PDA

View Full Version : petloss

Charliesmom
07-09-2002, 09:57 AM
:( My dog Charlie was just put to sleep yesterday. I know it was the right thing to do for him. He was 181/2 yrs old. We had him since he was 6 weeks old. The grief I am feeling is unbelievable. I miss him so much. Can anyone give me some advice that has been through this and how to deal with it. I love Charlie and he is forever in my heart. Please any help? Thanks and God bless.

mugsy
07-09-2002, 10:05 AM
Having had to deal with the loss of 2 pets in one day recently, I totally feel your pain. Charlie will never leave your heart, he will be there forever. It just takes time to get over the loss and even then you never totally do. I just found Butterscotch and Smokey's collars yesterday and it sent me into a crying jag. But the old saying time heals all wounds fits here.

You will be in my thoughts.

L-A.
07-09-2002, 10:14 AM
Oh honey, I just went through the same thing with my Smudgie.. He was put down May 7th, he was 10, and I found him at 5 weeks... In the beginning of June, I lost 3 cats within a week..

It still hurts...

The pain does get easier, love, and eventually you will be able to say "Remember when......" without breaking down, you'll be able to smile at the memories...

Smudgie was my prince, he loved to be picked up and he loved to dance the waltz...

I'm here for you..

ramanth
07-09-2002, 10:20 AM
It has been awhile since I lost a pet, but I know how you feel. It hurts so much but the pain will ease.

Here is a great site for pet owners who are going thru the same thing you are...

Pet Loss Grief Support Website (http://www.petloss.com)

My heart felt sympathies and prayers to you.

sasvermont
07-09-2002, 10:24 AM
So sorry to hear of your loss. We have all been there and it takes some time to move on. One never forgets such a beloved creature. There are SO many good little guys out there in need of a good home, so I would suggest you consider adopting another animal. There is NEVER a replacement, but boy, does it help having a new furry face around the house - and to get those furry little kisses etc.

My heart goes out to you right now.

DoggiesAreTheBest
07-09-2002, 10:25 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk, CharliesMom.

I am sorry to hear about your loss. As Molly said, time will heal your pain. It is a slow process. Charlie lives on in your memories...

Dixieland Dancer
07-09-2002, 10:40 AM
Time heals. With time you will be able to move forward and cherish the memories you had with your very much loved friend.

I lost my first dog (a beagle/Doxy mix) in a boating accident. Then with my first Golden, I had to make the decision to put her down at 13 1/2 because of hip dysplasia. She was the world to me (just like my current two Goldens are) and I can look back with fondness and cherished memories. Sometimes my two current Goldies do things to remind me of my much loved and missed first Goldie!!

Give it time! I wish you many happy cherished memories. :)

Karen
07-09-2002, 10:42 AM
The Rainbow Bridge story may comfort you. It is posted here (http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7429). Welcome to Pet Talk, and picture Charlie happy, and painfree, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Sudilar
07-09-2002, 10:54 AM
I am so sorry for your great loss. I know so well what you are feeling right now. Just last week my parent's dog went to Rainbow Bridge suddenly and too soon. In time, you will be able to think back and remember the good times with dear Charlie. When a loved pet of mine dies, I gather all their pictures into an album. I buy a Sandicast (or other) figurine of the breed and put their ID tags around their neck. I then go off to the shelters to save another. There is nothing like another poor soul to love you to pieces for rescuing them. When you start to feel sad, the new rescue will take your mind off of your great pain and make you love again. My heart goes out to you!

Sue

Albea
07-09-2002, 11:48 AM
So sorry to hear about the loss of you beloved companion. There are never enough words to express the sorrow. It might help you to check:
http://www.petloss.com/ , a place where you can share your feelings with other people who are going, or have gone, through the same sad experience.

momoffuzzyfaces
07-09-2002, 11:58 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. I firmly believe you will see each other again. I've lost lots of dear pets in my life and time will make it easier for you. I always picture my pets running happily and free of pain while they wait for me to catch up with them. Check out the Rainbow Bridge story. I find it very comforting.
(((HUGS)))

lovemymaltese
07-09-2002, 12:27 PM
I am so sorry about you loss. I pray that you have the strength to remember all the great times.

Charliesmom
07-09-2002, 07:52 PM
Thanks so much for all your kind words. It helps to know that others care. It has blessed me to see so many kind words of support. Thanks again so much and God bless.

zippy-kat
07-09-2002, 08:03 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss. You have truly come to one of the best sites on the net. You won't find a bigger more compassionate (and funny!) group of ppl.

We all have our own ways to remember the lost ones. Perhaps if you are not ready to adopt another furbaby, you can make a donation to your favorite shelter in Charlie's name.

Welcome to PetTalk. We're always ready to lend our hearts, prays, and thoughts to others, so if you need us, know we are here for you.

~ Tonya

gini
07-09-2002, 09:14 PM
Oh, I feel for you. It is so very difficult to lose a beloved pet.

The healing just takes time - as hard as that is to hear.

Thank about the comfort of the Rainbow Bridge and try to imagine your pet once again in his prime, running in a meadow, maybe chasing a butterfly. And no more pain or suffering in his future.

You might want to start a journal about him, things you remember that are funny and endearing that you don't want to ever forget.

You have come to the right place as Tonya has said - all of us care and we do understand.

Charliesmom
07-11-2002, 02:02 PM
Thanks again for so many kind words. I love the Rainbow Bridge story. It is beautiful. Does anyone know of any other poems that deal with losing a pet that might help? Or stories? I find comfort in them. I don't feel so alone then. I realize there are so many who have suffered this great loss that I feel. Thanks again for all the help you all have give. God bless, Debbie

ramanth
07-11-2002, 02:16 PM
I believe there are poems and stories at:

Pet Loss Grief Support Website (http://www.petloss.com)

*HUGS*

anna_66
07-11-2002, 09:13 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I know how hard it is to loose your pet. They are not just animals, they are like kids. The people on this board have helped me heal after the death of my Keisha Monster, as I think their words have helped you a little. My pain will never go away, and as I've said, it's been a little over a year now, but the one thing that keeps me going sometimes is to remember the good things, and the happy times we had with her. If you would like to read the story I wrote about her check out my website below and read Keisha's story. Writing about it was hard, but somehow it made me feel better.
I hope you'll stick around and see how wonderful of a place this is. Take care, remember the good times and know you will be together again someday.
Anna