PDA

View Full Version : Help Fish Experts!

Kalei
04-20-2007, 12:12 PM
I have two questions. I was wondering what the biggest is that a AngelFish will get? I've never owned Angelfish before and I don't want to own one if it gets as big as Queen lol. So just wondering if they stop growing as any point and how big they get.

Also I found this aquarium decoration that I would love to get, but I"m not sure its safe. It says csa approved for canada and us and 100% safe, but I am still not sure. Maybe somebody on here has seen it or heard of it before? Here's a link to one: http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-CRYSTAL-AQUARIUM-FISH-ORNAMENT-LIGHTS-UP-IN-TANK_W0QQitemZ150112323704QQihZ005QQcategoryZ66791 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

my father just keeps saying that electricity and water don't mix, but its so pretty and it says that it is very safe. What to you pt friends think?

Thanks so much!:D

Blue_Frog
04-20-2007, 12:39 PM
Hey Kalei!

How is Queen doing these days? You looking for a friend for her? I had an angelfish once named Bitey - he got to be about 8" (about 20cm) from the top of his dorsal fin to his bottom fin, and was a gorgeous fish :) Heres a Wikipedia article with lots of information about Angelfish http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freshwater_angelfish

The ornament looks like it could be safe, as long as the electricity is shielded properly, and its rated for aquarium use. I have an underwater bubbler that has an electrical cord in it, and there are submersible heaters on the market that also have submerged electrical cords. However, if it's poorly made or has faulty wiring then it could cause lots of damage to the fishies.

Kalei
04-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Hey, thanks so much for the info. You made me feel a bit better about getting the crystal thingy. I'll make sure to check it over very good, I work at an electrical distributor with Electrical contractors everyday, so I could get them to look at it and make sure its all wired good.

And Queen isn't doing so well:( It looks like she might have to be released into a pond sooner than I thought. I got the ammonia level down, but she just hasn't been herself for the last few weeks. She use to swim around alot and now she just stays in the middle of the tank staring off to infinity or goes and sits in a corner for hours. I think she is maybe doing this because she feels she has no room to swim much and she just doesn't seem happy anymore.

So for her happiness, I think she will be released really soon:( I will miss her so much, but it seems to be best for her.

Whisk_Luva
04-20-2007, 02:43 PM
But it will be best for Queen... if you do you will be doing the right thing :)

sweetpatata6
04-20-2007, 02:48 PM
About Queen not being herself... Could the problem achually be of the absence of the other two fish?? I think that it is a timely responce for the time frame your saying this is happening.

IRescue452
04-20-2007, 06:10 PM
8" sounds right. Angelfish can be touchy about pH and water conditions. Its nice sometimes to find a store that already has them in the same pH as your water so that they are acclimated.

Kalei
04-20-2007, 10:12 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice, and I"m not sure if it is because I took out the other two fish or not, Even before I took them out,she wasn't swimming around very much at all. It's like she is bored or just feels like she doesn't have any energy to swim or something. I really don't know, all I know is that she hasn't been my happy swimming fish for quite awhile.

And 8" for an Angelfish isn't too too bad, its still much smaller than Queen lol.

Twisterdog
04-20-2007, 11:29 PM
I've had angel fish that were probably about the size of a coffee saucer. They probably get bigger than that. They are pretty fish to be sure, although maybe not the hardiest.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy that ornament ... in fact, I might just bid on one if there is another up for auction. That is indeed very, very cool!

IRescue452
04-20-2007, 11:46 PM
Try not to personify your fish too much. I know we like to think they have these complex personalities, but goldfish aren't really social. She's not going to get lonely or bored being the only fish in the tank. Hopefully she's slowing down right now due to healing. You've got your test kit and have been working hard on keeping the ammonia down so her body is taking a chance to heal a bit. You might see black spots along her fins and scales soon too. On the other hand, the excessive attention you've been giving the tank might be making her more stressed. But we'll hope its healing.