PDA

View Full Version : A question of poop.

ChrisH
04-24-2007, 04:52 AM
I love my dog, really, but there is one, or rather more than one, thing he does that makes me mad, has done for over eight years.

He does three or more lots of poop a day. Sometimes two at the same time, one on the yard and then goes down the garden and does another one. We are not talking little here either.

Perfect example was today. One on the yard from last night (I don't pick up by moonlight), picked it up whilst he was down the garden. He pooped down there, called him in but he had to stop and poop in the yard first!

So there it is, three pick ups, three poop bags and three times stooping down putting a strain on my already painful back.

Might even be an encore later. Grrrrrr

Canis-Lupess
04-24-2007, 06:50 AM
Have a look at his diet because a food intolerance or allergy can cause more poop in comparison than what seems to go in and also diets high in fibre can cause more poop.

Maybe a change in diet might help sort it out. How often a day do you feed him?

pitc9
04-24-2007, 07:09 AM
Wow, that IS a lot of poop!

Is it firm poo?

sasvermont
04-24-2007, 08:16 AM
I would see about giving him a low output diet! :eek: He's a little factory! Maybe their is a market for dog poop!

:D

ChrisH
04-24-2007, 08:23 AM
pic9 - Yes, normal firm poop.

Canis-Lupess - In answer to your questions. At the moment I feed him once a day but until just recently he was fed the same amount of food split into twice a day. I feed him a good quality chicken and rice food for older dogs.

I must emphasise he has been this way since a puppy (he will be nine in July). Change his food, amount, feeding times, what-have-you, makes no difference. He just has to split the results into two or three.

Canis-Lupess
04-24-2007, 10:07 AM
Ah. I feed mine two smaller meals a day as opposed to one bigger one. It is better for their digestive system as well. Still, my current dog only poos twice or maybe three times a day but she can often empty part of her bowels in one place and then do another a short time later somewhere else.
Her mother didn't do this and only relieved her bowels twice a day to coincide with her meals. They are all different, I suppose.

Some people have to poo twice a day, others once a day and some every other day, all of which is normal but just variation.
If the amount of poo your dog produced concerns you, maybe get him checked by a vet to be sure there isn't any minor health issue causing it. I doubt it would be something overly serious being as it is a lifelong problem.
Also, when she was younger, my current dog couldn't even eat a bit of chicken without getting severe diarrhea. She couldn't have meat at all. She is able to have some now but it just goes to show that even chicken and rice can cause problems in dogs. Everyone sees chicken and rice to be the diet that cannot cause any digestive upsets...ever!!!!
Also, if it is a complete meal, there could be some other ingredient added that might be disagreeing with him.