PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Ball trouble

lovemymaltese
07-09-2002, 02:54 PM
My Roommates basset hound puppy loves to chew the soft fabric away from the surface of the tennis ball. The problem is he got this terrible cough. The vet said that his throat was inflamed. I think that the fabric got stuck in his throat. Anyone else have trouble with their dog or cat pulling the fabric from the tennis ball?

Dixieland Dancer
07-09-2002, 03:14 PM
Dusty will chew the fabric off the tennis ball and then chew it so hard that he splits the rubber in two. He has never had a problem though with fabric stuck in his throat.

lovemymaltese
07-09-2002, 03:23 PM
I know, I thought that it was wild, It is the only thing that I could think of though that would have irratated his throat. Your pup must have some powerful jaws to chew the tennis ball in half.

CountryWolf07
07-09-2002, 11:37 PM
That happened with my beagle, Rosie.. she did have some of the fabric stuck in her throat. That really freaked me out, but a little while after that, she was fine. After that happened, no more tennis balls for her. She has squeaky balls so that's better for her. - Rach

anna_66
07-10-2002, 07:53 AM
Tennis balls, Angus has chewed up more than I can count! He always tears away the fabric and spits it out, and as far as I know he's never eaten it.

Cincy'sMom
07-10-2002, 04:09 PM
Sadie chewed up many tennis balls when she was younger. Now Cincy does the same. Just this morning I threw one away she had cracked inhalf and was de-fuzzing! Cincy had some stomach problems ahile back from eating junk and tennis ball fuzz may or may not have been one fo the causes.

lovemymaltese
07-11-2002, 12:24 PM
Yeah, poor little Trooper has been forbidden to play with Tennis balls. At the moment he is steadily working on a rubber hamburger and a weird shaped rubber blue thing.

Crikit
07-12-2002, 11:18 AM
Both Smudge and Winter will chew away at a tennis ball if given the chance...more Smudge then Winter, Winter actually prefers to throw it in your lap when it's sopping wet, but she has been known to destroy them from time to time. That's why if I give them a ball to ball I make sure it's fairly hard to kill, in other words the rubber balls used for squash and racqet(sp? Haven't been awake long enough to think) balls. Only problem with those is that Winter gets them so wet that she can't hold on to them.

lovemymaltese
07-12-2002, 12:21 PM
Is that not the grossest thing ever, I hate grabbing ahold of a wet dog toy.

Crikit
07-14-2002, 08:54 PM
Yeah it's gross but I'd rather deal with slobbery dog toys then paying the vet to fix the damage from an eaten one...which is another reason the dogs don't get tennis balls they do nasty stuff to my dogs throats.

ChrisAK
07-19-2002, 01:43 PM
Try raquette balls. :)

lovemymaltese
07-28-2002, 02:39 PM
hey, that's an idea!