PDA

View Full Version : ? Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunt ?

kuhio98
04-19-2007, 06:24 PM
Does anyone know what this means? Or have experience with such a thing?

Here's the adorable Mya http://www.imom.org/pin/general/images/mya.jpg She is a 4-month old Shepherd mix.
She was lucky to be rescued by the Critter Connection League in Detroit, but now she needs this surgery.

From her iMOM (http://www.imom.org/pin/general/mya-critterconnection.htm) page:

My name is Claudia from Critter Connection League. In January, I rescued Mya from a yard in Detroit. Poor Mya had a bad start in life, she came from a home with many neglected dogs. She was left out in frigid temperatures, and survived due to a call to my organization from a concerned neighbor. She showed no signs of being sick for the first few weeks until I foster her out to one of my foster families. Her foster family sensed something was wrong with Mya. After she ate she would show signs consisting of mental depression, drooling, and abnormal motor activity. They thought maybe it was the food, but we found out that she had an intra-hepatic portosystemic shunt. Having a shunt may have actually saved her. As all of us are now aware the Nutra Ultra Puppy food was on the tainted dog food list. Mya could not digest it because of the high protein; so she threw it up immediately, and became very, very ill. Mya is now on prescription food, and medicines. We are in touch with Michigan State University, and have a wonder surgeon, Dr. Beal. He is confident that this procedure will benefit Mya. If Mya's clinical signs worsen again in spite of the medical therapy, she may need to be hospitalized for further intensive care. We are hopeful in the next 6 weeks to get enough funds together, before that would happen.

IMOM Pet in Need (PIN)http://www.imom.org/pin/images/paw.gif
Mya - Critter Connection Rescue

Diagnosis: Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunt (IHPSS)

Amount of estimate: $5330 - Critter Connection can contribute $2500 and MSU is donating $500 from their Lucky Fund. We need to raise $2330
Spayed or neutered: No - will be done when Mya is well enough

Case worker: Diana C.

Please make a donation. There is no amount too small

As of today, only TEN DOLLARS have come in for Mya. If you can donate -- or know of other organizations that can help iMOM and Critter Connection give this baby a chance, please let iMOM know or post it on Mya's thread HERE (http://www.imom.invisionzone.com/community/index.php?showtopic=2619).

Freedom
04-19-2007, 07:09 PM
From the description below, it sounds like the tube from the liver to the heart is not working properly and will be by-passed with a shunt.

http://www.upei.ca/cidd/Diseases/cardiovascular%20diseases/portosystemic%20shunt.htm

cassiesmom
04-19-2007, 07:23 PM
She has this inherited condition called an intrahepatic portosystemic shunt. Which results in high levels of toxins in the blood because the blood doesn't get back to the dog's liver for filtering. She needs surgery to close it. Without the procedure she could develop liver failure. She is beautiful.

Freedom
04-19-2007, 07:26 PM
You got all that out of the gobbledy gook in that medical text I referenced? Wow, you are good!! :eek:

No seriously, thanks for explaining. I found the link but I still wasn't sure what the heck it meant.

cassiesmom
04-19-2007, 07:33 PM
all that nursing school wasn't a total wash! :) (2 jobs ago I was on a team that worked with patients going through the insurance coverage process for kidney, pancreas and liver transplants - I learned a TON)

kuhio98
04-19-2007, 08:01 PM
all that nursing school wasn't a total wash! :) (2 jobs ago I was on a team that worked with patients going through the insurance coverage process for kidney, pancreas and liver transplants - I learned a TON)Thanks for explaining it in English! I couldn't figure out what the heck they were talking about on the websites I found.

kuhio98
04-20-2007, 10:21 AM
It appears that a less invasive procedure has been developed. From Cindy with Critter Connection:
The procedure that Mya needs was previously done through surgery. Now they do not have to open her. They go in the jugular vein in the neck and with assistance of a cat scan along with dye they follow through with wires. The stint is put into the liver and the results are so much better. The dogs come out the next day with no stutures no pain and are not even aware they had any thing done. There is no blood loss and the success rate is great. I hope we can make this possible.

cassiesmom
04-21-2007, 10:54 PM
kuhio98, do you know how the fund-raising is going for Mya?

kuhio98
04-21-2007, 11:03 PM
kuhio98, do you know how the fund-raising is going for Mya?No, I don't. iMOM hasn't published an fund update which could mean that no additional funds have come in or the volunteer that usually posts updates is gone for the weekend.

You can follow Mya's update HERE (http://www.imom.invisionzone.com/community/index.php?showtopic=2619)

cyber-sibes
04-23-2007, 01:56 PM
We're sending prayers for Mya. It sounds complicated, will the surgery be a permanant fix or is this something she'll have to go through more than once as she grows?

kuhio98
04-24-2007, 01:46 PM
Fund updates from iMOM today:

GF - Anna Van der Merwe 3,410.00http://www.imom.org/pin/general/images/anna_van_sm.jpg
GF - Chappy Luzaber 420.00http://www.imom.org/pin/general/images/chappy_sm.jpg
GF - Duke Arbulu 604.00http://www.imom.org/pin/general/images/duke_arbulu_sm.jpg
GF - Dustie George 894.00http://www.imom.org/pin/general/images/dustie_george_sm.jpg
GF - Mya Critter Connection 160.00http://www.imom.org/pin/general/images/mya_sm.jpg

kuhio98
04-24-2007, 10:39 PM
Another photo of Mya showing her gorgeous eyes.
http://www.imom.invisionzone.com/community/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=2766

kuhio98
04-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Fund Update for Mya: $475

kuhio98
04-29-2007, 08:59 AM
Mya got a very nice donations last night! Thanks you so much donor.

Fund Update: $975 in donations.

IMOM was to match with a $300 pledge.

After that, Mya will have $1275 in her fund. That leaves another $1055 to raise.

The iMOM volunteers have started a virtual bake sale to raise funds for Mya's surgery. You can bid and follow Mya's progress (and see some hilarious photos of cupcake eating dogs) HERE (http://www.imom.invisionzone.com/community/index.php?showtopic=2619)

kuhio98
05-01-2007, 02:08 PM
5/1/07 fund update (http://www.imom.invisionzone.com/community/index.php?showforum=12)

We're making great progress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GF - Abbe Morana 165.00
GF - Anna Van der Merwe 3,410.00
GF - Buddy Shoesmith 353.00
GF - Chappy Luzaber 420.00
GF - Charley Okel 500.00
GF - Dustie George 894.00
GF - Dylan Edens 300.00
GF - Honey Pets Haven Rescue 466.00
GF - Justice Van Allen 391.25
GF - Molly Elkins 105.00
GF - Mya Critter Connection 1,320.00
GF - Nakita Speciale 0.00
GF - Shy Guy Aguilar 1,000.00
GF - Star Marcotullio 293.26
GF - Tucker Van Allen 226.14

kuhio98
05-13-2007, 10:16 AM
Mya's family posted this update in her thread on iMOM: http://www.imom.invisionzone.com/community/index.php?showtopic=2619

Mya is getting the same procedure where they go in and put the coil in to close the shunt. This procedure for sure is safer than the open surgery. As you know with any surgery the chances are higher for something going wrong when they have you on the table longer. This at least is done from the jugular vain in the neck. When talking to the vet they have been doing this for a number of years and the outcome is much much better. The biggest concern for us was that Mya was not gaining the weight like we hoped, but yesterday I stopped in the vet's an the scale showed 20 pounds. I sure hope that scale is wright. When I saw Anna on here I thought she was alot bigger and for sure knew she weighed more. I hope all went well with her. Now that Mya weights 20 pounds I am getting more nervous about the funds because they may want to do this very soon. Whatever is best for Mya is what we need. I am sure things will work out.
Last night my brother stopped by because his cable went out and he wanted to finish watching the redwings game. He was laughing so hard at Mya because she was on hyper trip. She was trying to chase the cat, and when that backfired she started up on Sandy doggie. She runs around so fast and does a power slide around the corner. Bammm.. He says my house is like the movie HOMEWARD BOUND. Mya reminded him of chance. The cat doesn't look like sassy, but he does have the attitude. I never thought of that before, but our bunch could be just like that movie. He had seen Mya before during the day, and wow what a difference. I told him we upped the meds and when she doesn't have food in her you would not believe the difference. I am glad he saw the two sides to her and how much this surgery will make her the puppy she deserves to be.
take care.
cindie

May 21st is right around the corner. Angels we still need to raise $940.00 for Mya before she can begin her second Phase. Mya has been here for almost a month and truly needs help, she is just a puppy. Please consider making a small donation to Mya.

sandragonfly
05-17-2007, 10:15 PM
I was gonna to donate but happy happy news -- mya is now at ALL FUNDS RAISED!! :D :D

now time for prayers, going out for this little mya that she'll survive this surgery smoothly.

kuhio98
05-20-2007, 03:48 PM
Update from Mya's mom today: cindie Today, 10:55 AM Post #188

Hey everyone,
Dr. Beal from MSU called today to let us know that it is on for Mya tomorrow. He is doing PhaseI and if all looks goods would go on to PHASE II. I am so excited that soon she will be fixed. YEAH!!! SPRING IS HERE FOR MYA!! Please everyone pray for her.
Cindie & everyone here at CCRL

kuhio98
05-23-2007, 10:01 AM
Well, Mya had her surgery. I'm not quite sure what to make of the update. If I understand it, it turns out that Mya has more problems -- or different problems -- than first thought. Anyone understand the medical part of it?

Diana C. IMOM Yesterday, 07:01 PM Post #198
I know everyone has been worrying about Mya and wondering how Phase I went yesterday. IMOM received the below email from Cindie this evening. Please keep Mya in your thoughts and prayers, she still has a bumpy road ahead of her.

Cindie's email:

Have to update you guys on Mya, although I am having a hard time digesting all of this. I went in and felt so good to hear that a black lab was done on Friday, and all went well. I also asked Dr. Beal about little Anna from on here, and he was assisiting her at Penn. All seem to be good. I was so happy to hear this. The percentage for dogs going back for phase III went down from 30% to 15%, and that was promising for us. The cat scan was done and Mya did well with the anesthea, but unfortunately they find a congenital vascular anomaly. Mya does not have a vena cava. All of the systems were consisitent with a dog with liver dysfunction and portosystemic shunting. The cat scan revealed an extremely rare (possibly never reported) vascular anomaly characterized by agenesis of the intraabdominal caudal vena cava. As a reslut, the portal vein merges with the hepatic veins to form the intrathoracic caudal vena cava. All other venous return travels through a large right azygous vein. Dr. Beal would like to consult with the doctors at Penn and other experts from around the country to see if there is anything that they can do for Mya. He already can up with a possible try that he thinks would work. This of course is something never done before, but he will get ahold of you guys very soon. This is all too much for me to handle, but I am keeping positive. For now Mya is on her meds and we are enjoying every moment with us. The cost would not exceed what we already have so that is good at least. For know I guess we just sit and pray. thanks for everything all of you guys did for mya!

mya & her family
cindie

kuhio98
05-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Update from today:

cindie Today, 08:25 AM Post #200

Nancy,
All of this to me is very hard to swallow for me too. What Mya has has possibly never been reported according to her doctor. Dr. Beal felt so bad for us because he was saying how the people that had picked up their dog with the liver shunt were far from appreciative, and how we were so nice compaired to them. Mya does not have a vena cava, which is an important vessel that carries blood from the lower extremities. the portal vein and the vena cava both meet up in the liver and filter out the blood. Mya was born without a vena cava, and a vein has taken it's place. Mya has all the sympthoms of a liver shunt because that blood vessel still is going around the liver instead of through it. Dr. Beal thinks he may have a procedure that would work. He is consulting with doctors at Penn and others throughout the country. I am trying to get over all of this disappointment, and think positive. Just think Mya could make a medical discovery that will help many other dogs in the future to have a future. I will keep the faith and wait for the doctor to get back to us. Dr. Beal said he would be talking to IMOM soon.
thanks to all of you guys for everything.
cindie & mya

sirrahbed
09-22-2007, 07:39 AM
Just found this thread as I am looking for any information about the shunt because my best friend Darla is trying to find anything about the condition, surgery and how to care for the pet up until the procedure can be done. I had never heard of it at all and will try more research later today.

Can anyone offer their experience about having this porto shunt??? She mentioned plenty of water and low protein diet but this little Yorkie Dudley is very sick. I think that being so small also affects the outcome???

Thanks for anything you could add here?

Here is a portion from Darla's email to me: Dudley is the puppy that belongs to Darla's son Chris and wife.

Poor little Dudley is not doing very good. They had more test today on him and they will find out more tomorrow the test today is to see if his liver is functioning good enough to go ahead with surgery. He is pretty sick little guy and if he can go ahead with surgery they will do it next Wed. in mean time they are wondering how to take care of him. I told them to feed him very low protein dog food and Blair found some today and then I also told her to maybe feed him small meals every couple hours instead of two meals a day. She said one of the Vets she talk to today told her this too. Also told her to keep lots of water down him and maybe this will help flush some. He is so tired sleeps most the time. The surgery will be done at a college by a Vet that has done them. I would ask on Pet Talk but I don't know who will answer me since no one really knows me. Just want to know how to keep him comfortable till surgery. He was so bad last night they did not think he was going to make it thru the night. But then this morning he walked around and was able to drink out of bowl without his head falling in it. Guess this is all sign of this. But once he gets surgery done things should be ok and he will have to be kept quiet and no running or jumping around for 2 weeks. One of Pam's dog had this but she had surgery right away and her dog was not this sick. Dudley is around 5 months old and they talk to the person they got him from it is someone that works with Chris and they said they have never had this problem with their Yorkies or any of the other puppies in the litter.

Darla_6
09-22-2007, 06:15 PM
Thank you Debbie for posting this for me. Dudley has his moments that he runs around some. After he eats he is really tired and then in morning he runs around and plays some and just now when I was talking to Chris I could hear him barking. The Vets just say he is very sick dog.

If any one has any more information on this I would really appreciate it my son and daughter-in-law just do not know what to do. Dudley is a Yorkie and only 5-6 months old. Thank you

ramanth
09-22-2007, 06:28 PM
I know this thread was bumped for other reasons, but how is Mya? Dr. Beal at MSU was one of the vets working on Chipper's case. He's a very sweet guy.

I have no experience with shunts, but I offer prayers to Dudley and his family. It is not easy seeing your pup sick.

kuhio98
09-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Oops, I see that Debbie and Darla have already found this thread. Sorry about that.

Last posting on iMOM said that Mya is doing well and is still looking for a permanent home.

Sep 5 2007, 06:46 AM Post #299

Diana,
Just want to let you know that Mya is doing well so far!!!!!!!!!! http://www.imom.invisionzone.com/community/style_emoticons/default/banana.gif I have been buisy with back to school for the kids, and we had to move our daughter into her college dorm. That was stressful for me anyway, but she is all settled in. I hope everything continues to be good. I have to get back to Dr. Beal about how much longer we have to give Mya her injections. I am not pushing anything so whatever he says works for me. It was funny when he sent us an email that started out "hows our little girl"? haven't had a episode in a week! I tell people not to bring up how Mya is because it seems I jinks myself when I reply she ids doing better. Today Mya scared me a little because she was like coughing or choking like she had a hair ball. All is good know though, and I had to seperate her from our golden because she was playing a little too hard for my liking. It should be no surprise to us that she would have hair balls since she takes sandy's tale and pull on it. I now know where they get the saying "YOU CAN"T KEEP A GOOD DOG DOWN! I am just so lucky that Sandy is so easy going and loves to play with Mya.
Well enough for know and we will keep in touch.

Mya (little trouble girl) & gang
http://www.imom.invisionzone.com/community/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=3700