PDA

View Full Version : Royal Canin dog food recalled

Jadapit
04-20-2007, 08:52 AM
Yet another food has been added to the recall list. I signed up for Itchmo's recall alerts, these people are really on top of things. I dont know if this will ever end. Here is the link to all the Royla Canin food that has been recalled. One cat food is also on the list.

April 19, 2007

Dear Royal Canin USA Customer,

It is with sincere regret that I inform you of a new and unfortunate development with some of our pet food products.

Although we have no confirmed cases of illness in pets, we have decided to voluntarily remove the following dry pet food products that contain rice protein concentrate due to the presence of a melamine derivative.

ROYAL CANIN SENSIBLE CHOICE® (available in pet specialty stores nationwide)

Dry Dog Food
- Chicken Meal & Rice Formula Senior
- Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Puppy
- Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Adult
- Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Senior
- Rice & Catfish Meal Formula Adult

ROYAL CANIN VETERINARY DIET™ (available only in veterinary clinics)

Dry Dog Food
- Canine Early Cardiac EC 22™
- Canine Skin Support SS21™

Dry Cat Food
- Feline Hypoallergenic HP23™

We are taking this proactive stance to voluntarily recall these products to avoid any confusion for our customers about which Royal Canin USA products are safe and which products may be affected.

Pet owners should immediately stop feeding their pets the Royal Canin USA dry pet food products listed above. Pet owners should consult with a veterinarian if they are concerned about the health of their pet. No other Royal Canin diets are affected by this recall and CONTINUE TO BE safe for pets to eat.

In addition, Royal Canin USA will no longer use any Chinese suppliers for any of our vegetable proteins.

This decision to recall some of our dry pet food products is driven by our philosophy that the “Pet Comes First”. The safety and nutritional quality of our pet food is Royal Canin USA’s top priority. Pet owners who have questions about this recall and other Royal Canin USA products should call 1-800-592-6687.

On behalf of the entire Royal Canin family, our hearts go out to the pet owners and everyone in the pet community who have been affected by all of the recent recalls. We are as passionate about the health and happiness of our customers’ pets as we are of our own, so we are committed to taking the steps necessary to ensure this never happens again.

Sincerely,

Olivier Amice
President and CEO
Royal Canin USA

Cities: All

http://www.itchmo.com/read/royal-canin-recalls-us-foods_20070420

JenBKR
04-20-2007, 09:22 AM
This is all starting to make me feel sick. I'm afraid to feed anything anymore! Thanks for keeping us on top of all this Donna, I am watching like crazy in case Chicken soup is recalled :(

Lady's Human
04-20-2007, 10:16 AM
For people looking for a possible safe pet food:

http://www.blueseal.com/petOwners.php

Reachoutrescue
04-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Thank you Donna for the update. This is horrible. When will it end? Everybody needs to go to Raw!! I hope no more animals die needlessly due to the ignorance of the food makers. Thank you again for letting us know.

Vela
04-20-2007, 10:28 AM
This is all starting to make me feel sick. I'm afraid to feed anything anymore! Thanks for keeping us on top of all this Donna, I am watching like crazy in case Chicken soup is recalled :(

I would be careful as they are made by Diamond, who processed the Natural Balance venison in question. I hope it's not in there but it's just hard to know, especially since they haven't named the other 4 potential dog foods they are investigating. I used to feed it to mine too until I put them on EVO bagged and canned and raw.

This truly is a nghtmare. Soda seems okay and only ate part of a can of the recalled venison but this is horrible for all pet owners. I don't know where it will stop. I hope nobody here loses a pet to it!

wolflady
04-20-2007, 10:43 AM
OMG! This is just getting rediculous now. I thought Royal Canin was out of the water. I only feed Royal Canin to both cats and dog. Should I feed it at all? :confused: Even though the particular type I feed (Royal Canin Mini -dog and Royal Canin Indoor - cat) isn't on this list, who's the say it won't be? Why wouldn't they all use similar ingredients? This is just so completely scary...I'm really wondering what to do at this point...

I have never heard of Blue Seal, what is it?

Lady's Human
04-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Blue Seal a food company in the northeast of the US. They make several lines of food, and according to the company, all the food ingredients are US sourced, so they haven't had an issue with the ingredients.

Jadapit
04-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Lady's Human, that's what Natural Balance said also but they still got the rice from China. I guess I will go with the Innova for now. I dont know what to do anymore. I pray that the corn gulten doesn't end up having the melamine in it also. Can you imagine if that happened? :(

Lady's Human
04-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Jada, the difference is US SOURCED as opposed to acquired from a US company.If they're just buying it from a company in the US it can be sourced from anywhere.

That having been said, I shudder to think how widespread the incidents would be if the chemical in question was applied to corn.

Jadapit
04-20-2007, 11:14 AM
Jada, the difference is US SOURCED as opposed to acquired from a US company.If they're just buying it from a company in the US it can be sourced from anywhere.

That having been said, I shudder to think how widespread the incidents would be if the chemical in question was applied to corn.

Thanks for the info Lady's Human. Here is some more intresting stuff if you want to read it. Melamine was found in the corn gluten in South Africa, it was imported from China. Why do the grains have to come from China? I'm sure it all comes down to cheaper prices.

FDA will not name companies until the companies say they used the shipment of rice protein in the manufacturing of foods.
Wilbur-Ellis started receiving shipments from the Chinese company in July of 2006
FDA has yet to test corn gluten after South Africa’s findings of melamine in corn gluten from China.
Blue Buffalo identified as one of 5 companies that received tainted rice protein.
Rice protein is less widely used as wheat gluten.
Rice protein will be screened at import.
Some contaminated products may have been used as pig feed.

List of Toxins Found in Pets Grows Longer, Pigs Fed Toxins
April 20th, 2007

If it wasn’t confusing enough, three more toxins were found in the urine and kidneys of sick pets.

Researchers in at least three labs found cyanuric acid, amilorine and amiloride — all by-products of melamine — in the crystals of animals’ urine, tissues and kidneys…

Finding cyanuric acid is the more significant finding, Hoff, Goldstein and Mullaney said, although they are not yet certain how toxic it is to animals.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Web site said, “When ingested (by humans) in large amounts, the substance may have effects on the kidneys, resulting in tissue lesions.”

Also, pigs that ate contaminated rice protein were slaughtered and sold before the government could quarantine them. It is not clear whether the meat made it into consumers’ hands. The pigs ate salvaged pet food from Diamond Pet Foods.

Researchers also ruled out aminopterin, previously announced by NY state. No explanation is given as to how this decision was made.

cyber-sibes
04-20-2007, 11:36 AM
:eek: What a mess!!!! I just saw the recall on the dog side. Who's next, do you suppose? I guess the best outcome for all of this will be better standards for quality control of pet foods--fingers crossed.

I switched to Canidae, they don't use wheat, corn, or gluten...but they do use brown rice. I'll keep watching their site, just in case.

JenBKR
04-20-2007, 12:10 PM
I sent an email to Chicken Soup, here was their reply:

Diamond Pet Foods has private label accounts. Natural Balance is one of
these accounts. Natural Balance has recalled 2 of their formulas that
are manufactured by Diamond. These formulas contain rice protein
concentrate. No other products manufactured by Diamond Pet Foods
contain this ingredient. It is a separate ingredient from white rice,
brown rice, brewer's rice, rice bran and rice flour.

We do not import any ingredients from China. None of our grains are
imported from China. We buy all of our ingredients from US companies.
We have requested that all of these companies provide us with letters of
origin for each ingredient that we use in our products. The corn gluten
that is currently under question is from Africa. And besides...Chicken
Soup is corn-free.

Janet L. Rettenmaier, DVM, MS
Veterinary Services
Diamond Pet Foods
Meta, MO 65058
ph. 573-229-4203

Vela
04-20-2007, 12:57 PM
Ahh good thanks for posting that, I'm glad to hear. I know that the rice bought for the Natural Balance was bought from a US source, that brought it in from China, but it looks like they are checking out that option to be safe. Thanks for posting.

buttercup132
04-20-2007, 01:34 PM
I JUST switched my cats to Royal Canin thinking I would be safe:rolleyes: . Good thing it's not that kind. Maybe everyone should just start feeding raw.