PDA

View Full Version : What kibble are you feeding?

Kfamr
04-20-2007, 01:50 PM
With all of the recent recalls, what kibble are you giving your dog/s?

Has it changed your outlook on feeding (meaning, are you giving it more thought when purchasing foods, looking more at the ingredients, etc?)

My 4 are currently on Innova EVO Red Meat. We are on our second bag of it and they are doing well. They are a bit gassy still, so I may be switching them to something different. The protein level in RM is a bit high for my liking, too, but I wanted to try it out.

They still get their occasional raw meals when I've got a chance to prepare one.

A bunch of friends/family have been asking me what they should feed their dogs and really I'm afraid to give any advice anymore. It's getting really scary.

(If you are feeding raw completely, there's no need to reply, this is for kibble feeders only. :) )

Flatcoatluver
04-20-2007, 01:54 PM
I am feeding Zoey chicken soup for the dog lover's soul and I feed T.j kirkland lamb and rice since he is my dad's dog and not mine. My mom is really starting to open her eyes about all of thease low quality brands.

JenBKR
04-20-2007, 01:55 PM
This whole thing has really been scary. I am still feeding my crew Chicken Soup and haven't been having any trouble. I did email them to check on their status with all of the recalls going on, and their reply did help me breathe a little....although I am still watching the recalls closely. I don't know what I would do if something happened to one of them :(

PJ's Mom
04-20-2007, 01:56 PM
I'm back to feeding mine Pedigree. I know it's not the best food, but at least it won't kill them.

binka_nugget
04-20-2007, 01:57 PM
My guys are raw fed but I was feeding Keeva kibble up until a couple days ago. She was getting chicken soup and innova. I was going to keep Keeva on it (raw was too expensive for the three) but I just don't feel safe giving my dogs kibble anymore.

pitc9
04-20-2007, 01:57 PM
I feed Pro Plan sensitive skin and stomach.

It's so sad that animal lovers like us have to worry THIS much about what we're feeding our pets. :D

caseysmom
04-20-2007, 01:58 PM
I like kirkland chicken and rice, I also like california natural chicken and rice but the kirkland is a smaller kibble to accomodate bubba.

buttercup132
04-20-2007, 02:01 PM
I'm back to feeding mine Pedigree. I know it's not the best food, but at least it won't kill them. Ya same. I got mine back on that too. It seems to be one of the only comercial brands that havn't been recalled yet *knock on wood*

finn's mom
04-20-2007, 02:01 PM
I'm still feeding Finn raw, but Freckles and Dudley get Pinnacle, I haven't heard anything about it being recalled. Hopefully, I haven't missed something if it has been or better yet it hasn't been recalled. :)

CathyBogart
04-20-2007, 02:02 PM
I feed and feel totally comfortavle with Canidae.

Vela
04-20-2007, 02:05 PM
EVO RM when i do kibble. Was feeding Chicken Soup but cracker seemed to be allergic to something in it so i changed. I also recently bought some EVO canned to mix in with th kibble, rabbit and duck etc. Took two bags for my dogs' gas to go away too Kay hehe. Was BAD for a while there=x

Jadapit
04-20-2007, 02:06 PM
I was feeding the Timberwolf but I have to agree with you Kay, something was off in the last bag I got. In fact Ebony was throwing up after she ate it one day. That cant be good.

My husband went to Aspen to work, they do have good pet stores there, we have none in the town we live in. Anyway, the pet store owner told him that Natural Balance was a good food so he got two bags of the Ultra. The next day they had the recall so I freaked out and told him to take the NB back. He picked up a bag of the Innova EVO. I hope they do ok on that food.

I still do the raw quite a bit, maybe I should do it more with the nightmare over the pet foods. Its really sad when your scared to death you might kill your pets by feeding them. :(

steelergrl
04-20-2007, 02:08 PM
I am feeding my Stitch Purina One and have had no problems. She used to eat Nutro, but it made her gassy. I think I'll stick with Purina One or Iams. :)

Ginger's Mom
04-20-2007, 02:13 PM
Glad you started this thread, it's almost all I can think about. I am seriously thinking about going raw (something I was not even considering before). But I have a lot to learn before I do that. So I just call a local health food store (for both people and pets) and they have Innova in stock. So I will probably be stopping there on my way home tonight.

Christiansmommy
04-20-2007, 02:19 PM
Harlee is on Diamond Premium Adult kibble. It's nothing special, but it works for her. I tried the more expensive brands, like Innova, etc. and they were too rich, I guess, for her...her stool was not firm while on them..so I switched her to this and she does great on it...normal firm stools. Sorry for too much info ;)

Jadapit
04-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Glad you started this thread, it's almost all I can think about. I am seriously thinking about going raw (something I was not even considering before). But I have a lot to learn before I do that. So I just call a local health food store (for both people and pets) and they have Innova in stock. So I will probably be stopping there on my way home tonight.

I'm so glad I'm not alone. I've done so much research on dog foods, that my head is spinning. Let me know how it goes for you with the Innova, I hope we made a good choice.

dukedogsmom
04-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Purina Pro Plan Senior. Hope it stays safe.

So-Crafty
04-20-2007, 02:31 PM
Keegan was being fed Dick Van Pattens Natural Balance Venison and Rice with no problems. Since the recall she's been switched over to the Duck and Potato variety. It's the only food she's done well on.

Freedom
04-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. I switched the cats over to Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul in January. All are doing well.

Here's their web site:

http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/

You can click on "Find A Dealer" to find a location near you.

It is all fit for human consumption.

Kfamr
04-20-2007, 02:48 PM
EVO RM when i do kibble. Was feeding Chicken Soup but cracker seemed to be allergic to something in it so i changed. I also recently bought some EVO canned to mix in with th kibble, rabbit and duck etc. Took two bags for my dogs' gas to go away too Kay hehe. Was BAD for a while there=x

I hope it goes away! It's HORRIBLE. Their stools are completely fine now, but the gas is still here.

I hope EVO works for you two, Donna and Joyce. :) I trust Natura.

Tollers-n-Dobes
04-20-2007, 03:00 PM
We're still feeding California Natural (it's the only thing Winston can eat) and Orijen. So far no problems, and I haven't heard anything bad about either one.

GiantSchnauzer
04-20-2007, 03:52 PM
I switched Eika to EVO RM from Nutro Kibble about 2 weeks ago. So far so good. It makes me feel better feeding her a grain-less food.

Yes, she was gassy to. It seems to have subsided though.

Glacier
04-20-2007, 03:55 PM
Acana Performance..made in Canada in a small factory with human grade ingredients, no wheat or corn. It's designed for working dogs, very high fat/protien formula. Plus lots of raw meat.

Acana Light for the lazy seniors. Same thing, just lower fat levels.

I'm seriously thinking of switching the cats to an Acana formula too.

finn's mom
04-20-2007, 04:05 PM
I finally looked up Pinnacle and it specifically states that it's not involved in the recall (quoted from their website "We do not use wheat gluten, rice gluten, or rice protein concentrate in any of our dry or canned dog and cat foods. All ingredients in our foods are from certified sources within the United States, with the exception of the Premium New Zealand Lamb and 3 oz. canned cat foods."). So, I feel better, now!

And, if anyone is looking for a new food that isn't on the recall, Freckles and Dudley have been eating it for almost a year now and are doing great!

Pam
04-20-2007, 04:25 PM
I used to feed Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's soul and had switched to Nutro Lamb & Rice. I am now back to Chicken Soup, not because there is anything wrong the the Nutro but because Diamond Foods was not on the recall list for any of its products, and Chicken Soup is one of their products. Nutro was mentioned on the recall list, although not for kibble, but it still made me nervous. The dogs seem very happy now. Anything new is exciting for a while with them and then they get bored. I guess it is the same for us humans.

sparks19
04-20-2007, 04:26 PM
We feed Solid Gold MMillenium.

Roxyluvsme13
04-20-2007, 04:39 PM
Some "Natural" Purina Crap. Not my choice. And Lily is on Mighty Dog Rotisserie Chicken Canned.

*LabLoverKEB*
04-20-2007, 05:00 PM
I am currently feeding my two Nutro- Sadie senior, and Rita adult...

lizbud
04-20-2007, 05:30 PM
I feed Nutro Max weight control formula kibble for both dogs. I do use
a little Pedigree meat cuts on top. The kitties have always eaten Purina
wet & dry food and they love it.

lute
04-20-2007, 07:16 PM
I'm feeding Gracie Diamond Performance right now. Beanie is eating whatever my mom buys for him.

cmayer31
04-20-2007, 07:18 PM
Currently Riley is on the Natural Balance reduced calorie diet and I have spoken with Natural Balance a number of times to the point that I'm comfortable in keeping her on this food.

I was feeding Frankie Natural Balance Venison and seeing as that was their one recalled dog formula I had to switch. I went with Solid Gold Wolf King and other than some gas issues she seems to be adjusting all right to it. They do not use any of the recalled products and do not source their dog food ingredients from China.

Solid Gold (http://solidgoldhealth.com/news/)

We at Solid Gold Health Products for Pets, Inc. ("Solid Gold') realize that consumers are very concerned with the recent product food recalls. We would like to assure our customers that there are no safety concerns with Solid Gold products. The product recalls and removals have centered around ingredients sourced in China, in particular wheat gluten and now rice protein concentrate. These products are thought to be contaminated with melamine. Neither of these ingredients are used in any Solid Gold food products, nor do we source any ingredients from China, either directly or indirectly. We do not use gluten meal of any kind in any of our foods.

All the ingredients in Solid Gold products are sourced domestically with three exceptions. The lamb meal used in our dry foods is sourced from New Zealand, which produces some of the cleanest meat in the world. The potato protein used in Barking at the Moon is sourced in Europe. Our Blended Tuna canned cat food (grain free) is produced offshore due to the lack of tuna processing plants in the United States.

Sincerely,

Steven J. Wirick
Chief Operating Officer
Solid Gold Health Products for Pets, Inc.

dukedogsmom
04-20-2007, 07:20 PM
I just bought a huge bag of the Pro Plan Senior. I would either like to change to the Chicken Soup or Pinnacle after this. I don't want to take chances in the future. Kari, does Pinnacle have senior dog food? I was trying to find it on their site.

Sevaede
04-20-2007, 07:26 PM
Spanky is getting Nature's Recipe but I am not happy with it at all(it's not doing anything for spankers). So, I will be switching her back to Chicken Soup or maybe another brand (such as innova, etc). :D

K9soul
04-20-2007, 07:28 PM
I feed mine Innova EVO RM (supplemented with raw). Mine were really gassy when I first moved them onto it too but it seemed to get better during the second bag of it. Natura pet foods has decided to purchase or build their own canning facility in the future to ensure the quality of their foods. There's a video at http://www.naturapetcare.com/ about their products and new steps they are taking right now to ensure the continuing safety of their foods.

chocolatepuppy
04-20-2007, 07:29 PM
Some "Natural" Purina Crap. Not my choice. And Lily is on Mighty Dog Rotisserie Chicken Canned.

Purina Crap? You do know Purina makes Mighty Dog. ;)

Kfamr
04-20-2007, 07:30 PM
That's why I feel so safe with them, Jess. They seem far more concerned than some others. I think I'll be sticking with their products for a while.

I am kind of bummed, though, I really liked TWO's ingredients, they were just too shady for me.

K9soul
04-20-2007, 07:38 PM
That's why I feel so safe with them, Jess. They seem far more concerned than some others. I think I'll be sticking with their products for a while.

I am kind of bummed, though, I really liked TWO's ingredients, they were just too shady for me.

I'm planning on picking up a few canned EVO for Raven tomorrow as she'll need soft foods while her mouth heals. They are definitely one of the only brands I still feel comfortable with. TWO did look really good, but I had read where you talked about some different looking kibble in it. That would bother me too.

Jadapit
04-20-2007, 07:50 PM

Kay, I'm *happy* to report that my hubby is home from Aspen with the Innova EVO. I fed the girls as soon as he got home, they went nuts for the stuff. I think I'll stick with them for a while also. We may have to drive to Aspen to buy it but that's ok. ;)

cyber-sibes
04-20-2007, 07:52 PM
I switched to Canidae a couple weeks ago. I must say I'm extremely impressed with the ingredients.

- Ingredients for the Platinum formula (seniors & chubbies)

Human Grade Meats – Chicken, Turkey, Lamb and Fish
Wholesome Nutritional Brown Rice
10 Skin & Coat Conditioners to Help Maintain a Healthy, Luxurious Coat
Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate
Natural Psyllium Husk Fiber
Balanced Omega 6 & 3 Fatty Acids
Antioxidant Vitamins & Amino Acid Chelated Minerals
Cranberries
Added Viable Micro-Organisms
Inulin from Chicory Root
Guaranteed Enzyme Activity
Superior Digestibility
Excellent Palatability - Dogs Love CANIDAE® PLATINUM™

Vela
04-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Canidae is a great food too. I used to use that with mine as well. Cracker was on that the first year of his life. I bought some to start Soda on, because the EVO is high inprotein, but I'm afraid she doesn't want that. she only wants raw food=x hehe

Taz_Zoee
04-20-2007, 08:19 PM
We have Zoee on Nutro Natural Choice Lamb & Rice. I just looked at their website and it said none of the dry kibble has been recalled.
If any one has heard otherwise, please let me know.

BCollie_Kelly
04-20-2007, 08:45 PM
I feed and feel totally comfortavle with Canidae.

Same here. My 2 pooches do great on it :)

cali
04-20-2007, 08:57 PM
I feed raw, but I do have kibbel on hand for treats and otherwise when we need it(we prepare each meal at the time, we do NOT pre-prepare meals) so if my mom and I are both sick then we will just give them kibble. we have 3 kinds in our closet. Ol'Roy(came with Rusty), Nutro Natural choice puppy, and Blue Buffalo Spa Select dry cat food(the one recalled, mine bag is a differnt lot however). the cat food is more for Happy and Ripley then anyone else, grainless dog foods dont exist at all here, and the amount of grain in even the bets kibble we have available around here make Happy and Ripley very sick(it makes Happy throw up thick Black goop?) so the others get the Nutro and Happy and Ripley get the cat food. the ol'Roy is just kinda sitting there lol I occasionaly use it to pack a kong or buster cube, but that it.

Scooter's Mom
04-20-2007, 09:11 PM
I have Jadie on Merrick foods. She's been eating Merrick since around early February and really seems to like their food a lot!

I have my kitties on Chicken Soup dry... and either Merrick canned or Fancy Feast canned. Usually Fancy Feast since I have about a million cans of it in my pantry. (It was on sale, what can I say?)

Zippy
04-20-2007, 10:17 PM
Bandit is eating Purina but is switching to Newman's dog food.Zippy and Pumpkin are eating Pet Promise right now but I am switching to chicken soup when I move.

LuckyNumber7
04-20-2007, 11:59 PM
I feed my 2 dogs Wellness food - the venison or duck kind. They've never eaten anything else, and they both love it. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

wolf_Q
04-21-2007, 12:02 AM
Both Nebo and Keva are eating Nature's Variety praire venison formula. They were previously eating Natural Balance (Nebo) and Royal Canin (Keva), both brands now have foods on the recall list (the exact formula Nebo was eating too). I read somewhere that Nature's Variety "outsources" all of thier ingredients so gah I don't even know if that brand is safe. :o It says on their website that all of the ingredients (except flaxseed from Canada) are from the US.

I would feed Innova/Canidae/Solid Gold/etc. as they are at the store I now have to go to for the Nature's Variety I'm just worried about a food that is not venison formula, he seems to do so much better with that. Truthfully I'm not 100% sure if he's allergic or what, I just know his regular throwing up/diarrhea stopped when I switched to the NB venison.

My mom feeds Sydney the Kirkland brand. Its ingredients are way better than any food for the same price, and so far I haven't heard anything about it being recalled.

Ask me next week and it may be a different brand, who knows what is safe right now. :rolleyes:

LuckyNumber7
04-21-2007, 12:08 AM
The Wellness I feed my dogs is called Wellness Simple Solutions, and it's incredibly good for dogs with sensitive tummies. It has no fillers, and is good for dogs with various food allergies. They do have a venison formula, and mine love it :) It's kind of expensive...bot sure if it's more pricey than the other stuff you mentioned, probably not. A lot of pet stores don't carry it though.

crow_noir
04-21-2007, 12:43 AM
Still feeding Wysong and Pro Plan.
(W: Pretty darn good for being "kibble" in my opinion /PP: Still junk, good for fat though semi-decent ingredients. Using only the fish version of this though... going for natural husky food.)

Hasn't changed my outlook at all. Pretty much all kibbles are junk junk JUNK!

I'd MUCH rather be feeding raw, but it truly is more expensive. It would be a different matter if i had a small dog. I could afford to feed a small dog raw.

I see this whole thing as a wake up call to kibble feeders. Our dogs have NOT evolved on kibble for eons. Kibble has only existed for 70 to 100 years (depending on who you talk to.) Science isn't behind most kibble, money is.

Sad thing is is many people in a few years will go back to feeding the same junk they were feeding. What scares me just as much are the people feeding raw with out doing enough research.

With all of the recent recalls, what kibble are you giving your dog/s?

Has it changed your outlook on feeding (meaning, are you giving it more thought when purchasing foods, looking more at the ingredients, etc?)

My 4 are currently on Innova EVO Red Meat. We are on our second bag of it and they are doing well. They are a bit gassy still, so I may be switching them to something different. The protein level in RM is a bit high for my liking, too, but I wanted to try it out.

They still get their occasional raw meals when I've got a chance to prepare one.

A bunch of friends/family have been asking me what they should feed their dogs and really I'm afraid to give any advice anymore. It's getting really scary.

(If you are feeding raw completely, there's no need to reply, this is for kibble feeders only. :) )

Giselle
04-21-2007, 02:33 AM
If anything, this recall simply reaffirms my belief in homemade dog food, be it raw or cooked. I've seen wonders with both, most notably my own dog Lucky. Thus, Lucky gets homecooked and Giselle gets raw w/ EVO supplementation.

Ivy is getting Innova Large-Breed Puppy since I don't have the guts to home feed a puppy, much less a large (and heavy) breed. I know it defeats the overall purpose, but I'd rather do this than have the possibility of a dysplastic dog. I think too much, eh? :p

Alasse
04-21-2007, 03:27 AM
My guy get Supercoat Large Breed

chocolatepuppy
04-21-2007, 05:41 AM
Lucky gets homecooked

Giselle, can you, or anyone else, give me some info on homecooked food?

pitc9
04-21-2007, 07:28 AM
The Wellness I feed my dogs is called Wellness Simple Solutions, and it's incredibly good for dogs with sensitive tummies. It has no fillers, and is good for dogs with various food allergies. They do have a venison formula, and mine love it :) It's kind of expensive...bot sure if it's more pricey than the other stuff you mentioned, probably not. A lot of pet stores don't carry it though.

The store I go to for dog food just started stocking Wellness, and I bought a sample bag of it (haven't given it to the dogs yet :o )

Sierra can't have poultry so I bought the Sweet Potato and Venison (I think it was Venison, either that or fish) formula.
Isn't it made by Mother Hubbard??
I think I'm going to make the switch.

pessimisaurus
04-21-2007, 10:13 AM
All 3 of mine are on Innova EVO (http://www.evopet.com/)- the regular Evo, not RM, the RM is too high protein (the regular already has more than most foods), plus its more expensive for some reason. My cats are on Evo too and have been for a while. They all do really, really well on it, Im amazed.

I used to have only Alki on it, I switched her to it a while back because I was going through dog food so fast, I had to feed her (and Brock) almost double the suggested amount of foods because they are so active. So the woman at the pet store I go to told me about Evo and Nature's Recipie's Raw Advantage kibbles- both mimick raw diet and are high protein, good for active dogs. So I tried her on that but her stool was always kinda weird, so I switched to Evo and have never gone back! lol

Because of Brock's pancreatic disease he cant digest fat or protein very well, so I had tried him on a few of the lowest fat & protein and highest fiber good foods I could find and he did best on Canidea, plus I knew he liked that food, he was on it before I adopted him and I remember him picking it out of the Wellness I had him on at the time. lol BUT!!! I just ran out of his food last week and started feeding him the Evo and am shocked at how good his stool has become! Especially because of his disease, its amazing.

Royal was on a couple different puppy foods (Merrick, Orijins) and had diarrhea/not great stool on both, so I put him on Evo too (its not a "puppy" food but says its good for all life stages. my dad tells me puppy food is overrated anyway. AND evo has high protein which is the biggest difference in puppy foods anyway) and he is doing awesome as well!

I also feel good about it because it has NO grain- no rice, wheat, nothing thats been recalled, just potatos and meat, so Im HOPING Im safe. I felt safe in the beginning when it was just the "crappy" dog foods being recalled, but now that Royal Canin & Natural Balance are being recalled, AND they keep recalling more things every week, its really freaking me out. The brand of bully sticks I use were recalled for salmonella a couple weeks ago too! They are a local company. It said the incident was unrealted but geez what a crap time for it. Really makes you wonder, what the HECK is going on!?!? Why is ALL this happening? It is SO scary. :(

Ginger's Mom
04-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Well, I did pick up some Innova/Evo for Ginger last night, but she hasn't tried it yet (she had a sleep-over at a friend's house last night). But I had a nice talk with the owner of the store who has three dogs that he feeds Evo (including one gorgeous Rottweiller/Russian Sheepdog mix). I was also surprised to see that Evo costs significantly less than Blue Buffalo.

Roxyluvsme13
04-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Purina Crap? You do know Purina makes Mighty Dog. ;)
Yeah, I know. :p So, really, it's all Purina Crap.

LuckyNumber7
04-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Yes, Wellness is made by Old Mother Hubbard.

dukedogsmom
04-21-2007, 08:54 PM
Is it possible to make home made kibble? That would be really neat.

crow_noir
04-21-2007, 11:44 PM
Just a suggestion... Look up the benefits of supplementing a large breed puppy's diet with Elk Velvet Antler. (Yes, I'm almost repeating myself here from previous posts, but i REALLY believe in the wonders of this stuff.)

If anything, this recall simply reaffirms my belief in homemade dog food, be it raw or cooked. I've seen wonders with both, most notably my own dog Lucky. Thus, Lucky gets homecooked and Giselle gets raw w/ EVO supplementation.

Ivy is getting Innova Large-Breed Puppy since I don't have the guts to home feed a puppy, much less a large (and heavy) breed. I know it defeats the overall purpose, but I'd rather do this than have the possibility of a dysplastic dog. I think too much, eh? :p

tikeyas_mom
04-22-2007, 12:01 AM
Tikeya used to be on chicken soup for the dog lovers soul, but noone carries it here anymore :(:(... Its really annoying.. So I was forced to switch her to Nutro lamb and rice... she was doing okay on that.. (then when Daisy and Ebony came into my life) we changed thier food from Pedigree to Nutro.. They have been doing great on it so far. Some Nutro pet products were infact recalled, But only the wet food.

beeniesmom
04-22-2007, 10:46 AM
Beenie and Frankie are eating Nutro Lamb and Rice small kibble Dry and Merrick wet or Newmans own wet.

That is.... when I'm not feeding them homemade stews....

elizabethann
04-23-2007, 11:28 AM
Fenway gets a mixture of the following kibble:

Merricks Grammy's Pot Pie
Fromms
Nutro Small Bites
Innova

I think I will be eliminating the Nutro once he's done with this mixture. Not sure if I'll be mixing anything else or just sticking with the 3 other foods.

For can, Fenway gets Merrick, Innova and I just picked up some cans of By Nature manufactured in Londonderry NH. It has organic chicken & turkey in it. So far, he won't touch it! Grrrrrrr.....

And I cook him up some omlets once in awhile.

Quick note, a friend of mine has started making her own dog food. She says her dogs have a TON of energy now.

Suki Wingy
04-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Iams :rolleyes: my mom won't let me buy Niño's food because she is afraid I'll forget to one time and she doesn't want me putting him on Timberwolf Organics because they are so expensive but they deliver. We were about to swich to Blue Buffalo until that was recalled too. My neighbor has been feeding her viszla something that delivery called Natural something or natures something, I'll have to ask her again.

wolfsoul
04-23-2007, 05:16 PM
Normally I feed raw, but my dogs get a ton of exercise and therefore need ALOT of food -- they are skinny and it's getting expensive -- so I've started adding California Natural Lamb and Rice Puppy Food to their meals to keep up their weight (it has more fat and caloric density than any of the other foods I can find here, but I found a place in town that might have Acana and I'd really like to try their Extreme formlua -- really high in fat and calories). They have no problems eating kibble and raw together. It's been good so far, Solo has already gained a pound since I started last week.

M&M's Mommy
04-23-2007, 05:33 PM
Innova Evo Red Meat Formula.

Glacier
04-23-2007, 05:37 PM
I found a place in town that might have Acana and I'd really like to try their Extreme formlua -- really high in fat and calories.

Acana has a retailer locater thing on their website...http://www.championpetfoods.com/StoreLocator.aspx

I feed the Extreme formula in the winter to my working dogs who are hard keepers. Pacer and Ozzy in particular loose weight incredibly quickly. I've been very impressed with it. Even the Performance formula is higher in fat and calories than most pet foods(that's what most of my dogs eat). They also offer a buy 12 get the 13th bag free program at most of their retailers. I buy in bulk so I can't get that deal, but they knock 3 bucks off a bag when I order by the pallet(45 bags at a time).

wolfsoul
04-23-2007, 05:51 PM
Thanks Glacier, that's where I found the place in town that may sell it -- though I have never seen it there so I'm going to have to call and ask. :) I bet they probably wouldn't have that formula (not alot of working dogs around here) but maybe they could order it for me.

I know what you mean about them losing weight fast. My dogs are so hard to keep weight on. At one point I was feeding Solo 16.5 pounds of raw food A DAY. Otherwise in perfect health. The vet says it just must be the amount of exercise they get as neither one had worms or anything. Since I'm now doing the raw and mixing in the kibble and feeding them each three meals a day and tons of treats in-between, Solo has gained a bit of weight, Visa still hasn't but I'm hoping she will. What can ya do...intact working Belgians with high metabolisms. My excuse: They says that underweight dogs live longer. :p Atleast it's true.

sammy101
04-23-2007, 05:57 PM
Mine get Nutro Natural Choice Lamb & Rice formula. I've been watching the recalls closely to make sure that one doesnt get on the list too..hopefully it doesnt.

Cinder & Smoke
04-23-2007, 06:01 PM
I buy in bulk ...
they knock 3 bucks off a bag when I order by the pallet (45 bags at a time).

<gasp>
:eek:

45 Bags at a time!??
OMG!

And just how many days / weeks / months does that Last?

Cincy'sMom
04-23-2007, 06:04 PM
Cincy is still getting a mix of Nutro Lite and Science Diet Lite. It has been what works for her, and so far, netiher has been recalled.

Sadie and Spot are getting eagle Pack Holistic

Glacier
04-23-2007, 06:07 PM
I know what you mean about them losing weight fast. My dogs are so hard to keep weight on. At one point I was feeding Solo 16.5 pounds of raw food A DAY. Otherwise in perfect health. What can ya do...intact working Belgians with high metabolisms. My excuse: They says that underweight dogs live longer. :p Atleast it's true.

Wow! That's alot of food! That's why you'd be hard pressed to find a serious musher who feeds exclusively raw. It's just too hard to get enough fat and calories into a working dog. I supplement heavily with raw--mostly wild game, but the hard keepers especially, need the kibble too. I always giggle a bit when people say you can't mix the two. Every musher I know does it, usually in the same meal, without any problems.

I had to take Pacer to the vet this morning. They made me weigh him 3 times. He's lost 11 pounds since his last trip. The last trip was made in the off-season. This one he's just coming off his working season and is at his lightest weight.

I don't even have the intact excuse! All my dogs are altered and I still can't keep weight on some of them! :rolleyes:

Glacier
04-23-2007, 06:09 PM
<gasp>

45 Bags at a time!??
OMG!

And just how many days / weeks / months does that Last?

It comes in 55 pound bags. One bag equals 3 meals in the summer. 2 in the winter. I do a bulk order twice a year.

wolfsoul
04-23-2007, 06:32 PM
Wow! That's alot of food! That's why you'd be hard pressed to find a serious musher who feeds exclusively raw. It's just too hard to get enough fat and calories into a working dog. I supplement heavily with raw--mostly wild game, but the hard keepers especially, need the kibble too. I always giggle a bit when people say you can't mix the two. Every musher I know does it, usually in the same meal, without any problems.

Totally -- I have tried and tried to keep with just raw, and it just isn't working to keep their weight up with their activity. Took me a while to realise that wolves in the wild running however many miles daily may eat only raw but they also eat an entire deer LOL.
As for mixing the two, I always used to be afraid of it -- you hear the "kibble may keep the raw back and the bacteria in the raw will make the dogs sick" theory. But my dogs tend to have loose stools when I feed them kibble, so the way I look at it, it's the raw keeping the kibble back! :p Dogs are dogs -- they will eat rotten things covered in bacteria and not get sick (my garbage hound is living proof). So I don't see the big deal mixing kibble and raw. ;)

Cinder & Smoke
04-23-2007, 06:39 PM
One bag equals 3 meals in the summer; 2 in the winter.

I do a bulk order twice a year.

<double GASP>

45 Bags x 3 Meals = 135 Days per Summer Pallet
45 Bags x 2 Meals = 90 Days per Winter Pallet

So that's at LEAST 3 Pallets a year ... wow!

Does the Dawg Food come like the Wood Pile does - via Tractor Trailer?
:D

lv4dogs
04-23-2007, 08:14 PM
All of my crew still gets raw, but due to other circumstances their diet varies more so lately. Some of it is related to special diets needs, time and financial reasons.
When not feeding raw Kaige gets fed EVO (a mix of the WM & RM). I occasionally mix about a quarter can of a decent brand (usually something with venison, rabbit, etc.. in it, the brand varries but the quality doesn't). And when not fed raw Raustyk gets a mix of her special diet (cooked hamburg, bread, rice, eggs, & vitamin supplements) with some Wellness senior along with more supplements & meds. She will also sometimes get a partial can of canned food.

mr.chiwawa
04-23-2007, 08:23 PM
I'm feeding Mister Life's Abudence. Here's the link if ya wanna read about it. All I know is that it helps keep his coat soft and skin mositurized. :D

http://www.healthypetnet.com/HealthyPetNet/Products/ProductList.aspx?realname=&Ath=False&hdr=&cat=0&category=Dog_Food&MSCSProfile=983BB0CC620F5E6D19C15DE49DDAB8075801BD 62A8E82A928F4C741A5B9894F15A109E343F76C7C06CDD087F AFDAFD5411249403E962DB7E00FD38EC26F91776091681BC40 136D197B5111994699383D84ADF3E172BE0B6B6DD0CC3D11E2 7B5020B8DD0CFE99503881FCAB747B8CBD225D24EA89F7CCCE FEDDFB2898BF469F2D

crow_noir
04-23-2007, 11:49 PM
I just get over those mentioned problems by feeding raw in the morning, then feeding kibble in the evening. (When i have raw available.)

The problem that worries me though is the problem of kibble and raw supposedly being one opposite sides of the pH scale.

As for mixing the two, I always used to be afraid of it -- you hear the "kibble may keep the raw back and the bacteria in the raw will make the dogs sick" theory. But my dogs tend to have loose stools when I feed them kibble, so the way I look at it, it's the raw keeping the kibble back! Dogs are dogs -- they will eat rotten things covered in bacteria and not get sick (my garbage hound is living proof). So I don't see the big deal mixing kibble and raw.

Suki Wingy
04-24-2007, 02:27 PM
I just started easing Niño into their Elk and Salmon today. I went out to Pet Supplies Plus last night because I was sick of all this crap about what my dog was eating. In what ways were they shady?

Kfamr
04-24-2007, 02:50 PM
I just started easing Niño into their Elk and Salmon today. I went out to Pet Supplies Plus last night because I was sick of all this crap about what my dog was eating. In what ways were they shady?

Quote from another thread, a few of the many problems I encountered.

I was feeding my dogs Timberwolf but I just do not trust them anymore. They are a very... off.. company. They refused to tell us yes or no when asked if they were associated with MenuFoods. It took them literally MONTHS to tell us how much Iodine was in their foods. Their customer service is just off and I was sick of finding different colored, sized, and looking kibbles in almost every single bag of food. I had to change formulas because it took my retailer a month or so to get in the Ocean Blue just because Timberwolf decided to change the packaging.

In reply to being questioned about their kibble sizes/color changes, their customer service rep. (Chris Porsch) said they were testing and seeing what their customers liked best. YET, there was nothing indicating that on the bags or on their website.

Bags of food were just inconsistant and I expect to see the same kibble as the previous bag when I open a new one (slight changes are okay, of course.)

Don't get me wrong.. I LOVE the ingredients.

lv4dogs
04-24-2007, 07:06 PM
I really liked TWO's ingredients, they were just too shady for me.

I've searched yahoo, google, ask, etc.. and can not find any info on TWO dog food. Do you have a link to their site?

Jadapit
04-24-2007, 07:16 PM
I've searched yahoo, google, ask, etc.. and can not find any info on TWO dog food. Do you have a link to their site?

http://timberwolforganics.com/

Lol! TWO is short for Timberwolf Organics.

lv4dogs
04-24-2007, 07:20 PM
Lol! TWO is short for Timberwolf Organics.

LMAO, that is too funny, I knew about them all along. lol (I've actually searched for "TWO" quite a few times the past year or so...shhh don't tell anyone) :p

Suki Wingy
04-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Kay, did your dogs do well on it though?

wolfsoul
04-25-2007, 09:12 PM
I just get over those mentioned problems by feeding raw in the morning, then feeding kibble in the evening. (When i have raw available.)

The problem that worries me though is the problem of kibble and raw supposedly being one opposite sides of the pH scale.
Unfortunatly feeding kibble alone gives my dogs diahrrea.

Kay -- they do say the more inconsistent the colour, the more natural the food is -- and I have found that this is correct when purchasing my own processed organic foods. Though since they said that wasn't the case, that really is weird. I tried Timberwolf when I got Visa and she had bloody diahrrea for the entire month of feeding it. I saved it for dogs that I sat and they all got bloody diahrrea too. I have been afraid of it since.

Kfamr
04-25-2007, 09:55 PM
They did perfectly fine on it.

Jordan, it wasn't the color that bothered me the most, it was completely different kibble shape compared to the rest of the bag. Like the Innova I feed now, it's square-ish kibbles, not exactly the same each kibble - if I were to find a round symetric piece, with a different color in there I would be concerned.

BC_MoM
04-25-2007, 10:11 PM
I feed my two Pedigree, and they do fantastically on it.
I no longer feed ANY type of canned food (and never will again), they get ham mixed in with their kibble.