PDA

View Full Version : Approaching parents about kids tormenting cats?

Fuzzybuns
04-20-2007, 12:21 AM
There's a 6-8 month old black male cat that's come around a few times, well today I heard a commotion in MY front yard and there were 7 kids, ages from about 4 to 8 years, in a group close to my front door and I saw them stomping, kicking the air and waving a stick (I don't think contact was ever made). I ran to my front door just in time to see the kitty run from one set of shrubs to the next and I told the kids to "stop it and leave".
I was looking for the him and they started to follow saying "we were trying to get him out of your yard for you". I said "Out of my yard now. Animals are always welcome but if you torment animals, you're not.".
After the kids left, I got kitty to come to me and he's really sweet but he doesn't have tags. I think he belongs to somebody but I don't know who, otherwise I'd list off several reasons to them why their kitty shouldn't be outside. He was terribly spooked and kept hiding when he'd hear something.

Would you go and talk to the parents...even if you didn't know them or how they'd respond? What would you say?

This is another reason why I don't think young kids should be out unsupervised... I would be horrified if I ever heard of my daughter acting like that (and she wouldn't feel the sun again until she left for college or got married, lol)! I don't have to worry though...she has a very soft heart for all animals, especially cats.

RICHARD
04-20-2007, 01:50 AM
You'll probably get your lunch handed to you..

"MY CHILD WOULD never hurt an animal....."

---------

Next time I'd turn the hose on the little beesturds and say,

"OOPS! I meant to chase the cat away...." :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Fuzzybuns
04-20-2007, 02:08 AM
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking too. My husband was pretty upset with me for not saying anything to the parents when it happened, he had all sorts of ways he would've taken care of it. :rolleyes:

I just figured I'd be thought of as the neighborhood lunatic. I'm already the crazy cat lady because of how many have found their way to my house, not to mention the dogs that have too.

Next time I'd turn the hose on the little beesturds and say,

"OOPS! I meant to chase the cat away...." :eek: :rolleyes: :D

:D Now that's an idea!

Medusa
04-20-2007, 03:07 AM
That's a toughie. Parents will deny, deny, deny that their kids would ever do anything bad to an animal. As much as I'd like to pummel the kids, whenever something like that happens, I do my best to remain calm, turn the tables on them and thank them for thinking of me but I really don't mind if animals venture onto my property. Then I ask if they have pets, what kind, what their names are, etc. Makes the kids friendly toward me. As I said, I'd like to give them a good ass kickin' but .....

Laura's Babies
04-20-2007, 05:33 AM
Ewwww! I do not stay quiet when I see something like that happeneing.. I am screaming before I even think!

Rie and I were sitting out in the yard ones day and she jumped up and started screaming "STOP THAT! STOP THAT! STOP THAT!" Some kids had a poodle puppy (of their own), was holding it by it's back legs and throwing it high into the air. She came unglued and was so upset she started shaking!! They use to put it on a lease and drag it up and down the road..(I got on the everytime I saw them doing that too) They had NO business with a puppy. BY the time they moved away, the puppy was full grown and rather big and I can only hope, big enough to put those kids in their place. That whole family was crazy... :rolleyes:

Pawsitive Thinking
04-20-2007, 05:49 AM
I like Richard's idea :D

Medusa
04-20-2007, 06:11 AM
Let me be clear here: if I saw something like you saw, Laura, I would've jumped into action immediately and probably would've needed bail money. I just meant that when it comes to something like scaring off a cat or dog like the kids mentioned in this post, then I'd take a calmer approach. Hey, I'm no pacifist when it comes to protecting those without a voice, believe me.

catnapper
04-20-2007, 07:16 AM
Ahhh, hard one. Thats why I'd probably grab a camera first. Take a few pics, making sure their precious angel's face was clearly visible with stick in hand. Then when mom says her child could never do that, whip out the photo and tell her you figured she wouldn't believe it.

If parents don't know what their children are doing, how can they reprimand and correct them?

Pawsitive Thinking
04-20-2007, 09:42 AM
If parents don't know what their children are doing, how can they reprimand and correct them?

Assuming the parents give a d*** in the first place

catmandu
04-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Thats A Hard One As The Parents Prbably Dont Care You Can See It In The Attitude Of Thier Children.
Where The Black Cat Now?
I Hope That Hes Somewhere Safe.

moosmom
04-20-2007, 10:04 AM
Would you go and talk to the parents...even if you didn't know them or how they'd respond

I'd do what RICHARD says. I'd also take pictures to back up your claim like Catnapper said. Then when the irate parents come to ask WHY doused their "perfect" child with water, you've got proof.

Fuzzybuns
04-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Thank you everybody...I guess a combination of actions to suit the crime would be the best way. Medusa, I was thinking the same...had I seen them actually hurting the cat, somebody would have to chain me down!

Kitty came back this morning for some more Meow Mix. I had the office window cracked, happily surfing the net with my back to the window when the loudest most devil raising howl came from Churchy at 5:30am! Seems kitty was trying to get my attention by sitting right outside the window and, as it turns out, Churchy is a howler when strangers appear! Scared the mess out of me, lol! He's the first howler I've ever had...all my other cats (there's been alot too) have been thumpers (hitting the window). So Churchy's howling and Dixie's thumping (Toby wasn't very concerned about the whole thing and watched from the hall) was enough to make me lose it for a minute and I flew out of the chair taking the keyboard with me but leaving all my senses behind... :eek:
Anyway, kitty seemed fine, even felt a little warm. I'm thinking that somebody lets him out as they get up or as they leave for work. I wish they'd keep him in, or at least put tags on him.

Since we don't know his actual name, we've dubbed him Moses. :D

momcat
04-20-2007, 10:55 AM
This is a tough one for sure. I have zero tolerance for anyone mistreating any animal. Many parents have a blind spot when it comes to their own kids and truly believe they can do no wrong. I pray that none of these kids have a pet!
Approaching the parents is tricky because too many people take the attitude of "so what, it's only an animal." But far too often kids who mistreat animals go on to abuse people later in life or are being mistreated at home.
What these kids did was wrong and I can't help but wonder if they've been involved with other incidents of tormenting an animal.
There is a way to tell the parents about this behavior. We all know that the gentlest animal will strike back when he feels threatened or in danger. You could tell the parents what happened and say you don't want to see their kid get hurt by a frightened animal, dogs may bite and cats may scratch their abuser. Animals act out of instinct and the kid could wind up with painful injury from the animal trying to defend itself. Might be worth a try.