Select brand can cat foods
All Blue Health Bar treats

Again via Itchmo (http://www.itchmo.com/), which is really staying on top of the recall news.

Craftlady
04-27-2007, 04:40 AM
China is getting away with murdering our furbabies. :mad:
Companies will continue to buy wheat and rice from them because it's CHEAP.

boscibo
04-27-2007, 06:53 AM
I am staying away from anything with corn, wheat or rice protein/gluten.

Wellness Core is a grain-free dry, and I've been feeding Merrick and Wellness canned. The Merrick canned, in particular, has been a huge hit with my cats. I had to look around a bit to find a place that sold these brands; places like Petsmart/Petco don't carry them, even. Merrick is available online.

They are expensive. I can't be freaking out about feeding my cats poison though, and I will not trust anything with gluten/protein concentrates no matter what the pet food companies say. At this point I am not trusting them when they say their food is safe...why are more foods being recalled every day? Why didn't they pull them immediately? There should be no more contaminated pet food son the shelf, yet more and more are being recalled every day. The pet food companies are lying to us, and innocent pets are dying.

kb2yjx
04-27-2007, 07:25 AM
TO Starr's Mom: the only food that Hill's recalled was m/d. Imagine my shock when I found out that the Royal Canin's dry Hypoallergenic 23 was pulled because of the rice!! I have 2 cats that eat that along with canned z/d. What bothers me, is it takes so long to find out about what has been recalled. Royal Canin had not informed the vet, nor Agway that carries food of their that was recalled!! Thanks to the people that post here for keeping ALL of us up to date about what is going on!!! Sandra

fragrancehound
04-27-2007, 08:07 AM
I want to scream. My cats have been on 3 different foods in the last 2 months. I am currently feeding them Blue Buffalo dry food but now I am wondering if I should switch them to Felidae? I want to continue giving them a holistic/natural brand but it is getting harder and harder finding a high quality food that is also convenient to buy.

Zippy
04-27-2007, 08:12 AM
What in the world am I going to feed my cats.
Nutro,Natural Blance,Blue Buffilo,and now the food I was going to switch too is recalled.I am switching to Wellness.Pet Promise is what I am feeding right now but it has corn gluten in it.
edit;Went out and got Paul newman's own organic.

fragrancehound
04-27-2007, 08:54 AM
In light of this latest recall what is everyone feeding their cats?
I need to take a trip to the pet store yet again.

sasvermont
04-27-2007, 09:05 AM
I am going to guess that this problem is not new. I suspect there have been years and years of "things" being added to pet food - things not good for them. Think about what they are really being fed from those cans and bags!

My thought is that only organic pet foods can be trusted. As far as I know, they MUST meet the human standard for food. And so now, the human food is being contaminated! I know.

I am going to stick with organic pet food for some time. I also have my cats on a prescription hypoallergic dry food that has no addatives..... I think it is cardboard with jello added....... just kidding. It is very bland and has very little in it. I have added an organic dry food to it to give them a little change.

This is just awful. I wonder what kind of pressure will come to bear when the big companies start having income problems. Many of the tobacco companies own dog food companies as well..... (I think.....don't quote me...)

I have not purchased even treats at this point, for fear that they too will have some nasty chemical it them.

Lizzie
04-27-2007, 09:16 AM
In the case of Natural Balance and Royal Canin, it was the company that makes their food that decided to put in rice protein without approval from or informing the pet food company. Royal Canin have now set up a protocol to ensure that they are sent a list of ingredients and their source for each batch of food made.

I'm still feeding Royal Canin, indoor light to 3 cats, Royal Canin SO to 1 cat, and Avoderm to the rest. This is from the Breeder's Choice/Avoderm website:

"4/18/07 - Breeder’s Choice and its family of brands AvoDerm Natural™, Pinnacle®, Active Care®, Advanced Pet Diets®, and Health Food for Dogs® are NOT involved in any recall. We do not use wheat gluten, rice gluten, or rice protein concentrate in any of our dry or canned dog and cat foods. All ingredients in our foods are from certified sources within the United States, with the exception of the Premium New Zealand Lamb and 3 oz. canned cat foods. We have been making high quality natural pet food in our plant for sixty years."

Now that five pig farms and a chicken farm have been isolated for checks because they fed their animals recalled pet foods, the problem is in the human food chain and we should see even more intensive investigations.

Freedom
04-27-2007, 09:45 AM
How sad. And frustrating.

I am still feeding Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover (and dog Lover for Sugar). I only feed the kibble, not the canned. Their web site says they manufacture all their own dry pet foods. So it should be staying out of this recall mania.

Here is their web site:

http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/

catmandu
04-27-2007, 09:53 AM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggg ggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prairie Purrs
04-27-2007, 10:11 AM
How sad. And frustrating.

I am still feeding Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover (and dog Lover for Sugar). I only feed the kibble, not the canned. Their web site says they manufacture all their own dry pet foods. So it should be staying out of this recall mania.

Here is their web site:

http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/

I recently switched to Chicken Soup dry, but white rice is listed as an ingredient. Because of the piecemeal way in which companies have been recalling products, I'm going to find something else.

Prairie Purrs
04-27-2007, 12:38 PM
Add Harmony Farms to the recall:

All Harmony Farms canned dog foods
All Harmony Farms canned cat foods
All Harmony Farms Health Bar biscuits

Sounds like anyone that uses American Nutrition, Inc. as a manufacturer will/should be recalling their canned food because ANI was supposedly adding rice protein concentrate to foods without authorization.

I recommend that everyone check Itchmo (http://www.itchmo.com/) several times a day. The news media seems to have lost interest in keeping everyone up to date.

fragrancehound
04-27-2007, 01:08 PM
How do we find out which pet food brands use ANI for their wet foods or even their dry foods?

Craftlady
04-27-2007, 01:20 PM
How do we find out which pet food brands use ANI for their wet foods or even their dry foods?

Answer to your question, unfortunately, when they get recalled. :(

Below is what I found on ANI's site, like I said above when they get recalled seems to run true in this companies case.

The corporate headquarters for American Nutrition is in Ogden, where 50% of the company tonnage is produced. Southwest Pet (a Phoenix subsidiary) produces 20% and Northwest Pet (a Woodland, Washington subsidiary) produces 30%. Products include contract manufacturing of pet foods, private label pet foods, as well as the formulation, preparation, packaging, and shipping of American Nutrition’s own brands. ANI also produces premium, biodegradable cat litter.

Lizzie
04-27-2007, 01:21 PM
This from Blue Buffalo:

Due to a product-tampering incident, I regret to inform you that we are
recalling all BLUE dog can products, Spa Select cat can products and BLUE
Health Bars effective immediately. It is extremely difficult for us to make
this announcement as we spoke with many of you last week, before this
tampering incident was known, and assured you that only one production run
of Spa Select kitten dry food was unfit for consumption.

The product tampering came to our attention when American Nutrition, Inc.
(ANI), the manufacturer of our canned dog and cat foods and biscuits,
informed us that they had been adding rice protein concentrate to our canned
formulas without our knowledge or approval. Apparently this has been going
on for some time, and ANI only chose to inform us when the FDA began an
investigation of their rice protein concentrate supplies.

While this activity by ANI is in itself unlawful, the situation is further
complicated by the fact that ANI has been receiving rice protein concentrate
contaminated with melamine from Wilbur-Ellis.

So while no BLUE or Spa Select canned product has tested positive for the
presence of the melamine, and there have been no reported illnesses from our
canned foods, we have lost all confidence in the honesty and integrity of
ANI, and the products that they manufacture.

For this reason, we have decided to remove all of our canned foods and
biscuits from the retail market. While this may seem to some as a major
over-reaction, the Blue Buffalo Company was founded on the principle of
providing the highest quality and most nutritious pet foods available to our
pet parents. Anything less is not acceptable.

The obvious question is how could Blue Buffalo not know that ANI was
altering the formulas by putting in an ingredient such as rice protein
concentrate. The simple answer is we trusted ANI as a partner. They
deliberately deceived us and betrayed our trust.

In the end, it all comes down to integrity. ANI has not been honest with us
or with pet parents who trust BLUE, so we are going to temporarily stop the
production and sale of all cans and biscuits until we can provide you with
products that are exactly what we say they are.

Lizzie
04-27-2007, 01:26 PM
I don't know if anyone has posted this since there are many threads on the recalled food subject, but it comes from the VetPet Digest:

The AVMA website has a list that seems easy to navigate. It's updated
daily, although I don't see the Blue Buffalo foods on it yet (the ones that
were just pulled).

AVMA food recall page:
http://www.avma.org/aa/menufoodsrecall/default.asp

AVMA list of recalled foods page:
http://www.avma.org/aa/menufoodsrecall/products.asp

Another site, where they are keeping track of the pet foods that have NOT
been recalled is here:

http://www.thepetfoodlist.com

Craftlady
04-27-2007, 01:31 PM
I know I've read on other sites/articles this chineses company says "there is no problem" BS
China wont let FDA inspectors have visa's to come in and inspect. If there wasnt a problem then why not let them in the country? They are so wrong. :(

Wilbur-Ellis Voluntarily Recalls Rice Protein Concentrate

SAN FRANCISCO – April 18, 2007 – Wilbur-Ellis Company is voluntarily recalling all lots of the rice protein concentrate the San Francisco company’s Feed Division has shipped to pet-food manufacturers because of a risk that rice protein concentrate may have been contaminated by melamine, an industrial chemical used to make plastics and fertilizers that can lead to illness or fatalities in animals if consumed.

Wilbur-Ellis noted that it obtained rice protein from a single source in China and shipped to a total of five U.S. pet-food manufacturers located in Utah, N.Y., Kansas and two in Missouri.

Last Sunday, April 15, Wilbur-Ellis notified the U.S. Food and Drug Administration that a single bag in a recent shipment of rice protein concentrate from its Chinese supplier, Binzhou Futian Biology Technology Co. Ltd., had tested positive for melamine. Unlike the other white-colored bags in that shipment, the bag in question was pink and had the word “melamine” stenciled upon it. Wilbur-Ellis separated that bag and quarantined the entire shipment for further testing and since that time, no further deliveries of rice protein concentrate have been made. Samples from the white bags tested negative for melamine. However, subsequent and potentially more sensitive tests by the FDA came back positive for melamine, leading Wilbur-Ellis to voluntarily issue the recall.

Wilbur-Ellis began importing rice protein concentrate from Binzhou Futian Biology Technology in July 2006. A total of 14 containers holding 336 metric tons of rice protein concentrate were sent from Futian to Wilbur-Ellis. Wilbur-Ellis has distributed 155 metric tons to date.

On Monday (April 16), a pet food distributor issued a voluntary recall of its pet food, believing the source of contamination to be rice protein concentrate supplied by Wilbur-Ellis. As an additional precaution, Wilbur-Ellis is urging all pet food manufacturers using rice protein concentrate supplied through Wilbur-Ellis to recall any pet food that may be on supermarket shelves.

Consumers with questions about the pet food they use should visit the FDA Web site at www.fda.gov.

Lizzie
04-27-2007, 02:04 PM
The Chinese government gave approval for travel into China to the FDA inspectors earlier this week. They must have been under tremendous pressure - and dragging their feet must have given the malign companies that tainted the food some time to clean things up.

Craftlady
04-27-2007, 02:17 PM
The Chinese government gave approval for travel into China to the FDA inspectors earlier this week. They must have been under tremendous pressure - and dragging their feet must have given the malign companies that tainted the food some time to clean things up.

Totally agree now they are squeeky clean. Glad the FDA was given visa's but it's little to late :(

fragrancehound
04-27-2007, 04:19 PM
Why hasn't this whole situation made more news? The media covered more of Anna Nicole's death than they have covered this entire recall mess. :mad:

Catlady711
04-27-2007, 05:18 PM
TO Starr's Mom: the only food that Hill's recalled was m/d. Imagine my shock when I found out that the Royal Canin's dry Hypoallergenic 23 was pulled because of the rice!! I have 2 cats that eat that along with canned z/d. What bothers me, is it takes so long to find out about what has been recalled. Royal Canin had not informed the vet, nor Agway that carries food of their that was recalled!! Thanks to the people that post here for keeping ALL of us up to date about what is going on!!! Sandra

I don't know why your vet didn't recieve notice from Royal Canin. We got a fax from them, and they even voulunteered to pay for the lab work for concerned pet owners. Does your vet keep up his contact info with his food suppliers and the AVMA??

As to many of these recalls, mostly they concern the canned and pouch (which I've never liked pouch foods anyways, too much salt & preservatives) anyways, only a few are recalling dry food.

Many of these companies are pulling foods not because of any ACTUAL problem but as a PRECAUTION against any potential law suit happy pet owners.

I am feeding Hills Science Diet (Dry & some canned, no chunks) and Royal Canin Veterinary Diet (but not the recalled ones. I have had no problems and have no intentions of switching foods.

Out of our client base, we've only had a dozen kidney issues since this whole recall thing started, and in all the cases it was not caused by the food, but other health/age related issues. We only had one client with a sick cat that wanted lab work out of concern for the food, and the cat tested normally and the food she was feeding was not on the recall list past or present.

I don't know if we are just fortunate to not have been involved in shippments of the suspected foods, or if my instinct is correct that companies are getting jumpy and pulling food out of fear of being sued.

JMHO

phesina
04-27-2007, 07:45 PM
KAK, as far as I know, Hills Prescription Z/D is (still) okay. However, here's a perhaps cautionary tale.. last week a local vet called our cat shelter and told us that a cat patient of hers that had just been started on Z/D went into kidney failure.

I don't know if this means that Z/D might be contaminated also or if it was a reaction of this one cat due to other factors. The Hills company has not recalled it, and we have heard of no other incidents anywhere involving Z/D.

However, we aren't taking chances. One of our cats has been on Z/D (both dry and wet) for a long time and has done well with it, but we immediately took her off it and got rid of all our Z/D. She is now getting Royal Canin SO until we know more. Some of the other cats have been getting SO for a while, and while some Royal Canin products have been recalled, SO is still supposedly okay. (And how many times have we thought that about how many foods?)

KAK, I apologize for being the bearer of such alarming news, but you might want to run this by Starr's vet. This was just one vet here talking about one cat, but I guess we should all be on the alert.

My own cats are finishing up the food we have here, which none of them seems to have had trouble with, but after it's gone I don't know what I'll get them.

The itchko and AVMA sites look like good resources to check regularly.

Best wishes to KAK and all of us for keeping all our babies healthy.

Pat

I don't use any of these foods but this is horrible. When will it end?:(

I'm very worried that Starr's Hills Prescription food will end up being next because the first ingredient is rice protein. He's on the feline dry Z/D diet and he's been doing very well on it. If this happens I don't know what I'll do.:(

krazyaboutkatz
04-28-2007, 01:13 AM
[QUOTE=phesina]KAK, as far as I know, Hills Prescription Z/D is (still) okay. However, here's a perhaps cautionary tale.. last week a local vet called our cat shelter and told us that a cat patient of hers that had just been started on Z/D went into kidney failure.

I don't know if this means that Z/D might be contaminated also or if it was a reaction of this one cat due to other factors. The Hills company has not recalled it, and we have heard of no other incidents anywhere involving Z/D.

However, we aren't taking chances. One of our cats has been on Z/D (both dry and wet) for a long time and has done well with it, but we immediately took her off it and got rid of all our Z/D. She is now getting Royal Canin SO until we know more. Some of the other cats have been getting SO for a while, and while some Royal Canin products have been recalled, SO is still supposedly okay. (And how many times have we thought that about how many foods?)

Thanks for letting me know about this. Starr saw the vet on Sunday and so far the Hills Z/D is safe.

Here's what I saw on Hill's Website:
April 18 - Update: Hill's products not affected by rice protein concentrate recall.
On April 17 the FDA announced a further pet food recall associated with melamine contaminant, reportedly from a supplier of rice protein concentrate. No Hill's products are affected by this recall.

While Hill's uses rice protein concentrate in 4 of its products, we do not use the supplier involved with the recall.

Hill's has tested its ingredients and these tests show no melamine is present in the rice protein concentrate that it uses.

Q. Do any Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc. products contain rice protein concentrate?
A. Yes. Four Hill's products contain rice protein concentrate; however, none contain rice protein concentrate from the supplier associated with this recent recall.

The four Hill's products that contain rice protein concentrate AND ARE NOT affected by recent recall announcements:

Prescription Diet ® z/d® Feline Dry
Prescription Diet ® k/d® Canine canned
Science Diet® Lamb Meal and Rice Recipe Puppy Large Breed
Prescription Diet® h/d® Canine Dry
Hill's has tested its ingredients and these tests show no melamine is present in the rice protein concentrate used in our products.

Q. How do you know Hill's rice protein concentrate is safe?
A. Upon immediately learning about the presence of melamine in another supplier's rice protein concentrate, we tested our ingredients and have confirmed that the rice protein concentrate ingredient from Hill's suppliers do not contain melamine.

Q. Where does Hill's Pet Nutrition Inc. get its rice protein concentrate?
A. Hill's uses two suppliers, neither of which are involved in this rice protein concentrate recall.

Q. What is rice protein concentrate, and why is it used in pet food?
A. Rice protein concentrate is the product remaining after starch has been washed away from rice. It is a commonly used protein ingredient in various pet food products.

krazyaboutkatz
04-28-2007, 01:15 AM
Right now I'm feeding 3 of my cats Felidae Chicken & Rice dry and wet food, 2 of my cats Royal Canin Urinary S/O dry and wet, and 1 Hills Presciption Z/D dry food. So far so good and I hope it stays that way.:)

Catlady711
04-30-2007, 01:03 PM
Don't know if anyone has already posted this most recent recall or not.

AVMA food recall breaking news (http://www.avma.org/aa/menufoodsrecall/breaking_news_070430_pf.asp)

Breaking news
April 30, 2007 (updated 10:00 am CDT)
Additional recalls issued for Blue Buffalo, Canine Caviar, Harmony Farms, Kirkland, Mulligan Stew, and Natural Balance

The Denver office of the FDA informed American Nutrition, Inc. that certain samples of rice protein shipped to its production facility have been contaminated with melamine, an industrial chemical used to make plastics and fertilizers that may be harmful to animals if consumed. The rice protein in question was obtained from San Francisco-based Wilbur-Ellis Company.

The FDA has urged American Nutrition to issue a voluntary recall of pet foods manufactured using Wilbur-Ellis rice protein. None of these products is sold under an American Nutrition brand, but are sold through other independent companies. No American Nutrition brands or other products they manufacture for other businesses are affected by this recall.

The products subject to this recall are as follows:

CANNED CAT FOOD
Blue Buffalo Spa Select Hairball Control Oven Roasted Chicken 3oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
Blue Buffalo Spa Select Kitten Recipe Oven Roasted Chicken 3oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul Kitten Formula 5.5oz 15 AUG 08 15 APR 09
Harmony Farms Country Chicken Entrée 3oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
Natural Balance Ocean Fish Formula 3oz and 6 oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10

CANNED DOG FOOD
Blue Buffalo Beef Dinner 12.5oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
Blue Buffalo Chicken Dinner 12.5oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
Blue Buffalo Hearty Venison Dinner 12.5oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
Blue Buffalo Lamb Dinner 12.5oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
Blue Buffalo Salmon Dinner 12.5oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
Blue Buffalo Turkey Meatloaf Dinner 12.5oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
Canine Caviar Gourmet Beaver 13.2oz AUG 21 08 APR 15 09
Canine Caviar Gourmet Turkey 13.2oz AUG 21 08 APR 15 09
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul Puppy Formula 13oz 21 AUG 08 15 APR 09
Diamond Lamb & Rice 13oz 21 AUG 09 15 APR 10
Harmony Farms Beef 12.5oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
Harmony Farms Chicken 12.5oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
Harmony Farms Lamb 12.5oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
Harmony Farms Salmon 12.5oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
Kirkland Signature Premium Dog 2-Flavor Variety Pack 14oz (24-pack) AUG 21 08 APR 15 09
Mulligan Stew Chicken 13.2oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
Mulligan Stew Turkey 13.2oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
Natural Balance Beef Formula 13oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
Natural Balance Chicken Formula 13oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
Natural Balance Lamb Formula 13oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
Natural Balance Venison & Brown Rice 13oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10

BAKED DOG TREATS
Natural Balance Venison & Brown Rice Formula Baked Dog Treats 14oz AUG 21 07 APR 15 08
Blue Buffalo Health Bars Baked With Apples & Yogurt Dog Treats 20oz AUG 21 07 APR 15 08

Pet owners who purchased these pet foods should immediately discontinue using the products and return unused portions to the place of purchase for a full refund.