PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy and swimming

mina'smomma
04-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Ok here is a question for all the moms or pregnant women or anyone who can answer my concern.

I've been told that swimming is good for a pregnant woman, and I would love to be able to keep fit by doing that. Here is my concern. While I know that lakes are ok I'm not sure if pools are. I've been getting mixed reviews on it. The hotel next to my house has a nice pool that they let the public use for $10.00 a day.

So what do you guys think? Is it safe or no?

I do know that the whirlpool is definately off limits because of how hot it can get in there.

JenBKR
04-20-2007, 10:59 AM
From what I understand pools are perfectly safe. There's a fitness club by me with a pool that offers water aerobics for pregnant women that I think I might join.

Sirrahsim
04-20-2007, 11:06 AM
The only concerns I have ever heard raised about pools and pregnant women don't apply until after your water has broken. As long as your amniotic sac is intact, your baby is comfortably protected from all of the nasties in the water. I LOVE swimming while pregnant because it takes ALL the weight off of my back. We stayed in a hotel a couple of weeks ago and just standing in the water felt so good because it gave me a break from lugging around the baby weight :D I would start slow if you plan on swimming laps or something but your body will let you know if you are working too hard :)
As for the whirlpool- sitting up on the edge and just letting your feet soak feels great :) You are right though, getting in all the way is a no-no. :)

cyber-sibes
04-20-2007, 11:41 AM
Your body forms a vaginal plug that only comes out right before birth, so you don't need to worry about it. I swam in pools and loved it. Definitely easier than exercising on dry land. I also did Tai Chi, which is very slow & relaxing. I could feel my baby settle down, too, so I know he enjoyed it!
(I just noticed your due date range - my first was born on May 22nd!)

mina'smomma
04-20-2007, 12:35 PM
Your body forms a vaginal plug that only comes out right before birth, so you don't need to worry about it. I swam in pools and loved it. Definitely easier than exercising on dry land. I also did Tai Chi, which is very slow & relaxing. I could feel my baby settle down, too, so I know he enjoyed it!
(I just noticed your due date range - my first was born on May 22nd!)

Missy is due around the 22nd hun. I'm due the end of November.

sirrahved
04-20-2007, 03:49 PM
From what I've heard it's perfectly fine to swim in pools until you lose your mucous plug. That sometimes happens before your water breaks. From what I've heard, though, you know when you lose it!

critter crazy
04-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Pools are fine. I swam quite abit while pregnant, It was a great way to excersize!