PDA

View Full Version : When is a cold more than a cold??

Sirrahsim
04-22-2007, 05:00 PM
Here is the deal. For over 2 weeks now I have been feeling rundown and exhausted all of the time. I've had a runny nose and cough so I have brushed it off as a cold but I've had a low grade fever (hasn't gotten above 100.5 or so) for almost a week now. My right ear is completely full of fluid so I'm hopeful that that will go ahead and rupture tonight or tomorrow to give me some relief. On top of everything I am sleeping every chance that I get but still feel tired. I've been putting off seeing the doc because I feel silly going in for just a cold but maybe it's more than that?
Progression:
Days 1-7 or 8: basic cold symptoms
Days 8-10: Post nasal drip, sore throat, mild fever, a little tired
Days 9-15: mild fever, fatigue, runny nose
Days 12-15: deep coughing that hurts in my chest
Days 14-15: fluid building up in ear resulting in pressure and most likely leading towards rupture

Sooo none of those things really seem to be anything that a doc could help with?? Should I see the doc just cause it has been so long?

Karen
04-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Missy - blow dry your ear. Honest - it'll help relieve the pain. Just aim the blow-drier at your ear for several minutes. The warm air blowing in helps, I did that this winter, and ended up not only not rupturing my eardrum, but survining the infection without needing antibiotics.

I am paranoid about that ear, because it's the only functional one I've got!

Now, with the congestion, you can also do something to help the chest congestion. Get some eucalyptus leaves - people use them all the time for flower arrangements because they are a pretty silvery grey-green. Boil some water, pour it into the bowl, then break the leaves over the top. Now lean over the bowl and breathe the steam. It'll help ease the congestion and break up the gunk in your chest.

Is your cough producing any gunk right now?

lizbud
04-22-2007, 05:15 PM
I would say yes, see your Doctor. Could be "walking" pneumonia. The cold
has hung on too long.

Sirrahsim
04-22-2007, 05:17 PM
I will try those things! Thank you :)
So far I have only coughed up a little bit of gunk. Must has been clear though.

Vela
04-22-2007, 05:21 PM
Put E3 oil in your ear. My daughter had ear infections repeatedly as a child to the point we talked about putting tubes in her ears. I tried one last "home remedy" and she never had another ear infection in her life. My son had one, used it, never had another. I used it for earaches, went away.

you can make your own: If you even just put garlic oil or juice, can get it at the store in vimtain section, capsule form, or even kyolic liquid, and put that in olive oil in your ear it will help,

the best is to mix olive oil, garlic, mullin, and lobelia. All herbs, in equal parts. Dropper it into your ear and put a cotton ball in. I know it sounds weird but honestly do it. It's preferable NOT to rupture your ear drum if possible because it leads to scarring which will, over time, impair your hearing.

Sirrahsim
04-22-2007, 05:25 PM
my eardrum has ruptured countless times and I've been lucky enough to have never experienced any hearing loss. I went through a phase in my youth when my ear would get infected and the drum would rupture nearly every month!!
Ugh... I just tried the dryer and that did feel good

kuhio98
04-22-2007, 05:49 PM
Is your couch producing any gunk right now?Couch? That threw me for a loop for a minute! :eek: :p

Missy ~ My left eardrum has ruptured too many times to count. I wear wax earplugs when I shower to try to keep out the water. I also use an oil for people with "swimmer's ear". It really helps with the pain.

Daisy and Delilah
04-22-2007, 10:56 PM
This sounds like what's been going around here for a few weeks. There are loads of people at my job that have it. Also, several other people I know have it. I have had something similar for about 7 days. I am zapped of energy. I've tried to avoid the doctor but I've decided to call him tomorrow.

Missy, I think you probably should give your doc a call tomorrow too. Especially being pregnant, it sounds like a good idea. You need alot of energy to keep up with that handsome Tyler too!! :) I hope you feel better soon. :)

kt_luvs_kitties
04-22-2007, 11:28 PM
I would go to the doctor just in case. I hope you feel better soon!

Laura's Babies
04-23-2007, 08:38 AM
I would see the doctor too, sounds to me like you have a sinus infection.

columbine
04-23-2007, 08:50 AM
If you're covered for medical care, GO, for pete's sake! Now that so many people don't have the option, it's incumbent upon the folks who can still avail themselves of medical science to break the backs of the bugs and reduce the population density of infections to minimize contagion.

Man, that looks dense. But I think it's readable!

Love, Columbine

RedHedd
04-23-2007, 09:08 AM
Another vote to go to the doctor - it's been too long. Sounds like a bronchial or sinus infection. Don't take chances with home remedies in your condition - get thee to the doctor, missy! :)

Sirrahsim
04-23-2007, 11:09 AM
I went to the doctor :) I have a mega sinus infection and most likely an ear infection as well. I'm now on 4 different drugs to help me get better :)

RedHedd
04-23-2007, 11:16 AM
Good! It sounded like some sort of infection to me. Sinus infections can clear up very quickly (unless you're like me and they hang on for MONTHS!) I hope yours is over very soon!

Sirrahsim
04-23-2007, 11:28 AM
I hope it goes away quickly too!! Right now I am working on getting Tyler down to bed for a nap and I just might lay down and nap with him!

Christiansmommy
04-23-2007, 11:30 AM
I was gonna say that when I was pregnant, my "colds" seem to knock me flat on my butt far more than they could when I wasn't pregnant. That could also be why it has lasted so long...being pregnant is tiring enough on your body,and then having a cold on top of it, can really make it hard to get rid of...