PDA

View Full Version : More recalls - Royal Canin

fragrancehound
04-20-2007, 12:06 AM
Royal Canin is recalling several formulations due to contaminated rice protein concentrate. No illnesses are confirmed in relation to these items.

Recalled items:

ROYAL CANIN SENSIBLE CHOICE® (available in pet specialty stores nationwide)

Dry Dog Food
- Chicken Meal & Rice Formula Senior
- Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Puppy
- Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Adult
- Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Senior
- Rice & Catfish Meal Formula Adult

ROYAL CANIN VETERINARY DIET™ (available only in veterinary clinics)

Dry Dog Food
- Canine Early Cardiac EC 22™
- Canine Skin Support SS21™

Dry Cat Food
- Feline Hypoallergenic HP23™

http://www.itchmo.com/read/royal-canin-recalls-us-foods_20070420#more-469

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-20-2007, 07:11 AM
Oh my, I hope this only for the USA? I didn't see or hear about a warning, and all 4 cats eat Royal Canin Indoor-outdoor :eek:

catnapper
04-20-2007, 07:13 AM
This is making me sick!

My guys have been eating RC for months now - both foods are prescription diet and not on the list, but this is way too close for comfort. I have to pick up more food for Pouncer today. Poor dude is already having kidney issues.... I don't need his expensive food to be a cause of renal failure instead of cure.

Craftlady
04-20-2007, 08:28 AM
Oh my, I hope this only for the USA? I didn't see or hear about a warning, and all 4 cats eat Royal Canin Indoor-outdoor :eek:

Nationwide products (see list)

kittycats_delight
04-20-2007, 09:39 AM
From what I know about Royal Canin they are always on top of things. The first signs and things are pulled to prevent any problems. I spoke with corporate headquaters in France and they assured me that all European Royal Canin products are safe. The have never used nor intend to use suppliers outside of Europe. Actually they said that each plant deals only with Royal Canin products and obtain their supplies from dependable supplier within that specific country. All food batches are tested before it is ever shipped to retailers.

As for the North American part of Royal Canin I do not know as I was enquiring for my girls. Both my cats and dog eat Royal Canin and I wanted to make sure we were safe. The last thing I need is my sweet felv+ Vixen getting something that may end up being bad.

I hope they get this under control. It just seems the list is getting bigger and bigger. I hope everyone's babies stay safe.

(((HUGS)))
Michelle

catmandu
04-20-2007, 09:49 AM
Nad Again Ths Is Supposed To Be A Premium Food Which Is Fairly Expensive. Does Noone Make Thier Own Product Anymore?

Zippy
04-20-2007, 10:19 AM
What in the world am I going to feed my babies?Will this madness will never end?Right now they are eatting the cheap whiskers because last night I had to run out and buy new food when the blue Buffalo was recalled.This is making me so mad. :mad:

wolflady
04-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I agree. This is all getting to be a bit rediculous now. I guess I just never realized that our expensive foods aren't even made here. I agree with you Gary, doesn't anyone make their own products anymore? Apparently everyone outsources to the same place since the contamination has affected so many brands. I pay a lot of money for pet food, and I expect it to be safe...*sigh*
At this point, how can we really know what is safe to feed our fur babies?? :(

Lizzie
04-20-2007, 11:51 AM
This was posted on the VetPet Digest today, and I'm wondering if I'm going to have to start cooking my own cat food or move back to Europe:

"I've looked on the various international commodity trading sites and it is
very clear that the price of wheat, rice and corn protein is directly
related to the protein content. Further, it appears that this is the only
thing that differentiates 'feed' from 'human' grade. In the case of wheat
gluten, supplies advertised as 'human' grade had a protein content of 80% or
higher while 'feed' grade offers or requests were all below 80%.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that these products have been spiked
with melamine to increase the nitrogen and hence protein content.

Having spent 30 years working with various non-Japanese Asian suppliers in
the electronics industry, I think it highly likely that these same suppliers
will find something else to spike their products with once they know that
they will be tested for melamine. They will dump their existing supplies in
places like Thailand and Brazil or anywhere else where they can be
reasonably sure they won't be tested.

There is basically nothing the U.S. buyers or government can do about this.
Test for melamine, they'll use something else.

If we ban a company, it will simply close down and reappear minutes later
under a new name.

Or, they will set up a front company in some place like Pakistan to sell the
product, although it will still be shipped from China complete with
documentation showing it originated in Pakistan.

There is a report today that the Chinese government won't provide visas for
FDA inspectors to visit these suppliers."

krazyaboutkatz
04-21-2007, 01:39 AM
Right now both Storm and Sunny are eating the Royal Canin Urinary S/O dry and wet food. Luckily it's not this presription diet that has been recalled. For cats it's the Feline Hypoallergenic HP23™ and for dogs it's the Canine Early Cardiac EC 22™ and Canine Skin Support SS21™.

I started feeding Pearl, Ziggy, and Sky Felidae Chicken & Rice in both the wet and dry. This food sounds safe to me because:
Brands include Canidae and Felidae
No products made by Menu Foods
All ingredients are grown in the US and are also processed here.
No wheat gluten is used in their products.
All products are free of corn, wheat, soy and all grain fractions
Canidae does not use Glutens in any form, and we do not import any ingredients from China or overseas. (from website 4/18/07)

Here's a link to the company: Canidae (http://canidae.com/).

I'm limited to what I can buy because Storm is allergic to fish and loves to eat it. If I buy foods with fish in them then he smells this and he won't eat his own food and then he'll get sick again. Felidae Chicken & Rice is one of the few foods that doesn't contain any fish in it.

kb2yjx
04-21-2007, 09:37 AM
Thank you for this thread!!! I realize that I am a day late, but I have called my vet, 2 cats eat the Hypoallergic 23 dry!!!