PDA

View Full Version : Road Kill

SANDY FROST
04-21-2007, 08:16 AM
People please be careful when driving on the road. Cars do kill animals. I walk to work on a busy street. I've reported dead animals on the in the past.
But to see one run over before your eyes in upsetting. And to see one that has recently been hit and is suffering by making gagging sounds trying to stay alive but is losing the battle is upsetting too. People be careful on the road when you drive because you may have saved a pet's life or a wild animals life.
Thanks,
Sandy Frost :) :confused: ;) :) :rolleyes:

pitc9
04-21-2007, 09:49 AM
I once was following a car, and they ran over a squirrel. But did not kill it, so I ran him over to take his pain away. Then cried my eyes out the rest of the ride home.
It is very sad to see those recently hit.
:(

Argranade
04-21-2007, 11:45 AM
When we go to the auction there's so many dead rabbits, ground hogs, racoons, foxes, coyote's (SP?), some birds ect ... but this is all on the highway so I dout there is any way they can actualy stop for these animals. :(

SANDY FROST
04-21-2007, 04:04 PM
When we go to the auction there's so many dead rabbits, ground hogs, racoons, foxes, coyote's (SP?), some birds ect ... but this is all on the highway so I dout there is any way they can actualy stop for these animals. :(
If the cars would do the speed limit they might be able to drive around them if they can. I know it's hard when cars are going 59MPH. .
Sandy Frost :rolleyes:

Kirsten
04-21-2007, 04:33 PM
Sandy, I can only second this!! When I'm driving to work, I see dead animals almost every day: raccoons, foxes, cats, squirrels, rabbits, hedgehogs, martens... It's heartbreaking every time and it often brings tears to my eyes. I mourn each and every one of these little lost souls, precious lives being wasted because of the achievements of modern (human) life.

A couple of years ago, the car right before me hit a cat, and the driver didn't even stop. The cat made it to the pavement, and I stopped to look after her, but there was nothing I could do but staying with her until she passed over. It was just traumatizing and I cried for days. The picture of this dying cat will haunt me for the rest of my life and I really hope that it will never happen to me, and that I'll never be responsible for the death of one of these creatures.

Kirsten

Babyboonie
04-21-2007, 05:10 PM
A couple of years ago, the car right before me hit a cat, and the driver didn't even stop. The cat made it to the pavement, and I stopped to look after her, but there was nothing I could do but staying with her until she passed over. It was just traumatizing and I cried for days. The picture of this dying cat will haunt me for the rest of my life and I really hope that it will never happen to me, and that I'll never be responsible for the death of one of these creatures.

I second this Kirsten. I live on a quiet residential road and I stepped out my front door to go to work one morning last year to be greeted with a car speeding up the road and hitting a cat right outside my house. The driver looked at me and then drove off. I dropped my bag etc, ran up the path to the kitty to be met with the most horrific sight. Without going into too much detail, the kitty had been hit in the head and was bleeding heavily....all it could do was meiow at me. Despite the blood and the sight I held that cat in my arms as it took it's last breath. It broke my heart that day and I will never forget it. I had nightmares for several weeks after....firstly about that particular cat, and then they turned into replays of the incident with my own cats.

There was no need for that car to be speeding that day - i'm just glad (on some level) that it wasn't one of the little 7 year old twins that live a couple of doors down from me that play out there.

PJ's Mom
04-21-2007, 05:47 PM
This area is expanding so quickly that we are running the deer out of their homes. It's sad to see a deer dead on the road and what's worse is the people getting pissed off because they hit the deer. It's our fault they don't have a place to go. :( Most of the dead ones I see are babies. :(

Argranade
04-21-2007, 07:12 PM
If the cars would do the speed limit they might be able to drive around them if they can. I know it's hard when cars are going 59MPH. .
Sandy Frost :rolleyes:
Well on the high way lanes are close together so if you stop or try to move chances are you will hit another car, I think some higher fences should be put up in some areas ... humans do destroy this beautiful earth but sometimes mistakes do indeed happen.

wombat2u2004
04-21-2007, 09:37 PM
Well on the high way lanes are close together so if you stop or try to move chances are you will hit another car, I think some higher fences should be put up in some areas ... humans do destroy this beautiful earth but sometimes mistakes do indeed happen.

Yes...I would agree with that.
Nobody likes to see animals die on the road, but really.....if steering around an animal that has run onto the road actually puts yourself and other people in danger, then you have to just keep going and hit the animal....right ????
We have much roadkill here in Australia, and it doesn't really matter if the driver is speeding or not....especially on country roads...the amount of kangaroos, wombats, possums, Tasmanian devils etc that are hit on a daily basis here is horrific. They simply run across the road when they feel like it.
I have hit heaps of kangaroos on country roads, my utility is fitted with bull bars on the front specifically for the purpose of not damaging my vehicle on impact.
Wombat

Argranade
04-21-2007, 10:49 PM
If only more animals could be like our nabour squirel,

He is pure black and very smart lol, he waits till the traffic is gone then crosses lol.

Yes...I would agree with that.
Nobody likes to see animals die on the road, but really.....if steering around an animal that has run onto the road actually puts yourself and other people in danger, then you have to just keep going and hit the animal....right ????
Yes but every chance we get to avoid hitting an animal is one we should make, my grandpa seen a budgie flying on the road, he waved at the lady comming towards it (There was NO traffic just a little street) and she just wen't right over the little bird making it become part of the road .. :rolleyes:

There's also those other idiots who think it's fun to try and hit rabbits ect ...

SANDY FROST
04-21-2007, 11:34 PM
[QUOTE=Kirsten]Sandy, I can only second this!! When I'm driving to work, I see dead animals almost every day: raccoons, foxes, cats, squirrels, rabbits, hedgehogs, martens... It's heartbreaking every time and it often brings tears to my eyes. I mourn each and every one of these little lost souls, precious lives being wasted because of the achievements of modern (human) life.

Kirsten[/QUOTE
I'm sorry you saw a cat get hit. You did what I would do. I would have stayed with the cat. I'm still upset seeing a liziard being smashed to bits. I actually went out to the street if could put it to the side of the road but too late. I'm still upset with opossum gagging and dieing. Yesterday I cried for the opossum and still upset. I hate it when people smash snails. I love all creatures.
Sandy Frost]
:)