PDA

View Full Version : Creamsicle is going back to the vet *Update* 4/24

Medusa
04-23-2007, 08:53 AM
I can't find my original thread, too stressed on a Mon. morning, I guess. But my Cgirl is losing hair by the plug. If I pet her, my hand is covered w/hair. My appt. isn't til this evening after work, so I have to hustle to get a lot done today. I'll post this evening. Please send your prayers for my little deaf girl. She gets so scared when she goes to the vet.

I spoke to Dr. Lee this morning and he said that he wants to wait a week to see how she's doing before he does anything else, such as the biopsy. He's concerned that she could possibly have cutaneous lymphoma. He's not an alarmist but he wants me to be prepared. He did say, though, that she doesn't have little nodules but only the crusts on her skin, which may mean that she only has the skin condition. Also, because she's my only cat who hasn't been spayed, there's a possibility that it's endocrine. So....I wait a week, if she's improving, he'll do a biopsy either way but once the skin is cleared up, she's getting spayed. She was scheduled for spaying last week but when I noticed the bumps, I cancelled it. Good thing; she could've gotten an even worse infection. But he assured me that her blood work is normal and she can safely be spayed. I should've done it long ago. I was just so afraid w/her being a vestibular hypoplasia girl and deaf, too. So that's the news.

Taz_Zoee
04-23-2007, 09:26 AM
Aww, Creamsicle will be in my thoughts today Mary. Poor little girl doesn't need to be sick. :( (of course none of our furbabies need to be sick, right?)

lvpets2002
04-23-2007, 09:29 AM
:( Oh no Mary that is just so horrible.. I wonder if this baby is just so stressed & thats why her hair is coming out?? Poor wittle one.. Good Luck at the vets.. Me & the girls sending Lots of Huggss & Prayers.. Keep us posted..

Catty1
04-23-2007, 09:36 AM
I know Craftlady had Thumper on a type of herbal rescue remedy when Thumper was losing fur...

I hope something can be done for her!

Craftlady
04-23-2007, 09:46 AM
I know Craftlady had Thumper on a type of herbal rescue remedy when Thumper was losing fur...

I hope something can be done for her!

Her remedy was for over grooming that resulted in hair loss not quite the same as what Creamsicle is experiencing.

Will kept good thoughts and prayers for this evenings appointment.

Donnaj4962
04-23-2007, 09:59 AM
We are sending prayers and well wishes from Indiana! We are thinking of Creamsicle, and hoping that the vet can find the treatement for her that will help her keep her hair!

I am so sorry you are going through this Mary. I can understand your stress!

Prairie Purrs
04-23-2007, 11:37 AM
Oh, poor Creamsicle! Healing thoughts are headed her way.

Medusa
04-23-2007, 06:44 PM
My Cgirl as dermatophilus for sure. It's a bacterial infection of the hair follicles usually found in horses! (I do not know.) He said it's the worst case in cats that he's ever seen. (Just once, could a vet say "Aw, it's just a little cold." No, I always hear words like "worst case I've ever seen", "treatments for life", "chronic renal failure", "vestibular hypoplasia", "biopsy". Sigh.) He did blood work and I'll know the results tomorrow. He also gave her an injection of an anti-inflammatory which he said would definitely help her feel better. He said she just has to be miserable right now. Her hair is coming out like a paint brush. He also suspects pemphigus, which is crusty black scabs, one of which is a big nasty one on her mouth. She has them on the bottoms of her feet, too, and inside her ears. He's probably going to do a biopsy on her but for now he gave me shampoo to bathe her with at least twice a week. He said that will also help her to feel better and a lot of the scabs will come off. He also said that she'll probably look pretty bad for a while because she'll continue to lose some hair until the antibiotic really starts to work. Unfortunately, it sometimes takes up to a month or more before that happens.

I asked him if I'm doing something wrong because I'm fastidious about my house; I vacuum and dust every day, clean the litterboxes a minimum of twice a day, I groom them and clip their claws regularly. He said "No, I'm sure you're doing what you should and that you're clean. Her immune system is compromised and unless she's hanging out in the litterbox 24/7, she's susceptible to things like this." He also said that it could be triggered by a food allergy. I have just recently started giving my furkids Fancy Feast gourmet but just a tad. But Cgirl is my finicky one and she won't eat anything other than what she's used to, which is Purina Cat Chow, period. No treats either. But I've stopped feeding them the Fancy Feast because they're just not used to wet food and it messes w/their stomachs.

So...I thought I might get a break tonight but I guess I'm going to be giving Cgirl a bath. That's if I can get her out of the carrier. She hasn't come out yet. I think she's mad at me. Sweet thing didn't make a sound when they took blood and gave her the shot. I think I'll have her sleep w/me tonight. Well, I started off my day at the BMV waiting for my tags, then finished up at the vet. Yahoo.

Thanx for the good thoughts, friends. I'll update when I get the results of the bloodwork and if/when Dr. Lee wants to schedule a biopsy to be sure she has pemphigus. Either way, he said that thing on her lip has to come off. She could get more around her eyes, too. Great.

Craftlady
04-23-2007, 07:01 PM
Oh my... Good luck with the baths, I hope the medications etc will help her feel better. :)

phesina
04-23-2007, 07:13 PM
Oh my god, Mary, it's just one thing after another.. Poor little Creamsicle! This must be miserable for her. I hope she is feeling a bit better by now after the anti-inflammatory shot. And I hope the lab results will point to a remedy.

The kitties and I are all saying our prayers and crossing our fingers and and toes and paw pads and sending thoughts and good wishes of healing energies to Creamsicle.. all being delivered straight to her by Priscilla Angel.

Love, Hugs, and Purrs,
Pat, Peony, Sydney, Poppy, Elmer, and Priscilla Angel

catmandu
04-23-2007, 07:13 PM
We are sending out prayers for Dear Creamsicle that the White Coats can help her.
Its so frustrating when our Companions are not well and we dont know why, and what we can do to make them better again.
Best of Luck at your Vets!

Medusa
04-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Well, I just finished bathing Cgirl and, I must say, it's the easiest thing I've ever done w/my cats. She sat as still as a statue. It's a medicated shampoo, so it should make her feel even better. You should see the sink. It's absolutely loaded w/hair. Sweet, sweet girl. Thanx again, everyone, and you, too, Priscilla angel. :)

Queen of Poop
04-24-2007, 09:18 AM
Dear Creamsicle, hair's not all it's cracked up to be. Is what my RB ferret Sebastian would tell you. He lost most of his before I had to send him to the Bridge. Besides, it's coming to summer time so you'll be much cooler! I pray that the meds can make you feel more comfortable until you are able to beat this nasty thing and regrow your beautiful coat before fall arrives. I'd send you a gentle hug but I'm not sure your skin is up for it so how about a wee kiss on the forehead. Be well sweetie pie.

Medusa
04-24-2007, 09:28 AM
I posted this in the wrong place this morning. Sorry. Having another blonde day.

I spoke to Dr. Lee this morning and he said that he wants to wait a week to see how she's doing before he does anything else, such as the biopsy. He's concerned that she could possibly have cutaneous lymphoma. He's not an alarmist but he wants me to be prepared. He did say, though, that she doesn't have little nodules but only the crusts on her skin, which may mean that she only has the skin condition. Also, because she's my only cat who hasn't been spayed, there's a possibility that it's endocrine. So....I wait a week, if she's improving, he'll do a biopsy either way but once the skin is cleared up, she's getting spayed. She was scheduled for spaying last week but when I noticed the bumps, I cancelled it. Good thing; she could've gotten an even worse infection. But he assured me that her blood work is normal and she can safely be spayed. I should've done it long ago. I was just so afraid w/her being a vestibular hypoplasia girl and deaf, too. So that's the news.

Prairie Purrs
04-24-2007, 11:24 AM
Nasty as the skin infection is, I hope that's all it is and that Creamsicle recovers quickly. Poor sweet girl!

Medusa
04-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Sweet girl just wants to hide. I have a short work day today so I just got home and couldn't find her. She was in the basement hiding. So I brought her upstairs and put her in the enclosed patio room where there's lots of sun. Dr. Lee said that's the best thing for her. I just checked on her a few minutes ago and she was grooming herself in the sun. Sigh. At least she isn't frantically scratching and tearing at her skin as before. I'm going to hold the positive thought that it's just a skin condition and that's all.

krazyaboutkatz
04-24-2007, 11:36 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that she's gotten worse.:( I think that your original thread was in cat health so this may be the reason why you couldn't find the original thread. I sure hope that the shampoo and antibiotics will help her. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.

kimlovescats
04-25-2007, 07:05 AM
Poor girl, that must be so miserable! I'm glad that it sounds like that bath has brought her some relief! Please keep us posted on her progress and give her some gentle rubs from me! ;)

TopCat3
04-25-2007, 07:26 AM
QUOTE:
(Just once, could a vet say "Aw, it's just a little cold." No, I always hear words like "worst case I've ever seen", "treatments for life", "chronic renal failure", "vestibular hypoplasia", "biopsy". Sigh.)

Could it be at all possible that you have the kind of face that says "you can bleed my bank account dry, just please save my cats?" lol ;)

Seriously, I do hope Creamsicle will make a rapid and complete recovery. It's bad enough that she's deaf. Do you sing to her and hold her close against your throat when she is nervous so she can feel the vibrations in your vocal cords like purring? I have no idea what vestibular thingy is, shall have to look it up, but it sounds like she has enough to contend with without this extra. Cuddles and good wishes from the TopCats. (((XXX)))

Medusa
04-25-2007, 07:42 AM
I'm beginning to think you're right, TopCat. If the vet doesn't see it that way, my cats probably do. But that's ok. My son is all grown up so these are my kids now.

I just spoke w/Dr. Lee to update him. The big black sore on Cgirl's lip fell off! I kinda knew it was a good thing but I had to be sure. He said that means the shot he gave her is working to dry up the sores. I was concerned somewhat because he wanted to biopsy it but he said if she continues to improve, he'll be less concerned about doing a biopsy at all. She's doing so much better, albeit she's still kinda mad at me. Cgirl is funny, if you even as much as accidentally step on her paw ever so slightly, she takes it as punishment and will hide sometimes for the entire day. I haven't given her the meds yet this morning because that would mean dragging her out from under the buffet and I don't want to do that. I'll wait til she comes out on her own.

Vestibular hypoplasia is similar to cerebellar hypoplasia except that it affects the ears, usually causing deafness, which is it did in Cgirl's case. But you'll never find a happier cat. She instinctively knew as a tiny kitten to place her head on my throat and she still does it today. So I talk to her as calmly as I can, soothe her as much as possible. She can become pretty spastic when she's stressed, so sometimes that's difficult to do but when she isn't stressed, she stays there and purrs like a motorboat.

Well, that's the update. I just know she's going to continue to improve. She'll get another bath tomorrow and hopefully, the itching will stop altogether. Thanx again for all your prayers, friends.

Taz_Zoee
04-25-2007, 09:18 AM
This is great news! I am so happy she seems to be getting better. :D
Way to go Creamsicle!! And way to go Mary!!! :D :D :D

phesina
04-25-2007, 07:16 PM
Wonderful news for Creamsicle!

We are keeping on with our prayers and chats and incantations that her healing continues fully.

Love, purrs, and hugs,
Peony, Elmer, Poppy, Sydney, and Pat

K & L
04-25-2007, 09:49 PM
I wish Creamsicle the best and hope this is nothing but a skin ailment that can be cured with medications.