PDA

View Full Version : Can cats eat...

buttercup132
04-24-2007, 07:36 AM
Smelt
Sardenes
and Salmon?
But just the raw kind like fresh nothign added to them and just give them it? I read sarenes and Salmon are alright.

Laura's Babies
04-24-2007, 07:48 AM
I think we will all be looking for other food sources for our babies with all this recall mess going on....

catnapper
04-24-2007, 07:55 AM
hmmmmm... I know raw salmon will kill any dog. It has a toxic bacteria on it. I wonder if the same bacteria is toxic to cats. Once salmon is cooked, its perfectly fine for dogs to eat.,

buttercup132
04-24-2007, 01:50 PM
Hmm I read that the salmon juice is good and gives them some kind of vitamin.

Crazy-Cat-Lover
04-24-2007, 04:29 PM
According to the information below, feeding cooked fish is safer. You can feed it raw, just not excessive amounts of it. The oils of the fish are great for your kitties coat. They contain omega 3 & 6 fatty acids.

Is feeding raw fish to cats safe?

Feeding excessive amounts of raw fish to cats may be detrimental because it contains thiaminase. Thiaminases are enzymes which break down Thiamin (Vitamin B1). However thiaminases are destroyed in the cooking process. As Burns is an extruded food this is not something that would harm the cat.

If oily fish is fed excessively then the cat may become deficient in Vitamin E. Vitamin E is used up when the oils begin to go rancid.

catmandu
04-24-2007, 05:39 PM
I give the Found Cats salmon and tuna from the tin and they love it.
I would be more creaful with say raw fish that you would get at a fish market, that I would cook to be on the safe side.
I have taken raw fish and cooked it and the Found Cats are indifferent but the Porchies love it.

kt_luvs_kitties
04-24-2007, 09:03 PM
You can give it fresh, but throughly wash it. Not too much, as I am sure you know.
I give mine the pink salmon and sardines out of the cans. They love it!

Edwina's Secretary
04-24-2007, 09:17 PM
My brother-in-law offered Edwina and Eddie the head of some fish he was preparing once....

They turned both noses up! Fish heads indeed.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Canned tuna -- low sodium -- packed in water....and it had better not be house brand! Starkiss -- maybe....Chicken of the Sea preferred! :D

DrKym
04-24-2007, 11:08 PM
hmmmmm... I know raw salmon will kill any dog. It has a toxic bacteria on it. I wonder if the same bacteria is toxic to cats. Once salmon is cooked, its perfectly fine for dogs to eat.,

Mine eat raw salmon weekly have for years...........any link for this info?

DrKym
04-24-2007, 11:10 PM
Buttercup, any fish that is deemed fit for human consumption can safely be fed to cats. On the weight to fat ratios. Some fish are fattier than others.

Nothing smoked, processed or salted for your kitties.

CultureJunky
04-25-2007, 05:43 AM
I've never given Jack or Sunny raw fish and I don't think i would personally. They have tuna and salmon from a tin but it's cooked human food obviously. Jack sometimes has haddock but that's my own cooked meal never raw.
He absolutely loves Haddock, that's his favourite, I'm sure that'd be a hit with your babies!

TopCat3
04-25-2007, 07:06 AM
I've never given Jack or Sunny raw fish and I don't think i would personally. They have tuna and salmon from a tin but it's cooked human food obviously. Jack sometimes has haddock but that's my own cooked meal never raw.
He absolutely loves Haddock, that's his favourite, I'm sure that'd be a hit with your babies!

and you have ...what...kibble on those nights?

;)

TopCat3
04-25-2007, 07:15 AM
My girls love tinned pink salmon. Whichever one is on offer provided it is not high sodium. They also like sardines in springwater, in preference to the ones in oil. Sometimes they have tinned mackerel, when I can bear dealing with the oil and the smell...they don't seem to like "human" tuna but they like all the Fancy Feast etc tuna-based varieties. I won't feed them anything with colour or artificial flavour. Over here the No Frills varieties (homebrand) of cat pilchards are really nice, whole or big chunks in jelly with no added colours/flavours, for in-between days for me to keep on budget. They like it all :p

I manage quite well myself on dry crusts and boiled water, with what money's left over. ;)

mrspunkysmom
04-25-2007, 08:17 PM
I have heard several times not to feed tuna to cats, but I have given mine the white tuna and even albacore over the years. The critters know the difference between the cheap tuna and the good stuff.

Anne

CultureJunky
04-26-2007, 03:02 AM
and you have ...what...kibble on those nights?

;)

Lol almost! They don't have it too often more of a treat but well if there is Haddock being cooked in the vacinity well Jack just camps by the cooker and is like a cat possessed until I give in and share!
But of course I don't mind :D

Kfamr
04-26-2007, 03:48 AM
Raw salmon is okay, it just has to be frozen a few weeks prior to feeding to be sure to kill any bacteria/flukes.

I freeze any raw meat atleast a month (usually longer) before feeding. My dogs eat Trout regularly and have also eaten red fish.

Sardines, Mackerel, Herring, and Tilipia are some others that are okay. :)

Hmm. Never heard of that one! A link with this info, please!