PDA

View Full Version : One square will save the world?

momoffuzzyfaces
04-23-2007, 04:08 PM
I thought I'd heard about everything in my life but I was wrong. According to Cheryl Crow, using only one square of toilet paper when you go to the bathroom will help save the world and stop global warming.

Ok, I'm all for conserving our paper products but HEY! TREES GROW BACK!!!

Please, keep your nose out of my bathroom habits.

BUT if you really want to save toilet paper, when you do #1 you could just drip dry!!! :p :rolleyes: :D :D :D :D

wombat2u2004
04-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Is anyone really convinced here that Global Warming is man made ????
Wom

lizbud
04-23-2007, 04:50 PM
BUT if you really want to save toilet paper, when you do #1 you could just drip dry!!! :p :rolleyes: :D :D :D :D [/B][/COLOR]

No thanks Moff. Tried that when I've found myself in a stall with no paper. :p

Cinder & Smoke
04-23-2007, 05:01 PM

:confused:

Do you have any other suspects in mind?

Kinda hard to blame it on the Animals!

/s/ :( Phred

momoffuzzyfaces
04-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Wom
Not me but then again, I believe in Bible prophecy.
The 4 horsemen have saddled up!!! ;)

Cinder & Smoke
04-23-2007, 05:05 PM

Kinda hard to blame it on the Animals.

Randi
04-23-2007, 05:06 PM
I don’t believe it’s totally man made, but we certainly have something to do with it for sure!

It seems that some people start realising how serious this is, but I think it’s a bit late!

The ice is melting twice as fast as previous thought, since 1979 the melted ice is twice the size of Texas, or 5 times the size of United Kingdom! Just imagine that!

Emissions from planes are said to double in the next 25 years.

If the sea level continue to rise at the level they predict, the city of Miami will be 5 miles offshore - and 50 million people would be displaced within 50 years!

The question is, what do we all do about it?

dukedogsmom
04-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Time to move out of Florida!

catland
04-23-2007, 07:02 PM
The world will be just fine. (It was just fine for the 4.5 billion years before we arrived on the scene).

Sure, some species will be extinct, but others will flourish. Miami may be in the ocean, so people who currently own the less desirable inland properties will be able to have beach-front condos! :rolleyes:

What seems to be ignored is what I consider to be the real problem -that there are only a finite number of resources to support a finite number of organisms. As long as we humans continue to over-populate this planet, the other species will be crowded out. A global effort at human birth control would go a long ways to helping insure that there is enough resources for all living creatures on this planet.

Edwina's Secretary
04-23-2007, 07:28 PM
There are people who do not believe we are over-populating the world with too many consuming too much while creating too much waste?

Doesn't surprise me. There are people who do not believe in evolution.

There are people who do not believe in the Holocaust.

We have begun changing our lightbulbs, recycling, walking to do our errands, and anything else we can to reduce our contribution.

I don't have any kids to worry about...but it seems a shame to waste such a nice planet....

wombat2u2004
04-23-2007, 07:50 PM

Kinda hard to blame it on the Animals!

Hmmmmmmmm.....how about global warming is just a natural occurence ???
Wom

wombat2u2004
04-23-2007, 07:58 PM
It snowed here in Armidale last November .
Now how could that be ???? November is summer for us.
It also snowed in Armidale in November 1923.
Global warming ????
Wom

Catty1
04-23-2007, 08:41 PM
A slogan I love: "Save the Earth - it's the only planet with chocolate." :D

Marigold2
04-23-2007, 09:52 PM
I will do what ever it takes to save this beautiful planet. As humans we do not have a right to destroy this pecious world. Planet Earth does not belong to us anymore then it does to the smallest creature. It belongs to every specious equally. Wether fish or foul we all call this wonderful place home, it is the only home we have. For me to be selfish and say I won't do this or that to save this planet is so sad and dooms every living creature. Time to stop thinking of our own comfort and wants and to look in the faces of the polar bears who are starving because of global warming. We made this mess, we are the only creature to pollute this planet and we are the only creature who can fix it.

wombat2u2004
04-23-2007, 10:34 PM
A slogan I love: "Save the Earth - it's the only planet with chocolate." :D

Well that's gotta be worth much consideration !!! I love chocolate. :cool:
Wom

slick
04-23-2007, 11:17 PM
I don't meant to make phun of this thread but as a kid growing up I often heard my Dad say in a teasing way "Go easy kids. That stuff is expensive and you should be using one square both sides." :D :D

Twisterdog
04-23-2007, 11:40 PM
Well, sorry, but the world will just have to implode in a ball of horrible fire then. Because, NO, I LIKE my toilet paper, thank you very much.

Seriously, though ... come on. I have a reaaaallyyyy hard time believing the humble toilet paper square is the cause of the end of the earth. Slash and burn agriculture, nuclear waste, unregulated industrial pollution, gas guzzling vehicles ... I'm honestly thinking these things might have just a little bit to do with our environmental problems than toilet paper does.

crow_noir
04-24-2007, 12:32 AM
I try to convince people to only use two sheets (if it's two ply quality,) but asking people to use just one is extreme! That's a long wait on drip drying!

I thought I'd heard about everything in my life but I was wrong. According to Cheryl Crow, using only one square of toilet paper when you go to the bathroom will help save the world and stop global warming.

BUT if you really want to save toilet paper, when you do #1 you could just drip dry!!

crow_noir
04-24-2007, 12:37 AM
[Sarcasm]But we can't become a communist nation like C**** and take away peoples right to breed indiscriminately. :eek: [/End Sarcasm]

The world will be just fine. (It was just fine for the 4.5 billion years before we arrived on the scene).

Sure, some species will be extinct, but others will flourish. Miami may be in the ocean, so people who currently own the less desirable inland properties will be able to have beach-front condos!

What seems to be ignored is what I consider to be the real problem -that there are only a finite number of resources to support a finite number of organisms. As long as we humans continue to over-populate this planet, the other species will be crowded out. A global effort at human birth control would go a long ways to helping insure that there is enough resources for all living creatures on this planet.

crow_noir
04-24-2007, 12:40 AM
LOL... Yes it's one of my guilty pleasures too! I do NOT want to live with out toilet paper. Quality toilet paper that is. I don't like the stuff that feels like sand paper rubbing across me bum.

Well, sorry, but the world will just have to implode in a ball of horrible fire then. Because, NO, I LIKE my toilet paper, thank you very much.

Seriously, though ... come on. I have a reaaaallyyyy hard time believing the humble toilet paper square is the cause of the end of the earth. Slash and burn agriculture, nuclear waste, unregulated industrial pollution, gas guzzling vehicles ... I'm honestly thinking these things might have just a little bit to do with our environmental problems than toilet paper does.

dukedogsmom
04-24-2007, 02:40 AM
I'm sorry. I can't spare a square. I have no square to spare.

Some will know where I found that ;)

This is about like the cell phones killing gorillas in the poll area.

JenBKR
04-24-2007, 10:13 AM

haha good one - you can't spare one square? Then I guess I will steal ALL of the TP! :D

wombat2u2004
04-24-2007, 11:56 AM

This is about like the cell phones killing gorillas in the poll area.

But if you tear a square, then you'll have no spare,
But I don't care, I'm male, is that fair ??
Heheheh....Wom

Puckstop31
04-24-2007, 12:01 PM
There are people who do not believe we are over-populating the world with too many consuming too much while creating too much waste?

How do these two things compare?

I don't have any kids to worry about.......

Must...resist...urge...to...comment....

Miss Z
04-24-2007, 12:23 PM
My mum works in hygiene products and there are dispensers which only allow one sheet at a time. Whether it has much to do with saving the planet I really don't know, I just thought it was not to be wasteful! There's definitely more serious matters we need to tackle to impede the onslaught of global warming.

I believe that global warming probably was going to happen anyway, as for millenia this earth has fallen in and out of ice ages, but the human race is catalysing the process for sure. It is dangerous to mess with nature as it is on such a fine balance. We'll feel the consequences for sure, as we are experiencing the beginnings now, extreme weather, heat waves and desertification.

momoffuzzyfaces
04-24-2007, 01:02 PM
Well, if someone were really serious about helping the planet: ok babies - give up those plastic diapers and go back to cloth. Those darn diapers almost NEVER decompose. ALL plastic should go too, including the seniors diapers, plastic bottles, and plastic credit cards. ;)

JenBKR
04-24-2007, 01:03 PM
Well, if someone were really serious about helping the planet: ok babies - give up those plastic diapers and go back to cloth. Those darn diapers almost NEVER decompose.

:eek: noooo don't do that to me! I don't know that I could handle cloth diapers :eek: :o

Uabassoon
04-24-2007, 01:14 PM
Are we talking 1 ply, 2 ply? I'm all for saving the earth, but 1 square of my cheap Kroger brand toilet paper isn't going to do much!

momoffuzzyfaces
04-24-2007, 01:19 PM
Are we talking 1 ply, 2 ply? I'm all for saving the earth, but 1 square of my cheap Kroger brand toilet paper isn't going to do much!
They didn't say but I'm sure (since Ms. Crow is so intent on saving the world) it must be 1 ply! 2 ply would be wasteful don't you know? ;) :D

slick
04-24-2007, 01:37 PM
Are we talking 1 ply, 2 ply? I'm all for saving the earth, but 1 square of my cheap Kroger brand toilet paper isn't going to do much! LOLOL Same here. I'm afraid I change the TP roll as often as I change my underwear!!! :o :eek:

Hmmm....just thought.....TP is PT backwards. What does that tell us??? :eek:

Puckstop31
04-24-2007, 02:13 PM
Hmmm....just thought.....TP is PT backwards. What does that tell us??? :eek:

That the "lifers" here are full of it???

:D :p

cassiesmom
04-24-2007, 02:49 PM
On the issue
Of just one square
I think Sheryl Crow
is full of hot air

(apologies to Richard and Dr Seuss)

momoffuzzyfaces
04-24-2007, 03:28 PM
On the issue
Of just one square
I think Sheryl Crow
is full of hot air

(apologies to Richard and Dr Seuss)
LOL!!! :D

Catty1
04-24-2007, 05:43 PM
...and China is re-thinking its 'two kids only' policy, as there will be too few youngsters to help the oldsters, let alone the job market...

Recycled TP for me, which lasts about half as long the non-recycled stuff..

crow_noir
04-24-2007, 10:50 PM
Sure it will!!!

It'll help make your hand even messier!!! :D :p ;) LOL

crow_noir
04-24-2007, 10:53 PM
LOL. My first reaction was "Gah!!!" but then i laughed I thought the episode was so funny.

But then i read Wom's reply. Now i'm wondering if you were quoting TV or prose.

Some will know where I found that

DrKym
04-24-2007, 11:42 PM
In 100 years from now, none of the TP will matter.....................neither will this discussion. In the 1600s they already knew that the earth was going to end, same with the 1700s and the 1800s and the 1900s....

Fact is it will, not in our lifetimes though. Probably not in our progenys' ,collective as that is. Yes we have made a debacle of many things, but much of what is happening is natural occurence.

That said I will still use more than one square................

wombat2u2004
04-24-2007, 11:47 PM
That the "lifers" here are full of it???

:D :p

;) Hehehehe

crow_noir
04-25-2007, 12:11 AM
Tell me what you think?

http://cosmicvariance.com/wp-images/CO2.png

Wom

wombat2u2004
04-25-2007, 12:29 AM
Tell me what you think?

http://cosmicvariance.com/wp-images/CO2.png

Hmmmmmm.....those graphs don't cut any ice with me mate.
The earth has been undergoing fluctuations on a much greater scale than this for the past 4.5 billion years.

Now....you tell me what YOU think ??
Q. What caused the most recent ice age (40,000 years ago) to begin and end ????
Wom

dogzr#1
04-25-2007, 06:46 AM
I saw part of that movie The Inconvenient Truth during science class yesterday. It was wonderfully made, and kind of scary because you know this stuff is really happening as we speak.

As to your question Wombat, the reason we've had many Ice Ages and stuff is because of the amount of carbon dioxide in the air (or maybe it was carbon monoxide). Anywho, the amount of CO2 in the air coincides with the temperatures. Over to past 4.5billion years, things have been pretty steady. Yes, the CO2 levels have dropped before, causing an Ice Age, but they have always risen back to normal. However, in recent years, CO2 levels have skyrocketed. We aren't sure how bad this will affect the temperatures, but it most certainly will.

I can't explain all that I saw in the movie, so I highly suggest just going to rent it.

wombat2u2004
04-25-2007, 07:27 AM
I saw part of that movie The Inconvenient Truth during science class yesterday. It was wonderfully made, and kind of scary because you know this stuff is really happening as we speak.

As to your question Wombat, the reason we've had many Ice Ages and stuff is because of the amount of carbon dioxide in the air (or maybe it was carbon monoxide). Anywho, the amount of CO2 in the air coincides with the temperatures. Over to past 4.5billion years, things have been pretty steady. Yes, the CO2 levels have dropped before, causing an Ice Age, but they have always risen back to normal. However, in recent years, CO2 levels have skyrocketed. We aren't sure how bad this will affect the temperatures, but it most certainly will.

I can't explain all that I saw in the movie, so I highly suggest just going to rent it.

Have a look at this one.....and see what you think............
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJSupf6rkgE
Wom

momoffuzzyfaces
04-25-2007, 11:16 AM
The earth has been undergoing fluctuations on a much greater scale than this for the past 4.5 billion years.

Now....you tell me what YOU think ??
Q. What caused the most recent ice age (40,000 years ago) to begin and end ????
Wom
GOD!!! ;) :D

catland
04-25-2007, 07:04 PM

(pardon me whist I steal the thread for a moment) - true story, my husband was telling me of a co-worker who does not believe in evolution. When I asked about whether this person had an explanation for dinosaur and other extinct animal bones, the response was "they weren't on the ark".

ok - the thread may continue now - speaking of this thread - I think we've all just found a new use for our junk mail. :eek:

Catty1
04-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Ya know....let's say that global warming is a 'natural' trend.

With all the potential damage it is creating - wouldn't it be an idea to slow it down, if not stop it?

It may not be caused by the human race - but I also have a hard time believing that all the industrial crap that has been let loose into water, air and land since the Industrial Revolution has had NO effect whatsoever.

Something as simple as a person I met who moved from Toronto to rural Alberta and never needed her asthma medication again.

Sure - humans may didn't do the WHOLE job - but didn't we contribute a teensy bit? And should we not try to reverse that bit?

Just a thought.

Argranade
04-25-2007, 07:44 PM
Well I'll do what ever the fudge I have to help this earth, ''--_--

I ride my bike/walk instead of using cars ect ....

I always turn off any un - used electricity.

I take a shower as fast as possible lol.

When I go to IKEA I turn off all the lights as I walk by haha!

I don't use a hair blow dryer, I let my hair dry on it's own.

Recycle ... try to do this all the time.

Our family uses energy-saving light bulbs.

Now this list will grow larger as I think ....

Ok, I'm all for conserving our paper products but HEY! TREES GROW BACK!!!
Yes tree's grow back BUT it can take years for a hole forest to regrow, as tree's grow from seeds mother nature can destroy the little tree's as they won't be strong enough THEN the hole thing starts ALL over again, we need tree's no matter what because they are keeping us alive!

Wom
Of course it is, some of it is caused by natural animal gases too lol.

''Our planet earth is precious and can’t be replaced, We need to act now or our home will be erased.''

Your childrens graves will never be made, as there days ended when we where descended.

wombat2u2004
04-25-2007, 08:37 PM
[QUOTE=Argranade][CENTER]

Of course it is, some of it is caused by natural animal gases too lol.

Thats it !!! Bear gets no more of those little cheesy biscuit things !!!! :D
Wom

wombat2u2004
04-25-2007, 08:44 PM
Ya know....let's say that global warming is a 'natural' trend.

With all the potential damage it is creating - wouldn't it be an idea to slow it down, if not stop it?

It may not be caused by the human race - but I also have a hard time believing that all the industrial crap that has been let loose into water, air and land since the Industrial Revolution has had NO effect whatsoever.

Something as simple as a person I met who moved from Toronto to rural Alberta and never needed her asthma medication again.

Sure - humans may didn't do the WHOLE job - but didn't we contribute a teensy bit? And should we not try to reverse that bit?

Just a thought.

Yep....I do believe we should be doing everything we can to reduce or slow down any damage to the earth. I'm all for that.
Just can't get my teeth around the fact tho, that all of this carrying on about that global warming is man made. :cool:
Wom

dukedogsmom
04-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Most people don't care, unfortunately. They don't even obey the water restrictions around here because a green lawn is more important than keeping away fires or actually having water for the future. Also, some people breed like there's no tomorrow. And a lot of them are taken care of from the good ol' dependable taxpayers. But that's another rant.

momoffuzzyfaces
04-26-2007, 01:03 PM
(pardon me whist I steal the thread for a moment) - true story, my husband was telling me of a co-worker who does not believe in evolution. When I asked about whether this person had an explanation for dinosaur and other extinct animal bones, the response was "they weren't on the ark".

ok - the thread may continue now - speaking of this thread - I think we've all just found a new use for our junk mail. :eek:
Actually, dinosaurs could have been on the ark. There is a museum in Texas called the Creation museum or something like that. They have found human and dinosaur footprints together in the same layers of earth, in other words existing at the same time.

How could big dinosaurs get on the ark and not sink it or eat the people you ask? Simple if they were babies or even eggs. All you need is a pink one and a blue one. ;)

The Bible talks of days when "dragons" roamed the earth. ;)

I don't believe in evolution either. A monkey just doesn't evolve into a human and, as much as we wish it, a frog doesn't evolve into a prince!:D