PDA

View Full Version : Insensative Reporters ?

lizbud
04-19-2007, 04:32 PM
I've had this nagging feeling the last few days about the coverage of
the Blacksburg shooting of the students & teachers. I felt it has gone a
little overboard & intruding on people going through a horrific time. Do you
really think they go to far?

In Praise of Insensitive Reporters

We'd hate them even more if they didn't overcover the VT story.
By Jack Shafer
Posted Tuesday, April 17, 2007, at 6:43 PM ET
Virginia Tech shooter Cho Seung-Hui

Everybody is too busy right now consuming the Virginia Tech slaughter coverage to accuse the press of going overboard. But come tomorrow, those accusations will gather speed, and damnation will be heaved at specific journalists and media organizations for their excesses. Stories, interviews, headlines, opinion columns, and even anchor chatter will be judged as cruel and intrusive.

How far is too far? The gold standard for journalistic insensitivity was established in the 1960s by an unnamed British TV reporter who was trawling for news at a Congo airport. According to foreign correspondent Edward Behr's 1978 memoir, the Brit walked through the crowd of terrified Belgian colonials who were evacuating, and shouted, "Anyone here been raped and speaks English?"

Cold. Very cold. Yet yesterday and continuing into today, reporters from around the country—make that around the world—are posing a slightly more polite version of the Brit's question to the friends and family of Virginia Tech students.

If you don't like the way journalists tromp on raw feelings of the injured and the grieving to get the big story, understand that journalists don't like it, either. The public's conception of reporters as exploitation artists, eager to violate any moral code in pursuit of a story, has been stoked from the beginning by reporters themselves. They've routinely resorted to fiction to confess their profession's transgressions and those of their colleagues (The Front Page, Scoop, Citizen Kane, Absence of Malice, The Bonfire of the Vanities, et al.).

Yet journalists are more likely to whimper about the traumas done to their souls by all that they've witnessed—butchered corpses, abused children, burn victims—than to contemplate the ethics of how they got the stories behind those horrors.

There may be no tougher assignment in journalism than knocking on the door of a mother who has lost her young daughter to a killer and asking, "How do you feel?" Playing the news ghoul is made easier by numbing yourself to the anguish of the real victims with self-disgust. Another way journalists numb themselves is to slip the veil of compassion over their newsgathering
practices. Today, the Hotline spotted this craven dodge in online postings to Facebook by ABC and NBC. Both networks extend their sympathies to everyone at Virginia Tech affected by the killing, but add, hey, if you knew Cho Seung-Hui, "we have anchors and producers on campus that would love to meet with you" (ABC), and "We have producers and camera crews nearby ready to talk to anyone who can supply information about him and his movements leading up to the tragedy" (NBC).

A commuter jet falls out of the sky in Indiana, killing 32 people. It's a big story, but reporters don't fan out across the land to collect the sorrows of the surviving families. The topic doesn't fill the entire news hole. But if a student slays 32 young innocents, the press goes into overtime. Why should only the latter calamity rise to the level of a national obsession?

Because not all random, tragic deaths are equally horrifying. We handle accidental deaths by blaming fate, and then eventually make our peace. But murders committed at random discompose us at a primal level. They rob us of the false sense of security we use each night to tuck our children in to sleep. The Virginia Tech shootings also marked a new American death record, a detail that many outlets keep repeating to rationalize the news torrent they're producing. Add to all of the above the fact that the lives stolen were still green, that none of the promise nurtured by loving parents can ever be fulfilled, and you've got immeasurable sorrow. And immeasurable sorrow breeds immeasurable interest—not just from journalists, but from news consumers as well.

There's a thin line between responsible journalism and outrageous sensationalism, and bloodfests like the one in Blacksburg* tend to erase it. If the networks weren't pinging Facebook for leads, if the New York Times weren't compiling a "Portraits of Grief" for the Blacksburg kids right now—as I bet they are—and if the story came to a close tonight on Anderson Cooper's show, readers and viewers would riot. As reporters intrude into the lives of the grieving to mine the story, they should be guided more by a sense of etiquette than ethics. If they don't risk going too far, they'll never go far enough.

lvpets2002
04-19-2007, 04:47 PM
:( I sure do think they have gone far enough & thats too far.. They always do.. Keep in mind reporters are always worse than a goseher..

Pam
04-19-2007, 04:57 PM
I've had this nagging feeling the last few days about the coverage of
the Blacksburg shooting of the students & teachers. I felt it has gone a
little overboard & intruding on people going through a horrific time. Do you
really think they go to far?

Liz, my husband and I were just discussing this the other day. I am always amazed when someone has suffered a tremendous, gut-wrenching loss and some interviewer gets them on camera and asks questions such as "how did you feel when you got the news?" "what will you remember about your loved one?" How idiotic are these questions? What would anyone feel? Do we really need to ask? I know stations are always trying to get *The Big Story* but some of these interviews make me sick. My husband said he doesn't want to listen to any of this any more. The facts are out there and there is nothing we can do to turn back the clock. We can pray for the friends and families of the victims and those who are healing from their wounds but there is not much else that we can do.

I saw a forensic psychiatrist on TV this morning (I think it was Good Morning America) and he was very upset that the videos of the gunman are all over the TV no matter where you look. Why bathe everyone's minds in this stuff? We wonder why so many people are depressed nowadays. Just take a look at the media and the way we are fed all of the bad parts of a story over and over again.

Lady's Human
04-19-2007, 05:09 PM
The US Media? Insensitive?

Perish the thought!

(Though if it didn't bring them ratings, they wouldn't do it. What does that say about the public?)

cassiesmom
04-19-2007, 05:44 PM
When it goes too far, that's when I start listening to a CD or the radio a lot.

Jadapit
04-19-2007, 05:48 PM
I feel they have gone way to far, but that seems to be what the media does best. I dont think they should have shown the pictures or the videos that were sent to NBC. That's what the killer wanted, attention. The whole thing is so, so tragic. :(

finn's mom
04-19-2007, 05:57 PM
Well, it's not the first time or the last time that the media has gone too far or been insensitive. I watched one video of a student talking and one video of the cowardly assassin, and that's all. I have a problem with the overabundance of news coverage, so I don't watch it. Simple solution. Turn off the tv. Turn off the radio. They're only doing it because a LOT of people are obsessed with those kinds of stories. And, there are enough of those people still tuning in, unfortunately.

Edited to add that most of the time, the people being interviewed know what kinds of questions will be asked of them.

Daisy and Delilah
04-19-2007, 07:16 PM
I have personally stopped watching continuing coverage because of the way the media has handled it. They handle everything this way. I firmly believe that the media is to blame for a great majority of the problems in today's society. :(

The lengths these people go to to sensationalize something for ratings is incredible. I always look forward to someone doing something to regulate this problem but I know it's not going to happen :(

Laura's Babies
04-19-2007, 08:22 PM
My TV was on but I did not watch it.... it was just TO depressing.

RICHARD
04-19-2007, 10:38 PM
"your kid just got shot by some loony, how do you feel?"

By the same token.....

All the blithering students who are doing the media interviews?

My beef?

I was flipping thru the channels and saw the idiots from MTV.

I stopped because I saw the blck guy with the hat on..
I guess he has his dreads stuffed in there and he reminded me of the martian from the Flintstones...

Any way,
The "journalists" are all wearing VT shirts and asking stupid questions.

I counted 15 "UMs" and more "likes" than I imagined....Then I turned off the tube.

Killearn Kitties
04-20-2007, 05:33 AM
I really haven't seen this particular coverage, but reporting of that kind always irritates me. In the first couple of days, there were very few facts available on the Blacksburg shooting and when that is the case, comment and opinion fills the void. Those 24 hour news schedules have to be filled somehow.

It does always make me wonder why people give the interviews though. I am fairly sure that if I lost a family member in such tragic and bewildering circumstances, the last thing I would be prepared to do is talk to the press about how I felt.

RICHARD
04-20-2007, 05:54 AM
It does always make me wonder why people give the interviews though. I am fairly sure that if I lost a family member in such tragic and bewildering circumstances, the last thing I would be prepared to do is talk to the press about how I felt.

Since you are younger than I am you don't remember the 'old days'- reporters walking up to the front door and knocking..

Then the door would open up a crack and the people inside would tell the reporter to "GET LOST"...

Another thing I noticed are the FREAKED OUT kids that are too FREAKED OUT
by the FREAKED OUT guy that FREAKED OUT and shot up the school, they may be too FREAKED OUT to go back to classes.

I understand their fear but I'd bet dollars to donuts that they are in the safest school in history at the moment.

Talk about preying on peoples fears..
--------------------------

I want to punch Andy Warhol for bestowing 15 minutes to morons.

--------------------------

And why do the broadcasters HAVE to journey to the scene of the crime?

Pam
04-20-2007, 06:02 AM
Welcome back Richard! ;) It's good to see you here again!! You are right on target as is Killearn Kitties. God forbid if something like that happened to a friend or loved one of mine, the last people I would want to speak with would be people from the media.

Pawsitive Thinking
04-20-2007, 06:04 AM
Is there any other kind?

wombat2u2004
04-20-2007, 08:57 AM
Hey....Richard.....long time no see !!!! I've had trouble getting wombat sandwiches made since you have been gone :eek:

I suppose.....if there's a buck and viewer in it for the media, they'll just keep on keeping on !!!!!
Wom