PDA

View Full Version : Putting Cats on Freecycle....Why do people do this..

Anikaca77
04-18-2007, 01:35 PM
I'm so mad right now. During this week I have a seen 2 posts on people giving away there cats on Centre County Freecycle.

I can't believe that you can go and raise a cat up and then just leave them. Now I understand sometimes things do pop up and you may need to find them a temporary home but just looking at the one post from April 16th the cats are 9 years old. I'm sure they could live till they are 20 or so but man the poor girls.

Also, just like this other one...they are moving overseas....well why couldn't they take their cats they committed to them here and don't they know how many homeless cats there are out there as well as dogs, etc.

Well sorry for venting it just breaks my heart that people are giving away their cats for free and if they don't go to a home they will probably take them to the Centre Hall SPCA and they could be put done instead of adopted out.

-Melissa

Wed Apr 18, 2007
Offer: 2 cat moving and can't take with us

Our family is moving overseas next month and can not take along our pet
cats. We have had them for over 6 years, indoors and they have always
been together and I wish to keep them together.

They are both spayed, and current on vaccinations. They are great with
my 2 year old daughter and very friendly. One is yellow and the other
is brown tiger striped. I will be happy to provide you with a kennel
and some starter supplies such as food, litter, etc.

If you are interested please contact me a/s/a/p. Thank you!

Apr 16, 2007
OFFER: 2 cats due to child's allergies

Due to my child being highly allergic to cats we need to find a new
permanent loving
home for our 2 nine year old female cats. We are looking for a someone who
will enjoy them for the rest of their lives. Our 2 cats are sisters and
have always been together so they need to stay together. They are both
spayed, front declawed, and current on vaccinations. They are friendly,
excellent with children, and are used to living with a dog. Both of them
are tiger striped. Serious inquiries only. If you are interested please
email me and include a description of your living arrangements and that you
would be willing to provide references for me to check.

Thank you in advance.

Amanda

Karen
04-18-2007, 01:38 PM
Because they are looking for good homes to place their cats. At least they are not dumping them on the streets, or leaving outside the shelter. Moving a cat overseas often involves a long quarantine, especially as places without rabies want to make sure no animal introduces it to their country. And people would rather place a loved cat in a good home here than subject a kitty to months away from them in quarantine.

Freedom
04-18-2007, 01:40 PM
I don't belong on Free Cycle, but I' ve seen similar on craigslist. A 14 year old cat, "had her since she was 9 weeks old," was free to good home, and a 9 year old pug "going blind" was also free. Grrrr!

I get upset looking, and I find it hard not to take them ALL!!

Anikaca77
04-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Because they are looking for good homes to place their cats. At least they are not dumping them on the streets, or leaving outside the shelter. Moving a cat overseas often involves a long quarantine, especially as places without rabies want to make sure no animal introduces it to their country. And people would rather place a loved cat in a good home here than subject a kitty to months away from them in quarantine.

I understand they are looking for a good home but why would you want to give away your pet. I understand that there are long quarantine periods but what happens when no one responds to an ad on Freecycle and it's time to go. What do you do with the cat then? You take it to the shelter or leave it go or whatever. Please don't take what I'm saying the wrong way but it just doesn't seem right for people to try to give their cats away for free.

carole
04-18-2007, 03:23 PM
I understand where you are coming from, I see many adverts the same here down under, usually it is the going overseas one,people just don't take the committment of having a pet seriously really, let's face it, i do suppose though in some cases they never intended to go overseas, but something came up, usually a very good oportunity to make good money, and who is the casualty in all this, the pets,and yes people should make more of an effort to try and take their animals with them,i often wonder what does happen to these pets when the time is up and no-one is prepared to take them, hopefully a lot of happy endings, however i do praise the people for making a conscience effort to re-home their animals, not simply dumping them or giving them to a shelter,and you can tell by the adverts they are well taken care of animals, and have been loved,it still is a shame,but sadly it is a fact of life, animals are dispensable,and people will just continue to do so.

lvpets2002
04-18-2007, 03:45 PM
:) I just got a posted e-mail of where I am located off Freecycle of a Free Kitten to good home.. I agree with Karen at least they didnt dump them on the streets.. **Now I at this same time got a E-Mail from one of my Rescue Services on 6 puppies was just dumped in the middle of a busy highway.. She & a friend played round up & have them now.. I will post them on Rescue later.. I am just getting to the point I would rather people if needed put a add on Freecycle.. :)

Laura's Babies
04-18-2007, 04:01 PM
Grrrrr! Life does throw things at you that you can not help or control but to "give away" your faithful companion to strangers? :mad:

Catty1
04-18-2007, 05:09 PM
These people seem to be caring...I am sure that Freecycle is just one of many options for them.

What would be helpful is to contact them with the names and contact information of rescues or other resources in their area. They need help here, and so do the pets.

Medusa
04-18-2007, 05:15 PM
Cats and dogs are still legally considered as property and unless/until that changes, this situation won't change. It's sad that they're doing this but at least they're trying to find homes for them instead of dumping them. My friend moved back and forth from England to AZ a couple of times, each time having to quarantine her dogs. She hated it but she did it. Now she's back in England to stay and her pups are w/her, happy as can be. It can be done. People just don't want to do it. Laziness.

phesina
04-18-2007, 05:32 PM
What really makes me furious is when these people give them away for free. That is one of the easiest ways that people get animals who tell you they "just LOOOOOVE your cat or dog and will give it a WONDERFUL home".. and they are really going to use it as a research subject or bait for their pit bulls.

I hate people. Grrrrrr.

Pat

catmandu
04-18-2007, 07:23 PM
Thats one thing I will never do with the Found Cats.
No matter what happens there a place at the Pampered Feline where they will get the best of care and a great place where they will be together until we meet again.
JJJ3 even has a Whiskas Temptation clause , and there money for take out.
Until we meet again.
One Fine Day.

catnapper
04-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Unfortunately we see this too often on our freecycle. Someone was offering 2 4 month old kittens last week because they were expecting a baby soon. Umm.... didn't they know they were pregnant when they got the kittens last month? Dumb idiots

Anikaca77
04-19-2007, 07:16 PM
I understand that these people were and are trying to do the best for their cats it just makes me sometimes so made when there are so many homeless cats already in the world. But I do have to say at least they are trying to find a good home. I haven't seen any posts yet on freecycle saying they were taken yet. So we'll see.

K & L
04-19-2007, 09:12 PM
I hate free since there are those out there looking for this for test animals, food for their snakes (kittens mostly) etc. I always figure if someone is willing to pay then they will be getting a decent home.