PDA

View Full Version : Bella helps the birdies.....err, well sort of :)

Pam
04-24-2007, 04:28 PM
A couple of weeks ago I posted a thread that we had a Mama bird starting to build a nest right above our living room window. She had found a tiny slit where the siding from the house met the siding from the under part of the window and worked her way in. :p Anyway, she has been very busy. :) I have no idea if the babies have hatched but the sight from outside is very impressive. She is dragging twigs that are over a foot long into the nest! While outside the other day, I noticed something white in her nest. Then I saw some more on the ground below the nest. As I looked further, I realized it was Bella's fur! LOL! When I groom her I vacuum all of her fur but I go outside and shake off my grooming smock and also she goes outside and shakes so some of her fur is often floating around my yard. :) Apparently Mrs. Bird has found and gathered some of Bella's fur and it is helping to keep her little babies warm. I am attaching a couple of photos. I wish they were better, but you can get the idea. The white stuff in the nest is Bella's fur. :cool: After the activity in the nest has subsided hubby will go out and make repairs. Ripley is hoping that we will find some of his fur in the nest. :p

cassiesmom
04-24-2007, 04:44 PM
Gee, Bella! If your loose fur keeps the baby birds warm and safe, I'd say that is a good thing. Ripley, I hope the mother bird uses some of your fur in the nest too.

Edwina's Secretary
04-24-2007, 06:56 PM
We always groom the Es outside and leave the fur for the birds.....

Bella and Ripley are so thoughtful. I be that curly hair is extra insulating!

Daisy and Delilah
04-24-2007, 10:25 PM
That is so cool, Pam!! Bella's fur warms the little tiny baby birds. What a great story and pictures. I know Bella is so proud of herself and I hope Ripley finds some of his fur too :)

DrKym
04-24-2007, 11:20 PM
YAY bella Poodles ROCK!

Give them a few extra cuddles from me please?

caseysmom
04-24-2007, 11:21 PM
That is so funny....how snuggly for the birdies...poodle fur :D

K9karen
04-24-2007, 11:27 PM
Awww. Pam, that's so sweet! My guess is that some lucky Glenside birdies are having a heyday with Klo hair!! I honestly didn't think they would take dog hair, so that's good to know!

Ginger's Mom
04-25-2007, 05:52 AM
Wow, what lucky birdies, a Bella-fur lined nest. That sounds like one smart momma bird. Good girl Bella, I bet next year your yard will be the most popular spot for nesting (which means they will need some of your fur too, Ripley ;) ).

pitc9
04-25-2007, 07:19 AM
The mamma birdie thanks you for your donation Bella!

Every Spring birds come from near and far to collect the pounds and pounds of dog fur from my yard. :rolleyes:

The baby birds of Northeast Ohio are ALL warm because of Buddy and Sierra hair! :p

When I'm outside brushing them, the birds start to chirp, just waiting for us to go inside then they all swarm to the ground and there are birds flying away with beaks full of fur! I love it!
I always tell my pups that the birdies say "Thank You"

Freedom
04-25-2007, 08:00 AM
Around here, we are advised to leave the lint from cleaning the dryer trap, and any brushings of fur from pets, outdoors for nesting materials.

Bella, your coat is being recycled! You sure are a "green" poodle, he he.

Mom, ya may want to mark that spot and repair the siding once the babies birds are off to live their lives.

Logan
04-25-2007, 01:52 PM
Pam, don't you know that that fur is the perfect thing for a nest? Every time I brush Honey, outdoors, I let the piles of fur fly. I can only hope that some little bird has taken that beautiful blonde fur and cushioned their nest with it!

Good job, Bella!!! :)

Logan

Kfamr
04-27-2007, 02:18 PM
That's so funny...

I found Nala's fur in a mocking bird's nest after I used the furminator on her outside. :D

Randi
04-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Pam, that's great that the birdies can use Bella's fur for their nest. I had no idea they collected that, but of course it's perfect for a nest. :)

Pam
04-27-2007, 04:34 PM
I can't wait until the activity at the nest stops. I am dying to see the entire nest. :)

Karen
04-27-2007, 05:23 PM
Yup - when Miss Hoppy is doing "the big shed" I pet her outside, so all the baby birdies in the neighborhood can have nests lined with the softest bunny fur ...

beeniesmom
04-27-2007, 06:31 PM
How cool!
I used to groom my poodles outside too.
Now I have a warm and fuzzy feeling inside that the flyaway fur may have managed to find it's way in a birds next! :)

sasvermont
04-27-2007, 06:50 PM
I groomed Cinnamon the other day and took my towels outside to let the fur fly. I did it to allow the birdies to use it. I am sure they will. Cinnamon insisted anyway!

=^..^=

Bella, you are sweet to allow your neighbor birdies to use your excess fur too!

Killearn Kitties
04-28-2007, 03:50 AM
That is a luxury nest those birdies have there. :D Good job Bella.

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-28-2007, 06:43 AM
That is a luxury nest those birdies have there.

Yes... i would say so too!!!!!

How generous of you Bella!!! :)

Pam
04-29-2007, 06:21 AM
Well the fur is overflowing out of the nest as you will see in the picture below. Yesterday I groomed Bella and for a crazy minute though of leaving all of her fur on the ground underneath the nest. Then I thought if it got windy the neighbors might not like white poodle fur all stuck in their bushes. :p

I have now found out that there is yet another nest in the rhododendren in view of the front window as well. As you can see from the picture below, Andy has a front row seat. The dogs are interested but not in the same way that the cats are. :)

RobiLee
04-29-2007, 06:34 AM
Such a nice way for Bella to help out those birdies. Way to go! I think those are some lucky birds.