PDA

View Full Version : Which is safer??

*iluvskipper*
04-24-2007, 05:16 PM
I heard that tanning salons' tanning beds are supposed to be safer than tanning outdoors. Is that true?

catnapper
04-24-2007, 05:21 PM
I guess thats somewhat true.... but think of it this way: Which is safer, running across train tracks with a train coming or running across a highway with cars coming. Both are equally dangerous and utterly unneccesary.

*iluvskipper*
04-24-2007, 05:51 PM
Well yeah but in what ways is it safer?

cassiesmom
04-24-2007, 05:56 PM
It's not true. The ultraviolet radiation from tanning salon lights is more intense than natural ultraviolet radiation from the sun. There is increased incidence of melanoma (the most lethal form of skin cancer) in people who use tanning salons.

RedHedd
04-24-2007, 06:18 PM
I heard that tanning salons' tanning beds are supposed to be safer than tanning outdoors. Is that true?
Depends on how quickly you want to get skin cancer. :rolleyes:

Sirrahsim
04-24-2007, 06:21 PM
Both can give you skin cancer - tanning beds just give you cancer faster :rolleyes:

caseysmom
04-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Hey guys this is a young person asking for advice, she is smart enough to ask us so hey whats with the rolley eyes?

Karen
04-24-2007, 07:00 PM
Neither is "safe," despite what the tanning salons would have you believe. Both cause skin damage, will age your skin prematurely, and can cause bigger problems in the long run. People I know who "tanned" when we were younger all seem to look older than me, who never bothered because it wasn't gonna work anyway, I just burned in the sun.

slick
04-24-2007, 07:55 PM
First of all, I applaude you for asking the question before rushing out. It's a smart thing to do.

I work for the cancer society and I can tell you straight up that neither is safe and they both give you skin cancer.

My Dad (RIP) had skin cancer all his life just from gardening outdoors with no shirt on. He had bits of his ear missing in later life.

My Mom now has skin cancer and has to go every now and again to get spots removed. Not a pleasant process.

I had a friend years back who swore by tanning salons and got skin cancer from it.

Am I trying to scare you?? Yes indeed. It's all over the media and every where you look. Why doesn't anyone get the message????

No rolleyes here. Just the facts, ma'am.

buttercup132
04-24-2007, 08:07 PM
Hey guys this is a young person asking for advice, she is smart enough to ask us so hey whats with the rolley eyes?Ya, and if she is like most other teens I'm sure she is care free and dosent really care to think abuot getting cancers right now. So whats the point in saying that. We are all well aware that you can get cancer from tanning.

Karen
04-24-2007, 08:16 PM
Just because she is a teenager doesn't mean she shouldn't think about it, whether or not she wants to. One of the lifeguards at my town pond got skin cancer when he was 17. And Paul's aunt died of skin cancer - it's not all "easily removed."

Lady's Human
04-24-2007, 08:17 PM
If everyone was well aware that you can get cancer and other skin problems from tanning salons I doubt there would be as many in business as there are.

buttercup132
04-24-2007, 08:18 PM
If everyone was well aware that you can get cancer and other skin problems from tanning salons I doubt there would be as many in business as there are.Most people just dont care, they care more about their looks for the now then the later on.

DrKym
04-24-2007, 08:19 PM
Coco-bean works for a salon and has alot of good information both positive and negative. PM her and ask.

Catty1
04-24-2007, 08:51 PM
My dad flew smaller aircraft and worked in the garden - without a brimmed hat, just a peaked cap.

He got skin cancer - malignant melanoma. We were told that he could have had heavy exposure to sun 20 years before (we were in New Zealand and Fiji at that time, go figure), and it erupted years, even decades later.

By the time this type appears, it is already through your system. Thank God he had a really good life - but it went to his liver, and took him from us when he was only 67.

I still see some really tanned people - the leathery look - and I can honestly say I feel repelled and sick at the sight. Not trendy or 'healthy' looking at all.

(packs up soapbox and walks away....)

wombat2u2004
04-24-2007, 09:13 PM
My dad flew smaller aircraft and worked in the garden - without a brimmed hat, just a peaked cap.

He got skin cancer - malignant melanoma. We were told that he could have had heavy exposure to sun 20 years before (we were in New Zealand and Fiji at that time, go figure), and it erupted years, even decades later.

By the time this type appears, it is already through your system. Thank God he had a really good life - but it went to his liver, and took him from us when he was only 67.

I still see some really tanned people - the leathery look - and I can honestly say I feel repelled and sick at the sight. Not trendy or 'healthy' looking at all.

(packs up soapbox and walks away....)

Exactly the same happened to my dad. He used to always wear shorts and his legs were always quite suntanned....and where did the melanoma start ??? On the side of his leg. He left us when he was 73. But yeah....the sun downunder is particularly harsh.
Wom