PDA

View Full Version : A question for those with more than one dog

Pam
04-18-2007, 05:53 AM
When you walk your dogs do you take them together or take them one at a time? I always take Bella and Ripley together and I use two leashes. It was a little difficult in the beginning because they would change sides frequently and the leashes would get tangled. Fortunately they have gotten into a routine, (with a little prodding from me :) ) and now Ripley walks on my left, the side of the sidewalk with the mailboxes, (guess why? :o ) and Bella walks on my right side. I had bought one of those dual leash thingies but have gone back to the two leashes now. Now that the weather is better I really hope to get back to walking them every day.

critter crazy
04-18-2007, 05:56 AM
Well With my two brutes, I used to take them for seperate walks, but now they go together. I use a Dual Leash, and i think it is great. Makes things so much easier. :)

husky 1
04-18-2007, 06:14 AM
I usually take suka for her walk first as she can only go for short walks , other 3 go out together .

dogzr#1
04-18-2007, 06:40 AM
We usually take all three of them together. However, I take Prince because Molly and Astra are too strong for me. My brother takes both of them.

Rachel
04-18-2007, 07:02 AM
Like you have experienced, Pam, it takes getting into the routine here before the two can be walked comfortably together. Unfortunately we have not done much walking and if we want to start up it will have to be one at a time for a few times. Strangely my *good dog* is my worst walker and my goofy girl can settle into it rather quickly. No connecting thingys here either. Tried that determined the two of them were stronger than I could *correct*.

Pam, your *Walk the Poodle* smiley is a hoot.

Canis-Lupess
04-18-2007, 07:45 AM
When I had two, I used to take them together. When I was younger and I used to stay at my dads, I'd take 5 out together.
Seperate walks are too time consuming when each dog needs a decent walk. I'd spend the whole day just walking them, lol.

pitc9
04-18-2007, 07:56 AM
I walk mine together.
When I adopted Buddy he had already been leash trained and is a perfect Angel on a leash. Stays RIGHT by my left side and doesn't walk in front of me or even move without checking with me first. He'll look up at me and I'll tell him "Go Ahead" and he'll sniff and pee on everything.
Sierra on the other hand, Ugh... she's a handful! She pulls, she stops and stiffs everything, etc. But with Bud being so good, it's almost like I'm only walking one dog! Sometimes I even tuck Bud's leash in my pocket and don't even hold on to him he's so good. Plus this way I have an extra hand to try to control Sierra. :rolleyes:

ramanth
04-18-2007, 08:02 AM
I walk Kia and Chipper at the same time. We use a dual leash. It took Kia some time to get used to it since she was used to having 6 feet of leash and now she has about 4 feet.

k9krazee
04-18-2007, 08:17 AM
Well...I walk them in groups. Shadow usually always goes alone beause she can't go as far. Sometimes I'll walk Micki, Mini and Jack together, or Shadow and Kyra, or Micki and Jack, or Mini and Kyra...I used to get into a routine and walk the boys in the morning and the girls at night. Sometimes I walk Jack, Mini, Micki and Kyra together and if I'm feeling good that day, and its either later at night or early in the morning, I'll walk all five. They have a method, Shadow heels on my left side the furthest away from me, Jack next to her and Micki closest to my leg. The girls aren't that obedient and Kyra's uaually out and front and Mini slightly behind me on the right side. But my mom likes to go for walks too so we usually go together so we can take them all. You don't want to be around my house when you only take a few dogs out for a walk. Even Shadow howls, it's pathetic.

Flatcoatluver
04-18-2007, 08:51 AM
Well I don't take the dogs for walks normally, but if I do they walk together. Just recently, I started walking them seperatly to get ready for our rally-o trial coming up.

Aspen and Misty
04-18-2007, 09:04 AM
Nova is a HORRIBLE walker (and car rider). I don't take her anywhere if I don't have to...however, I have been walking her recently and she is getting slowly better. I just get so frustrated because I hate being pulled and she will not stop it. I have to walk them seperate because of Nova though. Konnor has been taught how to heel and just walks by my side the whole time, he is such a good boy.

Ashley

cali
04-18-2007, 09:32 AM
uuuh with 7 dogs I most certainly do NOT walk them all together lol but I do walk them in groups. I walk my own 4 together, usualy with leck and Rusty on a coupler, and Misty on the Haltie, and Happy off leash. if I am taking care of my moms as well, then I either walk my 3 girls together, then Rusty and Blair toegther, followed by Ripley and perky together. or I walk my 4 together followed by my moms 3 together.

DrKym
04-18-2007, 09:49 AM
I walk the three together, the Dobies get tired of Goof getting corrected and they herd her into the middle so that they can step on her if she starts pulling. I think they picked that up from the fact that more than once they got an accidental correction while I was trying to get the Diva to pay attention(attention span of a gnat ya know :rolleyes: )

It usually isn't a problem, unless the ice cream truck is around..............

Pawsitive Thinking
04-18-2007, 10:01 AM
I walk my two together. They both have retractable leads which I hold in my right hand leaving the my left hand free for important jobs like poop scooping and hauling them back when they spot a c-a-t before I do :D

My Peanuts
04-18-2007, 11:19 AM
LOL, ALL TOGETHER AND IT'S MADNESS! :D

I walk all 4 together, but I always take another person. I have one splitter for Harley and Morty who do well together and I give that leash to the other person. I take Sylvia and Jimmy on separate leashes. They are both escape artists and I know how to handle them. Jimmy doesn't understand the leash I think because he never had one when he was on the streets. He zigzags the whole way. Poor Syl is not as fast as the boys and when she was on the splitter she just got dragged, so she needs her own leash.

We have to take all four because if I took them one or two at a time the ones left home would cry and scream the WHOLE time. I've tried it, they get too upset. ;)

Last night my mom and I took them for a walk, but for about a block and a half I took all four, it really wasn't bad, but the non-splitter couple got tangled with the splitter couple. :) :p

luvofallhorses
04-18-2007, 11:21 AM
I walk them seperately because I have 3 big dogs and a small dog.
I probably could walk Rocky & Ginger together, though. :)

Jadapit
04-18-2007, 11:27 AM
I walk all three of mine together. Diamond and Ebony to my right, Jada to my left. I've had so many people stop and tell me what a good work out that must be. One guy told me I needed a sled. Lol.

Pembroke_Corgi
04-18-2007, 11:41 AM
If Eric comes along, I take the corgis and he takes Adele. If I'm by myself, I take the corgis together then Adele separately. Del's a big puller so if she's with the other 2, they all go really fast and it's way too much for me to handle. Del walks slower when I walk her alone.

My Peanuts
04-18-2007, 11:45 AM
I walk them seperately because I have 3 big dogs and a small dog.
I probably could walk Rocky & Ginger together, though. :)

Right, the only reason walking my pack works is because they are all between 19-24lbs :). So weird since we didn't plan it that way :p

Cinder & Smoke
04-18-2007, 12:54 PM
LOL, ALL TOGETHER AND IT'S MADNESS! :D

... for about a block and a half I took all four, it really wasn't bad,
but the non-splitter couple got tangled with the splitter couple. :) :p

:D

We told some Tails about the FurKids, their frequent house guests, and our
"experiences" with our many Y-Thingies and Couplers ...

Cinder & Smokey learned how to manage their Y-Thingie pretty early in the game -
after experimenting with passing on opposite sides of trees, posts, and fire hydrants ...
they've learned to "take turns" as "lead dawg"; and #2 usually abides with #1's choice
of the passing side for fixed objects. We're still "working on" Dad's legs! :eek:

Along came Bowser, and even though he was severely challenged to keep up
owing to his somewhat "abbreviated" legs ... he gave the Big Guys a good run for their money.
Sadly, his Degenerative Myelopathy has worsened to where he has difficulty keeping up with C&S;
so he now "skips along" on his own leash, while C&S romp along on a Y-Thingie and often drag the common leash. It does get "interesting" when I have to hold
both the pair and the Bowz ... we can "braid" a nice trio of leashes!

The real PHUNN has been with our "guest dogs" ... anything from a MinPin (Heidi) to
neighbor Cali and her "brother" Zig, a generously-sized Labby mix; to huge
Foster Mutt Blackie/Hobo.
We have managed to walk ?? ;) through the Big Lake Parks with FIVE in tow at a time!

Husky_mom
04-18-2007, 01:06 PM
we donīt go on walks.........

itīs like we are in a marathon!!! LOL

I used to always "walk" my huskies together and have the same issue of tangling leashes and switching sides constantly...... now I "walk" one by one......wonder why??

one time I got tangled in the leashes and the cute puppies of mine decided to take a sprint.....with me still tangled!!......

Cinder & Smoke
04-18-2007, 01:23 PM
... itīs like we are in a marathon!!! LOL

One time I got tangled in the leashes and the cute puppies of mine decided to
take a sprint ... with me still tangled!!

:confused:
And your point was ... ??

"Still Tangled" ... but were you (more or less) still UPright?

"Tangled" is a way of life - we can manage that with ONE Dawg!
"Tangled but Still Moving" shows some skill ...

"Tangled, Sprinting, and still able to Holler" "STOP, or I'm Gonna KILL You!!"
displays world-class Dawg Walkin Talent!

charlestongirl
04-18-2007, 01:25 PM
Oh I could NOT leave one dog inside and take one out! They would cry and feel so bad! I would too! Noooo. In fact, if one has to go to the vet, even though it's a HUGE hassle I will take them both. I can't take one out and not the other, no matter where it is. So we go together.

Husky_mom
04-18-2007, 01:36 PM
"Tangled, Sprinting, and still able to Holler" "STOP, or I'm Gonna KILL You!!"
displays world-class Dawg Walkin Talent!

aww, thank you Phred!!..... you just made me smile.......LOL

pessimisaurus
04-18-2007, 03:13 PM
Wow Im amazed so many of you can walk your dogs together!!

First off, I usually dont walk my dogs, Alki gets most of her exercise by running in the yard and Brock at the dog park. But when I do it is rarely at the same time. The reason is because Brock & Alki are both reactive on leash, meaning if they see another dog when they are leashed they whine/bark/etc, become very anxious, and would aggress if the dog came near- however when they are leashed next to each other often redirect their anxiety on each other! I have walked them together a number of times though, usually at night with less chance of running into another dog, and have done well. Ive become good at hearing/spotting on coming dogs before them and will move aside, or duck behind a car until the dogs pass. That was when I lived downtown though, now that Im in the suburbs more it would prob be more challenging since there are tons of dogs left in front yards that bark and fence fight, etc (why I never leave my dogs out back unattended....).

However there are some places I can take the 2 of them together. Ive been to a number of parks where I can have Alki off leash playing fetch so shes completely disinterested in the other dogs, and just keep Brock distracted and that works perfectly. Or I only take them out with a friend so we each have a dog. I imagine Ill be able to walk Brock and Royal together though because Royal wont be reactive. Brock & Alki were rescues and essentially came that way. lol My dogs are a lot of work!

M&M's Mommy
04-18-2007, 03:23 PM
I walk Mocha & Muffin together. Missy doesn't get walked. She got all her excercise chasing balls & playing fetch, plus she doesn't like other dogs (she would bark her head out when she sees other dogs)

lizbud
04-18-2007, 04:26 PM
I am able to walk two dogs at the same time, but I don't walk MY two
at the same time. :) Their personalities are so different that I walk them
differently.

Kfamr
04-18-2007, 04:44 PM
I walk 2 at a time. Sometimes 1 at a time if I feel like 4 walks. :p

I've walked 3 at a time and did fine, I just feel safer only doing two.

Danegirl2208
04-18-2007, 05:52 PM
I walk both at the same time....they walk very nicely on lead, so there are no issues. :)

Tollers-n-Dobes
04-18-2007, 05:53 PM
I walk them all separately. It's just easier that way for various reasons. When I get my Toller I'll probably walk her and Tango together eventually, but until then, I'll continue to take them separately.

joycenalex
04-18-2007, 07:28 PM
duke was totally the best dog on leash, as close to perfect as you can imagine, a beautiful heel, check with me before he'd lift leg to mark, someone (not me) trained him well. alex is so-so, he will heel okay, but when we're on the sniffy walk, i.e. the after i've been cooped up alllll day i gotta explore the big world sniff everything, he can be a bit of a pill. princess peanut is a challange, switch sides, stop suddenly, you name it, she'll do it. i know no one ever took her for a walk on a leash before i did. she loved the idea the first time, but was horrified to discove a gentle leader actually works and when i say stop, i mean it. if i need a walk to clear my head or meditate over some idea, alex is the one to go with me, he'd walk to south america if i asked him, just please a few stops to check pee mail please. ;) .
and phred, thanks for the laugh

4 Dog Mother
04-18-2007, 07:45 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid199/p9fd25deff37f05e14567e4d112714b03/f09dc69a.jpg

Need I say more? Actually if one of us is walking them, one has 3 and the other two. If I walk them by myself then I take 3 and then 2. This was Carl when I was picking up after one of them!

cyber-sibes
04-18-2007, 07:47 PM
I walk them at the same time, on two leashes. They have it pretty well worked out, although we often end up with one rather "braided" leash, but they don't seem to notice. with moving to the city, I will take them once a day together, and then just Sherman for two reasons: 1) He could use some extra walking to drop a couple pounds, and 2) We need to practice his leash manners. Car to parking lot hasn't given him much experience, and he's about to become a city dog.

mike001
04-18-2007, 08:11 PM
I would look like 4 dog Mother, all of them together and whatever dog/s I happen to be babysitting. Mine aren't all the same size though so it's a bit harder.But they are all turned loose in the bush when we get there.I have the neatest homemade contraption to keep them together, not great to look at, but works great.

lute
04-18-2007, 08:40 PM
I normally walk them one by one. Beanie doesn't go for many walks as he runs around the yard and gets his runnin time in. Gracie goes for a couple of walks a day. Last year when I had my rescue Sibe Kodie I walked both him and Gracie at the same time. They loved walking together.

Cinder & Smoke
04-18-2007, 09:43 PM

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid199/p9fd25deff37f05e14567e4d112714b03/f09dc69a.jpg

Need I say more?

Yuppers, THAT's the Multi-Dawg Dance!! ;)

NICE *steppin* there, Mr. Carl!!

Left-Left over Right-Left; Right-Right under Left-Left; Left-Right reverses and attempts a circle around the legs; Snoop gives a nice TUG ...
Let's all go in a different direction for a while ...

Twisterdog
04-18-2007, 09:52 PM
I normally just put them all in the van and drive them out in the desert and let them run wild.

If I do decide to go for a walk around the neighborhood, I just take one dog at a time.

tikeyas_mom
04-19-2007, 07:28 PM
I cannot walk Tikeya, Eb, and Daisy together.. Daisy and Eb pull. and Tikeya will pull if she sees another dog pulling (=she always wants to be in front)... When I walk my dogs one-by-one they heal and act alot more sain.

WELOVESPUPPIES
04-20-2007, 04:09 PM
I walk Duke and Champ together on seperate leashes. I bought the dual thing and gave it a try(several tries) but it is hard when one is a boy and one is a girl, he thinks he needs to mark everything taller than a blade of grass :rolleyes: and she is trying to drag him along by the neck :D Oh and a couple times he lifted the leg on her side :o yep...she got wet :D