PDA

View Full Version : Missy is missing her front tooth!! :(

M&M's Mommy
04-18-2007, 12:49 PM
It was there yesterday, not there anymore this morning! :confused: She's 16 months old, so could it be that she's loosing her baby tooth, and new adult one will come in, or she's loosing her adult tooth and will have to go through life toothless ?? :( I feel terrible because I let her chew on a busy stick yesterday, maybe it was too hard it broke her tooth??

pitc9
04-18-2007, 01:18 PM
At 16 months old, as far as I know, all baby teeth are gone.
Does it look swollen where the tooth was?

pessimisaurus
04-18-2007, 02:45 PM
dogs lose their last baby teeth (usually the canines are last) at 6 months, so that is not a possibility. unless of course she didnt lose some of them like she was supposed to and it finally got loosened up somehow.. its common in small dogs to have their baby teeth impacted and need to be removed under sedative/anestesia. she should only have 6 teeth between her canines on top and bottom, if she now only has 5 then she lost a tooth and it wont be coming back. not a big deal, it happens sometimes! if youre concerned you should have your vet take a look, s/he can tell you whats going on.

M&M's Mommy
04-18-2007, 03:17 PM
dogs lose their last baby teeth (usually the canines are last) at 6 months, so that is not a possibility. unless of course she didnt lose some of them like she was supposed to and it finally got loosened up somehow.. its common in small dogs to have their baby teeth impacted and need to be removed under sedative/anestesia. she should only have 6 teeth between her canines on top and bottom, if she now only has 5 then she lost a tooth and it wont be coming back. not a big deal, it happens sometimes! if youre concerned you should have your vet take a look, s/he can tell you whats going on.

Does it look swollen where the tooth was?

It doesn't look swollen at all, and she's fine. I swear she had six little teeth yesterday, this morning there were only five!! :(

Canis-Lupess
04-18-2007, 03:22 PM
So it's one of the incisors then?

Our Jess has lost two of hers during her life although not as young as yours. She lost them from chewing things etc...It's not caused her any problems. Both the ones she lost are on the upper jaw.

Her father lost nearly all his incisors on his lower jaw as he got older. Again, it didn't bother him. I think it is more a cosmetic thing than anything else and dogs don't give a damn about vanity.

M&M's Mommy
04-18-2007, 03:28 PM
So it's one of the incisors then?

Our Jess has lost two of hers during her life although not as young as yours. She lost them from chewing things etc...It's not caused her any problems. Both the ones she lost are on the upper jaw.

Her father lost nearly all his incisors on his lower jaw as he got older. Again, it didn't bother him. I think it is more a cosmetic thing than anything else and dogs don't give a damn about vanity.

This is the second one from the left on her lower jaw. It seems to bother me more than it does her, because it's kidda sad for me to look a the little hole where her precious tooth used to be :(

Poor Missy, she losts her teeth so young :(

No more busy stick.

lizbud
04-18-2007, 04:17 PM
If it's one of her adult teeth, I think I would have a Vet check her mouth
just to check for any other problems.(I'm a worry wort)

M&M's Mommy
04-18-2007, 05:37 PM
If it's one of her adult teeth, I think I would have a Vet check her mouth
just to check for any other problems.(I'm a worry wort)

Thanks. I think i would take her to see the vet later this week, or next week. Adult teeth, specially dogs', supposed to be rooted very firm, so I don't think it should fall out like this, right? :confused: :(

lizbud
04-18-2007, 06:06 PM
Adult teeth, specially dogs', supposed to be rooted very firm, so I don't think it should fall out like this, right? :confused: :(

That's what I would think too, but like I said ,I don't feel comfortable
until I know for sure. :)

Canis-Lupess
04-18-2007, 07:36 PM
It's surprising how rough dogs can be when they chew on things that even a healthy tooth can be pulled out. The tooth can be snapped right down at the gum too.

There was never anything wrong with our Monty and Jess even though they lost some incisors due to rough chewing and BCs often aren't even penalized in the show ring for having broken/lost teeth etc...because they are reknowned as chewers etc...

By all means have her checked but I don't think you need to lose any sleep over it. You'll get used to seeing her with the gap even though it might seem a little disappointing to you at first.

Kfamr
04-19-2007, 08:53 PM
Poor girl! Ah well, she's still cute. :D

Dorothy39
04-19-2007, 09:19 PM
Missy~ I would take you if you didn't have a any teeth at all!!!!

You're such a Sweetheart!!!!!